Masterchef: The Professionals – Zumbo Stretches Their Coping Mechanisms

Not only was it Zumbo, but it was also a team challenge. Two things guaranteed to bring on stress and it did. There was teams fraying at the edges, ingredients looking like pus dripping from cakes, and people snarking at each other.

The challenge was to make a 12 layer Zumbo cake, which included hazelnut dacquoise, toffee, raspberry gel, coffee brulee  and chuck in some salted caramel as well. All in all there were eleven layers. However there was no room for error as the teams were given the right amount of ingredients to complete it – no more, no less.

Michael was captain for the green team, Tracey for the red, and Luke for the brown.

The brown team got lucky as they had Nathan who had a lot of experience in tempering chocolate. Nathan needed to shine as so far he has been struggling in the competition.

Tracey as captain was not going to win a popularity contest with her team mates  as she either lied or was incompetent as she used all the milk chocolate. She said she had measured it but Matt Preston and Zumbo put her on the spot and weighed her mixture and it was almost double what it should have been. Fear and loathing then permeated the team and she looked suitably embarrassed.  Rhys then tried to make his own milk chocolate mixing white and dark. Her woes continued when she split her caramel anglais. Sarah who is super intense was not happy with her, even after Tracey had rectified her mistake.

Luke was having his own issues as captain. His spatula split whilst he was making the caramel, he just plucked it out but Matt and Marco asked whether it had melted into it. He said if there is plastic in it is on his head. What was he meant to do, he probably did not have any more ingredients to make more. Memo to the judges you can’t give chefs the exact ingredients and then expect them to be able to remake a component.

Tracey’s annus horriblus just kept on continuing and she was under seige from her own team.  Cameron decided to put the boot in wondering whether she was working with them or against them. However the smirk was soon wiped from his face when his team had to deal with his badly tempered chocolate.  Sarah told  Cameron to put it in the fridge which he was reluctant to do, however when he saw Nathan was happy to put it in. Clearly he does not like being told what to do by a female.

However for the red team it was going to get worst when they did not take the acetate paper from one piece chocolate before placing it on the cake. Cameron was throwing the blame at Tracey, no one was taking responsibility for the stuff up but the other team members clearly thought the captain was the culprit.

The green team had caramel oozing out of their cake which was not a good look, particularly since it looked like pus. . Also Zumbo thought it was bland in flavour.

The brown team’s looked the best but the calmancy (sic)  layer was a bit thin, however the judges knew there were issues with this so decided to pick on the lack of lime flavour. If it had been a blind tasting I wonder if they would have realised. Also there was no spatula in it either.

The red team were giving the thumbs up for getting all the flavours right, however Tracey’s section was criticised for putting in too much chocolate made that layer too thick.

It was no surprise that the brown team won in fact there was no way either of the other two teams were even close.

Tomorrow night the two losing team will have the same captains and they will be cooking for diners in the Masterchef restaurant. Expect fireworks and I’m not talking the celebratory Australia Day ones.

Masterchef: The Professionals on Sunday to Tuesday on TEN at 7.30pm.

1 gidgetvonlarue { 01.28.13 at 11:32 pm }

I think they purposely leave certain information off the recipe – and also only give them the ‘right’ amount of ingredients to cause problems and fire works. I guess they think it’s good tv so the producers stuff up the contestants. Probably why none of the teams ‘nailed it’.

2 Anna { 01.28.13 at 11:39 pm }

Couldn’t understand either why they didn’t have enough ingredients to start over just in case they’ve stuffed up on the first go…

Why are 10 people go to elimination challenge and not 5? Theatrics are boring… They should show more of Marco

3 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 12:07 am }

Poor Zumbo. He needed a chain saw ,axe or angle grinder to cut that “cake”.

4 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 1:31 am }

Yes, in reality, you would usually have some spare ingredients to try again. I enjoyed tonight’s challenge though.
Luke looks like the chef in Ratatouille, the one under the hat.
I liked the way some of them kept their cool under pressure tonight. It would be frustrating having to work as a team. I think Pony Tail is so cute the way he hid his disgust when the chocolate was all used up.
Favourites : Cassie, guy with straight hair dangling in food (Michael?), angry girl in green team, Pony tail and Ratatouille. Not sure which cake I’d eat. A good MCP. Can’t believe red captain didn’t sob. She was wearing daggers.
Sorry you had transmission problems Gabby. Given the weather you guys have been having, I’m surprised you’ve managed the last few nights.

5 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 8:09 am }

I would prefer a challenge where the contestants can do a decent job. Give them more time. These professional chefs are not better than the contestants in Master chef.

6 A.P { 01.29.13 at 9:11 am }

The challenge was fun to watch but must have been a nightmare for the contestants with all those egos involved.
Zumbo would have had years of training to put up something like that creation so its ridiculous to expect anyone to do it, let alone only providing them with just the right amount of ingredients, nothing more.
Least we had a break from the sob stories last night.
Gabby, hope you have 7 back, we are into the second day of no 9/WIN, might ring them later to see whats going on.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 01.29.13 at 10:28 am }

Growing to like Luke even more, good call not to restart and hey – he actually wears a chef hat thingy! I agree there was no surprise as to who would win though.

Will be interesting tonight since they are still all in the same teams. Cameron’s gonna have his knives shooting out of his eyes again.

Also is it just me or does Marco accompany each syllable with a hand movement, like he is conducting? 😛

8 sue { 01.29.13 at 11:21 am }

I just finished watching the Cake saga episode….. the amount of ingrediants used for this cake, would feed a small country for a week, sorry what a waste of time and ingrediants, we all new at the start that none of these chefs would be able to create this cake… I would much rather see them cook real meals , the red team was a disaster waiting to happen, Tracey I think would suit a job maybe at Mcdondalds and Cam at hungry Jacks,,,i think MKR last night left MC for dead at least we saw cooking suited to the ability of the chefs

9 donae { 01.29.13 at 11:22 am }

no prizes for Rhett winning on Sunday night, had to make that cake
and now up for elimination just to add more ‘miff” to the mixture
not that I feel sorry for him

10 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 11:38 am }

What about Sarah. She can’t stand Tracey and there will be fireworks tonight when they are still in the same team with the same Captain.

11 Dr T { 01.29.13 at 11:58 am }

Hey Sue @8… I’m actually the other way around. I enjoyed MC alot more than MKR. I think the primary reason is that the MCP contestants have alot more right to get their knickers in a knot with each other, where as the MKR contestants just bitch and moan about each others cooking.

I actually think MCP is going to cause trouble for MC-amata, partly because has come first, and secondly because the standards are higher given these people have training.

Luke needs an eye-patch and a parrot… he reminds me of a pirate. It did like the green team even though they had a disaster.

12 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 12:02 pm }

No that’s what I thought ast first, but now he’s the tiny chef in Ratatouille. He looks at the camera like a rat caught in the pantry. But in a good way.

13 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 12:06 pm }

Dr T – MKR last night was 1.3 million and MCP 862,000. I actually think you can watch both show as they are so different from each other.

The cake challenge was to throw the chefs out of their comfort zone, as the majority hate doing desserts

14 Anna { 01.29.13 at 12:09 pm }

Last night Tracy did mention that bring a chef doesn’t mean you’ll be good at baking & pastry chef is a different ball game … Zumbo Challenges are idiotic! I wouldn’t want my wedding cake to have 11 different components….

Wonder how well his packages cakes are doing at Woolies

15 Dr T { 01.29.13 at 12:16 pm }

RR – yeah, I just saw the link to the ratings, thanks. I watched MCP and copied MKR – more adds on MKR so more fast forwarding!

16 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 12:24 pm }

I’m watching the cake challenge encore now. Hilarious. Lots of scapegoating and throwing your team mates under the bus,especially from the dog eat dog Red team.

Far too many components for these buffoons of baking. Layers of plastic in the mix, untempered chocolate and things definitely not in the brochure.

The pirate captain was the only one to take responsibility for the screw ups like the broken spatula. He didn’t panic.

Marco does “conduct ” with his hands. It’s even more disturbing when he’s holding a bloody big knife.

I think Rhett’s overrated and full of himself.Won’t surprise me if he’s culled tonight.

Yes, Dr T-the last half hour especially of MKR was jammed with far too many ads. A pox on Ch7 for that.

17 Dunbi { 01.29.13 at 1:17 pm }

Thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as the teams go – too many cooks …..

18 kewpielovesyou { 01.29.13 at 1:17 pm }

MPW looked bored. the contestants were out of their depth… which seems to be the intent of this episode: so show case how crappy non pattisiers are at pastry. it was yet another wasted episode… one that did nothing for entertainment except highlight how inept some of the ‘professionals’ were…from not being able to weigh things properly, to simple basics like not putting broken spatula bits into your caramel…and yet again, to me it felt like an episode to showcase zumbo’s cake / push his brand. *yawn*.

19 Marepoppin { 01.29.13 at 1:25 pm }

I actually wonder how the cake would have tasted (the original one). All those flavours… Surely it would be too much going on??? Coffee and raspberry and lime and salted caramel and milk chocolate and white chocolate… Actually didn’t appeal to me at all

20 sue { 01.29.13 at 1:42 pm }

Hey Dr T… good comment… I enjoy watching all on both shows cook good food…. the whole cake thing was such a waste.

21 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 1:46 pm }

BDD@16 Dog eat dog. Perhaps that could be the next hidden blade challenge.
The red team were ‘Red Faces’. Who did it! Come on, who did it!
My favs in red and green were the one’s whose resentment was a slow simmer. Love that girl in green .”I’m an idiot for standing next to these idiots. Steady boil …Rhett. Pressure cooker exploding..Cameron.
PS Did anyone noticed how choreographed they were when they split itno teams. Even though they were in zig-zag formation there was no confusion when stepping left or right.
No need for the sob stories when the fireworks start.

22 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 1:51 pm }

Marepoppin – I tend to agree I think Zumbo must be told to make a cake with lots of elements rather then just being about the flavour.

23 Anna { 01.29.13 at 2:14 pm }

Would hate to face crisis with Cameron around… He’d sacrifice nearest & dearest in order to save his own skin.

I’m guiding Rhett will win if a male wins this year… For now Cassie is favorite, not surprised that her team was saved…

24 Losing reality { 01.29.13 at 9:11 pm }

I wonder if the personality for pastry making is the same as for toy steam engine building? Or should I repeat, repeat, repeat any other similarities?

25 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 9:13 pm }

Can’t the Forresters afford real models? Stephanie, Hope and now Caroline? Ridiculous?????