Masterchef: The Professionals – An Alpha Male Goes Do You Agree With Who It Was?

Four season of Masterchef Australia, two of Junior Masterchef and one season of Celebrity Masterchef and finally someone has told the peanut gallery to shut up. Β For that reason alone Cameron should have been safe last night.

It was the two alpha males Michael and Cameron fighting it out for survival with a service challenge where they have to serve 120 diners a three course meal.

What was interesting was the decision was not decided by the vote as it has been previously when it has been a team challenge, this time it was decided by Marco Pierre White and Matt Preston who would be going home. Did they take diners views into account?

Marco when he told them the challenge said it would be all about strategy as he was wanting three plates each minute whilst service was on. As Cameron quipped “Faster than MacDonalds”.

Cameron’s strategy was about keeping it simple so it would be easy and quick to serve. He did a crab salad, followed by roast sirloin steak, and a pannacotta for dessert. Whilst Michael went for more sophisticated dishes and plating. He made a prawn thai salad, followed by lamb rump with celeriac puree and pickled beetroot, and dessert was deconstructed lemon meringue pie.

Michael is a machine, he was chopping serving and moving so fast by the end of service he must have felt like he had run a marathon. His skills were phenomenal.

In the end Michael’s strategy was the stronger as he was not penalised for not getting his plates up as quickly as Cameron’s, nor that he was assisted getting his desserts out. His food was deemed to be better.

The food critics tasting with Matt Preston were Dani Valent who writes reviews for The Age, and Natalie O’Brien the head of the Melbourne Food and Wine Show.

Matt liked the freshness of the prawns in the entree, Dani thought there needed to be more beetroot with the main. In fact there needed to be more vegetables with both mains.

There was some discussion from the judges about how it would not go down well with all the diners that it was served medium rare. Matt Preston must have forgotten that the previous week Jacque Reymond had served rare wallaby and the diners comprehensively voted it a winner.

As Cameron was getting cocky about waiting around for Michael to get his desserts out, the smile was wiped from his face as a steak was sent back from a diner because it was too rare. There was more care going into Michael’s food, whereas Cameron was treating it as a banquet/wedding meal just banging it out to get it over and done with.

Cameron did kindly end up giving Michael assistance with his deconstructed Lemon Meringue. Seriously what is deconstructed? Just the ingredients of a dish laid out individually on a dish, this fad needs to die and fast.

In the end Cameron was eliminated to head off to New York to try and obtain work in a Michelin starred restaurant with his dream of having his own fine dining restaurant still alive. Cameron talked a big game but unfortunately was not consistent in his delivery.

Masterchef: The Professionals on TEN on Sunday to Tuesday nights at 7.30pm

1 Joseph Skyrim { 02.13.13 at 1:14 pm }

I was actually sad to see him go, but I think it was still the right call at the end as Michael’s dishes were deemed better, though not sure about strategy being stronger. Highlights for me:

Good editing! I didn’t know who was going up until Preston was tasting the dishes.

Marco: “Good strategy can compensate for lack of talent but good talent can’t compensate for lack of strategy.” This is true, but obviously wags (Cameron) forgot that good food always beats not as good food too. Also, Michael proved Marco’s saying wrong for me. See below.

Rhett: When Cam’s on the money he’s a dangerous chef. When Michael’s not running around like a mad man, he’s just as good.

It’s go time! Man those two guys are moving like crazy. Cameron’s strategy for me is actually -better- than Mike’s for the entree and dessert. Anything “cut to order” is going to be problematic.

Mike on the other hand had good strategy for his mains, but had so much stuff to do for his entree and dessert. Fortunately for him wags stuffed the flavours of his entree because his dessert lost out to Cams ingenious glass thingy.

I don’t get why they didn’t just ask Marco what he thought after telling him their menus. The man right away pointed out to Matt which ones were going to work well and which were gonna be problems.

Cam (on the peanut gallery): “Are they helping or just being annoying?”

Cam (in response to peanut gallery): “SHUT UP COOP!”
Coop: *sad face*
Rhett to camera: Yeah, I know what Cam is like (that’s why I’m not gonna shout out like an idiot). πŸ˜›

This is almost immediately followed by sneaky Nathan with hand over mouth to make him sound like someone else yelling advice. Wags furiously turns around to yell at… um… he gives up. Like us, he’s probably rarely heard Nathan speak. πŸ˜›

“Faster than McDonald’s” indeed. Btw RR that’s a great pic you have up there. ^_^

Cam (waiting for Mike’s dessert): “Would you like a cup of tea?”
Marco: “We don’t have time for that.”
Cam: “Yeah, I was just… nevermind”. (joke fail)

Cam asking Marco if he could help Mike. Finally. YAY.

Had wags’ crab entree been rocking it could have easily been Mike going home I think, despite some plates of meat coming back. Alas this wasn’t the case so we farewell our resident Gordon Ramsay.

Me: *sad face* :(

Last little musing: That professional kitchen was a good move for MC. They probably have their contestants holed up in some random hotel too which means, no renting expensive property “mc house” AND no cooking in other people’s restaurants (which obviously costs them some $ I would think)

Next week, they cheftestants are cooking in a forest using only fire. Will they burn down half the state? Will Cassie still try do her scientific stuff? Will it matter since it’s a team challenge? And for horror fans, Matt Preston is dressed up like a cowboy. o_o

2 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 1:19 pm }

They both did a good job. If it has been Cassie, she will be in tears. Her forte is presentation with lots of elements on the plate.

Maybe that is why she was safe in the previous challednge. The judges knew beforehand the format for this challenge.

3 Reality Raver { 02.13.13 at 1:36 pm }

Joseph – thanks again for your eagle eyes.

Littlepetal – Good point, Cassie would have crumbled on this one. Better TV to have to alphas go head to head.

4 brain dead dave { 02.13.13 at 1:39 pm }

The”squeakiness” of the prawns. Lay off the B.S. , Jowl$y. He’s a food snob and a food slob.

5 sittingbison { 02.13.13 at 1:52 pm }

had to laugh at the “sqeaky prawns they are deliciously fresh” comment from Jowl$y given they were pre-cooked.

Agree the result the day before was rigged, there is no way Golden Fingers Cassie could have coped with that service.

Camerons steak was so rare it was blue. Even whispering the word “medium” under the breath was hilarious. His crab entre was milky and mushy because like the prawns it too was pre-cooked. Yuck.

6 Danielle { 02.13.13 at 1:54 pm }

Good episode! MCP has gotten really good now that we know the contestants better and there are less tears. It’s incredible seeing the professionals doing challenges amateurs can’t do.
The ad made it out that Cameron yelled at Marco but he yelled at Coop. See Coop is not perfect he shouldn’t automatically win because of his daughter.
I loved the mystery box because you got to see all their dishes even if it was mostly soups and pastas. It’s no wonder Nathan has only one groupie since he hasn’t been on the show much.

7 Anna { 02.13.13 at 2:11 pm }

MCP is the best to date.

Marco told Cameron that meat is too rare prior to service. He warned him that it might cost him…

What took Cam so long to ask if Mike needs a hand?

8 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 2:35 pm }

Gordon looks about 15 yo in the first picture!

9 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 3:35 pm }

Sorry little Petal. I just read once again you’ve beated us to the punch and had the same theory.

BDD @4 Agreed. This is Ustoia so I’m surprised that more BS radars aren’t on.

10 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 4:08 pm }

I sent this way back but experiencing some problems. I’ll try again.

I am wearing my sad face too, Joseph. Wags will be greatly missed. I think that it was Bonnie and Coop’s time to go but knowing they wouldn’t have coped producers put last night’s guys in. Little bit of supporting evidence….calling Coop and Bonnie the night before but sending them back.

11 Dunbi { 02.13.13 at 4:44 pm }

Another great episode. That was so hard for them, I thought they did a tremendous job. I was really hoping that they wouldn’t be able to choose between them and let them both stay.
Death to deconstruction (also to re-invention)

12 JK { 02.13.13 at 5:40 pm }

I’m glad Michael is safe for another week… he needs more air time damnit!

13 Anna { 02.13.13 at 5:40 pm }

Deconstruction is a trend, will be forgotten soon enough. For now I don’t mind it…

Had deconstructed tiramisu a few years ago. Was delicious

14 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 5:45 pm }

My daughter (in-law) makes green tea tiramusu. Yum.

15 brain dead dave { 02.13.13 at 5:45 pm }

Even Jowl$y was deconstructed last night~ he wasn’t wearing a cravat.

Chaffing problems ,perhaps?

16 Anna { 02.13.13 at 6:08 pm }

Jowl$y, is getting more pompous with each episode.

Some days I think that he has no clue what to say and just spews up BS

He doesn’t have an extensive knowledge of food. Why is he a judge on the food show. How the hell did he manage to write a cook book and get it published

17 Carole { 02.13.13 at 6:15 pm }

Did I miss something? I thought we were supposed to finally find out what made Gordon Ramsay cry. It was all over the promos. And those bloody promos really piss me off. They made it look like he yelled at Marco to shut up, but it was to Coop up in the gallery. I should have realised it though, they always trick us like that.

I thought it was against the law on MasterChef to have prawns or crab already cooked and shelled/peeled. But oh well, they made that bit easy this time. But they both ruined beautiful seafood by serving it as a salad and smothering them in mayonnaise. Yuk. I hate mayonnaise, but they seem to love it on this show.

I have to say, they are a bit hypocritical. They always go on about the meat being perfectly cooked when it is still practically raw, now they get penalised for it. It wasn’t the customers who were voting, so their viewpoint shouldn’t have been considered. It was way too raw for me, I would have sent it back too, but that’s the way they always cook meat on MasterChef. I agree, that they never seem to have enough vegetables with these dishes.

I much preferred Cameron’s pannacotta with the berries, than that ridiculous deconstructed lemon meringue pie. I agree, this fad is ridiculous and totally pointless.

I thought they both did very good, considering they had absolutely no help. They usually let them pick a few of the other contestants to help out. I thought it was really nice of Cameron to help out with the dessert, he really went up in my estimation for that.

18 brain dead dave { 02.13.13 at 7:03 pm }

I was sucker punched by the promo, too, Carole. $hine have got my arse in a sling.

19 Carole { 02.13.13 at 8:35 pm }

Yeah, we should know better BDD, but we still fall for it.

20 Reality Raver { 02.13.13 at 9:09 pm }

Daisy – sometime my spam catcher gobbles posts. If a comment disappears that is normally where it is. Email me and let me know and thanks.

21 Joseph Skyrim { 02.14.13 at 8:35 am }

@Anna (7) – I think Cam took long before offering to help because:
a) He was busy gloating
b) He wasn’t sure if he was allowed. He asked Marco first if you remember.
c) Michael didn’t want help. Marco asked him if he needed help and he said no. When Cam asked Marco, Marco’s reply was “If he needs it,” cleverly still putting the onus back on Mike.

The other line I forgot to include with my first post that I really liked was from Marco: “When this starts I’m going to be yelling at you. It’s nothing personal, it’s just service.” I dunno, I just liked it. :)

22 brain dead dave { 02.14.13 at 8:45 am }

Joseph, I think that’s a variation of Donald Trump’s:

“It’s nothing personal-it’s just business”

One of my favourites, too. it covers a multitude of sins.

Marco’s repetitions were at a high water mark. Up to 6x on some occasions, by my reckoning. Like a dysfunctional jukebox that needed a Fonzian thump.

23 Maz { 02.14.13 at 8:49 am }

That was an excelllent challenge. Marco was right. Whoever survived that would invoke fear into their competitors.

Glad someone finally told the peanut crowd to be quiet. Makes you wonder what the amatas put up with that the professionals won’t.

Hope they now don’t let themselves down by having a weak challenge in the finals.

24 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 4:05 pm }