My Kitchen Rules – Candice and Lisa Mix Up New York With New Jersey

Candice and Lisa kept on saying they were New York, but really with all their lycra, leopard print and over the top eye shadow they are more New Jersey.

Lisa also thinks they are “hip and funky” Really? Was she being ironic? It is like their whole concept of New York comes from a Harold Robbins novel.

Even the other teams were amused at the description. Joanna who is hard to please thought the colours of neon green and purple  were ’90’s. However Samuel from Tasmania thought it was more seventies. He must have got that from the age of the mannequins. Also if anyone can explain the concept  of what the mannequins were and how they fitted into the New York there is a prize I don’t know what it is, but there will be one….

With the mirrored place mats there were rubick’s cubes. Jenna declared “I’ve never been able to do them”.  Not surprising as the self taught cupcake artist does not seem all that sharp.

Their menu had many elements in all three courses. For entree they were serving Seafood Casserole with mussels, scallops, prawns, and Dhufish (is this jew fish in our politically correct times?), main was Pork with Pancetta Crackle, Vegetable Medley,  Onion Puree, Brandy Jus and Cider shots. For dessert they cooked Pumpkin Pie with Toffee Cashews and Banana Cream.

When Pete and Manu read the menu they must have thought they were in for a long night and they were. The time issue was not helped by them starting their cooking prep half an hour late, and also being the entertainment for their guests as well.

There were no real disasters in their prep, but they just had to much to do.

They started off well with the casserole, they managed to get the fat off their chicken stock which at one stage looked like it was swimming in it. Maybe they should have used sponsors Campbell’s stock and then the judges would not have been able to criticise it.

However there was nothing to criticise as Pete said it is subtle, clean and a delightful dish.

The main was a disaster as for some reason they thought the rule was you had to put on the plate what you said was on the menu. So they served overcooked beetroot as they did not want the vegetable medley turned into a duo.

Pete called the main a tragedy.His pork was over done. As was Manu’s and Dan’s, but Luke’s was under done and Joanna just thought hers looked tacky. Because she thinks she is a class act.

The dessert of Pumpkin Pie took two hours to reach the table, maybe if they had not done the flamenco it would have only been an hour and a half! A healthy self-esteem is good but this pair seem to think they are creative and talented, maybe in Busselton they are but the reality is much different.

Luke from NSW said the performance was blowing his mind as they were getting a dinner and show, though he probably would have preferred to get his dessert earlier.

After the main they had to soften the pastry, blind bake it, make the filling, the Cashew toffees and banana cream.

In the end they under cooked the pastry in the rush to get it onto the table.

However health nut Pete was horrified they had put banana essence in the cream,  “I think they make those essences out of chemicals!”. If Candice and Lisa were as hip as groovy as they said they were they would know Bondi hipsters only like chemicals if they can ingest it through their nose.

Joanna was having an issue with the real banana, saying she didn’t serve banana circles to her children. Of course she doesn’t she probably just peels it for them. She liked the dessert but was hoping the others did not.

The scores were pretty mediocre Vic a five, NSW a six, SA a six, Tas a six and Qld a four for a total of 27 out of 50.

For entree Pete gave them a nine, a three for main and said that was generous, and dessert was a three as well.

Manu gave them an eight for entree, a three for main, and dessert was a four. This gave them a total of 57 which places them on the bottom of the table. Expect to see them scoring low for the rest of the week.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN at 7.30pm Monday to Thursday.

1 A.P { 02.12.13 at 10:19 pm }

Yes BDD, that ad was shown here in Qld. Who are they supposed to be? Are they new contestants?
I thought it would be the Spice Girls for sure.

2 Reality Raver { 02.12.13 at 10:21 pm }

It’s like they are trolling the Far East for villains. Interesting all the villains this year are girls, except for Jake of course.

3 Anna { 02.12.13 at 10:24 pm }

Dave, the ad went to air in Sydney. The one if the gate crashes said ‘even her dogs eat better then that’

Would love to know where they find these people

4 Littlepetal { 02.12.13 at 10:26 pm }

RR – Lisa and Candice are not from the Far East

5 Reality Raver { 02.12.13 at 10:31 pm }

Anna – they are from the Far West…

6 Anna { 02.12.13 at 11:00 pm }

I hope Lisa stops singing!!

Had to laugh when Lisa & Candice kept on says ‘ we can do better’ …. If you can then why didn’t you???

Needed a laugh tonight & Team Delusional from WA provided it for the second night in a row

7 Marie { 02.12.13 at 11:03 pm }

Argh, watching in W.A. and can’t get a clear image or sound. Have been having this problem a lot with channel 7 lately. Anyway, disappointing as I am missing out on all the drama tonight.

8 Reality Raver { 02.12.13 at 11:08 pm }

Marie that is no good, can you watch it online tomorrow?

9 Marie { 02.12.13 at 11:16 pm }

I will probably just read your write up and the comments. I might possibly watch online on the weekend though, if I feel like catching up. That is a good idea, thanks. :)

10 brain dead dave { 02.12.13 at 11:46 pm }

Just been to the service station and browsing through TV Weak and No Idea, sadly without my reading classes. But I gleaned that about MKR:

*Tassie Pops is getting pissed off with Craig (of Craig and Kerrie) bragging about his wealth.
*on screen romance in the air
*Beauty Queens have been dubbed “The Witches”

Noticed Manu giving Goanna a sly wink tonight.

11 Anna { 02.13.13 at 12:10 am }

Dave, on screen romance ? This year they are all suffering from ‘love & worship thyself curse’

12 Gabby { 02.13.13 at 8:57 am }

I cannot believe the MOTHER AND DAUGHTER not to be confused with sisters, showed up dressed the same again! I don’t know who has the problem, the mum or the daughter. At first I thought it was the mum, but then I am thinking what daughter would want her mum to dress the same, I know my daughter wouldn’t. Maybe the daughter has idol worship.
Good one RR! They do dress like the New Jersey ladies!

13 Reality Raver { 02.13.13 at 9:20 am }

Gabby – I reckon they were told to dress that way.

Recap coming just finishing it now.

14 drb123 { 02.13.13 at 9:25 am }

I haven’t been as creeped out by the closeness of a mother and daughter since Dawn Fraser and Dawn Lorraine

15 Gabby { 02.13.13 at 9:49 am }

RR, Really, do you think they were told to dress the same in every episode? Is that supposed to be their gimmick? Not all the other teams have gimmicks though. I don’t get it.

16 Gabby { 02.13.13 at 9:52 am }

Haha drb123, I love it Dawnie and Dawn Lorraine, beauty. They were and still are creepy. I’m still smiling at your comment.

17 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 10:28 am }

BDD-Now I have to duck to Coles to read the gossips. I have also read in previous issue that one of the spice girls can’t stand Craig. We have to read all this with a pinch of salt. I am sure it is in their contracts that control what they can say or even to say what the producers want them to say. They have to do promotion and they also have to sign the confidentiality agreement.

18 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 10:36 am }

Does MKR have a new formula with the villains?
First Jessi and Biswa hamming it up. Now Lisa and (can I use it Dave, it’s too good?) Candyarse.
Was I the first one here not to believe in Father Christmas?
I’m not so trusting that we aren’t being played here.

19 Reality Raver { 02.13.13 at 10:38 am }

Gabby – unless they thought of the gimmick themselves…

drb123 – LOL re: Dawn.

Bolders – you win mannequin competition. Send me your address to realityravings@hotmail.com and I will send you something tacky. I don’t suppose you are interested in the DVD of the first season of Real Housewives of Orange County? No I thought not.

Recap now up on new thread

20 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 10:40 am }

At least Golo will be happy that they’re starting to cop their share of bagging. It might end up worse because the Mum sings and Candy has laser eyes that can sever flesh.

21 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 10:46 am }

MY theory: I think Thomas was real, and they got such a response that they decided to contrive a bit of villainy for this season. The WA ladies being show ponies agreed, as did J&B.
I think Alice and the Queen of hearts would have made better villains because they are very annoying and I don’t think that they are acting.

22 Gabby { 02.13.13 at 12:23 pm }

RR, as long as they don’t do it in normal every day life, then they would really have a problem.

23 SolidSnake { 02.13.13 at 8:50 pm }

Their lucky they judge beauty contests on beauty, they’d be screwed if it where to be based on intellect.

24 Suzi { 02.15.13 at 9:42 am }

Candice and Lisa remind me of the characters in the film The Witches,I am waiting for the big reveal when they remove the masks!

25 Pete { 02.16.13 at 10:13 pm }

Who ever said ‘it’s all about me’ when there are two them. Will have to rename the show ‘it’s all about them’. I think they need the reality check and realise that they have been set up. BTW – which backwater were they supposedly beauty queens – guess there are slim pickings.

26 Daisy { 02.16.13 at 10:33 pm }

Fountain Lakes, WA Pete. Fountain Lakes.

27 Daisy { 02.16.13 at 10:38 pm }

Actually Busselton has a few trendies and retirees and some really rich people too. There’s a few of the old seventies surfer crowd, although most of these are a bit further south.
Bunbury has way more bogans.