My Kitchen Rules – Tassie Team Kicks Some Seafood Butt

Well there are no question about Matt’s paternity as he is a mini me of his father Mick complete with identical spectacles and it was this likeable pair that were cooking last night in Tasmania.

The theme of their restaurant was Anchors Away – so very seafood heavy which you would expect from an abalone diver. Even though he could source his own abalone he still had to get supplies and hopefully with the two hour round trip to Hobart they were given extra time for shopping.

Their menu was Abalone Pattys, main was Salmon with a smoked eel brandade and a beurre blanc, and dessert was a simple Apple and Berry Crumble with Custard.

Their shopping was fairly event free apart from an argument on whether to buy Golden Delicious or Granny Smith. Motto of the story is listen to your parents kids.

Also the prep times only hiccup was finding the salmon fillets still had bones and scales on them. Is this what Coles considers a fillet? Though they did not appear to do that much in their allotted three hours. Sure they did the entree and prepped the fish but that was about it.

What I did like about this pair was Mick, the father, had total confidence in his son, and even though there was $250,000 on the line let him have the lead on a number of dishes.

Thankfully Matt decided not to hold the abalone shells down with blue tack, this would not have gone down well, and would have just given Jessie and Biswa something else to bitch about. Tonight they bitched that the salsa in the shells looked like the entree not the patty’s, also that they did not like the combination of the eel brandade and salmon. These girls need to realise that their table mates are going to be scoring them and you get the feeling they will be particularly harsh on them.

Also Jessie and Biswa need to realise they are not as funny or as charismatic as they think they are. Hopefully the Italian Stallion will tell them how annoying they are before the end of the series.

The entree split the team with Manu and Jake saying there was no abalone in them, and the spice girls could only taste egg! Whereas Pete Evans and Josh thought it was great. In fact Western Australian pair Josh and Andi look like Gomez and Morticia from The Adams Family and are as enigmatic as their screen personas.
Everyone liked the main of salmon and the Tassie team had cooked every piece perfectly. In my opinion it was screaming for some green on the plate. Again it must have been some time between entree and main as they had to make the beurre blanc, and the mash potato. This dish scored the first ten of the series so it must have been great, however where do the judges go from here if they taste something even better!

Mick was pretty overwhelmed by the positive feed back to his main and wept and did anyone notice when Mick went into the pantry when he was crying there were strategically placed Campbell stock packs on the different shelves?

At this point my feed started to breakdown so I am not sure how the dessert was received by the other teams, but I do know the judges gave it a nine so it must have been good. If anyone can fill me in on how the other teams scored them I would be interested to know.

In the end the Tassie father and son team kick butt and scored a total of 80 points putting them at the top of the table and they will be safe from elimination.

1 Daisy { 01.30.13 at 8:37 pm }

BDD I love Judge Judy. I haven’t seen it in past years because of work. I do a good imitation from time to time.
AP I can only hope the best cooks win. But it would be good if that was also a likeable couple. I’m just happy if the WA people are nice, maybe funny, like the Tassie guys are.
As I said previously, do think the Spaced Girls have offered themselves up for the role of villain divas. In other words they are doing it deliberatley. There’s more notoriety in it. And more chance of being remembered. You just don’t want it to backfire. Princess Jen was made to look worse than she was initially, then she said on morning TV, “That’s not what I’m like” After that her character was more gracious.

2 Anna { 01.30.13 at 8:47 pm }

A lot of negative feed back on twitter tonight during/after the show… re space brats …. Cannot see them being on the bottom somehow. Brother and sister team however….

3 Littlepetal { 01.30.13 at 8:55 pm }

I agree with you. Space girls will not be at the bottom of the leader board. The Italian Stallion(he sounds like Miguel) and his partner could be the team to go.

This is only the first week and I feel like throwing the remote at the tele !!!! Bad for blood pressure.

4 Anna { 01.30.13 at 9:56 pm }

Miguel is Spanish and I love him in small doses :-) lol He used to cook at the place where I dined often… so know him well. BIG and LOUD

Italian Stallion would get on my nerves quickly, cougar is keeping him on a short leash LOL

Twinkle toes and his sister should be muted just like the space cadets…

A million dollar question … DO we like anyone in the first bracket?

Don’t mind the 1st 3 teams… loved that tonight they just cooked by ear, just like most people do nightly… ‘hope for the best philosophy’ :-)

5 Stacey { 01.30.13 at 10:27 pm }

Was good to see the WA team tonight, they were the first team I was actually nervous for when they were bringing each course out. It seemed almost everything went wrong in that kitchen! The first and last courses looked beautiful but gosh that main was just woeful looking. I was so excited when I first saw their menu but how did she manage to wreck 2 batches of couscous when she cooks it every week? So what if it was a different packet.

6 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 10:33 pm }

I think they stuffed up by driving so far to get the meat and having too much time pressure as a result. At the very least, one of them could have stayed home and done some prep or set up the room.

Or is this how these far out hipsters think,man?

Poor hipster girl had a nasty brown stain on the back of her dress. Not so hip, man.

7 Stacey { 01.30.13 at 10:42 pm }

They don’t even really seem all that ‘hipster’ like to me.

8 brain dead dave { 01.30.13 at 10:49 pm }

The main looked like something out of a “dumpster”.

9 Littlepetal { 01.30.13 at 10:51 pm }

I like their attitude in the kitchen. They supported each other and didn’t blame the other for the failures.

I am not sure why every team has to travel so far to get their supplies. I guess it is Channel 7 idea to stuff up the teams.

10 Stacey { 01.30.13 at 11:06 pm }

Yeh they did have a great attitude I agree. And they actually succeeded in an impossible task – making the Space Girls actually eat and LIKE something. But no they were still complaining only this time they were complaining that the meals were too small. What is their idea of the perfect portion? Beyond fussy.

11 Anna { 01.30.13 at 11:14 pm }

Space Cadets more then likely complain about every type of cuisine unless it’s Indian…

Wonder how hard it was to read cooking instructions on the back of the packet… so what if they like top brand and were using lesser brand on the show… Coles does NOT sell Simon Johnson products…

Was good to see 2 people having fun in the kitchen even though they had cameras in their faces…

12 sarnias { 01.31.13 at 12:05 am }

Gettin’ cross with Peter Allen and the Bollywood spice gals. Hope they ready to put their money where their mouths are.

13 Daisy { 01.31.13 at 1:16 am }

Yeah, I’m so over those Spaced Girls. Grating! Big mouths!
For those of you old enough; Black Swan is Eddie Haskell from “Leave it to Beaver”. Well scrubbed and smarmy. How coifed was his hairdo?
Even though the WAs stuffed up big time, I think I would have preferred it to eat it than Tassie’s because there was a bit more variety in terms of ingredients.
What is it that I like about the Cougar? Is it that she didn’t slap that Indian girl for being all over her man. No, that’s not it because that would have been great.
Stacey I thought the same thing ….how phoney those girls have been banging on about the portions.
I thought Hipster girl looked very pretty with her Morticia face too. They should have done The Adam’s Family instead of Black Champagne. And her bf could have kissed her all up her arm and neck. And they could have served a hand in a box.

14 Georgie { 01.31.13 at 7:08 am }

The voiceover and edits seemed to keep emphasising the fact that Morticia didn’t care for measuring ingredients or following recipes. I guess that was a prelude to messing up two lots of couscous. Later when it came to dessert, she was at the bf to remember the recipe!

That was interesting too because I didn’t realise they weren’t allowed to follow recipes. I know the final dishes to make up their menu isn’t revealed to them until the 11th hour, but you’d really be up shit creek if you put up your potential menus for any dishes you hadn’t tested to death many times beforehand.

Agree, the waste of space girls floored me when the complaints turned to “not enough” – before they had even tasted it! I replied to my TV “why, you haven’t eaten anything that’s been served to you so far”. Then, when they actually liked and ate something, I wanted to put up a post on the blog to announce it.

15 PollyB { 01.31.13 at 7:46 am }

WA hipsters? Left of field? Give me a break. They are mainstream, white bread, whatever yuppies are called today. He’s a glorified sales person (legal or accountancy, can’t remember) she sells dresses. They seemed to have no idea in the kitchen. Come on, it’s a cooking comp. And he looks decidedly like Thomas with less of a munched up mealy mouth. So far, the worst.
Looking like we’ve got a bit of CDWM in that casting is due to personality types not cooking skills. But, it beats Master Crap every day.
Bring on the space cadets!

16 Anna { 01.31.13 at 8:02 am }

She doesn’t like chocolate BUT she ate the fondant … Give me a break!! It’s all an act!!

Then moronic comments about food:

– get it away from me I *cough*BS*cough* can smell capsicum
– it looks like poo … Seriously, you are 2 yo?
– new one from promo ‘No more boring dinners’

They are there for the ratings … They are irritating the hell out of everyone, but we are still talking about them

They will not be automatically eliminated next week, BUT they’ll not survive commercial kitchen. Especially not working with Collin not allowing stuff ups nor tears

17 sue { 01.31.13 at 9:58 am }

Hey Polly B…. I too thought that josh looked like thomas and when he served the meals he had that deer caught in the headlights look,….. I think they both took a valium prior to cooking for all off there stuff ups they just didnt care and I really was over her saying MAN come MAN what will we do MAN ooohhh its the valium she couldnt remember his name,, MAN.. There meal was terrible from start to finish why would you go on National TV and make a yourself look like a total joke…. MAN……….. As for the spice girls…SLAP

18 Lea { 02.02.13 at 10:29 am }

I grew up next door to an Ab diver, and I was pretty appalled that he would mince an Ab … the mix looked cheap and floury to me ..

I was salivating for the main though .. EXCEPT .. did they use an icecream baller to serve the potato? I thought it looked terrible!!

I watched all the shows en-bloc last night as Ch had a giant recap.. husband was out, so I sat a metre in front of the tele and tweaked the aerial every time the reception fell out :)