American Idol – Entertaining But The Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj “Feud” Could Get Irritating
If they are counting on the Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj feud to keep the viewers hooked on American Idol it is a big risk.
The duelling divas in the first episode of Idol , to be shown on TEN tonight, at times were just plain irritating and Keith Urban was struggling to get air time and get his more sensible comments across. And poor Randy Jackson got none.
Interesting the judging panel is allegedly costing $36 million and considering Keith is only getting $4 million those girls are pulling in the big bucks so the producers must think they are going to pul in the viewers.
The American Idol auditions kick off in New York and also with some clever editing. They had the shots of the large crowds auditioning, which are from the initial ones where the judges are not there. Then they have shots of the judges arriving, and hopping out of their cars. Funny how there are no shots of them with the crowds – perhaps because they are not there.
What is good about Idol:
- Well it is Idol, and it is big;
- The talent was there in fits and starts during the first episode;
- Keith when he did manage to get screen time showed why Australia fell in love with him on The Voice but he was tough;
- Mariah Carey when she was speaking about music did show she show she knew what she was talking about; and
- The back stories were there on some of the contestants, and surprisingly one with the full package did not make it through.
What was not so great:
- The Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey feud was irritating and at times you wondered if they had been told to play it up but it took up too much screen time;
- They need to dump the joke auditions, enough of the paying out of geeky asians;
- There were some diamonds in the rough at the New York auditions but hopefully more potential stars will be shown.
Is it worth watching? Well it is Idol and it will be interesting to see Keith Urban shine in the huge arena that is this show.
American Idol on Network TEN tonight at 7.30pm.