Masterchef: The Professionals – Jacque Versus The Professionals

What is it with Wallaby? Is it the new trend in food this year? First it was on MKR and now Masterchef. Two weeks ago I did not even know you could eat it.

Tonight Rhett, Luke, Tracey, Bonny, Michael, and Cassie are up for elimination, but everyone can avoid it if they can beat Jacque Reymond and his team in a three course cook off to be decided by the vote of the diners.

Marco Pierre White was not going to be working the pass, so they picked Michael to be their head chef. They also had to design their own menu.

With Cassie and Bonny doing dessert. You get the feeling sexism is alive and well in the kitchen and would like to have seen the negotiations on who did what. Tracey also hinted at it when she muttered she was the one always sent to the pantry.

Buddies Rhett, Michael and Luke seemed to be taking control or over sighting everything. Luke and Rhett for entree made swordfish scallops with cauliflower puree, jamon and asparagus. Now when Marco comes over and queries that your portions are too small you should really listen. The diners were basically given two 50 cent size pieces of swordfish. That was the only criticism of dish. Whereas Jacque’s team had left the poop chute in as they ran out of prep time.

For main Tracey and Michael were making roast veal with fennel onion puree. Michael who was also the head chef, was trying to tell Tracey how to sear the veal, which irritated her. Clearly he did not have confidence in her cooking ability.

He was also concerned that she would over cook the veal, and he was right. Interesting that most of the diners liked the very rare wallaby, as marsupial is always a divisive dish.

Bonny and Cassie made meringues with berry soup for dessert. Bonny had a bit of a disaster with the meringues by accidentally leaving the door open on the oven. When Luke spotted it she did declare she had shut it, so the mystery will have been solved for her last night on what happened. Cassie and her cherry picked the best ones out, with Cassie looking pretty unimpressed by this stuff up.

Their dessert plate did look pretty but both judges were not happy about the meringue but the diners did not seem to care. It was a stinking hot day in Melbourne apparently and Jacque’s trio of desserts looked like they were melting on the plate.

Jacque’s team won the entree getting 16 tables votes to nine.

The Masterchef Professionals were thrashed in the main only winning three of the Β 25. Lucky for the girls their dessert won by just one table so even thought the meringues were not perfect they were safe.

It was then no surprise when Tracey was told she was eliminated. Even though she had had a bit of stick from her fellow contestants over the past couple of weeks she seemed to bear no ill will and hugged it out before she left.

Masterchef: The Professionals – on TEN Sunday to Tuesday nights at 7.30pm.

1 Joseph Skyrim { 02.06.13 at 11:25 am }

Well, contrary to what I said yesterday I also liked this episode! πŸ˜› Some silly thoughts while watching it:

Luke, Rhett and Michael in a car being driven to the MC Kitchen <- that's the Masterchef Kitchen, not Mcdonald's. The last two were in shorts. Once they did the walk to the locker room they had long pants on. I hope they didn't change -in- the car as it looked rather tight in the back there.

Jacques appears and insults Marco (and all other english chefs, ala "I fart in your general direction") back-handedly! Infact he does this the -whole- night. It's awesome. Yes, I'm reading between the lines but sometimes the story is funnier there. πŸ˜›

Jacques: "Firstly I am so happy to be on this show and secondly… oh wait no, that is second. Firstly I am so pleased to meet Marco, the best -English- chef. The best looking -english- chef." (to himself: but we all know us french are much better looking and better at cooking and love making, oui oui oui *twirls mustache if he had one*)

Oh noes! Bonny while trying to make one component of the dessert failed to hear the door to the oven close!! And not because she's hearing impaired, simply because it didn't! πŸ˜›

Michael during prep, going one hundred miles an hour while Tracey is shown to be … uhh … getting lost in the kitchen? Finally she decides to handle Michael's meat. He tells her the proper technique, repeatedly, perhaps a bit of Marco rubbed off on him? Not that it matters since Tracey is all "shut up, I've done this a hundred times!"

A hundred times wrongly apparently.

There is some relief for the MC Brigade when they send her to go get the butter. "They always send me," Tracey muses happily to the camera. Yes, I'm sure there's a -reason- for that Tracey…

Entree time and what better way for Jacques to insult Marco than sending him poop? "Muahahahaha" the old man thinks to himself. His shit is so much better than Rhett's swordfish though and he wins that round.

"If I added a little more fish to the dish it would have beaten Jacques poop," says Rhett to the camera in his -I know I'm right- manner. If only he actually did that when Marco suggested it to him earlier?

Mains. Jacques laughs insanely as he sends Marco some unfamiliar meat that the poor man has never tasted before, but surprisingly Marco loves it, gobbling down every last inch and licking up all the sauce that went with it (putting Preston to shame actually). Almost all the other diners preferred it to Tracey's offering too.

Dessert time and honestly I thought the MCcrew's dish was crrrrrap. Methinks they only "won" one by "one" table because it would have been embarrasing to get smashed in all three rounds. Ironically enough, Jacques' dessert had a turd shaped mousse hidden by a block of chocolate ("Put that on top there, you don't want to see the mousse!"). I could just picture him grinning as he watched Marco eat that too.

As one diner put it "Dessert with no chocolate is not a dessert!"

Jacques and crew then leave smugly, leaving Tracey to be eliminated. Good play by Michael leaving her pretty much solo on the mains, one could argue he actually intended this result to happen.

Despite her stuff ups, I still like Tracey because she hugged everyone at the end like a good sport. :)

Next week – the mystery box is back! And from the ads it is obviously some of that holy light contained in the Ark of the Covenant (Indiana Jones) that they need to cook with. "Holy" crap indeed! πŸ˜›

2 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:28 am }

Well she was flushed, flustered, flummoxed and floundering. Too bad she didn’t do an Anthony and flounce off.
She was one of my favourites in week one but she seemed to struggle so much. I need an fl word for stubborn because she wouldn’t listen to her team leader last night and she sure wasn’t going to let Luke interfere.
I think soon we’ll see the comp heat up.

3 Bolders { 02.06.13 at 11:37 am }

Flabbergasted – Daisy? It doesnt mean stubborn but we could pretend.

4 annajjj { 02.06.13 at 11:37 am }

Thanks for the recap RR. Completely agree about wallaby, had anyone heard of it as a food two weeks ago?
Missed the show tonight but still enjoy the recap and comments.

5 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:41 am }

Joseph there aren’t enough acronyms or squiggles on computer for me to tell you how much I laughed all the way through your write up.

Truly well done.

6 brain dead dave { 02.06.13 at 11:42 am }

What’s next week ? A Mystery Box with a dead Au$tralian icon in it.

Poached platypus? Crumbed Koala?

Hands off our marsupials, $hine.

Marco warned Rhett about the tight arsed serves of swordfish but he still cooked for sparrows.

7 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:44 am }

Was it FLUKE that she lasted as long as she did?

8 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:47 am }

BDD Hands off our marsupials. LOL

9 Chris W { 02.06.13 at 11:48 am }

I’m surprised that some people didn’t know about wallaby as food. Wallaby has been on sale in the meat department of Coles in Tasmania for many years, and it’s not overly expensive either.

10 Joseph Skyrim { 02.06.13 at 11:49 am }

@Daisy (5) – Hehe thank you! πŸ˜€

@BDD (6) – Actually I think someone cooks camel eventually? RR posted that Marco during an interview divulged that it was the worst thing he had ever eaten in his life. Spoiler perhaps? πŸ˜›

11 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:57 am }

Camel’s already been done. Bear Grills ate camel scrotum….and threw up.

12 brain dead dave { 02.06.13 at 11:57 am }

I thought Wallabies were only slaughtered on the sporting field.

There’s an abbatoir near the Adelaide Hills that still processes a few camels, Joseph. I think they can find their ways into pies eventually.

13 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:58 am }

If you 2 aren’t already on TV you definitely should be getting a call soon.

14 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 12:20 pm }

When the contestants’ dessert came out the plate looked like somebody had already eaten the main component, and only the decoration was left.

15 Joseph Skyrim { 02.06.13 at 12:42 pm }

@Daisy (14) – Yup, my thoughts exactly. It may have been pretty, but jeez – there was more on the swordfish entree than that!

16 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 1:15 pm }

@Joseph. All spots and drizzle. The guests would have had to lean forward and lick their plates to get any sweets.

17 Dunbi { 02.06.13 at 1:29 pm }

I would have voted for the meringue. The deconstructed ‘tart’ would have been a huge disappointment to me. Tiny blobs on a plate does not a dessert make. One of Bonnie’s problems was that she was unable to turn off the fan in the oven. I liked Tracey but it was time for her to go. I think she was rather flummoxed.
Well done Joseph.

18 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 2:03 pm }

@Joseph. All pretty blobs and drizzle. The diners would have had to lean forward and lick their plates to get dessert.

19 Joseph Skyrim { 02.06.13 at 2:17 pm }

Maybe it was Cassie and Bonnie’s way of telling someone to lose weight? πŸ˜›

@Dunbi (16) – Thanks! ^_^

20 Anna { 02.06.13 at 2:24 pm }

Matt made a huge deal about finding poopshoot on his plate… LOL

At times when Marco speaks Matt gives him a ‘You are wrong & I’m right’ look…

Time to replace him with a Chef…

Wish I could go to Jacque Reymond restaurant …

21 Daze { 02.06.13 at 2:30 pm }

Anna, totally shameful to Jacque and his team to leave those ‘chutes’ for diners to eat unknowingly or have to pull out. Yuk. Generally if Matt/Marco were to judge a contestant on that oversight, they’d be in the locker room so fast……

22 Carole { 02.06.13 at 6:36 pm }

I hadn’t heard of eating wallaby either, only kangaroo. I’ve eaten camel, not the scrotum though, and wasn’t mad on it.

Well I’m glad I’m not on this show or I would be arguing with the judges continually.

That is bullshit that Jacques won the entree with the poo shoot still in the prawns. That is supposed to be an absolute no no. I couldn’t believe that they won. Not just Matt & Marco complained about it, the customers were too. Not sure why Rhett didn’t add more swordfish when he was told it wasn’t enough. Maybe there wasn’t more or he ran out of time.

As for the main courses, from where I was sitting in my lounge room, that veal did not look overcooked, it was still pink inside. The wallaby was still raw, it was bright red and looked disgusting. No way I would have eaten that. I felt sorry for Tracey. When she said she knew how to do it, he should have just left her to it instead of harping on about it.

And the dessert. You knew there was trouble when they showed the oven door not closed when Bonny put the meringues in. I was watching anxiously thinking when is someone going to notice it didn’t shut. Finally someone did but it was too late. I didn’t think they had a hope of winning, they were a disaster. I thought Bonny was a goner for sure, since they were showing her more than usual. But by some miracle they won that round.

But Tracey was gracious and hugged everyone on her way out.

23 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 6:58 pm }

The judges onthese show always want their meat dripping blood. Didn’t you see Manu’s and Pete’s scornful faces on MKR when New Money asked how they wanted their steak; as if there was any way but one.

24 Carole { 02.06.13 at 7:14 pm }

Yeah, I have noticed that Daisy, it makes me sick every time I see it. I don’t watch MKR, so haven’t seen that.

25 A.P { 02.06.13 at 7:30 pm }

Daisy and Carole, I noticed that too. Why is it a crime to like steak cooked well done? They would hate me then. Everyone is different and he was just being polite to ask and everyone looked at him like he was crazy. Very rude.
The spite girls sniggering and laughing at everything put in front of them is rude too when someone’s worked hard to put a meal in front of them.
Sorry, I seem to be mixing up the two cooking shows oops!

26 Carole { 02.06.13 at 8:07 pm }

Yeah, that annoys me too AP, they act as if it is a crime to like well done meat and look down their noses at people who do. Yeah they would hate me too.

27 Georgie { 02.06.13 at 9:00 pm }

Don’t worry ladies you should see the looks I get when I ask for my fish well done! I don’t eat raw seafood and don’t like the way tuna and Atlantic salmon are usually served – undercooked in the middle. When I order fish I say “please cook it right through”.

28 Reality Raver { 02.06.13 at 9:16 pm }

I am the opposite I like rare fish and medium rare steak. Not sure how I like my wallaby though.

Chris W – that is interesting

Joseph Skyrim – LOL – love it

29 Georgie { 02.06.13 at 9:25 pm }

I like beef and lamb medium rare but I think I would rather the wallaby was hopping about in the wild. πŸ˜€

30 Littlepetal { 02.06.13 at 9:38 pm }

I like my salmon either raw like sashimi or cook through. Whereas with chicken, the rule is it has to be cooked through but my family will poach the chicken and you can still see some pink in the bones. We like it that way. Big fail in MC or MKR

31 A.P { 02.06.13 at 9:55 pm }

Good on you Georgie, I would do that too.

32 Justice { 02.06.13 at 11:31 pm }

MasterChef fails in ratings… 550,000 viewers versus MKR at 2,200,000.
Die Cravatski you fat, greedy, f#@k, die!

33 Anna { 02.07.13 at 12:02 am }
34 Masterchef: The Professionals – Female Contestants Confirm Sexism In The Kitchen | reality ravings { 02.10.13 at 8:09 am }

[…] issue was raised on this blog and by commenters on this blog postΒ here and […]