American Idol – Entertaining But The Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj “Feud” Could Get Irritating

If they are counting on the Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj feud to keep the viewers hooked on American Idol it is a big risk.

The duelling divas in the first episode of Idol , to be shown on TEN tonight, at times were just plain irritating and Keith Urban was struggling to get air time and get his more sensible comments across. And poor Randy Jackson got none.

Interesting the judging panel is allegedly costing $36 million and considering Keith is only getting $4 million those girls are pulling in the big bucks so the producers must think they are going to pul in the viewers.

The American Idol auditions kick off in New York and also with some clever editing. They had the shots of the large crowds auditioning, which are from the initial ones where the judges are not there. Then they have shots of the judges arriving, and hopping out of their cars. Funny how there are no shots of them with the crowds – perhaps because they are not there.

What is good about Idol:

• Well it is Idol, and it is big;
  • The talent was there in fits and starts during the first episode;
  • Keith when he did manage to get screen time showed why Australia fell in love with him on The Voice but he was tough;
  • Mariah Carey when she was speaking about music did show she show she knew what she was talking about; and
  • The back stories were there on some of the contestants, and surprisingly one with the full package did not make it through.

What was not so great:

• The Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey feud was irritating and at times you wondered if they had been told to play it up but it took up too much screen time;
  • They need to dump the joke auditions, enough of the paying out of geeky asians;
  • There were some diamonds in the rough at the New York auditions but hopefully more potential stars will be shown.

Is it worth watching? Well it is Idol and it will be interesting to see Keith Urban shine in the huge arena that is this show.

American Idol on Network TEN tonight at 7.30pm.

1 Stacey { 01.17.13 at 3:42 pm }

RR would you recommend watching this? I’m kind of interested due to the controversy surrounding the two women, and of course I want to see Keith in action as I didn’t watch the Voice when he was on. However I absolutely hate NM so that might taint my viewing. She looks like a piece of curly dogshit covered in 100s and 1000s.

2 Izobel2 { 01.17.13 at 4:38 pm }

Good one Stacey!
I haven’t seen Idol in ages so I’m looking forward to it.
I too don’t like NM. I wonder if she’ll say anything constructive at all or if she is just going to worry about looking like fairy floss the whole time.

I noticed that the Voice and US SYTYCDance doesn’t put many rubbish auditions on screen, whereas Idol seems to lap it up. I’m not into rubbishing contestants, it’s annoying and embarrassing to me.

3 Georgie { 01.17.13 at 7:57 pm }

Have never watched this or Aus Idol before so just tuned in to see what all the fuss is about (and to see Keith :-) ). OMG, WhoTF is that creature with the long white hair? It looks positively ALIEN.

4 Matt { 01.17.13 at 9:44 pm }

RR I loved the feuding between NM & MC.

It’s a good gimmick – judges ripping shreds off each other instead of the contestants.

Manufactured or not I found it highly entertaining.

5 Stacey { 01.17.13 at 10:58 pm }

I could only sit through about 30 minutes of the episode, but my first impressions were:
Hate Nicky. She showed up with a bad attitude. Has been around 5 mins.
Nicole Kidman is an extremely lucky person.
Mariah stayed classy, but shes definatley earned her diva stripes.

Also, hope that one-legged guy comes back next year. I wanted to hear some of the stuff he wrote himself.

Might catch an encore later in the week, only for the fueding though. I just want Mariah to reach across and rip Nicky’s awful ice-white weave right off her head.

6 Reality Raver { 01.17.13 at 11:01 pm }

Stacey – I would say check it out. Some bits I liked, but nicki Minaj not so much. However first episode and the new judges are finding their feet.

izobel2 yeo NMR hair at one point did look like fairy floss! Great description

Georgia where Idol gets good is the live shows

Matt – that’s good to here maybe the producers have done the right thing with casting

7 Beckala { 01.18.13 at 11:27 am }

Nicki Minaj just annoyed the living crap out of me. This was further exacerbated by the fact that she is responsible for those obnoxious British kids who cover her songs and keep on appearing on Ellen – they are so annoying!

The feud thing – really annoying. Feels really contrived too. Keith Urban needed more screen time – he has actual feedback to give rather than snide remarks…

8 Reality Raver { 01.18.13 at 11:56 am }

Beckala – Agree Keith does need more screen time. When Mariah wasn’t being a dickhead about Nicki she wasn’t bad either. I liked the way she was prepared to have a different opinion about the pack and you can tell she knows voices and music.

9 Anonymous { 01.18.13 at 12:18 pm }

It was weird watching Idol. Is it coming back in Australia at some point or was it cancelled? Btw Ryan Seacrest is not ageing well. Definately need a lot more of Keith and much less of Nicky.

10 Reality Raver { 01.18.13 at 12:30 pm }

Anon – I doubt an Australian version of the show will make it back now that The Voice and The X factor are entrenched on our screens. Ryan just looks soo tired. Agree less Nicky

11 A.P { 01.18.13 at 1:25 pm }

I watched for about ten minutes but couldn’t stand the Nicky thing, Keith is good though and deserves more time.
Those British little girls on “Ellen” were cute THE FIRST TIME, but as usual they keep having them on and milking it for all its worth, just because they liked Nicky they end up on Utube and being stars on Ellen who showers them with gifts.

12 gidgetvonlarue { 01.18.13 at 2:22 pm }

Dragging onto the 2nd hour I was not even enjoying tweeting to it. I’ve been a pretty faithful viewer of Idol since Kelly Clarkson won and I have to admit I think it’s one of those shows I’m not going to stick with this year – even to tweet to. It just lacked fun and joy and I actually got quite bored with it.

13 Joseph Skyrim { 01.18.13 at 3:01 pm }

Not really watching but just wanted to say everything of NM that I have seen screams “fake”.

14 Stacey { 01.18.13 at 4:12 pm }

The comment from anonymous above was me, im not sure why it didn’t come up with my name. After watching almost nothing besides Community lately I can’t click with Ryan hosting Idol anymore, it MUST be Joel McHale.

Yeh I forgot about the Voice as I don’t watch it. I’ll stay a mile away as long as Delta and Seal still have anything to do with it. Even Joel Madden is becoming a sellout.

AP- I completely agree about those two little girls. The blonde one is ok, its that ugly obnoxious little brunette who non-stop talks. Annoying as hell!

15 bella vita { 01.18.13 at 8:03 pm }

I was lucky enough to be in the audience last year. of an episode…..a memory I’ll never forget. Whether the ratings are down or not, AI is a huge deal in the US…it is all anyone does talk about when it is on, and no doubt as long as it keeps making the network money (which it does), it will continue to air even if ratings continue to decline.

Personally I think Nicki and Mariah both being on the panel is a mistake. Should have stuck with 3. It didn’t work with Kara…it won’t work this time.
Funnily enough Nicki is coming across as the much smarter and caring (when it’s needed) judge…and Mariah just sits there stunned half the time.

Mariah needs to clearly remember where she started…not everyone was as lucky (or unlucky when you look at him) to screw Tommy Motola to get her career started.

16 smauge { 01.18.13 at 8:41 pm }

COULD get irritating? I think that ship has sailed.

17 Daisy { 01.19.13 at 12:02 am }

1. I’m with you Smauge on the sailing ship. It’s hard to care.
2. Stacey I’m with you and the precocious girls on Ellen. Someone or someones are hell-bent on ruining those girls. Child abuse with candy.
What’s great about giving spoiled princesses more stuff?
3. Stacey with you again on Seal and Delta…both posers.
4. As for NM: I have a serious aversion to this new trend amongst young American women to quack like ducks (waak waak waak! through their nose) Mylie Cyrus does it, The Two Broke Girls do it. If you look at old US movies they didn’t speak like that. I think that they think it sounds cute, but it just grates on my ears. NM isn’t the worst offender but she does it. I just can’t listen to that nasal waaaaa voice.
I might peek into this show later when the best contestants are left.