My Kitchen Rules – Are These The New Villains?

Reality TV is like the modern day vaudeville, the heroes and villains are very much flagged so the audience knows when to boo and hiss.

This year on My Kitchen Rules, this Little Miss Cupcake team from South Australia look like the first set of villains on the show. The promo above seems to have in flashing neon lights “villain, villain, villain”. Not that this is a negative thing as last year’s villains, Jen and Leigh won the series.

This apparently saw them receive a lot of negative comments on the social media according to a recent interview in TV Week.

However good to see on the comments on the finale blog post on Reality Ravings most commenter’s here thought they were worthy winners.

However they did say in last week’s TV Week they had received some flak who did not believe they should have won.  They said online forums were flooded with complaints and a current affairs program even questioning whether the girls had any help along the way. This A Current Affair story (which I was in and you get to see my kitchen as well…) could be the one they mean.

However Jennifer says “I cried, because the story was so horrible – saying that we had earpieces on us [so we could] hear the recipes”. And this was not in that story so I am not sure which show she meant.

The TV WEEK story says:

The girls are adamant they played the game fairly putting the backlash down to jealous contestants who were put out by the fact they weren’t there to make friends.

“[A rival contestant] spoke to a New Zealand radio station saying we were conniving, horrible people who were rude and abrupt,” Jennifer says.

“It was a year ago and they’re still carrying on about it,” Leigh, 33, adds. “We didn’t socialise with [the other contestants], purely because it was a game for us. We didn’t want to get caught up in a friendship trap and then play against each other for a lot of money.”

The also dismiss claims the show is rigged:

“If it was rigged, then Nic and Rocco would have won, because they were the people’s choice,” Leigh points out. “It just doesn’t make sense – it’s such a contradiction.”

Since the show Jen has been busy having a baby boy called Harlow, as well as just releasing her own range of Thai curry products. Leigh also has become engaged to Anthony Nemet they will marry in 2013.

Last year My Kitchen Rules was one of the best reality shows on TV due to its casting and it will be interesting to see if they hit the jackpot again in 2013.

My Kitchen Rules season four is likely start on SEVEN after the Australian Open finishes as it has previous years.

1 brain dead dave { 12.31.12 at 10:25 am }

I’ve already developed an intense dislike of the young culinary know- all punk who bleats “Game on, moll ” in the current promo. Clearly he’s already an embarrassment to his team mate.

This polarising pinhead should have been on Junior Ma$terchef. Do ya feel lucky,punk?

2 Daisy { 12.31.12 at 1:10 pm }

Hubby and I are never fans of the CRIERS. Was it Emma in the beret that cried all the time in MC? Preferred upbeat Tregan. Love to watch the villains.

3 brain dead dave { 12.31.12 at 1:27 pm }

The criers should be sliced and diced imo. Yes , it was Emma crying all the time. I’ve heard nothing of her dessert business here. I cannot stand crying reality tv fodder. It doesn’t mean one is passionate and it’s totally unprofessional. Leave it for infommercials.

Tregan was better but boy, she wet herself meeting one of those celeb chefs, maybe it was Jamie. She behaved like an incontinent One Direction fan. Cringe.

4 reality Raver { 12.31.12 at 2:01 pm }

BDD – it was Kylie that was having the fan moment with Jamie Oliver and then conveniently had that napkin on her when he was there.

5 brain dead dave { 12.31.12 at 2:06 pm }

You’re right,RR. it was the ponytail flicker. I’m gonna have a cry now.

I’ve a dim memory of Tregan going all The Price Is Right about something.

6 Daisy { 12.31.12 at 2:12 pm }

Loved the way the weathy mother and daughter in law in the last MKR(chaotic chefs that made the pea and cheese soup without the cheese) dressed for their waterfront dinner party. They looked like tropical fish.

BDD To my recollection Tregan stayed in Price mode.

7 Isabel { 12.31.12 at 3:37 pm }

Ooooh, can’t wait! The shorts we keep seeing are very enticing, it’s going to be even better than the last season.

And I read yesterday that Biggest Loser is already being filmed, I think it usually starts some time in February.

So, some great blogging coming up:-)

8 brain dead dave { 12.31.12 at 3:54 pm }

It’s promising. That’s certainly the biggest kitchen fire I’ve seen on TV in the promo.
Hilarious to see someone yelling “We need a fire extinguisher ! ” repeatedly. No kidding. Actually , it’s a golden opportunity to educate the public about how to safely douse a kitchen fire without one. How many Aust homes have fire extinguishers,after all? Probably a wet tea towel over the blaze would be my first move.

9 brain dead dave { 12.31.12 at 5:08 pm }

Nic and Rocco have just opened a macaron shop in Adelaide. Must have been in the last day or two. It’s imaginatively called “Nic and Rocco’s”, though it looks like one of their fathers is putting in the hard yards behind the counter today. $2.50 per macaron.

We’ll see .The previous macaron joint on the same premises went belly up in less than a year.

10 Morgan { 12.31.12 at 7:52 pm }

RR – Re: Jen & Leigh being the villians of the season – I have to disagree with you on that, I thought Thomas & Carla and Peter & Gary were way bigger villians than they were.

Can’t wait for the new season!

11 Gabby { 12.31.12 at 9:45 pm }

Have to say all the newbies look very similar to last years contestants, all from the same moulds I would say, bit disappointing. Anyway bring it on, looking forward to it nevertheless.

12 Daisy { 12.31.12 at 11:27 pm }

Morgan I agree. After the first few weeks I started to like Jen. I could just barely tolerate the pompous Gary and Peter but OOOOHHHH Thomas and Carla were definitely the villains. I didn’t know about RR back then but I read what people were writing about Thomas on other sites. I didn’t think it was even legal to write the things that people wanted to do to Thomas.

13 Linda Smith { 01.01.13 at 12:48 pm }

Gotta love the villains on these shows. My favourites are always the baddies. Loved Margie from Biggest Loser, Davin from I Will Survive, Jen from last year Kitchen Rules. These girls look like they could fulfill those roles! Hope so!!!!!

14 Georgie { 01.01.13 at 12:50 pm }

bdd @ #3 – you were right about Tregan and the Jamie Oliver challenge.

RR wrote in her post on that episode:
“Twitter went into meltdown, well the female fans did, as did the competitors on the show when Jamie hit the screen. In fact the producers milked the introduction for a full ten minutes, with Tregan just about laying an egg in excitement and Kylie in tears before he even walked into the Masterchef kitchen.”

15 brain dead dave { 01.01.13 at 2:43 pm }

Thanks, Georgie. It’s the only thing I can remember Tregan doing for the whole series.

Anyone see the Jowl$y interview on One Plus One on the weekend? He referred to himself and the two other judges as ” three old ,fat guys”.

16 Georgie { 01.01.13 at 4:01 pm }

I missed that bdd, but another MC spin-off about cooking and eating healthy food might be appropriate – Getting Your Lard Off.

17 Littlepetal { 01.01.13 at 4:59 pm }

Happy New Year everyone. Looking forward to the MKR and Biggest Loser.

18 brain dead dave { 01.01.13 at 5:04 pm }

Same to you, Littlepetal. I know you could knock out a cheaper, better macaron than Nic and Rocco. I’ll go for a walk later and cruise by their new shop , see if they’re there.

19 Danielle { 01.01.13 at 5:33 pm }

Emma opened up her dessert catering Eden’s Desserts but only lasted about two months before she closed shop saying she was too busy. She should have waited until she learnt more and her post Masterchef life had calmed down.
I know people don’t like criers but they don’t look too bad. The brother and sister look worse especially with him calling another contestant a moll.

20 Littlepetal { 01.01.13 at 6:13 pm }

I have been trying my hands on different flavours and made more than 100 macarons. Hubby called me Queen of Zumbo but I am sure Nic and Rocco’s macarons are better than mine.

21 Gabby { 01.01.13 at 6:52 pm }

Happy New Year one and all. You all look in fine form for the start of the new year, bring it on.. May you have a great, happy, healthy, safe and prosperous one! With plenty to say on RR. Keep us on our toes!