Masterchef Australia – Andy and Ben Cooking Up Some Projects

Masterchef winner Andy Allen and his best buddy Ben Milbourne are cooking up some project ideas together.

They talked to TV WEEK and they said they had a couple of ideas.

They told the magazine:

“We’re pitching one to the LifeStyle Channel, which would be us [travelling to] my hometown in Tassie, then going around the Hunter Valley in New South Wales, where Andy grew up, to see what got us to where we are. Then, we’d finish it off with a trip to Mexico.”

The second idea the duo have on the boil involves Masterchef judge and food critic Matt Preston.

“It would be a Charlie’s Angel – type situation, where we’d go out to do challenges he’s set for us,” Ben says.

“We’ve kept in pretty good contact with him,” Andy adds. “He’s always there for advice.”

Andy also talks about how he wrote his cookbook and does say he did write the recipes. Something I was a tad suss about due to how fast the book was released combined with his lack of food experience.

TV Week writes:

Not only did Andy take out season four’s title, he also secured a lucrative book deal and the chance for the world to check out his favourite recipes. Problem was: he didn’t have many to offer.

“I had to provide the publishers with 80 to 100 recipes and have them tested in three weeks,” he says.

“I was so inexperienced going into the show – I didn’t have 80 recipes!”

Panic set in, and there was only one person who could calm him down.

“I called Ben and started freaking out,” Andy recalls.

“If you look at previous winners – Julie Goodwin is a mum ad cooks every night, same with Kate Bracks, and Adam Liaw is one smart dude – then there’s me who’s 24 years old and a sparky.”

Alone with a laptop and a million thoughts running through his head, Andy began jotting down all the food that inspires him. It’s this list that forms the basis of his first book The Next Element.

“I had most of the recipes by the time I went down to Tasmania to see Ben. Then, we tested them all and we surprisingly didn’t have many stuff-ups,” says Andy.

Would you watch a cooking show with Ben and Andy? Would you like to see them on TV again? Has anyone actually bought Ben’s cookbook?

Related Posts

1 brain dead dave { 01.09.13 at 10:55 am }

Simple answer to your questions, RR.

No , no and no.

They can’t cook.

2 Georgie { 01.09.13 at 11:09 am }

The Ben and Andy Show? Umm…………(long pause). Well if they can’t cook then maybe they can team up with Sophie and Vernesa. Umm……………………………….(longer pause). Okay then all four could join Brian and Vogue – surely between the six of them they could fill a half hour?

3 Georgie { 01.09.13 at 11:21 am }

Now here’s an idea – a spin-off from ‘Come Dine With Me’ called ‘Come Cook For Me’.

B&A could travel around the countryside cooking for contestants and after a couple of seasons practicing, they might be ready to launch their own cooking show?

4 Daisy { 01.09.13 at 11:24 am }

To all of you in the east, again, stay cool and stay safe.

5 Daisy { 01.09.13 at 11:26 am }

Please refresh my memory Andy was the one we saw sitting on the jetty with the burgers. So which one was Ben? Was he the one with the eyebrows?

6 Georgie { 01.09.13 at 11:28 am }

Daisy, Ben made himself famous during MC by offering to throw himself on his sword to save blubbering Emma. It was the highlight of the series – they were both blubbering!

7 brain dead dave { 01.09.13 at 11:29 am }

“Come Write A Recipe Book For Me”

Ben was the one shooting his culinary load over his beige tacos.

8 Daisy { 01.09.13 at 11:41 am }

Thanks Georgie. As you can probably tell, I often watch shows without noticing names.

9 Daisy { 01.09.13 at 11:46 am }

BTW I think the cutest MC contestant ever has been the blond surfer with the long hair.

10 Daisy { 01.09.13 at 11:48 am }

BBD@7 Thanks BD hhmmm a little less helpful. But I’m thining Mexican.

11 Khun Del { 01.09.13 at 11:58 am }

I agree with BDD. No, no and no.

He is still very young so I think he should go and get an apprenticeship if cooking is really what he wants to do. He has a lot to learn.

12 Joseph Skyrim { 01.09.13 at 12:06 pm }

At least he’s trying to do something. How many contestants have had their own shows now? 4 or 5? (Out of how many? :P )

Also how about this for a title: “My Burrito in your Taco – the Ben and Andy show”? Hmm that actually sounds scary. x.x

13 brain dead dave { 01.09.13 at 12:07 pm }

Mentioning “apprenticeship” to a Ma$terchef contestant is like showing a crucifix to a vampire.

Nice title, Joseph. I humbly offer “Eat My Cheeks” on Ben’s behalf.

14 Georgie { 01.09.13 at 12:12 pm }

Rofl bdd.

15 Maryann { 01.09.13 at 12:47 pm }

Andy needs to learn to cook. Julia is now an apprentice with Zumbo.

16 Isabel { 01.09.13 at 1:05 pm }

Andy was supposed to be on ACA last night but the programme was shelved because of the fires – perhaps be on tonight ..

I saw the book in David Jones and had a look through – it’s actually beautiful!

17 Reality raver { 01.09.13 at 1:22 pm }

Isabel I might be in that ACA story as well…

18 Daisy { 01.09.13 at 2:04 pm }

RR In that case Rolf and I will be watching and waiting.

19 Rosie { 01.09.13 at 2:45 pm }

Another no, no and no here.

And only 80 odd recipes? Most of the monthly cooking magazines have more than that. And are way cheaper (than what I imagine Andy’s book to be).

20 A.P { 01.09.13 at 3:23 pm }

Daisy@5, just think Mexican with Ben, its all he knew how to cook.
Wade had the eyebrows and was one of the invisibles who was treated like crap by the judges along with Fillippo.
I might browse through the book out of curiosity but won’t buy it, it will probably end up like Pippa Middleton’s book which has been reduced to the bargain basement price of ten dollars.

21 Maz { 01.09.13 at 11:37 pm }

Saw Andy at the local bookshop trying to flog his book before Christmas. No-one was around…not even a giggly teen. Doesn’t bode well for the proposed series.

BDD comment #13. LOL. So true.

22 Izobel2 { 01.10.13 at 9:45 am }

What book did Pippa Middleton have AP? Surely not cooking!

23 Daisy { 01.10.13 at 10:48 am }

If I was Pippa, I would like to write a book called “How to Marry up”. Of course ER and Phillip wouldn’t allow it but she would kill it at the sales. Think of all the princess wannabes that there are nowadays.
Perhaps I could get my hubby to write “How to Score Arm Candy” . PLEASE don’t take me seriously.

24 A.P { 01.10.13 at 12:20 pm }

Izobel2, it was about catering for parties which is related to the business her family run.

25 JK { 01.10.13 at 2:25 pm }

No, no and no.

26 Carole { 01.10.13 at 5:02 pm }

I haven’t seen the book, but most of the MasterChef books are way out of my price range. The one with Matt Preston with him setting them challenges sounds interesting, but it would depend on what else was on and what it was up against.

27 Golo i Wesolo { 01.10.13 at 7:33 pm }

What happened to all the other fail cooking shows with Masterchef contestants that Channel 10 tried to shove down our throats? Justine’s gone. Aaron’s gone. Not even Julie hasn’t shown her fat ass on TV in a while either.

Not only do these two maggots lack cooking skills, but apparently a brain as well. They would be more successful releasing a sextape together, I’d imagine.

28 Carole { 01.10.13 at 8:30 pm }

Actually Julie Goodwin has a regular weekly spot on The Today Show.

29 brain dead dave { 01.11.13 at 12:48 am }

JG can do so much with just three ingredients- cream , sugar and lard.

Food to literally die for.

30 Morgan { 01.11.13 at 7:46 am }

I had an inkling Andy was gonna flop post show.

Julia is a Zumbo apprentice? Good for her.

31 Joseph Skyrim { 01.11.13 at 9:29 am }

Good on Julia for apprenticing too! :)

@Golo – A Taste of Travel (Alana and Skye) and Love to Share (Aaron Harvie) was showing on Saturdays but I’m not sure they did so well.

Not sure how Poh’s Kitchen went / is going. I think she reached a Season 3?

Everyday Gourmet (Justine Schofield) is still showing (possibly reruns) though she did reach a Season 2. Double episode this Sunday afternoon if you are interested. I actually like her show. :P

32 brain dead dave { 01.11.13 at 9:42 am }

Justine’s show is pretty good. I always salivate for it…though not for the food.

33 Anonymous { 01.12.13 at 6:50 pm }

NO, No and No. They both can’t cook.

34 sean { 09.05.13 at 11:54 pm }

amazing so many people think that these guys cant cook. What are these critics skill levels like, I suggest zero to match there IQ.

35 Retha { 01.02.14 at 5:02 am }

Yes, yes and I’d love to!!!

I just love these guys, how many of you entered and won Masterchef Australia – they were awesome!!!

36 Honey Bee { 01.02.14 at 6:07 am }

Sean, even those who don’t cook still have had a life time of experience, in eating.

37 brain dead dave { 01.02.14 at 9:51 am }

Andy couldn’t fillet a fish, let alone cook. He didn’t have enough recipes for a cookbook~ just recipes for disasters.

“There” IQ, sean? You sound as sharp as a bowling ball.

38 sean { 01.02.14 at 10:19 am }

Very good brain dead dave, well picked up. Did not realise that my text had audio!