Masterchef: The Professionals – Ticks All The Boxes And Then Some

There is a lot of media mileage being made of the feud between Marco Pierre White and Gordon Ramsay, however there is one is mistake made by the Masterchef: The Professionals judge that would not have occurred under Gordon Ramsay’s watch. You will have to watch the show to see if you can pick it but hint it happens in service.

Having said that Marco Pierre has many advantages that Gordon Ramsay does not….. as well has being far more articulate.

However for those who are not fans of Marco probably want to know if they should check out the show and the answer is a resounding yes.

It has to be acknowledged that first episodes of reality shows are difficult as they have to introduce contestants so you feel you get to know them a bit, have some cooking action so the viewer does not get bored, and tantalise the us about what is happening in future episodes.

Masterchef: The Professionals does all this well which is no mean feat in an hour episode.

Being professional chefs we can see the cooking is going to be good and the egos are already enlarged. These are no shy amateurs. Most of these contestants are used to be top dog in their kitchen and calling the shots, even in episode one you can already see tensions brewing when they have to collaborate.

With $200,000 for the winner, a round the world trip and also a potential celebrity chef media career for these people it is game on from the first episode.

The production is slick, the contestant back stories are moving, and Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston have a nice frission.

The new Masterchef Kitchen is slick but the opening shots of Melbourne are not quite as iconic as Sydney (ok I am biased), and the entry to the kitchen is set up to make it look like a working kitchen lane way.

Fans of the show will not be disappointed and new viewers should be quickly hooked in.

Masterchef: The Professionals starts Sunday 20 January at 7.30pm and continues Monday and Tuesday night’s on Network TEN.

There will be a recap of the first episode up after it has screened, however I am currently on my way to the USA for three weeks, and may not be able to access Masterchef: The Professionals. I had not expected the Network’s to start shows three weeks before the ratings year commence. I am still working out if or how to access it.  Worse case scenario is I will put an open post after the episode airs for people to chat about it.

Please note this is not an issue for My Kitchen Rules and those recaps will be up after it has screen in Australia.

1 brain dead dave { 01.13.13 at 12:01 pm }

I can only hope that the name dropping, sweating lardarse who has cooked for Sean Connery or whoever is eliminated quickly. He’s already getting on my nerves.

I get that there would be a lot of “friction” between Jowl$y’s thighs but should use my three years of high school French to mention that “frisson” is probably what you meant there re Jowl$y and Marco, RR.

2 Daisy { 01.13.13 at 12:20 pm }

There’s another 70s thing. High School French. I loved it.

3 Georgie { 01.13.13 at 12:43 pm }

I don’t have a problem watching Marco or Jowlsy or the professional chefs, in fact I know I’d enjoy the show. However, if the programming conflicts at all with any MKR episodes, I’ll be watching the latter because I’m a total fan.

4 brain dead dave { 01.13.13 at 1:02 pm }

I feel the same, Georgie. This is a shabby attempt from Ch 10 to blow the superior MKR out of the (alkalised) water. I’ll plonk for Manu’s mumbling over jiggling jowls every time.

If I know $hine and Ch 10, they’ll be shamelessly repeating the Marco and Jowl$y show on One all weekend , every weekend.

5 Daisy { 01.13.13 at 1:25 pm }

I can place at least 2 of the MKR judges as characters from Wind in the Willows.

6 A.P { 01.13.13 at 3:09 pm }

I’ll be putting MKR first as well but will tape the other if there are clashes with times.
I like watching “amatas” better, they make more mistakes and keep it real wheras the professionals have surely achieved their goals of being a good chef already so why do they want more?
Some of them have cooked for important people and seem to have done it all anyway.

7 Daisy { 01.13.13 at 3:20 pm }

Mistake @5 I meant the Masterchef Judges.
I have a feeling I too will prefer to watch the amateurs cook.

8 gidgetvonlarue { 01.13.13 at 3:28 pm }

Give me Marco over Gordon anyday. I think he’s sexy as hell, and let’s face it – he taught Gordon, not the other way around.

9 brain dead dave { 01.13.13 at 5:41 pm }

I wonder how many “Professionals” would have applied if the prize money was the usual Ma$terchef chicken feed of $100, 000 that the “amatas” trash three months of their deluded lives for?

No kitsch cookbook deal either?

10 Maz { 01.13.13 at 10:06 pm }

There is a drinking game to be had with the name dropping contestant. Name a celeb take a drink.

I just hope the professionals don’t blub their way through like the ‘amatas’.

Re: MKR…what the hell is in the water on the Gold Coast that the contestants from there like to think they are cultured.

11 Joseph Skyrim { 01.14.13 at 9:05 am }

Definitely looking forward to this one! For some reason I never got into MKR as much as Masterchef though.

12 PollyB { 01.14.13 at 9:40 am }

And I was hoping this was about professionals. Once again shine production, direction and editing come to the fore with TEARS in the ads already. Bad luck for those of us who want to watch for the FOOD! UK MC Professionals starts tonight and Top Chef next Monday. UK Celebrity MC just finished. I didn’t know any of the celebs but the finalists developed into great cooks. With UK you get into the kitchens of high end and Michelin chefs. Great viewing. And drooling!

13 brain dead dave { 01.14.13 at 10:18 am }

Yes, two different criers in the ads so far. Professionals my ar$e. It’s more like:

“Where’s my wail? Where’s my wail? Where’s my wail?”

14 Anna { 01.14.13 at 8:54 pm }

Will watch Master Chef until it gets on my nerves… hope ‘I’ve cooked for celebrities’ chef is out very quickly. As well as the bozo who asks ‘how many mistakes have you made?’

Will watch MKR as well… Have to watch it since I know Manu. Already promised him I’ll watch.

IF Curtis was really trained by Marco, then why the hell did he sell out?

15 Danielle { 01.15.13 at 12:14 am }

These people are chefs not robots they are allowed to get emotional once or twice on the show. I think Anthony is just on the show for the title and the exposure because he would already be rich with worldwide experience.
Cameron is the one who asked about the mistakes and forgot the duck and he seems to swear so I hope he leaves early.
Should be good: less mistakes and more egos. I hope Chrissie does well since she has been out of a professional kitchen for a while.

16 Golo i Wesolo { 01.15.13 at 1:01 am }

@ 15: Appealing to emotions has always been a great tactic to get viewers and judges on side. Just look at Julie Fatwin; the only reason she won was because she broke down like a bloody sook after every challenge. It’s one thing to be emotional “once or twice,” but quite another when you’re breaking down every time the judges mutter the word “challenge.”

As for MKR, I’ve never watched it before and I don’t plan to thanks to those horrible Channel 7 advertisements that I have to endure every year as I’m watching the Australian Open. Last year, it was that “yeah” girl; I was silently hoping that somebody would shove a pipe down her throat, but sadly that never eventuated. This year, it appears to be “smiley Sam.” Channel 7 must really be scraping at the bottom of the barrel if their quirky contestant this year smiles a lot and is clearly homosexual.

MasterChef might be a stretch for me too after the previous season’s disaster.

17 Daisy { 01.15.13 at 1:31 am }

The criers cry when they’re happy, when they’re sad, when they’re overwhelmed, cry when a hat is dropped. They cry EVERY week. And not just a tiny tear but great tears gushing a welling up. Sure, get emotional when the situation actually warrants it but every week??? Really???? If it’s so tragic then why isn’t every contestant crying? Grow up and Suck it up!

18 Daisy { 01.15.13 at 1:35 am }

Go see the hundreds of kids laying hungry and homeless in the streets in India and then have a good cry. Not over your stupid souffle.

19 Barney { 01.15.13 at 8:44 am }

We’ve seen a few tears on a promo. It doesn’t make these people ‘criers’.

20 Daisy { 01.15.13 at 10:18 am }

Barney, I’m referrring to the occasional competitior on previous MC shows. Most of the competitors make it through without over reacting to a dish dilemma. Still what’s a season without someone annoying. Some small children wail like grandma died when they drop a pencil in class. Others show a bit of maturity and perspective.

21 A.P { 01.15.13 at 10:31 am }

Who could forget “Cry Beanie Emma”, she never stopped crying!

22 Daisy { 01.15.13 at 10:46 am }

Yes Emma’s the one that I was thinking of. Every time she cried Rolf and I would go “Oh no”, not again!”

23 Rosie { 01.15.13 at 10:53 am }

I am still very guarded about this show, but dammit, RR, you have piqued my interest. So I’ll have a look at the first episode, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to get past my extreme distaste for Marco.

24 Daisy { 01.15.13 at 10:59 am }

Mmm Rosie, me too. He looks as if he’s going to be angry with an over bloated ego. But the producers might just be playing that up. I guess they think no one wants to see a celeb who isn’t pompous.
The promos have done NOTHING to hook me in but comments on here have. Hey RR shouldn’t MC be paying you for that?

25 brain dead dave { 01.15.13 at 1:22 pm }

The criers are simply fools to participate in reality television, where every attempt by the producers is made to elicit emotional breakdowns because for a lot of the audience this is rivetingly “good television”.

26 brain dead dave { 01.15.13 at 1:36 pm }

PS ~ Jowl$y and $cowlsy will be on The Project tonight, discussing and promoting Ma$terchef “Professionals”.

27 Anna { 01.15.13 at 10:22 pm }

The producers think they know how to manipulate the audience… the only problem is that there is no point in imposing cry fest on us since we cannot vote :-)

Dave will you be watching Kel this year? The ad is already giving me the poops …

28 brain dead dave { 01.15.13 at 11:10 pm }

I’m planning to watch The Biggest Loser this year, Anna. Last year I stopped watching because Margie made me sick. I’m assuming the ad you mean is the one about “The Promise”, though it’s the only one I’ve seen so far.
I don’t expect too much from Shannan (aka Kel) as he’ll endorse any kind of snake oil. Okay, so he’s got to eat but everyone has their price and his is extremely low. The Commando is a different kind of mercenary, I guess, who’d make enough from corporate work not to be pimping garbage like Glucosamine, for example.

29 Daisy { 01.16.13 at 12:17 am }

Ok, I’m asking for an idea for Sunday night family dinner. We cook to different countries or concepts. Some that we’ve already done are
French farmhouse, Belgian, Singapore street, Peru, Mex, Cambodia, Vietnam, Japanese, Thai, Morroccan, Jamaican, Indian (Goan) , China (Guangzhou), American, Sri Lanka, Greek, Spanish, Brazil, Sweden,Mediterranean, Medieval, and the MC inspired mystery ingredient tasks. So can anyone give us a good idea to try for this week’s dinner?

30 Reality Raver { 01.16.13 at 12:25 am }

Rosie and Daisy – Not fans of Marco? I have to say I am. What I like about how they have placed him is in the kitchen with the contestants rather than as the judges as they have traditionally done. Last season on amateur masterchef some of my favourite episodes was when George was in the kitchen at the pass.

Daisy – What about Korean, German, Australian (see how people interpret that one). Sounds like a fun concept to do this weekly dinner of yours.

31 Daisy { 01.16.13 at 1:02 am }

RR Korean’s a possibility. Aussie might be good since it will probably be a hot evening. Maybe Aussie 70s. German might be better for winter. The good thing is I don’t actually have to cook. Rolf does our contribution.
As for Marco, I’m only going by the promos and that’s probably not a good indication. We’ll see what I think after a few episodes. I’m looking forward to it.

32 JK { 01.16.13 at 10:37 am }

The show needs Gordon Ramsey, then you can change the title to Hell’s Kitchen… because the ads seem to appear that way.

33 Anna { 01.16.13 at 1:08 pm }

Hi Dave, that’s the ad I was thinking about. Robo is not that much better, she is spuiking chocolate covered vitamins and claiming it’s her chocolate treat for the day…

I’ve read that this year they are training kids… if one of them will tell a kid that they’ll always be fat or that they are weak I’ll ring ch 10 & chew their ear off ….

34 TEN Signs Matt Preston For Two More Years | reality ravings { 01.20.13 at 9:51 am }

[…] One thing Matt Preston will be happy about is the reviews for Masterchef: The Professionals which starts tonight. They have been all been great. Here is my blog post Masterchef: The Professionals – It Ticks All The Boxes And Then Some. […]