My Kitchen Rules – The Spice Girls Will Not Be Palatable To Everyone

My Kitchen Rules has kicked off its fourth season with a mix of contestants that some viewers are just going to love to hate. First there are Jessie and Biswa from NSW aka The Real Spice Girls, who appear to be on the show to just get on TV, as they don’t appear to eat anything.

Then there is Jake and Elle, with Jake thinking if you do ballet then you must be cultured, and this Gen Y appears to have a big fall coming up after his comment that he “knows everything about food”.

However at least the above two teams are giving good reality TV with Lisa from South Australia sneering at their behaviour, for someone with a younger Italian lover she appears to be very up tight.

Also Josh from Western Australia needs to work on his beard if he wants to be a hipster not just have some three day growth. The word hipster appears to be bandied about as was yuppie was used to describe anyone with a professional job in the 80′s.

Tonight it was the Victoria team of husband and wife team of Kerrie and Craig.They were childhood sweethearts in the 70′s. However Kerrie reminded me of Kim Kardashian’s mother Kris Jenner and was just as pushy. Clearly Craig was on the show to keep her happy.

What was interesting was when the guest arrived at the houses they all introduced themselves, including the judges like they had never met before, however at the beginning of the episode they were all in the MKR kitchen being welcomed and being told what the new rules were for the show!

There will be a change the lowest scoring groups from the home restaurants were going to be instantly eliminated. I am presuming this will be the lowest one in each group, not the two lowest ones over all. Previously the bottom ones have had an opportunity to cook off in the MKR kitchen for survival.

However last year there was the twist of a third round of home restaurants with the bottom six having to go around Australia again before elimination occurred. It is unclear whether this will occur again.

Other changes this year were blind tastings which will be interesting to see what impact this has on the show, as well as the new judge Colin Fassnidge.

Kerrie and Craig’s day started off with breakfast with the family, like that was the ideal start before cooking on national TV, but suspect it was not their idea. However miraculously the house was clean after they returned from their shopping.

They were doing a 70′s theme dinner party, however the menu itself was not THAT ’70′s. It was Vegetable Tarte Tartin, main was Wallaby with Basil Risotto and Chocolate Jaffa Mousse Cake. OK maybe the dessert was period appropriate.

What does occur is the teams submit three menus and producers tell them what to cook, this makes it harder for the teams to work out a perfect menu that they can easily and without drama do in the time frame. Well this is what occurred last year.

However they did serve punch hopefully iconic drink Cinzano was splashed through it.

Kerrie was in control in the kitchen but not so much with the knife as she had a few cuts on her hands from the prep. However their prep went pretty smoothly and even though she was bossy she managed to not crack it at Craig for losing the gelatine an essential ingredient for the dessert. In the end she found it in a bag in the bin which he had sworn it was not in there…

OK he was a bit pussy whipped in the kitchen but she was definitely the cook in this team.

However Kerrie won’t be number one villain of this series, not with Jessie and Biswa sitting around the table. They appear to be flibberty gibbets. Chatting non-stop, gushing over Manu “he sounds the same as he does on TV”, and not eating mainstream vegetables. How can be from sub-continent heritage and not eat tomatoes and capsicum?

However Jake is going to give them a run for their money. What is more annoying then a 20 year-old who thinks they know everything. His pontificating on the flavours of the main would have made Leo Scofield proud but for most others it was eye rolling.

Matt and Mike father and son team from Tassie appear nice thought suspect Mike thinks is a bit funnier than he actually he is, but at least he was positive about everything. Maybe he is just pleased to be getting a break from Abablone fishing.

Kerrie and Craig had a pretty smooth night except for lost gelatine and different sized pieces of wallaby.

The vegetable tart was liked by all except the NSW girls as they don’t like vegetable, but they were were more then happy to try wallaby. It will be interesting to see what they are going to cook. In fact will they be able to cook as it looks like they might be worried about breaking a nail or something. The WA girl was shocked there was a carrot in it. Not sure what that was about.

The judges said the tart was fantastic, as they did the Wallaby and Basil Risotto. In fact have to confess I thought the main was going to be a disaster but it was liked by most, except for Jake who thought the basil and beetroot flavour over powered the wallaby. Pete Evans thought his wallaby was over cooked, however he must have been happy the meat he was eating was organic.

There must have been some time between entree and main as they were preping other ingredients and dishes in the kitchen before they even started making the risotto and that takes 20 minutes once the rice hits the pan! There should be a time frame with a point penalty for ever 10 minutes they go over it.

By this stage Kerrie was feeling very confident about the mousse cake but it was not warmly received by the teams. Too rich and WA even thought the chocolate tasted bitter.

In the end most of the teams gave them a seven with the spice girls only giving them a five as they had to judge it on main only. As Jessie does not like a chocolate and orange combination either.*

All in all they received a respectable 72 points which should see them get through the next round.

For the debate about whether two cooking shows going head to head would see an audience cut. Both shows are different and are entertaining in their unique ways. What do you think?

*Having technical issues with the show freezing towards the end so did not get all the judges scores nor Tasmanian team. Will update if I do get them.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Monday to Wednesday at 7.30pm.

1 Golo i Wesolo { 01.29.13 at 4:20 am }

Were the vegetables in the vegetable tart cultured?

2 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 5:44 am }

Craig deserves a lot of credit for not slicing and dicing Kerrie years ago. Kerrie should have listened to him about overdosing the guests on chocolate, at least. You’re not feeding Jowl$y, you fool.

I’d never eat wallaby. If these two pretentious squabblers wanted a dish that said something about themselves , they should have served drongo or galah.

Didn’t like their attitude of serve the best cooked wallaby to Manu and Pete and crawl up their ar$es and f*** the guests.

Only caught the last half hour. Nearly all of that was ads. Fail Ch7.

The rat-faced dickhead Jake won’t last long. His face will be all over Australia soon – on dart boards.

3 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 5:51 am }

You might be cultured if you do ballet. On the other hand , you might just be nothing but a pretentious, rat faced , big mouthed wanker.

Jake clearly falls into the latter category.

4 Isabel { 01.29.13 at 6:46 am }

I think it was 72, RR.

I flicked between the two shows – chaos in the Professionals’ kitchen – obviously no experts in cake making there, so back to MKR.

I think I’m going to be driven mad with the time between courses. Who starts a main course after the first course has been eaten, and then worries about the gelatine for the mousse!! No complaints from anyone which surprised me.

No Dr Evil, but there is a Dancing Git – I thought of something stronger but it’s inappropriate for a cooking show. What an arrogant wanker. I’m sure someone will come up with something.

I saw a tweet along the bottom of the screen about Pete Evans getting more and more handsome. Well, I thought he looked anorexic and not at all well – too many activated almonds I’d say.

5 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 7:51 am }

Golo – LOL.

BDD – Jake is soo being set up as villain of the series.

Isabel – Thanks, I am hoping Dr Evil is one of the surprise special guests, in fact I am going to be disappointed if he is not!

6 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 7:58 am }

Waiting for the downfall for Jake and the Spice girls. Jen was nothing compared to these 3.

7 Georgie { 01.29.13 at 8:04 am }

The ‘space girls’ haven’t got a brain between them – vacant.

Jake and Elle – the new Thomas and Carla.

Tassie pair remind me of Alvin’s mate Simon.

Who in their right mind would EVER say their piece of cake was too big!!!!

8 Jesse { 01.29.13 at 8:06 am }

Long-time reader, first time commenting. Told myself i’d get into the fun of the discussions this year instead of just reading. :)

With the 2 NSW girls when they said they couldn’t finish their meals I was going “I KNOW!” behind the screen. I love food, I’m known at work as that “Asian girl who gets over-excited over food especially desserts”, but I can never finish my meals here in Australia. The portions are too big! Even after 7 years here I still can’t do it!
Having said that, I didn’t think the mains were particularly big, and considering they didn’t really eat their entree there really was no excuse for it.

Looking forward to the Tassie team’s turn tonight, though they seem to be having negative reactions from Team Cultured and Team Picky…

9 A.P { 01.29.13 at 9:01 am }

The Spice Girls were just plain rude if you ask me. I would have eaten the entree, it looked delicious as did the cake to me, my mouth was watering at the sight of it. (Not sure about eating Skippy though)
The Vic team was well organised in the kitchen but don’t know why a family breakfast had to be on the morning of their big day when they had so much else to do, were they trying to prove what a big happy family they are just like in Packed to the Rafters?
How did Pete Evans cope eating that food since he’s so finicky? He looks like he needs a good feed.
The Tassie boys look nice, I’m looking forward to seeing them tonight.

10 Jason { 01.29.13 at 9:10 am }

As for the teams introducing themselves when they arrived, I thought the groups in MKR Head Quarters was always filmed AFTER the dinner dates.

11 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 9:19 am }

So glad this is back on TV, welcome Jesse! I agree with you about the portions, I thought they were too big also. All of them were, in fact. But that cake looked goooood.

AP- Who was your favourite team from the first episode?

I thought ALL of the teams were rather bitchy this year. The older woman with the younger Italian man was a real piece. Jake was doing it out loud at the table, but my gosh this woman was so venomous and condescending I couldn’t believe it! I was expecting someone much more mature. I loved her partner though that little exchange with Manu about how there was finally another person on the table with an accent. He just sat there grinning at Manu because I’m quite sure he didn’t understand what he was saying haha. And he was like “I like the, how you say, mirrorbubble!”

I reckon Jessie and Biswa will blow it out of the water the night that they cook. Its being very much set up to look like they will fail, but I have a feeling they wont. They are unbelieveably over the top though.
At least they were willing to try Wallaby, it does not taste the same as Kangaroo. Kangaroo is much more ‘gamey’ and only tastes good when you cook it a certain way otherwise it can be extremely tough.

All in all I loved the first episode and thanks for the quick recap RR!

12 sue { 01.29.13 at 9:30 am }

Morning…. I had trouble watching the brother / sister Jake and ella
at first I thought they were a couple the looks that they shared seemed deeper than sibling looks… sorry he gives me the creeps is t like he is trying to impress her and she has him where she wants him…. weird cant wait to see them in the kitchen… welcome jessie…. enjoyed first night looking forward to the rest

13 annajjj { 01.29.13 at 9:32 am }

I agree Stacey. It does look like the Spice girls are being set up to fail so they probably will do well. Jake sets himself up – no help needed there. Knows all about food but thinks the dessert cream could have used some seasoning.
RR don’t ALL 20 year olds think they know everything?

14 Dunbi { 01.29.13 at 9:48 am }

Well, I won’t be supporting Queensland out of this group! As for Jake (NSW) what to say about him calling another contestant a moll? I would liked to have seen a shot of the plates after the dessert had been eaten. I would put money on the Tassie guys plates being empty. I still don’t like the judges eating first and passing judgement as I feel it must colour the opinions of the other guests.
I wish the channels didn’t put these programmes on at the same time. It will be interesting to see the viewing figures. I decided to watch MKR and will watch the repeats of MCP on Ten the next day. Would have much preferred three nights each.

15 drb123 { 01.29.13 at 9:57 am }

“sue { 01.29.13 at 9:30 am }
Morning…. I had trouble watching the brother / sister Jake and ella
at first I thought they were a couple the looks that they shared seemed deeper than sibling looks… sorry he gives me the creeps is t like he is trying to impress her and she has him where she wants him”

I got the same feeling, a bit like Angelina Jolie and her brother at the Oscars about a decade ago.

The NSW pair were just plain annoying and pretty much ruined watching the show for me. I’m curious as to what they’ll prepare for their instant restaurant, it may be really something.

Craig was definitely under the thumb, but not as badly as the male half of that Tasmanian couple were a couple of series ago. My mates who have similar relationships seem okay with it as they never have to think for themselves again

16 Morgan { 01.29.13 at 10:05 am }

Looks like this will be another great season of MKR! Did anyone else think Kerrie sounded a lot like Kath from Kath & Kim? LOL. I thought their jaffa cake looked amazing, shocked that it was deemed the worst dish of the night.

Jessie and Biswa I think will surprise everyone and actually turn out to be great cooks, just like last year’s winners Jen and Leigh.

Jake and Elle are obviously the Thomas and Carla of the season, and they already piss me off. Typical spoiled upper-middle class brats. Not expecting much from them, hoping they’ll be first out.

Also looks like they aren’t bringing back that third instant kitchen round from last year. That’s a good thing as I thought it really dragged on.

17 Barney { 01.29.13 at 10:37 am }

Manu gave the entree 7, the main 8, and dessert 5.
Pete gave the entree 8, the main 7, and dessert 4.
All the teams gave them 7 for the night, except the ones who don’t eat anything made of food, who gave them 5.

18 KJ { 01.29.13 at 10:55 am }

Spice Girls and Gen Y are reality TV gold! I suspect the girls will knock it out of the park at their restaurant, but may struggle when having to cook out of their comfort zone, how much food knowledge can you have if you’re such a picky eater? I also thought the main was going to be a bit of a fail, so was surprised it got good reviews, and I LOVED the look of the cake, but it really must have been too over the top. Looking forward to the Tassies cooking, they’re obviously getting the “nice Aussie bloke” edit that the army boys got last year.

19 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 11:07 am }

MKR gave Ma$terchef “Professionals” a caning in the ratings, Just like Georgie predicted. Suck it up, $hine. Less sooking and more cooking,producers.

Not looking forward to seeing Abalone Pops going the blub, however. Just send him home.

20 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 11:36 am }

Wait staff and chef must hate to serve/cook for the Spice girls. They said they love to go out and eat. Imagine questioning every dish and requesting to omit certain ingredients from them.

21 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 11:43 am }

Thanks for the link BDD. I was hoping the lack of comments here didn’t reflect the ratings. Masterchef Professionals is bullshite. Everytime I channelsurf over to Ten someone is crying and a serious score is always playing. At least on MKR people look like they’re having fun.

22 Bolders { 01.29.13 at 12:10 pm }

Which culture pronounces the word extinguisher: Extinkquishah? (A la the ads showing the Kultured Kids setting the kitchen on fire and girl KK yelling for a fire extinguisher).

Methinks Boganvillia – same place I think where it’s considered kultured to call a woman, moll.

Oh it’s on like Donkey Kong.

23 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 12:14 pm }

I think I’m seeing double. The Tassie guys look like two Jermaines from Flight of the Concords.
What a night last night was. The girl butter knife weilding, rampaging girl from Current Affair ( it was her wasn’t it), the smug ballet boy; the good guys and bad guys of MKR and MCP last night was great viewing.
Thinking of you everyone in the floods. Good luck today.

24 Dr T { 01.29.13 at 12:15 pm }

Damn… Georgie @ 6 – you beat me to to the Thomas and Carla reference for Jake (you and everyone else).

Disappointed that MKR beat MCP. I’ve obviously watched too many shows of supposed professionals (like Hell’s Kitchen etc) and not enough amatas.

Pete was glowing orange last night… too many carrots???(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis) Or just bad fake tan…

25 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 12:18 pm }

No prizes for guessing what the Spice girl’s dinner theme will be; Bollywood of course. But if they don’t start eating somewhere a hunger stricken country.

26 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 12:32 pm }

Hi Jesse thanks for reading and now commenting. If you think Aussie portions are big then don’t come to the US an appetizer (entree in Oz) can feed two.

AP – I reckon they filmed the breakfast scene the day before, but I could be wrong.

BDD – Thanks for link

annajjj – sigh yes I know I did. But it is sooo painful to watch.

Bolders – LOL agree.

Daisy – it was a good start.

Little Petal – agree nightmare.

Morgan – good call on Jake and Ella

Barney – thanks – why was the dessert so bad it looked good. Do you think it was a long night of filming and they just wanted to get out of there?

Georgie – Hilarious you calling them the Space Girls so apt

Jason – probably they do. But I thought it was strange – first scene in MKR Kitchen as the introductory one and then the Vic team looking likc they had never met the other teams nor the judges

stacey – yep Lisa from SA is one to watch.

KJ – it will be interesting to see if Tassie can cook.

27 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 12:36 pm }

Dr T – do you think Pete Evans would wear fake tan wouldn’t he deem it to be toxic? I think you will like this link http://www.goodfood.com.au/photogallery/good-food/food-news/kitchen-spy-pete-evans-20130128-2dgce.html?location=Melbourne

28 Dr T { 01.29.13 at 12:54 pm }

He’s gone off the deep end somewhere RR…

Thanks for the link. I liked this caption “Evans has had this German knife for 15 years. He says the best way to choose a knife is to see if it feels right for your hand.”
I was suprised it didn’t continue with something like “The blade should be sharp, so it is easy to plunge into the back of those who you dislike”

The dessert was a flop (according the judges) because
- very rich, so portion was too big
- they’d stuck it in the fridge, so the mousse in the top layer had gone hard instead of being soft/smooth

29 Dr T { 01.29.13 at 12:56 pm }

“Pete Evans’ eponymous pan took him two-and-a-half years to design.”
I didn’t know that so much went into pan design… looks like a bit of metal with two edges and a glass lid with a handle on the top

I have become a fan of the sumo salad chain… Would rather go there than a fast food joint at present. Kudos to Pete for his involvement with that chain

30 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 1:07 pm }

I was a bit concerned about Pete’s haircut. Looks like the number 1 my hubby used to do to the boys when we could only afford the sheep shearer. Or when your kids haircut had to last hte school term so you’d go really short. I’ll give the haircut a 6. I didn’t think he looked really well. I hope he puts on some weight and some colour during the show. Looks like he needs iron so maybe Jemaine and Jemaine might cook him some Tassie beef steaks.
But having said thatPete and Manu are my favourite TV judges and I that includes all of the other reality shows, both here and overseas. It won’t spare them getting a grilling or a rating though. It’$ all part of the fun. So they can laugh or cry all the way to the bank.

31 ted { 01.29.13 at 1:15 pm }

How fair can a competition be when one of the teams scoring declares they don’t eat vegetables? So no matte how good the dish might be, the score will be low. Really hoping none of the teams like curries. As for “ballet boy”, I’m looking forward to the karma train pulling into the station.

32 ted { 01.29.13 at 1:15 pm }

How fair can a competition be when one of the teams scoring declares they don’t eat vegetables? So no matter how good the dish might be, the score will be low. Really hoping none of the teams like curries. As for “ballet boy”, I’m looking forward to the karma train pulling into the station.

33 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 1:26 pm }

Pete and Manu both for Celeb Ap.
But both with new hairdressers. In fact they should put a celeb hairdresser on the show.
They probably don’t even call them that nowadays. Probably got some poncy name …hairdesigner. There must be f few over east and they could extort donations from their wealthy clients by promising to not reveal any secrets, such as dandruff, follicle challenges.

34 Lesley { 01.29.13 at 1:31 pm }

Such great comments from you all I will have to pay much more attention tonight i.e. Lisa. I must admit I did watch the “big boy”
on the other station I do like him still does not know what to do with his hands and if it wasn’t for the rings on the fingers what would he do. C7 do something about the ads or thank goodness for fast forward button.

35 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 1:45 pm }

You’re bang on with the Jermaine comment Daisy, especially with the Dad. He’s the missing family member. I too thought Petes haircut looked like the one my mum used to give my brother when he was little. Shave for a cure… for free.

36 Dunbi { 01.29.13 at 1:51 pm }

I would liked to have seen a shot of the dessert plates after everyone had eaten. I would put money on the Tassie guys plates being empty. I still don’t like Pete and Manu eating and commenting before the others. I think it must colour the other competitors opinions.
What a shame these two programmes are on at the same time. Each are on for three nights and would have much preferred two lots of three. I assume Sunday to Wednesday must be better viewing nights for the channels.

37 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 1:59 pm }

Yes Stacey…Pete’s Mum cut his hair. His Nanna needs to give him a good old fashioned fry up. And the missing Jermaine should come and sit between Grandad and Junior. Am looking forward to the Flight of the Concords in Tassie tonight. And an arabesque and a demi plie from Neureyev. Will they do Swan Lake for their theme. The dying Swan. Look forward to that one to.
Let’s place guess the theme.
I’m going with Bollywood or Bangladesh for Space girls (that’s a keeper Georgie).
Swan Lake for Rodolph and sister.

38 Momo { 01.29.13 at 2:23 pm }

ballet-boy graded the chefs fairly, at the very least. even though he was really annoying :) can’t say the same for the spice girls! if they were to rate a really good main ONLY, shouldn’t it average a 7 ??!!! and for those reasons i thought they were the less honorable (and WAY more annoying) team!

39 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 2:32 pm }

Space girls are there to win and won’t give high scores to anyone. They hardly ate the Mains.

Agree that with all the criticism, Ballet boy has been fair. Just like Mr Evil last season. They were quite fair with their scoring.

40 kazfromtas { 01.29.13 at 2:37 pm }

Dunbi: the contestants actually eat and comment before the judges (and give their final scores I think), they just edit it to look like the judges eat and comment first. I read an article after last years series that told all the ‘behind the scenes secrets’, I just wish I could remember where I read it!
RR: I agree with you, there should be some sort of penalty for going over an allotted time. There seemed to be something weird going on last night, either with editing or with the timing of getting their meals out.
Being a Tassie girl I’m looking forward to seeing the Tassie Dad and son tonight. They have come across as being very genuine in interviews here, I’m just hoping their cooking is as nice as they seem to be.

41 A.P { 01.29.13 at 2:44 pm }

Stacey@10, I like the Tassie boys the best so far but it early days yet.
Did everyone like the male voice over excitedly explaining the scoring and judging etc for us? I’m not sure if it was really necessary at all.
Georgie@6, you are right, chocolate cake can never be too big!
I really hope that when its the turn of The Spice Girls that the other teams don’t like their food as they don’t like curries, that would serve them right, how is it fair to only judge the main?

42 Anna { 01.29.13 at 3:01 pm }

I thought I misheard when ballet boy called Lisa ? Mole…

He cannot possibly be that good since he loves food…

The morons from NSW are only there to spice up the show, they might be hoping they’ll meet someone just like one of the girls did last year

Even if they’ll do well at home, they are bound to tank when they’ll get into commercial kitchen. Chef Collin will be tough on then…

So far only two couple (she’s in sales)., & the couple who cooked yesterday seemed OK . Tassie team are a bit over the top for me

Pre taping tonight’s show…

43 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 3:19 pm }

Here’s hoping the Space girls actually can cook something other than curries. But yes it is quite obvious that sadly their restaurant will be Bollywood themed which I’m personally not a fan of but at least will be something new. Looks like the boys tonight are going fishing themed I am excited to see what they do with the abaloni (sp?).

kazfromtas- I really want to read that article!

I thought people stopped saying the phrase “Game on moll” years ago. Maybe Mr Cultured has been catching up on some old BB’s circa 2005.

44 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 3:23 pm }

Anna the couple where she’s in sales are WA bf and gf. I forget what his job was.
Rudolf Neureyev accused them of being bland or strategic for not slagging off the dishes.
The couple with the Italian bf seemed OK. The OT Tassie Da reminds me of the jovial greek guy from last MKR

45 Dunbi { 01.29.13 at 3:41 pm }

Thanks kazfromtas. I didn’t know that.

46 Anna { 01.29.13 at 4:00 pm }

Daisy, please don’t call twinkle toes Neurieyef as I adore him… the brat isn’t that good, or he’d be dancing his tiny heart out & not cooking on TV. :-)

Tassie team should do well… Then again airheads will not score them well, as they probably don’t eat abalone..

Have to wait till next Monday for the Bollywood Restaurant … Better be more cooking & less idiotic chatter

As first impressions go, didn’t like the woman with the young Italian bf… Don’t know why just yet…

The twits were flirting with Manu, but not Pete, wonder why? Pete is looking super fit this season.. Guess his diet works.. Should try it :-)

47 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 4:01 pm }

Yep Stacey, “Game on, moll” comes from Big Brother. You have to be pretty cultured to be quoting from that show, right?.

48 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 4:02 pm }

Imagine you were cast for this show. The the said, “Now who wants to be the baddies and who wants to play the goodies”? What would you pick?
I have to say I may choose Evil Diva because it might be fun to play and you might get a spin-off show, cook book or product line out of it. We won’t forget Princess Jen in a hurry.
When I was a kid and we were being designated fairy roles for some ballet or other, I said, “Can I be hte witch”. Hadn’t given it any thought and didn’t know if there was going to be a witch, but hey jumped on. Turned out I ended up with the starring role AND I had to double for a fairy that hurt or wing or something. Talk about the BLACK SWAN.
But on the downside I wouldn’t like getting spat on in public or on social media so not sure what I’d choose. Might be easier being bad.

49 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 4:06 pm }

Regarding Deni, I did volunteer to be the witch. I wasn’t nominated.

50 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 5:15 pm }

I got the Indo teaching job.

51 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 5:17 pm }

Yes BDD I thought so. That blonde Anna woman if I remember correctly, with the terrible potty mouth.

52 A.P { 01.29.13 at 5:50 pm }

Daisy @48, Congratulations, I knew you would get it!
Don’t be too busy though to comment on here will you?

53 Georgie { 01.29.13 at 6:15 pm }

Congrats on landing the job Daisy.

Thanks for the link bdd. I hopped between MKR and the cricket, which also caned MCP in the ratings I notice.

Bring on the Bollywood Bimbos – hoping for an inedible curry but would like them to stick around for the annoyance factor.

54 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 6:48 pm }

Congrats aswell Daisy!

55 cookie { 01.29.13 at 6:56 pm }

great reading all your very insightful comments – so on the money!
I don’t mind the cougar with the young Italian Stallion, she doesn’t seem very comfortable at all though and that might be why she seems so snooty, interested to see if she relaxes when cooking.
My husband was gobsmacked when Jake called her a “moll” – said if it was him he’d have thumped the little upstart…. now that would’ve heated things up!!! :)

56 Lisa W { 01.29.13 at 8:32 pm }

Is it just me or does the brother look like a baby Freddie Mercury?

57 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 8:33 pm }

Thanks everyone. It’s only pt. I won’t be too busy.

Cookie, at first I thought that lady seemed stiff but she’s had a few amused reactions that have me intrigued. I look forward to seeing what she’s like. I thought she and her bf looked about the same age.

58 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 8:41 pm }

Lisa, I can see it if you darkened that hair and eyebrows, added red lippy, a black satin corset, black fishnets and stilettos. Oh no that’s Tim Curry. Yet another look alike.

59 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 10:32 pm }

I don’t have a nautical bone in my body …but fellas it’s “Anchors Aweigh”. I can’t believe Pops has spent a life at sea and doesn’t know that. Kitsch overload.

The seafood/ nautical theme tonight should have been called “Wankers Away”

Congrats btw , Daisy.

60 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 10:40 pm }

But I like the Tassie team. Just do their best. Not like the Space girls. They don’t eat this and that. They won’t be welcome in my home.

61 cookie { 01.29.13 at 10:43 pm }

Daisy, Lisa said she was 9 years older – I agree they do look similar age

62 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 11:02 pm }

Congrats Daisy hope you enjoy it.

63 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 11:31 pm }

Yes,littlepetal apart from that theme faux pas at the beginning they cooked very well and were unfairly scored by many of the guests/ingrates present.

Villain boy Jake at least said that the main deserved a 10 .Kerrie , Hipster Girl and those $pace Girls are nasty pieces of work.

64 A.P { 01.29.13 at 11:49 pm }

BDD@57, I never picked on that sign, but yes you are right, it should have been spelt “Anchors Aweigh”
Wasn’t there an old movie by that name with Gene Kelly or Frank Sinatra, it rings a bell.

65 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 12:07 am }

Yes, A.P. Frank $inatra, Gene Kelly , Kathryn Grayson-1945. Well done.

I thought I read it in Moby Dick or something like that.

I wanted those boys to put some foil over some pliers and pull the bones out of the salmon.They wasted time.

66 rolf { 01.30.13 at 12:45 am }

Do all the contestants just happen to have large dining tables big enough to seat the judges and other competitors?

67 Reality Raver { 01.30.13 at 12:52 am }

Hi Rolf – Re dining setting sometimes furniture is provided for them, and sometimes they are not even cooking in their own homes but in family or friends as theirs may not be big enough.

68 sarnias { 01.30.13 at 12:55 am }

hmm, an interesting array, and obviously I mean the contestants as well as the food. The Indian and Bangladesh gals had better have something special up their sleeves because they sure talk and whinge a lot. As for the brother and sister team, holy crap, the boy is nasty. Anyway, I am digging Austen Powers and his mini-me. Wonder if there is a mrs powers on the scene….if not, a trip to god’s country may be in order.

69 Daisy { 01.30.13 at 1:24 am }

Anna@46 OK then Twinkle Toes it is, unless he ends up being the Dying Swan.

I think those space girls are playing the villains and LOVING IT! I’m going with my theory that they volunteered fo the role.
Swan Lake probably put hand up too but he isn’t playing it up as much as the evil space girls.
Another look alike; Hipster girl and Morticia Adams from the old TV series.
Sorry Tassie boys I love you both but don’t swim after that meal. It would be Anchors Aweigh because you’d sink under all the mashed potato. Mash done 2 ways. In the abalone, and two giant “poops” with the slamon. But I was impressed by the young lad’s cooking finesse as he managed difficult (apparently) sauce, custard (wisely declining Dad’s offer to wack in some more corn flour, more starch) and even making candy decorations. 10 points to Tassie for being bonza.

And thanks again everyone for the congrats. I appreciate it. I start Monday. One day at school, and one day from home. Good gig?

70 Georgie { 01.30.13 at 7:14 am }

Lol sarnias – Austin Powers. I knew there was someone he reminded of but I couldn’t pick it. Happy hubby hunting, he’d be a good catch.

Agree Daisy, Andi is a Morticia lookalike. Maybe she was goth in her teens, turned hipster in her twenties.

71 Gabby { 01.30.13 at 9:40 am }

Still haven’t got channel 7 but am able to watch after the fact on yahoo 7. So I am behind everyone. I think Peter and Manu are all spruced up for the new season right down to hair dyes, especially Manu, his is super dark. tassie son must really love Dad to have the same style glasses, bless him. Ballet boy, I think it has all been said, I am so waiting for him t o fall to his knees. One of the first things I thought about all of the contestants, barring the Tassie boys, was how up themselves they are. That Victorian woman, she drove me crazy, imagine living with that voice in your ear day and night. I don’t know how these blokes stand it. I think the Italian guys girlfriend would wear the trousers as well.
I am off to watch the second episode now, can’t wait.
Another thing, channel 7 is hopeless with the ads., drives you crazy.

72 Daisy { 01.30.13 at 11:02 am }

Gabby that why I prerecord everything. Even if I start watching 1/2 hr later. I’m just too impatient to watch ads.

73 Izobel2 { 01.30.13 at 1:08 pm }

Congrats Daisy on getting the job – well done!
Am watching the Tassie team now, nice guys. I love abalone.
As soon as I saw their restaurant name I thought of the Gene Kelly movie..
Am totally enjoying this show, and I must admit I’ve now watched the first 3 eps of MCP and I like that too. It’s taking me AGES to read all the comments but I’m getting there!