My Kitchen Rules – Maybe Lisa Is Not As Posh As Thought

It is no secret that some teams in My Kitchen Rules are not cooking in their own home. One of the most memorable examples of this was in season three where Steve and Helen could not work out how to turn on the stove and it was revealed they had been cooking in their brothers house where the kitchen had only been just been finished being renovated the night before.

It has now been revealed the super sleek kitchen Lisa and Stefano were cooking in was not their own, but not a friend or family’s but one the production company hired for them.

Sometimes the kitchens of the contestants are inappropriate or impractical for size of camera crew.

In the Herald Sun the producers were being coy about which teams are cooking in their own houses.

In the article an academic from Western Australia thought it was dishonest.

Dr Rob Cover, associate professor at the University of WA’s School of Social and Cultural Studies, said TV shows had a duty to be honest with their audience.

“It is disrespectful to reality TV audiences not to be upfront about sets and scripted dialogue,” he said. “Audiences are made up of intelligent people who are aware that reality TV is no more real than an episodic drama.”

Sure the audience might thing the cooks are a bit stupid when they can’t seem to find appliances, or ingredients in their pantry but I do think the academic is overstating the importance of disclosing this aspect of the making of a reality TV show.
My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN, Monday – Thursday at 7.30pm.

1 Muststopwatching { 02.10.13 at 9:02 pm }

And hopefully the sleek kitchen benches were well cleaned after being ‘christened’ by Lisa and Stefano.

2 A.P { 02.10.13 at 9:14 pm }

It doesn’t seem right to me because we should be seeing the contestants in their own kitchens ( its called MY kitchen rules.)
Why is is fair for the Producers to rent a house/kitchen for some contestants and not others?
Even if they have the daggiest, old fashioned kitchen ever, we need to see it , warts and all, otherwise, yes, it is dishonest.

3 Reality Raver { 02.10.13 at 9:36 pm }

AP – If this was the case they would have a hard time finding teams. As they also need to be able to bring in their own generators and control room and of course have a suitable dining room. This must be difficult to find as well as so many people have an open plan kitchen/dining these days. That is why you see the restaurants set up outside or a non-dining room.
It is the same issue with Come Dine With Me Australia though production is smaller so they do film in apartments.

4 Moonstruck { 02.10.13 at 10:01 pm }

Sorry but IMO they should say its not their kitchen or house. People commented on Stefano not knowing where ingredients were and the conclusion was that he did not really doing cooking at home,
The other reason is because it means that they don’t know how the oven behaves/cooks, which impacts on the food. Part of judging is the way the dinning room is set up and how the the atmosphere is.
Lastly it is “My Kitchen” rules not my brothers, the rented kitchen.
Now we will know that if they can’t find utensils it’s not their own kitchen.

5 brain dead dave { 02.10.13 at 10:59 pm }

Now called “Some Other Ba$tard’s Kitchen Rules”

6 Golo i Wesolo { 02.11.13 at 3:07 am }

Just add it to the list.

Most of us here have known about the dirty little tricks of reality TV for quite a while, but now casual viewers are beginning to pick up on the sly tactics as well. If everybody in Australia has “worked out” reality TV in a few years time, I’d be willing to bet this will signal a crisis in the genre and its popularity will wane very, very quickly.

Australians are so sick of lying from our politicians, so do we really need the added dishonesty when watching reality TV as well?

7 lizzielou { 02.11.13 at 8:10 am }

I thought it was a different kitchen that the one shown in earlier footage of the couple. The bedroom scene in the episode where Stefano was still in bed – was that even their house? I have no problems with people using houses/kitchens that aren’t their own, but a bit of transperancy would be nice.

8 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 8:21 am }

Lol bdd – SOBKR.

9 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 8:36 am }

“Australians are sick of lying…”?

According to G i Broom, the king of sweeping statements, Australians are sexist, racist, bullying degenerates, so I’m sure we can accommodate a few lies.

10 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 8:41 am }

I agree lizzielou – not everyone would have a home/kitchen suitable for the show but what’s wrong with telling us in the introduction.

11 JK { 02.11.13 at 9:08 am }

I suppose they do not want to disadvantage contestants to the show… perhaps they should change the show title to “I can cook in someone else’s kitchen, cos’ they rule”

12 A.P { 02.11.13 at 9:22 am }

I reckon their own kitchens could be used if they tried. In a MC challenge once, one of the teams had to cook in a random house where there wasn’t even a kitchen available and they used outdoor facilities and managed. Setting the restaurant up outside is fine. Maybe it could be called ” My Dream Kitchen Rules ”
BDD@5, good one!

13 brain dead dave { 02.11.13 at 9:27 am }

It’d be great if the producers could include one of those little Twitter captions along the lines of;

“These bogans didn’t have a kitchen big enough to swing a cat in, so this isn’t their kitchen at all.”

I suppose the top prize could be a new , adequate kitchen, installed by contestants from The Block.

Jerking off at that time of the morning can’t be good for you, Golo.

14 A.P { 02.11.13 at 9:30 am }

As Daisy said, he’s not here to make friends.

15 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 10:01 am }

I guess not everyone has a house – young singles would most likely be renting a unit or flat and a lot of those would be unsuitable, with no ‘outdoors’ available either. But like I said, why not tell us when the team is introduced.

16 Calliegirl { 02.11.13 at 11:08 am }

Dave – you never fail to give me a laugh. Made my day!!

17 drb123 { 02.11.13 at 11:17 am }

I’m doubtful the Melbourne boys are in their own place, also doubt the WA hipsters are living where their episode was set. With the Adelaide revelation, it feels like half the places are faked

18 brain dead dave { 02.11.13 at 11:22 am }

As always, thanks Calliegirl. Georgie and A.P., as well.

Why not do it all in one kitchen,same for everyone?

19 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 11:33 am }

That would create a level playing field for sure bdd, but then they’d have to call it My Kitchen Rules, Kitchen Rules.

20 Littlepetal { 02.11.13 at 11:53 am }

I also have the same thoughts. Every team cooks in the same house. They can decorate the dining room to reflect their themes. Fair playing field for everyone-

21 nanaliz { 02.11.13 at 11:57 am }

Hi guys, I just did an interesting exercise, trying to work out if my house would be suitable. It’s a reasonable size 2-storey house but the problems that RR mentioned would be a logistical nightmare. You would need to have all windows closed whilst filming so noise from gennie didn’t come through sound and as we are in tropics , could be very uncomfortable. Furniture would need removing etc and aircons would be too noisy. Think about your house and you would be amazed how many problems there could be. I suppose I could have a rainforest theme and organise our local cassowary to come and peck on the window during shooting. Should add a bit of atmosphere. Pity I’m not up to the cooking and no Coles in town.

22 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 12:03 pm }

Hi nanaliz – haven’t heard from you for a while. My house wouldn’t rate either for a whole lot of different reasons plus I’d have to tidy up. I shop IGA, Woolies and Coles, because I can never get all my favourite grocery items at one store. I cook pavlova and pizza (MCP topic) and have many specialties, but I’d never consider putting myself through the RTV mincer.

23 Reality Raver { 02.11.13 at 12:09 pm }

Nanaliz and Georgie – yep I would have to tidy up also. My issue is my dining table is in my kitchen. Production do come in and remove furniture swap rooms etc

24 nanaliz { 02.11.13 at 12:10 pm }

Hi Georgie, I have been lurking enjoying everyone’s discussions as usual.It’s an hours drive to our nearest Coles and I can cook but unlike some of the contestants, I know my limits and wouldn’t put myself through the mincer either.

25 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 12:14 pm }

nanaliz – the production team love the contestants to have a 2 hour round trip to the supermarket, it adds to the tension, so you can’t use that as an excuse. :-)

RR, maybe we could use the shortcomings of our homes to get production to fund an extension?

26 nanaliz { 02.11.13 at 12:18 pm }

Seeing how husband works at Woolies I could save them money getting staff discount. Whoops not a sponsor. Actually I have always wondered, do they give contestants a budget for food and decoration, cutlery, crockery etc?

27 nanaliz { 02.11.13 at 12:27 pm }

Extension wouldn’t even persuade me to enter RR and you and Georgie made me so guilty about untidy house I just got vac out. Pity about rest of mess.

28 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 12:27 pm }

That’s an interesting thought – a budget for the whole gig. That might explain why the contestants sometimes run out of things when they have a few mishaps. I always think “why didn’t you get 6 dozen eggs if you knew you needed 3 dozen”. Also, I often wonder why they haven’t got more of these things in the pantry/fridge if they’re cooking one of their specialties – provided they’re in their own kitchen that is.

29 nanaliz { 02.11.13 at 12:29 pm }

I don’t know whether you have noticed, when setting up the room they often take cutlery out of plastic sleeves.

30 Georgie { 02.11.13 at 12:39 pm }

No I hadn’t noticed that, but I had noticed wine glasses being taken out of cardboard packing boxes and thought eew, shouldn’t you at least wipe them out.

31 A.P { 02.11.13 at 1:16 pm }

I thought that too, Nanaliz, about the budget, is it the same for everyone? I mean, if someone was cooking with lobster compared to someone cooking with chicken for example, how would that work? It would be good if some of these rules were explained.

32 nanaliz { 02.11.13 at 1:42 pm }

AP to be fair it would have to be the same budget for all. As they don’t get final menu until night before they must have lists for each dish of what they need to buy and I suspect all tableware etc is hired with each couple choosing a particular style that fits with theme, menu(s) etc. Quite a lot to think about.

33 TMC { 02.11.13 at 2:03 pm }

can’t wait for the ep when someone cooking in a mates kitchen, looks for a mixing bowl and ends up finding a bong and a chop bowl

34 Groobs { 02.11.13 at 2:07 pm }

I also would like to know about the budget. have thought about thsi a lot. Do they ahve to buy tehir own decorations and booze too? Does anyone know?

35 Dr T { 02.11.13 at 2:11 pm }

Also revealed – those weren’t Stefano and Lisa’s dressing gowns… Au naturale is de rigor in their place usually

36 Bazzy { 02.11.13 at 4:28 pm }

The house is featured on the architects website but I can’t post the link. http://www.williamsburton.com.au – then you need to click through the menus – projects; residential; urban; new; then the first one – Toorak Gardens. I recognised that I’d seen the house in a magazine within the first couple of minutes of the show and thought it was ridiculous that they portrayed them getting out of bed etc as if they lived there. Also being from Adelaide I cannot for the life of me work out where they were driving as when they were supposed to be driving to Coles (there is actually one 2 minutes from Toorak Gardens) they were actually driving down North East Road which is on the opposite side of town!!

37 Lilian { 04.27.13 at 1:35 am }

Wanting to finish a retro style area at the moment, i’m still looking for a really bright red table however I can’t assume ikea has those!

my page :: Lilian

38 Dolores { 07.06.13 at 2:00 pm }

Actually delighted in reading this post but like the style of your
website, I do a little of web style things myself (really basic currently) so
its good accumulating some tips

Feel free to surf to my site: Dolores

39 Dennis { 08.02.13 at 7:14 pm }

I have no issue, if it is not their Kitchen, however the producers should not rent a place for the team, it should be for the teams to find a house that is big enough to serve their guests and is big enough for the staff. For me kitchen of a relative or a friend is the best second choice.

40 Online Content { 03.25.14 at 1:55 am }

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate!

He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

Have a look at my weblog Online Content

41 Fawn { 03.26.14 at 1:33 am }

Peculiar article, exactly what I needed.

my web blog :: Fawn

42 Ray2 { 03.26.14 at 2:10 am }

Who Cares A big load of crap all of you.

43 Celesta { 03.26.14 at 1:52 pm }

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what
all is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions
or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

My web-site Celesta

44 My Kitchen Rules (MKR) – why do producers script these shows? | The Weblog of Teresa Daniel { 04.24.14 at 10:52 am }

[…] time.  There are a number of different webpages that give you an idea of what the producers on shows do not tell you.  One of them being that the contestants submit a number of different menus and […]

45 shopping blog { 04.28.14 at 2:53 pm }

Hello there, I discovered your web site by means of Google while
looking for a comparable matter, your website came up, it
appears great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply became alert to your weblog thru Google, and
located that it is really informative. I’m gonna watch out
for brussels. I will appreciate in the event
you continue this in future. Many folks will likely be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

Also visit my page – shopping blog