My Kitchen Rules – Chris and Sam Cook But Were They Really Running Out Of Eggs

The second round of home restaurants kicked of in Melbourne with cousin Sam and Chris cooking. They were presented as cool and urbane, however if you want to pass as an inner city wanker you really should not put as much sugar as they did into good coffee.

The other teams were the domestic goddess from South Australia, Jenna and Joanne. Jenna reminded me of Alice from the Vicar of Dibley in look and in intelligence. Joanne was a stay at home mum and Jenna worked in an upmarket patisserie. In fact most of the teams did not seem that bright but will give them the benefit of the doubt as it was their first time in front of the cameras and they would have been nervous.

However the South Australian team may not be the biggest ‘villian’s’ of round two as the Western Australian team of Lisa and Candice look pretty bitchy. Why are all the villain’s this year female?

The Tasmanian team of Allie and Samuel seem to be the Thomas and Carla of this series except Allie appears to be in love with Samuel rather than Tom being in love with Carla.

Sam and Chris called their restaurant Food Alley to give it a inner city vibe complete with menu on a chalk board.

Their entree was Spinach and Ricotta Runny Egg Ravioli, main was Lamb Roulade with Mint and Pea Puree, and dessert was Coconut Creme Caramel with Almond Praline.

As any savvy MKR viewer knows they like to flag the up coming plot lines this time it was about the eggs for their dinner. They said they had to ensure they had enough, fast forward and of course they kept on cracking yolks and low and behold we had the tension of whether Sam would be able to keep the last yolk intact to have twelve ravioli to serve for entree.

But was their poetic licence being used for this plot line? Let’s have a look at the eggs they were using.

First the boys are in Coles buying the 36 eggs they think they require, this was two packets of eighteen.

Then we get to the “oh my god we only have eight eggs left” shot.

And then we get to the close up of the only one egg left shot.

Hmmm all different egg packets. Looks a bit suspect to me.

Lucky for them they did present the ravioli with runny yolk, but the judges said it was flavourless. Jenna’s egg was hard, and Candice from WA does not like egg.

Their main of Lamb Roulade with pea and mint puree, was cooked rare, medium rare and well done quite a feat but not in a good way. That was not their only woe as Manu found a piece of string in his meat as did some of the others. Manu also wanted sauce. Maybe those boys  need to lay off the Corona the beer sprinkled throughout the kitchen, something that is as ubicuous as the Campbells Stock in the pantry in this series.

Manu as not happy that Sam kept on smiling when he was giving him a negative critique he thought it meant he was not taking it seriously.  Sam clearly did not get the memo that he was on a reality show so he was meant to cry.

The dessert was a success bar one, and this would not have been a problem if they had not eaten the first one that had been perfectly turned out!

Even though Luke was shown to be pissed off when the dud one was placed in front of him this was not reflected in the scores that NSW gave.

NSW gave them a six, as did WA and  Tasmania gave a 6, whilst Qld and SA scored them a five. This was a total of 28 out of 50.

Manu gave five for main, and a nine for dessert, with Pete giving them a five for entree, four for main, and eight for dessert. In the end they received a total of 64 which is not great but not a total disaster.

1 cuisinaire { 02.08.13 at 2:32 pm }

Check your facts. The “beauty queens” won their titles for Busselton not Bunbury. People really need to listen and observe before they make comment.

2 Bolders { 02.08.13 at 2:32 pm }

Georgie I think you know who baits the commentators here for fun.

Just my gut feel for the situation.

Then again my inspirated feeling could be wrong.

3 Georgie { 02.08.13 at 2:37 pm }

Bolders, my mum is a stickler for correct pronunciation and yet has some strange ways of saying things herself. Example – helicopter – she says heal-e-a-copter.

Your inspirated feeling is correct but sometimes I just can’t help being a smart-arse.

4 Littlepetal { 02.08.13 at 2:39 pm }

#47-Gay Sam?? You and your high and mighty opinions. You must have forgotten who were in the finals in Season 2 and 3.

5 Daisy { 02.08.13 at 2:58 pm }

Cuisinaire. They probably did listen but were responding to my comments that I know the Mum from Bunbury.I have seen a lot and I have spoken wiht her. The 2 places are v close. If the Mum was a lecturer at uni then if it was down south it means at Bunbury. Hence perhaps the confusion for those who might not know the area.

6 Daze { 02.08.13 at 3:09 pm }

Georgie @36 a couple that irk me
aks instead of ask
preform – no guys, it’s perform (even ‘noted’ judges use preform) arrrghh
I’m also sure I heard Pete Evans say something similar to ‘it could have been more exotical’ – didn’t know that was a word.

Jeremy @39, yes quite a resemblance

7 Gabby { 02.08.13 at 3:51 pm }

I wish I was perfect.

8 Daisy { 02.08.13 at 3:55 pm }

Gabby, lucky for you if you’re not. ^_^

9 Bolders { 02.08.13 at 3:56 pm }

Exoctical – ewww.

They should put a name this compulsion to end words with “cal” .

10 Gabby { 02.08.13 at 4:04 pm }

Cheers Daisy :)

11 Suziekue { 02.08.13 at 4:06 pm }

Oh and can we please keep it simple rather than simplistic! Simple is an uncomplicated word which means ‘straightforward, easy,’ as in a simple solution. Compare a simplistic solution, which is too easy, i.e. it oversimplifies and fails to deal with the complexities of the situation. Replacing “simple” with “simplistic” to describe your entree of two components, does not make you sound posh, Cougar woman!

12 Georgie { 02.08.13 at 4:06 pm }

Daze, how about Febry and libry.

Lol Suziekue, RIP the English language. I blame the text generation. My daughters laugh at my long hand texts.

13 Muststopwatching { 02.08.13 at 4:08 pm }

no.40 – As Mum said “:HAHAHA we wear the same clothes…”

Yes, dear, but they aren’t the same size!

On English language – I don’t think we can be too critical with queen bogan as PM with her talibands, hyperbowl, gunna, dungeon, wanna.

14 brain dead dave { 02.08.13 at 4:09 pm }

I couldn’t care less, cuisinaire. If that’s all you’ve got to comment on ,you might as well drop dead.

Ditto the gay and racism troll, Golo. Yawn.

15 Georgie { 02.08.13 at 4:15 pm }

Oh dear woe is me – I just checked the dictionary and it’s all one word, spelled ‘longhand’!

I’m going to fire my spell checker? Or is that spellchecker? Or maybe it’s spell-checker?

16 Georgie { 02.08.13 at 4:20 pm }

#63- or the PM in waiting who starts every sentence with “Aerh”.

17 LB { 02.08.13 at 4:23 pm }

Oh, Daisy @50 – what a thought!! If Little Miss Overblush gets to sit next to Manu, the poor man will have more than Activated Almonds (think I just threw up a bit in my mouth)
Bet Manu uses Pete like a shield throughout this season whenever High on Sugar is around.

18 Gabby { 02.08.13 at 4:24 pm }

That mother really wants to be thought of as her sister. Yeh, right as if. What a thing to say. Former beauty queens, mum still holding onto that tag some forty odd years after the event. Me thinks a bit desperate.

19 Daisy { 02.08.13 at 4:41 pm }

Muststop. Ditto on the PM’s slaughter of Aussie English.
I beloive shoi moit loik a trip to Foijoi. Wow when I teach phonics. I’ll have to remember when I hold up ee, ea etc that it’s pronounced oi. All like all vowel sounds lead to oi
cake =coik
like =loik
tree- troi
Still the new glasses moik moi want to toik her soiriously.

20 Daisy { 02.08.13 at 4:44 pm }

That blond girl looks like a big ball of fairy floss.

And LB I’ve been waiting for someone to say they had thrown up in their mouth. I thought they might have done it when Oedipus did his morning salute.

21 Muststopwatching { 02.08.13 at 4:45 pm }

Daisy at 69
She should keep the glasses in the dress up box.
Seriously when she was working as a solicitor, she used to make her staff say rhymes to teach them correct pronunciation. Oblivious.

22 brain dead dave { 02.08.13 at 4:48 pm }

Fuck you and the politics Muststopwanking.Take it to Piers Akermans where it belongs. It’s a reality tv website, after all and I couldn’t give a shit about your political views.

23 Anna { 02.08.13 at 4:49 pm }

Daisy, Miss Cupcake makes me think of Alice in Wonderland lol

24 Muststopwatching { 02.08.13 at 4:59 pm }

Hey, Brain Dead, the topics in the thread included ‘pronounciation’ – hence comments. Politics is everyday life. In any event, you don’t have to read them, keyboard warrior boy. You should do some exercise and lose that attitude, you craven coward.

25 Daisy { 02.08.13 at 5:13 pm }

Anna FFd Cup Cake to Bette Davis in “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

26 Anna { 02.08.13 at 5:21 pm }

Daisy, I found it funny that she started to hyperventilate when she saw Manu

27 LB { 02.08.13 at 5:32 pm }

Daisy, TBH, I missed Stefano’s morning glory & from what I’ve read, glad I did. Seeing him caressing that piece of (real) wood while Mrs Robinson kept him under her steely gaze was frightening enough. A girl can only take so much …

28 Morgan { 02.08.13 at 5:39 pm }

I wish Sam and Chris did better than they did last night, they’re by far the most likeable team we’ve seen so far. I’m aready hating the sausage guy from QLD (disappointed that I don’t like either teams from my home state this year), he really comes off as prententious when he’s only a bloody tradie for crying out loud.

29 Gabby { 02.08.13 at 5:48 pm }

What’s wrong with a bloody tradie? Do they have to behave a certain way?

30 A.P { 02.08.13 at 5:48 pm }

Daisy@75, loved that movie “Whatever Happened to baby Jane” and remember in Big Brother Layla had to force feed cupcakes to that blonde girl, what was her name? How soon we forget.
Morgan, I will pass judgement on the sausage guys until they cook, I’m hoping they do well for my home town.
Gabby, great minds think alike, nothing wrong with tradies.

31 Kaz { 02.08.13 at 7:08 pm }

Did anyone see yesterday on the MKR Facebook page yesterday?
They hadna picture os Stefano, next to ampicture of Manu, asking which accent got you ‘hot under the collar ‘. Is it just me or does Stefano look like Agro! No contest here, Manu all the way.

32 Reality Raver { 02.08.13 at 11:23 pm }

Kaz I am tempted to look

33 Tyroc { 02.08.13 at 11:44 pm }

I’ve been past Nic and Rocco’s desert bars, one in Norwood Parade and another in Westfield Tea Tree Plaza. They’re called ‘Nic and Rocco’. I always seem to go past the Norwood store either before they open or after they shut but the Tea Tree Plaza location is always bustling.

I see Rocco in the Tea Tree location all the time, the first time I noticed it open, one of the soldiers Dave (I think) was there with his family. It was packed with girls. My gf and I wanted to have a coffee and cake but couldn’t be bothered waiting for a table.

34 brain dead dave { 02.09.13 at 12:07 am }

I’m near the Norwood Nic and Rocco’s,which has been open for just a couple of months. Looks like Rocco’s Dad is there a lot, expect it will be quite busy in winter.

35 Littlepetal { 02.09.13 at 6:55 am }

Look like the boys are doing o.k. Glad that they follow their passions and have a go at it.

36 want to know { 03.07.13 at 2:11 pm }

what is sams last name???

37 Reality Raver { 03.07.13 at 2:23 pm }

want to know – it is Sam Newton

38 Gabby { 03.07.13 at 5:36 pm }

Is he related to Bert? When you have a look, he does look like him, a bit and he is from Melbourne.

39 zarli { 04.26.13 at 9:33 pm }

if u dont like them then f u bitch :/
nobody cares wat u like cunt