My Kitchen Rules – Pete Evans Thinks Everyone Should Eat Organic Food

Not the best of pre-show publicity for both of the main judges of My Kitchen Rules. Firstly Manu Feildel gets caught driving without a supervisory driver on his L’s, and now Pete Evans sways into dangerous territory by telling everyone they can afford to eat organic food if they budget properly.

In the Sunday Telegraph today he states that only spending $5.oo more on organic chicken they will save it later on in doctor’s bills.

The says in the article:

“I understand people are on budgets. It’s an easy thing to say (organic food) is too expensive, but if you look at what you spend your money on, whether it be doctor’s bills, I think, yes, there are certain aspects that are more expensive.” Evans says.

“But you have to look at it from a holistic point of view – that chicken costs an extra five dollars, but how does it affect my budget.”

Evans says he doesn’t want to sound “condescending”.

“The more good stuff you put into your body the less room for the bad stuff,” he explains. “If you make cuts elsewhere that is.”

What it appears he is implying that healthy food should be a priority in the food budget, however he appears not to realise for that for some people living from week to week, pay packet to pay packet this is just not possible. Also buying and eating organic may mean there is no room for extras like coffee out, a movie ticket or swimming lessons.
Also studies have shown that eating organic does not provide extra health benefits.
Agree people should eat fresh and unprocessed but the cost of organics may not bring in the benefits he thinks it does.
I must say it is going to be interesting him eat some of the junkier food this season on My Kitchen Rules.
My Kitchen Rules starts on Monday 28 January on 7.30pm on Channel SEVEN.

1 A.P { 01.27.13 at 9:19 am }

I think we all try our best to eat healthily but until I have the equivalent of his wage packet each week I will carry on the way I am.

2 Georgie { 01.27.13 at 10:16 am }

Exactly A.P – we do our best within the confines of our circumstances. Being aware of good health is 99% of it – the organic side is the icing not the cake or should I say the balsamic dressing not the salad.

3 Daisy { 01.27.13 at 12:05 pm }

Take care you QLDers and other E staters. You look like you are copping a lashing.

4 Daisy { 01.27.13 at 12:19 pm }

How do you really know some of those “organic” foods really are. It’s taken us a long time to be informed that “uncaged” hens aren’t happily roaming the the farmyard but are probably just as overcrowded in their own swill.
If you look at what Aust allows into its food(numbers, colours, MSG) compared to some other countries, I seriously doubt that the Aus govt is going to be effectively chasing up to make sure the food is genuinely organic anyway, so you could end up paying a fortune and eating the same as everyone else. We just do the best we can, and then have a treat or two. I had some raw cauliflower, a mango and strawberry lassie and two mango and macadamia Weiss bars; that was dinner last night.

5 Lea { 01.27.13 at 12:27 pm }

I’m going to enjoy watching him eat too, RR.

He reminds me of eating with people with eating disorders .. where every meal is fraught and tense, and no-one enjoys themselves.

We will see…

6 Reality Raver { 01.27.13 at 12:36 pm }

Lea – Agree re: Eating disorders.

Daisy – well that seems likes a well balanced meal.

AP and Georgie- agree regarding the budget issue. Interesting being here in the US the food is really cheap but I think that might align with the low wages that are paid. But also processed food is very cheap.

7 Reality Raver { 01.27.13 at 12:51 pm }

Also non-organic farming practices also brought fresh food into reach of the lower socio-economic classes.

8 TheBeancounter { 01.27.13 at 1:14 pm }

Completely out of touch….

9 brain dead dave { 01.27.13 at 1:16 pm }

You don’t “understand” that people are on budgets, Pete and you do sound condescending.

He might not eat shit but he sure knows how to talk it.

With any luck pompous prawns like this will be hit by a biodiesel fuelled bus while they’re busy blowing sunshine.

May a horde of organic food loving shoplifters descend on your lame shop.

10 Reality Raver { 01.27.13 at 1:18 pm }

BDD – LOL

11 brain dead dave { 01.27.13 at 1:28 pm }

Au$tralians shouldn’t have to cop this sanctimonious stuff. Jenny Macklin, Gina Rinehart and now Pete Evans. Totally out of touch with reality.

On the crazy train,albeit first class.

12 Emma { 01.27.13 at 2:17 pm }

It just makes people feel bad about their choices. Fresh peas (as an example) do have more benefits than frozen peas, and maybe organic fresh peas have even more, but frozen peas are still a healthy option and provide plenty of nutrients ect.

13 Healthylife { 01.27.13 at 2:20 pm }

Organic food is being introduced to cafes and restaurants that we eat at. I get everyone can’t afford it but all they need to start doing is thinking about it. Start with one thing then if the budget is there then go a bit more organic. Organic meat and produce is getting cheaper with demand. I’m sure Pete didn’t wake up one day and become healthy. It’s a progressive change that eventually makes a difference.

14 Daisy { 01.27.13 at 2:33 pm }

There are lots of ways to be healthy. Until someone proves that this food is truly organic, truly better for you and that proper regulations are in place to ensure honest marketing, I’ll save my money. I’m all for being healthy. I am a healthy sceptic. Reading the Chemial Maze made me think that the Aus authorities don’t give a chicken manure about what we eat, so you’ll never know what people are labelling as organic.
RR tonight I’ll balance my Weiss bars with chillie mussels, prawn cocktails, seafood paella and fresh caught fish. Seafood is the theme.

15 Daisy { 01.27.13 at 4:12 pm }

Just gave my rating to Cleo’s top 10 bods. I gave my top points to Jen H and Jessinta. Now I’ll have what she’s having …if I had the will power.
BDD some of your fav’s a no show I think.

16 Isabel { 01.27.13 at 6:44 pm }

He says he looks thin at the start off the series in readiness for putting on weight – so he’s been ‘dieting’. I always think organic fruit and veg look like rubbish in our local organic shop!

17 Littlepetal { 01.27.13 at 7:10 pm }

I try to buy organic when I can afford. Food has become medicinal for me because of my health problem. Some things are o.k. if not organic, like fruits and vegetables with skin that you remove before eating. When they are too expensive I just buy non organic ones from the market.

I read Pete did a detox before the start of the filming to prepare himself for eating all those food on MKR.

18 Melissa { 01.27.13 at 8:00 pm }

I do agree he has painted himself to be a complete wanker talking like this but yours and your family’s health is the most important thing in the world above anything so I believe it’s important no matter what our budget we should try to eat as healthy as we can and look after ourselves.

19 John Shannon { 04.03.13 at 2:25 am }

He is correct!
I’m living on a shoestring budget, and I only buy and eat organic and additive free food (with the occasional takeaways non-organic).

Yes its more expensive, however you stay away from expensive vegetables, since the prices and supply vary dramatically.

The additives in food will no doubt kill you in the long run.

Non organic vegetables are sprayed every few hours with a fluid (not just water), that has additives including paraffin based wax. Makes the vegetables and fruit for that matter – look fresh, colourful and shinny (including BTW the fruit and vegetables that you see in the MKR kitchen).

What I don’t understand, if you eat organic (additive free) food, and you have a say in the running of a foodies show like MKR, why wouldn’t you insist on only organic additive free food.

It will just take one celeb to stand up for the cause to change public opinion.

In Europe organic food is almost “the standard”, and the same price as non-organic food.

Its not bad in Australia, and almost unavailable in New Zealand, with most supplies coming from Europe, rather than Australia.

So much for CER.

20 brain dead dave { 04.03.13 at 6:04 am }

Organic food may well be healthier but Pete is still living in a big city ,breathing in exhaust fumes, chemicals and being exposed to levels of stress and noise harmful to longevity.Electricity grids, mobile phone towers…

The idea that it will take just one celebrity to stand up for the cause and change public opinion is naive. Paul McCartney and Bob Marley have not turned the world vegetarian or into consumers of non processed foods, have they? Prince Charles and his organic farms?

The change would have to begin with educators in kindergartens and schools everywhere..