My Kitchen Rules – The Spice Girls Will Not Be Palatable To Everyone

My Kitchen Rules has kicked off its fourth season with a mix of contestants that some viewers are just going to love to hate. First there are Jessie and Biswa from NSW aka The Real Spice Girls, who appear to be on the show to just get on TV, as they don’t appear to eat anything.

Then there is Jake and Elle, with Jake thinking if you do ballet then you must be cultured, and this Gen Y appears to have a big fall coming up after his comment that he “knows everything about food”.

However at least the above two teams are giving good reality TV with Lisa from South Australia sneering at their behaviour, for someone with a younger Italian lover she appears to be very up tight.

Also Josh from Western Australia needs to work on his beard if he wants to be a hipster not just have some three day growth. The word hipster appears to be bandied about as was yuppie was used to describe anyone with a professional job in the 80’s.

Tonight it was the Victoria team of husband and wife team of Kerrie and Craig.They were childhood sweethearts in the 70’s. However Kerrie reminded me of Kim Kardashian’s mother Kris Jenner and was just as pushy. Clearly Craig was on the show to keep her happy.

What was interesting was when the guest arrived at the houses they all introduced themselves, including the judges like they had never met before, however at the beginning of the episode they were all in the MKR kitchen being welcomed and being told what the new rules were for the show!

There will be a change the lowest scoring groups from the home restaurants were going to be instantly eliminated. I am presuming this will be the lowest one in each group, not the two lowest ones over all. Previously the bottom ones have had an opportunity to cook off in the MKR kitchen for survival.

However last year there was the twist of a third round of home restaurants with the bottom six having to go around Australia again before elimination occurred. It is unclear whether this will occur again.

Other changes this year were blind tastings which will be interesting to see what impact this has on the show, as well as the new judge Colin Fassnidge.

Kerrie and Craig’s day started off with breakfast with the family, like that was the ideal start before cooking on national TV, but suspect it was not their idea. However miraculously the house was clean after they returned from their shopping.

They were doing a 70’s theme dinner party, however the menu itself was not THAT ’70’s. It was Vegetable Tarte Tartin, main was Wallaby with Basil Risotto and Chocolate Jaffa Mousse Cake. OK maybe the dessert was period appropriate.

What does occur is the teams submit three menus and producers tell them what to cook, this makes it harder for the teams to work out a perfect menu that they can easily and without drama do in the time frame. Well this is what occurred last year.

However they did serve punch hopefully iconic drink Cinzano was splashed through it.

Kerrie was in control in the kitchen but not so much with the knife as she had a few cuts on her hands from the prep. However their prep went pretty smoothly and even though she was bossy she managed to not crack it at Craig for losing the gelatine an essential ingredient for the dessert. In the end she found it in a bag in the bin which he had sworn it was not in there…

OK he was a bit pussy whipped in the kitchen but she was definitely the cook in this team.

However Kerrie won’t be number one villain of this series, not with Jessie and Biswa sitting around the table. They appear to be flibberty gibbets. Chatting non-stop, gushing over Manu “he sounds the same as he does on TV”, and not eating mainstream vegetables. How can be from sub-continent heritage and not eat tomatoes and capsicum?

However Jake is going to give them a run for their money. What is more annoying then a 20 year-old who thinks they know everything. His pontificating on the flavours of the main would have made Leo Scofield proud but for most others it was eye rolling.

Matt and Mike father and son team from Tassie appear nice thought suspect Mike thinks is a bit funnier than he actually he is, but at least he was positive about everything. Maybe he is just pleased to be getting a break from Abablone fishing.

Kerrie and Craig had a pretty smooth night except for lost gelatine and different sized pieces of wallaby.

The vegetable tart was liked by all except the NSW girls as they don’t like vegetable, but they were were more then happy to try wallaby. It will be interesting to see what they are going to cook. In fact will they be able to cook as it looks like they might be worried about breaking a nail or something. The WA girl was shocked there was a carrot in it. Not sure what that was about.

The judges said the tart was fantastic, as they did the Wallaby and Basil Risotto. In fact have to confess I thought the main was going to be a disaster but it was liked by most, except for Jake who thought the basil and beetroot flavour over powered the wallaby. Pete Evans thought his wallaby was over cooked, however he must have been happy the meat he was eating was organic.

There must have been some time between entree and main as they were preping other ingredients and dishes in the kitchen before they even started making the risotto and that takes 20 minutes once the rice hits the pan! There should be a time frame with a point penalty for ever 10 minutes they go over it.

By this stage Kerrie was feeling very confident about the mousse cake but it was not warmly received by the teams. Too rich and WA even thought the chocolate tasted bitter.

In the end most of the teams gave them a seven with the spice girls only giving them a five as they had to judge it on main only. As Jessie does not like a chocolate and orange combination either.*

All in all they received a respectable 72 points which should see them get through the next round.

For the debate about whether two cooking shows going head to head would see an audience cut. Both shows are different and are entertaining in their unique ways. What do you think?

*Having technical issues with the show freezing towards the end so did not get all the judges scores nor Tasmanian team. Will update if I do get them.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Monday to Wednesday at 7.30pm.

1 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 5:17 pm }

Yes BDD I thought so. That blonde Anna woman if I remember correctly, with the terrible potty mouth.

2 A.P { 01.29.13 at 5:50 pm }

Daisy @48, Congratulations, I knew you would get it!
Don’t be too busy though to comment on here will you?

3 Georgie { 01.29.13 at 6:15 pm }

Congrats on landing the job Daisy.

Thanks for the link bdd. I hopped between MKR and the cricket, which also caned MCP in the ratings I notice.

Bring on the Bollywood Bimbos – hoping for an inedible curry but would like them to stick around for the annoyance factor.

4 Stacey { 01.29.13 at 6:48 pm }

Congrats aswell Daisy!

5 cookie { 01.29.13 at 6:56 pm }

great reading all your very insightful comments – so on the money!
I don’t mind the cougar with the young Italian Stallion, she doesn’t seem very comfortable at all though and that might be why she seems so snooty, interested to see if she relaxes when cooking.
My husband was gobsmacked when Jake called her a “moll” – said if it was him he’d have thumped the little upstart…. now that would’ve heated things up!!! :)

6 Lisa W { 01.29.13 at 8:32 pm }

Is it just me or does the brother look like a baby Freddie Mercury?

7 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 8:33 pm }

Thanks everyone. It’s only pt. I won’t be too busy.

Cookie, at first I thought that lady seemed stiff but she’s had a few amused reactions that have me intrigued. I look forward to seeing what she’s like. I thought she and her bf looked about the same age.

8 Daisy { 01.29.13 at 8:41 pm }

Lisa, I can see it if you darkened that hair and eyebrows, added red lippy, a black satin corset, black fishnets and stilettos. Oh no that’s Tim Curry. Yet another look alike.

9 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 10:32 pm }

I don’t have a nautical bone in my body …but fellas it’s “Anchors Aweigh”. I can’t believe Pops has spent a life at sea and doesn’t know that. Kitsch overload.

The seafood/ nautical theme tonight should have been called “Wankers Away”

Congrats btw , Daisy.

10 Littlepetal { 01.29.13 at 10:40 pm }

But I like the Tassie team. Just do their best. Not like the Space girls. They don’t eat this and that. They won’t be welcome in my home.

11 cookie { 01.29.13 at 10:43 pm }

Daisy, Lisa said she was 9 years older – I agree they do look similar age

12 Reality Raver { 01.29.13 at 11:02 pm }

Congrats Daisy hope you enjoy it.

13 brain dead dave { 01.29.13 at 11:31 pm }

Yes,littlepetal apart from that theme faux pas at the beginning they cooked very well and were unfairly scored by many of the guests/ingrates present.

Villain boy Jake at least said that the main deserved a 10 .Kerrie , Hipster Girl and those $pace Girls are nasty pieces of work.

14 A.P { 01.29.13 at 11:49 pm }

BDD@57, I never picked on that sign, but yes you are right, it should have been spelt “Anchors Aweigh”
Wasn’t there an old movie by that name with Gene Kelly or Frank Sinatra, it rings a bell.

15 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 12:07 am }

Yes, A.P. Frank $inatra, Gene Kelly , Kathryn Grayson-1945. Well done.

I thought I read it in Moby Dick or something like that.

I wanted those boys to put some foil over some pliers and pull the bones out of the salmon.They wasted time.

16 rolf { 01.30.13 at 12:45 am }

Do all the contestants just happen to have large dining tables big enough to seat the judges and other competitors?

17 Reality Raver { 01.30.13 at 12:52 am }

Hi Rolf – Re dining setting sometimes furniture is provided for them, and sometimes they are not even cooking in their own homes but in family or friends as theirs may not be big enough.

18 sarnias { 01.30.13 at 12:55 am }

hmm, an interesting array, and obviously I mean the contestants as well as the food. The Indian and Bangladesh gals had better have something special up their sleeves because they sure talk and whinge a lot. As for the brother and sister team, holy crap, the boy is nasty. Anyway, I am digging Austen Powers and his mini-me. Wonder if there is a mrs powers on the scene….if not, a trip to god’s country may be in order.

19 Daisy { 01.30.13 at 1:24 am }

Anna@46 OK then Twinkle Toes it is, unless he ends up being the Dying Swan.

I think those space girls are playing the villains and LOVING IT! I’m going with my theory that they volunteered fo the role.
Swan Lake probably put hand up too but he isn’t playing it up as much as the evil space girls.
Another look alike; Hipster girl and Morticia Adams from the old TV series.
Sorry Tassie boys I love you both but don’t swim after that meal. It would be Anchors Aweigh because you’d sink under all the mashed potato. Mash done 2 ways. In the abalone, and two giant “poops” with the slamon. But I was impressed by the young lad’s cooking finesse as he managed difficult (apparently) sauce, custard (wisely declining Dad’s offer to wack in some more corn flour, more starch) and even making candy decorations. 10 points to Tassie for being bonza.

And thanks again everyone for the congrats. I appreciate it. I start Monday. One day at school, and one day from home. Good gig?

20 Georgie { 01.30.13 at 7:14 am }

Lol sarnias – Austin Powers. I knew there was someone he reminded of but I couldn’t pick it. Happy hubby hunting, he’d be a good catch.

Agree Daisy, Andi is a Morticia lookalike. Maybe she was goth in her teens, turned hipster in her twenties.

21 Gabby { 01.30.13 at 9:40 am }

Still haven’t got channel 7 but am able to watch after the fact on yahoo 7. So I am behind everyone. I think Peter and Manu are all spruced up for the new season right down to hair dyes, especially Manu, his is super dark. tassie son must really love Dad to have the same style glasses, bless him. Ballet boy, I think it has all been said, I am so waiting for him t o fall to his knees. One of the first things I thought about all of the contestants, barring the Tassie boys, was how up themselves they are. That Victorian woman, she drove me crazy, imagine living with that voice in your ear day and night. I don’t know how these blokes stand it. I think the Italian guys girlfriend would wear the trousers as well.
I am off to watch the second episode now, can’t wait.
Another thing, channel 7 is hopeless with the ads., drives you crazy.

22 Daisy { 01.30.13 at 11:02 am }

Gabby that why I prerecord everything. Even if I start watching 1/2 hr later. I’m just too impatient to watch ads.

23 Izobel2 { 01.30.13 at 1:08 pm }

Congrats Daisy on getting the job – well done!
Am watching the Tassie team now, nice guys. I love abalone.
As soon as I saw their restaurant name I thought of the Gene Kelly movie..
Am totally enjoying this show, and I must admit I’ve now watched the first 3 eps of MCP and I like that too. It’s taking me AGES to read all the comments but I’m getting there!