My Kitchen Rules – Surprise And Now We Have Twitter Race Row

Well surprise surprise contestants get a bad edit and then people say mean things about them on Twitter and this time it is about their race.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that My Kitchen Rules may have pulled their twitter feed because of racist remarks being made. Not sure why MKR would pull the tweets that were being screen as they censor them anyway and it is all pretty sanitised. So tend to believe them when they say it was a technical issue.

However there have been tweets that have been racially based. Some examples as reported in the Daily Telegraph are:

”The Indian b…..s are so going” and ”pack your bags girls, back to India” were amongst the tweets aimed at the pair.

Other comments included ”they are m….s who rate themselves far too highly”, ”Jessie and Biswa your (sic) i….s” and ”watching Jessie and Biswa cook makes (me) either want to take a taxi somewhere or sing Jai Ho”.

”Jessie and Biswa are like the Collingwood of MKR. 90% of the country is against them and the few that do support them are probably r……d”, another tweeted.

Members of the Indian community also slammed the pair on social media.

”I’m embarrassed for my race, my ancestors are rolling in their graves at that horrific display of Indian culture,” one tweeted.

”Jessie & Biswa wake up the next day to find out they have been disowned by the Indian community,” another posted.

Of course the girls are getting negative comments on the social media they are getting an extremely bad edit, the contestants around the table appear to barely tolerate them and they have received the majority of screen show to ensure that viewers were whipped up into a frenzy about them.

Any Jessie and Biswa should take comfort in the fact that the night they cooked Australia wide over 3.2 million people watched them and MKR would not have had the cracker start without those two girls. Giving me their type any day over the controlled Lisa.

My Kitchen Rules – Monday to Thursday nights on SEVEN at 7.30pm.

1 Georgie { 02.06.13 at 8:13 am }

Vapid, vacuous, waste of space girls. Zero knowledge and appreciation of food – their jejune behaviour and palates don’t belong on MKR. They’ve ceased to be irritatingly entertaining and are now spoiling the show for me. Get rid of these two embarrassing empty vessels.

2 Morgan { 02.06.13 at 8:15 am }

There are always going to be inbreds saying nasty things about minorities. Sad, but true and it’s one of those things you have to prepare for when you go on national television. Even if Jessie and Biswa were given a more positive edit they would still be getting racist remarks thrown at them. That being said, as cocky as those two girls are, I don’t think they’re nasty people. Jake & Elle and Lisa are the real villians in my eyes, and even then they’re nowhere near as bad as Thomas & Carla.

3 Joseph Skyrim { 02.06.13 at 8:50 am }

As a general remark I find it frustrating when silly tweets appearing at the bottom of the TV screen. I hope this trend does not continue. As for the girls it sounds like they’re getting exactly what they wanted, fame (infamy is good enough). Why else would -anyone- audition for a reality tv show?

4 Littlepetal { 02.06.13 at 8:56 am }

Thomas toned down once his score was the lowest. These 2 girls behaviour didn’t change a bit after their disater in the kitchen. They giggled when Jake get low scores or feedback and then gave disgusting look when the judges gave 9 to Jake. I think they are the worst team in term of attitude and behaviour.

5 PollyB { 02.06.13 at 9:12 am }

I thought these girls were bunging it on for the telly, but after that performance at Jake and Elle’s, now way. Is this their behaviour a case or by nature or by nurture? Unfortunately I think it is the latter.

6 Drb123 { 02.06.13 at 9:15 am }

They dish out criticism pretty easily while they seem to be a combination of appalling cooks and horrible immature company. They give plenty of scope to be criticised without reducing it to race. Stunt casting has paid off

7 A.P { 02.06.13 at 9:15 am }

Definitely agree with you Littlepetal about their attitude. They are doing themselves no favours by the way they act. They should try to be more gracious and stop looking so puzzled that Jake and Ella got a higher score than them .
I was a bit puzzled with the choice of T.Bone, it was just a glorified BBQ really, I thought they would do quail or pheasant under glass or something posh and refined as befitting their character.However, it still would have been an enjoyable meal and ten times better than the Spice Girls.
Their entrees and dessert looked delicious so they did pretty well I thought.

8 Reality Raver { 02.06.13 at 9:17 am }

Recaps for MKR and MC will be up within the hour, just trying to razzle and sub-edit them

9 JaniceG { 02.06.13 at 9:19 am }

Ironic that the very first episode that I’ve ever watched of MKR was a controversial one! I don’t support anyone making racist comments about anyone but without knowing anything else about them, I found the behavior of those girls to be spectacularly rude and immature: rolling their eyes, making faces, glaring at the camera, etc. Even their comments about the food were shallow, not to mention the punitive low scores for Jake and Elle. Mind you, my husband and I actually looked up the rules to see whether we understood the scoring correctly, as we couldn’t imagine a setup where teams who know where they are in the hierarchy of a competition can affect the scores of their rivals.

10 Golo i Wesolo { 02.06.13 at 9:25 am }

This is what I love about Australia. Australians pride themselves on being multicultural, yet most of them hold deep-seeded prejudices against anybody who isn’t “white.” One of my best friends is Indian and, trust me, his whole country knows how most Australians really are – they aren’t stupid. I don’t blame them for being skeptical.

Of course their edit played a role in it all. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever edited this absolutely pathetic excuse of a reality TV show was anti-Indian either.

11 Rosalind { 02.06.13 at 9:27 am }

Whilst I do not condone to any measure the comments directed against the girls, their behaviour last night was terrible. I know they are most likely being given a bad edit as we love a villain, but they came across as incredibly petulant. They seemed completely unaware of how poor their restaurant was compared to the food last night.
I agree that their behaviour is no longer entertaining, just incredibly irritating. Perhaps an editing decision so we don’t miss them as much when they’re gone?

12 Golo i Wesolo { 02.06.13 at 9:37 am }

And as for people saying “they brought upon themselves for acting the way they did, haha!”, I’m sure you were the same people who supported Benjamin “Bully” Norris (i.e., a white guy) for his absolutely atrocious behaviour on Big Brother.

I love double standards.

13 Bolders { 02.06.13 at 9:47 am }

The same people who hated Thomas last year (aka “white guy”?) golo?

Yeah, keep looking for it – you seem to find a reason to be outraged easily.

14 Trent { 02.06.13 at 9:48 am }

People still cant let the Benjamin Bullying crap go..

Estelle did not win. MOVE ON

15 Momo { 02.06.13 at 9:58 am }

It is wrong to stereotype a particular race, no questions about that. However, their behavior is bad NO matter which race / religion they come from. From being downright rude, then deluded and self-entitled…. and then not even having the basic manners to eat with their mouths closed and not talk with their mouths opened…..

I think Jake and Elle have the technique and skills to back up their claims, so they ARE entitled to it. Couldn’t help seeing his passion for cooking shinet hrough last night.

16 Sandii { 02.06.13 at 10:04 am }

I am really disappointed with the direction the show is heading. I initially thought that it would be good viewing to have a couple of villains on the show but now I think it is over shadowing a really fun family show. I don’t think the spice girls are playing the game within the spirit of the competition. It is one thing to secretly hope that the other team bombs a bit, and it is another thing to want to give a ridiculous score of zero or one.

17 JaniceG { 02.06.13 at 10:15 am }

@Sandii “I don’t think the spice girls are playing the game within the spirit of the competition. It is one thing to secretly hope that the other team bombs a bit, and it is another thing to want to give a ridiculous score of zero or one.” As I noted previously, I am surprised that the rules of the competition allow contestants to know their relative scores and then still get to cast votes that will affect their competitors’ scores. If you actually want to win a contest, it’s perfectly within the spirit of competition to do what you can to win. Even if they don’t give an absurdly obvious score of 1 or 0, I would bet that teams who might actually think food is worth an 8 or 9 probably give a 5 or 6 to keep the other team’s score within reach. I blame the setup of the show for the ability to cast low scores for your competition, not the competitors.

18 Bolders { 02.06.13 at 10:22 am }

I agree Sandii #16 – Shine has turned this program into a Freakshow. The thing is that they dont need to develop so called villains to attract viewers. I remember the huge positive response to those sisters who cooked that beetroot soup and the two Italian boys who did the amazing roast at their dinner party.

You just dont need this nasty element on the show.

19 Rosie { 02.06.13 at 10:27 am }

I can’t see where any criticism of the Space Girls (I forget who named them that, but goodonya!) has to do with anything other than their appalling behaviour. People are only referring to them as “the Indian girls” because they happen to be of Indian racial descent.

Surely the cougar and her cute boyfriend won’t score lower than 41 tonight, so it will be bye bye Space Girls. Please!

20 Dr T { 02.06.13 at 10:28 am }

I didn’t get a chance to watch last nights yet (Qld)… Unless Stefano and Lisa whip something unexpected/amazing out it doesn’t look like their are any high quality cooks in this 1st batch. No one is sure how the Tassie boys got 80, the Melb people were ok, and we’ve had 3 disasters now.

I’m hoping their are more good cooks in the 2nd lot, otherwise the rounds at Kitchen HQ / Kitchen Stadium… whatever they call it… aren’t going to be that great

21 Littlepetal { 02.06.13 at 10:36 am }

Yes, no outstanding team in Group 1. I am talking about cooking skills not the other outstanding behaviour.

Hope to see better cooking in Group 2.

22 Sandii { 02.06.13 at 10:43 am }

Hi JaniceG ,where do you read the rules because it would be really interesting to do so.

23 momo { 02.06.13 at 10:48 am }

i hope the other teams give the cougar and her cub a ridiculously high score tonight!!! just so the spice girls remain at the
bottom :)

24 2ndhand { 02.06.13 at 10:55 am }

OMG – just thought of a way that the Space Cadets (think they not yet “girls” – still in training!) stay in the show. Perhaps it is the bottom of the 2 groups combined that get eliminated?? Anyone know?

25 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:06 am }

Here we go again. Australians are racist. Well, as an Australian I find that stereotype a racist comment in itself.

Although I don’t read twitter, I’d hazzard a gueess that most comments aimed at Jessie and Biswa are aimed at them personally, not all Indians and Bangladeshis and because of heir behaviour not their race.

26 Daisy { 02.06.13 at 11:18 am }

2ndhand. I’m pretty sure they already said the bottom of each group will go.

Boulders I don’t think we’ll have to put up with them for much longer. I’m over their rudeness. Some things to know when in company, especially at a dinner table; no whispering, no snide remark …and no phones. Actually surprising they J&B weren’t texting as well. Oh and regarding last night’s obviously NEW money; if you are going to put anything ‘gratin’ on the menu know how to pronounce it. Those spuds aren’t posh. We have them when I’m in a hurry.
And I love Big Tassie’s expecting something ‘SWISH’. Haven’t heard that word since I was a kid but I think I will drag it out again.

None of them yet are as bad as Thomas.

27 JaniceG { 02.06.13 at 1:41 pm }

Sandii: We couldn’t actually find the rules on the show’s own site! (The About page does have a prominent headline that says “Who’s kitchen will rule?” so quality control on their web site is obviously not a priority. *sigh*) We found the following description on the Wikipedia entry for Season 3: “After the team served all three meals to the judges and their opposition, each opposing team gave them a score out of ten for the overall performance (i.e., food, service, entertainment, etc.). Then, each judge gave a score out of ten for each of the three dishes.”

28 Francis Chu { 02.06.13 at 6:02 pm }

Or as a certain Sydney radio station said “two Indian contestants in a cooking reality show”.
But then again, Erin Maher is the 2GB/2CH/2KY Macquarie National News director.