Masterchef: The Professionals – Someone Got Roasted

Sunday night is re-invention night on Masterchef: The Professional’s and tonight they had to razzle up a family classic. The dish they have to cook was decided by a random knife draw. Not sure why the chef contestants were reluctant to volunteer to pull a knife out. I would have thought that by going on a reality show the point was to get as much attention as possible.  In the end Rhys pulled it out and surprise it was Sunday Roast. Do all the knives have the same thing written on them? Well if I was a betting person…..

Also lucky all those lovely pieces of meat were there in the pantry as well. What was also interesting was all the contestants, or the ones we saw which were quite a few, roasted meat. It was surprising not one of them reinvented it by roasting a fish or some seafood.

There appeared to be two different judging criterias happening. Firstly the dish has to reinvented into something different, but also it was meant to also have some connection with your families roast.

Matt Preston when speaking to Akuc told her  “We want to get a sense of what Sunday Roast meant for you” which may have been confusing for her as she was ready to cook pork as she wanted to try something different.  However she ended up changing to chicken as that was more what her family ate.

Whereas the judges asked other chef’s whether they had reinvented it enough and one chef thought they should be pushing boundaries.

One person struggling was former vegetarian Kylie who looked very unsure on how to roast pork. Her first mistake was taking the loin off the bone and cooking her crackling attached to the meat. Marco came around and gave her some advice. Maybe Marco is being too soft as he could have given her a tickle up about being a chef, and that being a former vegetarian is no excuse for not knowing how to do a basic method of cooking meat.

You knew Kylie was vulnerable when we saw her back story of her boyfriend being killed in a car accident. It was unclear how long it ago it occurred.

Tracey was also struggling, bombing out on her yorkshire puddings and having to remake them. Marco was a tad scathing about her recipe. Also have to confess not sure stuffing the yorkshire pudding with pork is actually a re-invention of the dish.

Nick on the other had was on fire for once. He was being innovative and turned turnip into horseradish sauce and even tried, albeit failed, to reinvent the yorkshire pudding. Is he finally finding his feet in the competition after what can only be described as a rollercoaster beginning. Marco called his turnip sauce “genius”.

Rhett the burnt out chef from Brisbane admits he is on the show to rediscover his love of cooking and it appears he can cook and is creative when pushed. Though he may need to find some mojo for his relationship as he said the last time he was romantic with his girlfriend was when he “asked her to go fishing with him”. Quite the catch there.

Rhys who is more used to seafood was told his reinvention was actually a french dish so was told he needed to add a twist or he could be in trouble. In the end they said the flavours were good.

Coop admitted his wife was more the roast cook in their house ended up making a rolled and pan roasted chicken breast with a mousse and a caper jus. Matt loved it as he likes crispy aka fatty fried stuff. Marco loved the new twist of the caper jus. He must have been unlucky to not make top three.

Tracey’s Stuffed Yorkshire Pudding with Pork looked like something seen in the top 50 of the amateur version of the show. As Matt pointed the puddings she used were starting to burn whereas the ones on the side plate were not. She said she used the burnt ones as they were deeper.  Marco did not pass comment, and advised her to put her energies into less components. Basically he thought there was too much going on. You get the feeling the clock is ticking on how long she can stay in the competition.

Sarah’s who must be marked as a serious contender in the competition made a Chicken Pithivier. Is this just a fancy way of saying pie? It received rave reviews from Marco and thought it was the best plated dish that she had served up.

Akuc’s chicken in a salad and spices looked nice but she was criticised for no juice which meant her chicken was dry. Maybe she should have stuck with the pork.

Kylie’s pork when served up did look pretty bad it was like a hunk of meat on a plate like you would get at one of those medieval theme dinners. She was told there was no re-invention, though she had done some good vegetables. Marco told her there was no re-invention in her dish.

Top three were Sarah, Nick and Rhett, with Nick winning for best dish. Does this give him an advantage in the Quickfire challenge tomorrow night?

Bottom three was Akuc, Kylie and Tracey. Akuc was safe as she cooked her meat on the bone, and Tracey’s crackling was crunchy so that made her safe . In the end Kylie’s vegetables could not save her and she was eliminated.

Marco kindly gave her a farewell speech saying the salad of Rabbit she had brought to him gave him great insight into what she was like. However he did not elaborate on what exactly that insight was. At least with Kylie gone it will be easier to identify who Sarah is as those two did look alike.

Masterchef: The Professionals on Sunday to Tuesday nights on TEN.

1 Littlepetal { 02.03.13 at 11:15 pm }

I was surprised that Marco is only 51 years old. He looks so much older than 51 years old.

From the start, you sort of know who are going to be in the bottom 3.

RR- Just wonder how you put this up when you are mid air.

2 Littlepetal { 02.03.13 at 11:22 pm }

Did SarahSarah make her own puff pastry?

3 Anna { 02.03.13 at 11:35 pm }

I know I’ve mentioned It before before, but MP’s etiquette is appalling

He just cannot stop eating… Tonight he inhaled all the cracklings & mash, hardly leaving Marco anything to try. That was just from one contestant.

He keeps on saying Akuch there is no ch on the end of the name just C

Tracy’s dish looked like a disaster. Who cares if her crackling was OK, everything else looked aweful. Kylie’s dish looked nice…

The creative editing is still there … Contestants taking dishes up to be judged & Tracy still had her plate & Akuc didn’t , even though we’ve seen Tracy go up & Akuc was waiting for her turn

For now Rhett & Cassie are favorites …

4 Robl { 02.04.13 at 12:23 am }

Yeah the contrary criticism “this dish is a reinvention… but we want something that is from your heart! your childhood!” or “This is a very traditional dish from your heart… but it’s a reinvention test!” is annoying.

5 Dunbi { 02.04.13 at 12:44 am }

I think the two dishes pulled out so far have been very difficult to re-invent. It would have been far easier to re-invent spag bol, curry or a pizza. Whilst the chicken pie did look delicious, I feel it’s something you would do with leftovers. I was surprised Tracey didn’t go, her meal looked like a dogs breakfast, and the puddings were burnt. I think she might have been surprised as well!

6 A.P { 02.04.13 at 12:52 am }

If they are doing something from the heart or memories of their childhood, then Yorkshire Pudding cannot really be re invented as it just spoils it. I lived there for the first ten years of my life and my mother cooked that every week, it was delicious.
I think it must be confusing for the contestants to try to reinvent a well known dish and make it better, why change a traditional dish as they are being given mixed signals.
They all did a pretty good job though I thought.

7 Daisy { 02.04.13 at 1:52 am }

Make it different, no make it the same. No make up your bloody mind. And we all knew who was going by the back story formula.

OMG How awsome was UPDOWN on ABC tonight. I am buying the box set of both seasons.

8 Lesley { 02.04.13 at 8:14 am }

Daisy, I am with you about UPDOWN I wondered how they could fit anything else into the double episode.

9 A.P { 02.04.13 at 8:52 am }

Daisy and Lesley, yes it was great and I also caught up with another show that started on Saturday night on ABC called The Paradise, an 8 part series about the first department store in England in Victorian times, if you liked Updown, you will love it and you can catch up with it on Iview Channel 2 which I’ve just discovered so we don’t have to miss another show now!

10 Joseph Skyrim { 02.04.13 at 8:58 am }

Hmm Sunday roast is a thing then? I’d be in trouble since my family doesn’t have Sunday roast. Maybe that’s why I didn’t connect to this episode so much and found it a bit -meh-. I would have actually liked to see them reinvent spag bol though!

As for Akuc being pronounced as “Akuch” it may just be the correct way to say it? For example how would you pronounce Niamh and Neamhain? The correct answers are “Neve” and “Navin”. 😛

Interested to see what this lot can do in 10 minutes as some of the amatas managed to pull off some good stuff in that time too.

11 annajjj { 02.04.13 at 9:04 am }

Great recap RR thank you. I was a bit annoyed that they kept focusing on some of the contestants while others didn’t get a look in. I don’t think that dark haired guy (don’t know his name) has featured in anything more than the team challenges yet. It seems late in the series to not have introduced them all. So I’m guessing he will be featured next and then promptly leave. Nothing from Cassie either tonight and a couple of the others didn’t feature at all yet we managed to have time for 2 minute repeats of MP & MPW’s comments after each ad break as well as plenty of footage of MP hooking into the meals.
Totally agree with you on the Kylie/Sarah lookalike thing.

12 Carole { 02.04.13 at 9:08 am }

Well for once Cassie wasn’t in the top 3, hardly saw her at all last night. Didn’t even show her dish, or did I miss it? That pea puree looked revolting. I hate peas, so the thought of them pureed is just yuk!!!! I agree, I think the judges can be very confusing in their instructions. The other week, they told someone they took too big a risk, then in the judging told them they were being too safe. Make up your mind. I thought he was going to tell Sarah that it wasn’t a roast, instead he praised it. I don’t think she should have been in the top 3 for a pie. I really felt for Tracey being from Yorkshire and not making good Yorkshire puddings. How embarrassing for her. I never do crackling, too many things can go wrong with it. But I do love to eat it!!!!

13 sue { 02.04.13 at 9:28 am }

I am so surprised that tracey didnt go… she always looks so …. so …….. um ………. um ……. oh i dont know she looks like she should be behind the counter a Maccas

14 Daisy { 02.04.13 at 9:33 am }

Is Tracey really a professional chef, really? She has the camera on her every week because of her bumbling around. What has Akuc made to demonstrate being a pro? Apart from a few of these guys I find it hard to imagine them preparing food for a living. The majority are cooking like amateurs. Embarrassing to the profession. That must be why I eat at home.
This show is also embarrassing itself with the backstories. Milking the death of a bf….? Don’t know how his family would like it. I wonder if the girl with the hearing aid enjoys them focussing on her aid. And last night I noticed that they dull the music when they show her ear piece. Again a bit sordid, using her disability for ratings. She’s a person not a disability.
I hope in future the producers lift their game in terms of authenticity in these shows. They need to tweek the formula too. And leave the back stories to the TV mags. I don’t believe that cooking has to be romantic, about your story or any of that BS. It does have to look good, taste great, smell good and hopefully be nutritious. If it’s inventive that’s a big bonus. Other than that ….ridiculous.

AP I meant to watch the Paradise and forgot. I will try and catch up before next week. OMG again on the final of UPDOWN last night.

15 Anonymous { 02.04.13 at 9:58 am }

Sue @13 Flushed? Flustered? Flummoxed? FLoundering?
Any of these words help?

16 Dr T { 02.04.13 at 10:06 am }

I just thought Rhett and Marco’s exchange at the start was brilliant… “What are you going to call me this week Marco?”

I don’t think these people are an embarrassment to their profession at all. They’re trying to be creative under pressure, which would be different to working behind the stove and banging out the same food over and over again.

17 Daisy { 02.04.13 at 10:34 am }

@15 Oh That was me, turned anon.

18 annajjj { 02.04.13 at 10:42 am }

Daisy – “I don’t believe that cooking has to be romantic, about your story or any of that BS. It does have to look good, taste great, smell good and hopefully be nutritious. ”
Yes yes yes! This.

19 JK { 02.04.13 at 11:19 am }

*Yawn* I am always missing the first bit of the episode. I wonder where these guys are staying? Suppose they get a change room so that you don’t know who has made friends with whom….

20 Anna { 02.04.13 at 11:21 am }

Sadly Bonny’s story was already milked for ratings prior to the show starting

Coop & Akuc back stories feature almost in every episode… enough already! It’s still a cooking show, audience is not voting…

Not sure what the logic was last night and last week when they sent Kiah and Kylie home….

If a male goes tonight than I’m guessing it’s either Luke or Nathan. Otherwise could be Akuc and on Sarah on Monday

Starting to think they are trying to spell MAKKAS. only with K’s & not C’s :-)

21 brain dead dave { 02.04.13 at 11:29 am }

Tracey and her Yuckshire Pudding seemed the obvious cull but RR spotted it – as soon as Kylie’s dead boyfriend story is unleashed, the ducks , drakes and $hine skullduggery have started. As in war, with Ma$terchef , truth is the first casualty.

Seems these favourite dishes were invented, developed and then perfected by cooks to a universally accepted standard for good, sound reasons. If it ain’t broke, why f*** with it , Jowl$y?
Jam your whimsical food snob banter about cooking from the heart, too. It’s baloney.

Jowl$y looked like a huge ,cravatted ladybird in the red outfit. It’s hard to believe that he and Marco are the same age because Jowl$y would often pass for a Yr 7 schoolboy.

I’m not that enamoured with Ma$terchef’s fascination with reinvention, I merely switched over and watched Australia re- invent unsportsmanlike ways to play cricket.

Marco’s good during these reinvention tests, because he seems to lose his habit of mindless repetition somewhat.

22 2ndhand { 02.04.13 at 12:01 pm }

Looks good…tastes good….but no romance on the plate???? Please!! Perhaps Rhett could have used one of those heart shaped cooked cutters on the potatoes. Or maybe used red roses as a side dish (thorns removed of course). Or served it with a glass of champagne…….the list goes on.

23 Joseph Skyrim { 02.04.13 at 12:16 pm }

Whoa, Marco and Matt P are the same age? Just goes to show what stress can do to a guy. And what too much food can do to the other. 😛

24 Bolders { 02.04.13 at 12:41 pm }

Yes I have to agree – the rules for this re-invention test were as solid as the steam rising from that deep fryer Nick was using to incinerate his Yorkshire pudding.
Seems it came down to still cooking something on the bone in the oven but playing around with the sides. That’s re-invention?

BTW isnt re-invention redundant? If it’s invented and all you’re doing is “improving it” then aren’t you just oh I dont know, IMPROVING it and not re-inventing it.

If I had kitchen skills and was in the competition then given the rules my ‘re-ninvention’ of the Sunday Roast would be to have it on Monday.

25 Dunbi { 02.04.13 at 12:54 pm }

I’m with BDD on this. I don’t like the re-inventions at all. If I order fish and chips that’s what I want. If I order a roast chicken meal I would be upset to receive a chicken pie. Bring back the mystery box!

26 Anna { 02.04.13 at 1:07 pm }

Oh I don’t know… spuds can be improved ie. baked in duck fat :-)

Second Sunday in a row I’m wondering if the re-invention means using old ingredients to create a new dish, and still have the flavor of the old one… (sounds like something from MP) lol

27 sue { 02.04.13 at 1:31 pm }

thanks annon @15…. all those words and more, tracey just seems so unprofessional with ever thing she does. cant wait for MKR tonight yeh :)

28 essenzzaa { 02.04.13 at 11:17 pm }

Still find MPW & MP disturbingly entertaining. For those commenting on their vintage, I still enjoy memories of Marco with a FAG HANGING FROM HIS MOUTH, whilst serving it up! Tobacco does wreck yer looks,kids. Chuck em away!

29 Daisy { 02.05.13 at 12:54 am }

BDD@21 “Food snob banter”. Just what I think when they blither blather pompously.
Bolders@ 24. Having it on Monday. Good one. Thinking outside the box.