Masterchef: The Professionals – The Mystery Box or Was It A Compost Box?

It would be interesting to see of the behind the scenes interactions between the cheftestants as it was hinted last night that some of the more experienced chefs are not enamoured by the younger ones. I suspect it is Cassie they are saying this about as she has been showered with praise and has had a “podium” finish quite a few times.

The mystery box challenge was certainly a good one, as it was more like a compost box with what looked like leftovers, like prawn and fish head, and vegetable scrapings.

Sarah said the difficulty of the box meant you had to use your brain and then hinted that is one thing which is lacking in some contestants.

Rhett also hinted where he thought he was on the contestant’s food chain when he said “I am hoping some of the younger guys and girls get a hiding on this one. This is a real chefs challenge”. Ironically it was two of the “real chefs” that ended up being bottom two.

It certainly challenged their talents and creativity and they had to produce an edible dish in 60 minutes. Clearly there were basic pantry items they could use quite a few contestants made pasta. In fact it was a clever thing to do as most who did pasta produced a good dish like Nathan, Rhys and Bonnie.

Unfortunately for Cameron this was not the case. He even said he had worked in a restaurant where the head chef did not toss out anything and staff meals were made out of the scraps. However his ravioli with prawn bisque was not liked by the judges. Marco said the pasta was undercooked and the filling overcooked. It looked pretty ordinary on the plate as well.

Cassie had no idea what to do and did little bits and pieces on the plate in her high end dining presentation style. Matt Preston said there was no heart in the plate. Marco said it was the worse dish she had presented to them. She wept.

Michael who had been confident about his dish was savaged about the texture and taste of his sausage.

Whereas Rhett was told he had produced a Michelin star dish, with his fish soup and it did look good. Coop also redeemed himself from the previous challenge where he had plated up pizza pavlova he served a soup with parmesan balls, he was told it was the best dish he had served up.

Marco also confirmed that a dish can be more about the back story than the actual cooking when he critiqued Luke’s dish. He made Pil Pil which was a spanish dish and Luke told his back story of how they had moved to Spain for six years when he was eleven and they were broke and had to get the scraps at the back of restaurants. It was interesting and I would like to know more about why they moved there, he had mentioned a step father, and how this impacted on his life. Hopefully this backstory will continue to be told in future episodes.

Sarah, who is doing her cooking reputation no harm by being on the the show, did a twist of pie and sauce which the judges thought was genius.

The top three were Sarah, Rhett and Nathan, who had his first time on the podium, with Rhett winning his second challenge again showing he is a front runner.

He was chuffed about the win not that he showed it as he deadpanned “I feel a million bucks”.

This time there was a bottom four of Cassie, Michael, Nick and Cameron. Nick was told the banana aioli was in the top 10 of worst things Marco had ever tasted. However the rest of his dish was fine so  he was safe, as was Cassie. I suspect Cassie was safe because she has the runs on the board and because they don’t want another girl going home at this stage.

This leaves two of the alpha males, Michael and Cameron,  fighting it out for survival tonight. Cameron is not happy  he said “clearly we are not the two bottom chefs”.  He did not point out who he thought were. What will be interesting is they will be running a service all by themselves.

Masterchef: The Professionals on TEN, Sunday to Tuesday at 7.30pm.

1 Joseph Skyrim { 02.12.13 at 11:40 am }

So it -wasn’t- dead nazis in the box, but pretty close! May have missed some bits pingponging from the TV to the computer but I still have a list of highlights for this ep:

As the “cheftestants” (copyright of RR) were walking in a few were hoping for a mystery box. Careful of what you wish for, because there’s a large, burgundy suit wearing genie in the kitchen waiting for you!

Matt asks Cassie what she hopes is in the box. Cassie hopes it’s not offal or something equally gross. Matt then asks Rhett, who says he hopes its fish, or offal just to spite Cassie. WISH GRANTED.

Reaction shots upon opening the box. Michael says “It’s garbage,” hinting he’s going right into the elimination tomorrow.

60 minutes to turn the trash into something edible! Marco says “I want my lunch!” Yesterday he said he wanted his pavlova. Maybe there’s a drinking game to be had here (for those who drink), everytime Marco says “I want my…” take a swig. It may make the show more interesting for you. Especially on service challenges! 😛

Cassie is confused. Awesome. She’s still trying to be scientific… what?
Now I’m confused.

OMG Nathan managed to say one line to the camera! He exists! 😛

Marco subtley hinting to Michael that he doesn’t want to taste his sausage.

Luke making Marco laugh with his honesty, having been asked if he’s bit off more than he can chew his reply was “Probably chef, but we’ll see how it goes.”

Cameron telling the judges he knows what he’s doing because, you know, he’s Cameron. To be fair Rhett and Nick do the same thing.

Tasting time and Cassie is shot down by Marco who says “this is the worst plate you have brought us” -without even tasting it-. Ouch.

Michael talks up his dish, and probably stuck to his sausage idea just to shove it into Marco’s mouth. Marco isn’t pleased.

Michael returns to the group after seeing Cassie do the same earlier in tears and says “Yeah I’ll be in the bottom two…. with you (to Cassie)”. Holy hell dude. Way to make her feel better. 😛

Luke proves that a secret ingredient of backstory negates anything your dish tastes like, and automatically makes it fascinating.

Sarah, not getting if she’s being praised or not. I’ve noticed that she is a bit of a pouty face which is a shame, because like most people she is gorgeous when she smiles. Pity those smiles never last long. Also, of all the dishes tonight I would have only eaten her’s and Luke’s pil pil. Not a big fan of fish, much less fish head.

Cameron brings up his… dish… of… wtf dude. What did you do in 60 minutes? I know Preston is on a diet but sheesh!

Marco to Cameron: “There’s a difference between aldente and leather. This, is leather.” YOWZA.

Cameron to camera: “If Matt and Marco find something wrong with your dish, they tell you about it.” Yes Cameron. Especially if it’s obvious!

Top dogs, Nathan is there – his beard bristling with pride. Rhett takes out the main accolade though because he is very accustomed to handling beheaded animals and people. He is ecstatic. Well, I think he is. His facial expression, apart from his left eyebrow which raises sometimes, never changes. We suspect he moonlights as a serial killer.

Bottom three, Cassie, Michael and Nick. Cameron breathes a huge sigh of – WAIT – KARMA BULLET. And Cameron. Due to his miniscule leathery balls he is in elimination to go along with Michael’s mangled sausage. By their powers combined they saved Cassie, so she knows who to thank.

Tonight, Marco is going to bend them over and spank them on the pass infront of 120 people. That’s my current theory of how he made Gordon Ramsay cry anyway. 😛

2 Dr T { 02.12.13 at 11:42 am }

Brilliant episode… I thought the contents of the box were very clever

3 donae { 02.12.13 at 11:48 am }

None of them have worked for Peter Gilmour then, on a memorable
Masterchef episode he whittled the lettuce down to the core and used that for the dish; I guess the staff would have had a nice salad

4 Littlepetal { 02.12.13 at 12:09 pm }

I just realised I can be a brilliant cook. I just need to have a back story to go with my cooking. MPW say so.

I just heard the rating for last night episode is very low.

Out of the girls, Sarah is the quiet achiever. I don’t really like Cassie but she does know a thing or two about cooking. With a few more years of experience she will be very good. We still haven’t hear her back story so she is here to stay

5 Daisy { 02.12.13 at 12:24 pm }

First thought at the sight of the ingredients.
TomYum soup or any asian style fish soup.

When the said good restaurants use everything, I thought. “I wonder if the health dpt kknows”.

Poor Wags. That was a cruel twist. He must have started to get randy-faced and they wanted to wipe it off.

6 Littlepetal { 02.12.13 at 12:30 pm }

Daisy-there is another thing you need to try in Singapore. The fishhead noodles soup and the Soup Kambing (Goat meat soup)

7 LB { 02.12.13 at 1:18 pm }

I’d be interested to know real viewing figures. I watch The Block catch up at 11.30pm & MCP the next day at 11am. I’m guessing the figures are much higher than officially released.

Last night’s ep of MCP was great viewing – well done on posing that challenge, it certainly made the contestants work.

The more I see of MPW the more I like him.

8 annajjj { 02.12.13 at 1:21 pm }

Well done RR and Joseph and thank you both for the laugh. Miniscule leathery balls indeed!

9 brain dead dave { 02.12.13 at 1:36 pm }

Fun to read the recaps of RR and Joseph first, then watch the show.

Jowl$y looks like his suits are cut from horse blankets.

Marco eating off the end of a knife. Bad tv, $hine.

Looks like a nasty challenge tonight.

10 Littlepetal { 02.12.13 at 1:42 pm }

LB-I guess even if you add in the viewers that didn’t watch at the actual time slot, the different is still not to Channel 10 liking. Remember there will also be viewers watching MKR online or different timeslot.

Last night:

MKR – 1.8 million (from 5 metro cities)
Block – 1.137 million
MCP – must be less than 583 thousand as they didn’t make it to the top 20

11 Anna { 02.12.13 at 1:42 pm }

Loved the ending… Cameron is blowing up his ego & then hears his name called… He’s in the bottom 4

Even if he can cook his ego & the chip on his shoulders are bigger then he is.

Commercial kitchens don’t waste anything …. Fish heads, chicken fat all get used! Why did this mod have issues?

Rhett needs a kick as well. The ego is HUGE not as big as Cameron’s . Since Rhett works in a seafood restaurant he knows how to use fish etc . If his dish wasn’t upto par would have been a worry

12 Anna { 02.12.13 at 1:45 pm }

Littlepetal I’ve read somewhere that MCP is loosing regional audience. Apparently they are preferring to watch reality contests & wannabes pretend that they can cook

13 Dunbi { 02.12.13 at 1:53 pm }

Great episode, thoroughly enjoyed it. So much better than the re-inventions. Joseph – Rhett moonlighting as a serial killer! Thanks for the laugh. Cameron is very annoying.

14 Daisy { 02.12.13 at 1:54 pm }

Is Jowl$y looking more bloated than ever?
Marco is too affectatious for my liking. The pausing, the poncy had mannersisms. The artsy fartsy of the cooking world. Na!
I wouldn’t mind seeing Nigella bending over to examine Camerons dinner. I wonder if she’d get the same response that Marco elicits.

15 LB { 02.12.13 at 1:56 pm }

Littlepetal, you’re absolutely right re the figures. I’m just disappointed because I am enjoying MCP immensely. Much more than the amatooors.
It’s interesting as my twitter feed is full of MCP as it is going to air live & hardly any MKR – different demo to those watching, I guess.

16 Littlepetal { 02.12.13 at 1:56 pm }

Hopefully MC will have more audience. Maybe the audience can identify with the contestants in MKR and not the professionals on MCP. They are suppose to be professionals but some of them don’t cook like professionals.

17 Littlepetal { 02.12.13 at 2:00 pm }

Where is Paul? Maybe he can enlighten us with why MCP is not doing so well.

Agree that Marco is very nice. Leading up to the show, Channel Ten portrayed a very nasty Marco but he is just a darling.

18 brain dead dave { 02.12.13 at 2:44 pm }

I’ve seen a promo for tonight and it appears (though it may be concocted) that Cameron loses the plot and really yells at MPW to “Shut up!” I do mean yells. It’s pretty funny. The return glare he gets from MPW is priceless.

This is being touted as the challenge that “made Gordon Ramsay cry”

19 Joseph Skyrim { 02.12.13 at 3:03 pm }

Glad people are enjoying my highlights, even if they are just the coat tails of RR’s review. 😉

@Daisy (5) – Wags is a good name for Cameron!
@Daisy (14) – I don’t think anyone would mind seeing Nigella bending over… O_O!

Who do people want to win/lose tonight?

Michael seems to be a competent leader while Cameron makes for good TV. Seemed to me that in a preview piece to camera, Wags was looking verrrrrry red in the face though.

@BDD – whoa, I haven’t seen the promo but I hope it’s in the show. Also, you watch -after- reading the reviews? ;P

20 sue { 02.12.13 at 3:04 pm }

I would no tlike to eat any on of these dishes, did any else notice how some of the chefs Cameron in paticular rub there hands thru there sweaty hair then he picked up the dough and started kneeding it, I was nealry sick, have trouble thinking Matt preston would eat any of this food………..yuk

21 brain dead dave { 02.12.13 at 3:16 pm }

The way it rolls, I’m watching repeats of Ma$terchef:”Professionals” next day and live MKR , Joseph. I think it’s overkill to call them “Encores”

Relax, sue. Dr.T assures us that stomach acid will kill a lot Chef borne bacteria. I’m still nauseated by the contestants’ unsanitary habits , however.

Can’t the bacteria still get into the system via lesions in the mouth etc, Dr.T?

22 Dr T { 02.12.13 at 4:38 pm }

I’m not an infectious diseases expert, but that would make sense BDD. I don’t think the blowing the flower petals open is a huge deal, but the hands stuff is more worrying.

23 Daisy { 02.12.13 at 4:46 pm }

Little Petal@16 Ha ha. Now I just have to work out which contestants on this season’s MKR I identify with.

Joseph. It’s a toss up because Michael seems worthybut I’ll miss wags if he goes.

Joseph, because of your comments, I googled to see if you were a celeb writer or TV wit. Is the gamer blog you? Not cyber stalking, just curious.

24 Anna { 02.12.13 at 5:19 pm }

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/masterchef-slides-further-as-mkr-rules/story-e6frg996-1226575990675 Looks like Straya prefers to watch the show where people cannot cook, & just want to become reality tv starts.

25 Daisy { 02.12.13 at 5:50 pm }

Little Petal, my sister in law is from Singapore and she loves to eat the fish eyes. There are no fights with her over them.

26 wallah { 02.12.13 at 5:55 pm }

Fantastic episode, probably the best I’ve seen from the Master Chef franchise. It’s just a shame that the figures are low, I suppose people don’t like watching professionals do their thing. It’s refreshing to watch people ply their actual trade, knowing that when they finish the show they’ll still be doing it, rather than someone moaning about their law career getting in the way of their “food dream.”
It does seem Marco smells blood when Cameron’s around, his mannerisms indicate a Great White meeting an overconfident baby seal. He probably sees a lot of promise in him, and just wants it known that while he can cook, he’s got a long long way to go…..

27 Anna { 02.12.13 at 6:06 pm }

Tonights episode should be good… wonder who will break first Michael or Cameron.

Expecting Cameron to loose the plot, too young and too arrogant. Today they both have to create/prep & cook 360 pax. Wish I was there :-)

mmmm May be next year lol (a girl can dream)

28 Carole { 02.12.13 at 7:47 pm }

When Matt asked Cassie what she hoped was in the box, and she answered hopefully not offal, I thought oh it is way worse than that. You could see she was struggling with the whole challenge. I did feel sorry for her though when Matt said it was the worse dish she had done. But I couldn’t help thinking, what did you expect, you give them rubbish to cook with they will come up with rubbish.

As for Nick’s banana aioli, it sounded absolutely disgusting, although I am biased because I HATE bananas. When he was umming and ahing about putting banana in it, I was yelling at the TV DON’T PUT BANANA IN IT!!!!! Then after the judges hated it, says what was I thinking? Yeah, I don’t know, what were you thinking?

I really liked Luke’s back story too, and he seemed to put a lot of effort into his dish, so I was hoping they would like it. I was glad when he got through.

All the pasta dishes looked good. But Matt’s comment to Cameron, that his pasta would make an Italian mama cry, made me laugh. It’s a shame it didn’t taste any good as it looked and sounded really nice. But he jumped the gun a bit and was breathing a sigh of relief that he had been spared, when BAM his name was called out.

Tonight’s show should be interesting, finally finding out what made Gordon Ramsay cry. Really looking forward to seeing Cameron yell at Marco to shut up, they just played the promo now. I’ve been wanting to see someone yell at him to shut up since it started.

29 MasterRatings Loser { 02.13.13 at 2:55 am }

Wow… young Gordon Ramsay leaves the MCP kitchen as he loses out because cooking his meat rare/medium rare and having it sent back by the diners is a no no?!
Fuck me!
Seriously MPW and MP are you for f@#king real?

On MasterCrap it is always well known that meat is served medium/medium rare… but, we all know that in the real world where other people eat meat they may actually like it medium/medium well done…. so it is and diners/eaters will complain/send the dish/meat back… Okay.
Now… the Chef has several options: Do nothing, cook the meat more/less or tell the diner ‘this is how this dish/meat is served and if you don’t like it, order something else or go away and eat elsewhere’.
Simple.
The judges berate the contestants if their meat is not medium/medium rare. So contestants cook it the judges/fine dining industry way only to have mock diners set up for a cooking challenge complain… and the judges dump on them.

What would have MPW done in his heyday as an award winning Chef?
He would have told the diners that this is how the meat should be cooked and for them to bugger off.
But here on MasterCrap as a paid celebrity/hooker he sides with the mock customers and dumps on the contestant.
Marco Pierre White you are a has been.
Today, the shoe is on the other foot and I’m sure it is Gordon Ramsay who would make you cry, not the other way around.

30 Golo i Wesolo { 02.13.13 at 5:23 am }

Is that you Gordon Ramsay?

31 brain dead dave { 02.13.13 at 5:42 am }

Is that you, bigoted troll?

32 Izobel2 { 02.13.13 at 1:39 pm }

Finally watched this ep.
Best episode of the season IMO.
Loved how we got to see all of the dishes.
I too was noticing sweat and hair flying everywhere!
I never watch MCP live, I tape everything. It deserves better ratings.
Haven’t seen last night’s ep yet but hoping that Cameron sticks around as he’s entertaining.

On a different note I finished watching Next Step Hollywood on ABC (the one you told me about RR…) I totally enjoyed it. Showed a side of TV I’d never thought about before.

33 Georgie { 02.16.13 at 9:39 pm }

Just watched the encore of this. Jowlsy must have had some new clothes tailored because his suit fitted better – not so tight. It’s bright red though. He looks like he’s just stepped off an Eliot Ness film set.

34 maddy { 03.03.13 at 9:58 pm }

Thank you so very much for recapping these eps! I couldn’t for the life of me remember the disaster dish of banana aioli from Nick and was trying to tell my mum judt how bad it was but it wasn’t helpful not knowing just WHAT was so bad! Keep up the great work, thanks again :(

35 maddy { 03.03.13 at 9:59 pm }

Thank you so very much for recapping these eps! I couldn’t for the life of me remember the disaster dish of banana aioli from Nick and was trying to tell my mum just how bad it was but it wasn’t helpful not knowing just WHAT was so bad! Keep up the great work, thanks again :(