My Kitchen Rules – Tassie Cooks And It Was Just As Mad As Wonderland

It was kind of Manu Feildel to remind us that My Kitchen Rules was indeed a cooking competition last night. Considering very few of the instant restaurants have  produced fabulous meals, and most of the  chatter has focused on the contestants rather than the food it was a timely reminder about the mission statement of the show.

It was Ali and Samuel’s turn to cook and I am not really buying the “just good friends” thing. It was all sweetie and darlings zinging back and forward between the pair. However once it was revealed he was friends with her ex-husband it explained why they have not turned up the heat on the relationship or indeed revealed it. Though she might want to stay well clear as his nickname for her is Mumma, and he just acts like a child it is a wonder she did not send him to the naughty corner at the supermarket.

The big scandal last night was Samuel using store bought curry paste for the entree of Spicy Thai Beef. Pete Evans told them it was cheating as the fundamental part of their dish was pre-made from a jar. Lisa and Candice was scandalised, as in happy they now had an excuse to give them a low score.

Ali had raised the issue a couple of time once at the supermarket when she mutter the words we were told about pre-made flavours and then in the kitchen when she said “tell me again why we are using it”. Samuel thought you cannot make a decent curry paste in an hour. Well at least by using it the diners did not have to wait hours for their meal.

Lisa and Candice are now hanging onto the competition by their fake nails, and will be doing their best to score low as possible to stay in. However everyone else seems to want them out. They are a tad deluded about their talents. Cannot cook and cannot sing, and you suspect someone will tell Lisa to shut up at some point. Maybe she thought she was auditioning for Australia’s Got Talent but filled out the wrong form.

Joanna from South Australia was loving putting the knife into her  she sniped “I think the dynamics they bring to the group is a bit negative and fake” . As if Joanna is a role model for positive thinking!

However the Western Australian pair think they are classier than the South Australian team due to Jenna’s mangling of english.

The Tassie team put on a Wonderland themed and lucky for Jenna she turned up dressed as Alice. However their menu was Thai based.

Entree was Thai Curry Beef Strips with a Mai Tai Granita, main was Pork Stuffed Squid Hood with Sweet Chilli Sauce, and dessert Thai-rifle.

After mis-firing on the entree they ended up having more stress when the gas on the stove ran out. Neither knew where a spare cylinder was (not their home I suspect), he grabbed one from the BBQ. She was in tears when she was serving as she did not like the look of the dish. At this point Candice thought Ali should toughen up.

And just when you thought no more madness could occur, Scott from NSW who has barely spoken starts rambling on about why he does not eat cephalopods like squid, cuttlefish, and octopus. It had something to do with they had three brains and he even showed that he had tattoos of them on his arm. Scott speak to someone that cares… oh maybe that might be George Calombaris who has now banned rabbit from his restaurant after meeting with a group who were concerned that rabbits were kept in cages. Clearly George did not have a pet rabbit in a hutch at home when he was young.

Actually Candice was amusing when she called him a squidarian. Clearly she thought it was a joke as well. He had no problem eating the pork that came with the squid and they are meant to be intelligent creatures as well.

However no one else had a problem with the main, except Lisa as she thought it needed more carbohydrate to bind it.  In fact she thought the whole meal needed more carbs as there were none in either the entree or the main. However there was not much in the WA’s team either with their Seafood Casserole and the only carbs with their pork main there were a few over cooked potatoes.

The South Australia girls liked the Thai-Rifle and it was a clever concept for dessert. Pete thought the flavours were there by the technique was lacking, and Lisa was happy there was rice in the dessert. For the record there was no rice in it.

Clearly the fact that pre-made curry sauce was used in the entree did not effect the scores of what the other teams gave them or maybe they did not care and they just want Lisa and Candice out. Something Joanne was not shy about saying. In fact they got the highest combined team score of 30 out of 50 and this was after only receiving a three from Western Australia. All other teams gave seven’s except for Queensland who scored them a six.

Lisa rationlised the high score saying “It makes you wonder if they gave them more mark because they see them as less threat”.

The judges savaged them on the entree but the rest of the meal was fairly generous.

Manu gave a three for entree, an eight for main, and a five for dessert.

Pete gave a two for entree, a nine for main, and a six for dessert. Tasmania are now second and second last on the score board on 63 points. They won’t be eliminated at this point of the competition.

Also the viewers got a sneak peek of the much promoted gate crashers. It looks like producers have been trawling the Far East communities for villains this year with these girls looking like they are going to be great reality TV. What is interesting that all the villains in this series so far have been female, well except for Jake of course.

My Kitchen Rules is on SEVEN Monday to Thursday at 7.30pm.

1 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 3:57 pm }

Emma, Hogan’s vegetarian is a good one for Indian or Sri Lankan. It is goes really well with meat or veg.
Brahmins’ have great Malay pastes in flat sachets. Try the beef rendang and any of the chicken curries.

2 Jason { 02.13.13 at 3:59 pm }

As for the “just good friends” scenario, I must be only the one who thought Samuel was gay.

3 Richard { 02.13.13 at 4:04 pm }

I would love to see a dinner with Spice Girls (NSW), Jenna & Joanna (SA), Lisa & Candace (WA), Jake & Elle (Qld) and gatecrashers

4 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 4:10 pm }

Richard – But who is doing the cooking? Maybe Thomas and Carla from last season.

5 Richard { 02.13.13 at 4:22 pm }

Littlepetal – brilliant idea!

6 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 4:39 pm }

53 and 54 – great ideas!
Can I add Mel and James from Tassie to the mix?

7 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 4:45 pm }

Yes, I forgot about Mel and James.

8 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 4:48 pm }

Why didn’t they have:
Sauteed magic mushroom
Stewed white rabbit
A hookah for afters ?

I would have liked to have shrunk Alice and the Red Queen.

Bruiser agree that Candyarse has an unfortunate permanent sneer that can’t be helped. Having the same make-up artist who did the witch in Walt Disney’s Sleeping hasn’t helped either.

9 Dunbi { 02.13.13 at 5:06 pm }

I think Dr. Evil and his friend should do the cooking.
Jason, that never entered my head but now I am thinking!

10 brain dead dave { 02.13.13 at 5:20 pm }

Dr Evil and KRudd…the appalling three hour wait for main. Individually topped and tailed beans.The dismal fail at mashing potatoes-Dr Evil’s signature dish.

Dr Evil the lawyer. “I’ve never lost a case!” “Karma’s a bitch!” etc

KRudd the burned out, out of touch Lecturer.

“We’ve never cooked for twelve before”

Ah, the memories!

11 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 5:25 pm }

BDD @ 60
Ha ha!

Well, they can just wait, we’re going at our own pace.
And Krudd, the praise sponge! (Thanks, Pete)
They were plain awful.

12 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 5:28 pm }

When Joanna was dishing out criticism to camera, did anyone else expect Jenna to come out and say ‘ You’re terrible, Joanna’.

13 Gabby { 02.13.13 at 6:41 pm }

I was thinking the same thing Jason, but no-one else said anything so I dropped it. But now, you have me thinking again, hmmm.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

14 Gabby { 02.13.13 at 6:45 pm }

Littlepetal you are right, the carbs for no. 1!
Wonder what she will sing tonight?

15 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 6:52 pm }

Oh yeah Jason! The ‘safe’ friend.
I think you might be right.

Here’s a thing. Notice when most of the ‘stir the pot’ comments the ‘villains’ say are given straight to camera, as opposed to being made in conversation. Are these elicited?

I don’t get people getting mad about cometitors’ joking. When I used to play pool in the old days part of the fun was teasing each other, especially when when we were winning.

16 Anna { 02.13.13 at 7:45 pm }

MKR has just started and matching outfits are doing my head in

17 A.P { 02.13.13 at 7:48 pm }

Not much more to add, I agree with everyone. The mumma thing with Sam and Ali was irritating, and the darlings too. Sam could be gay, its a possibility. Lisa can’t sing for peanuts.
I feel guilty for using curry paste, so bad!
No internet access all day til now, so annoying.

18 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 7:50 pm }

Anna, me too. PTs in undies !

19 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 7:57 pm }

Ali, freaking imploading stress bunny last night, is snickering about one of the Bondi boys appearing nervous. Is lack of self-awareness a prerequisite for conmpetition?

20 Anna { 02.13.13 at 8:17 pm }

Littlepetal, Dumbo is a dance instructor and she doesn’t eat fats ie oil and butter. What ???

21 Drb123 { 02.13.13 at 8:22 pm }

Same pattern but different dresses for mother daughter. Probably ran them up on the Janome

22 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 8:25 pm }

I hereby declare my besotedness for Jenna.

23 Reality Raver { 02.13.13 at 8:37 pm }

Richard – you are evil but I would definitely watch that episode. They would all give each other a zero

Muststopwathching – number 69 LOL I think you are right.

A.P – my commiserations

24 Muststopwatching { 02.13.13 at 8:42 pm }

Great job, boys!!!

25 Anna { 02.13.13 at 8:45 pm }

Drb123 different design BUT wait till tomorrow. Both a wearing yellow dresses with flower in their hair.

Clarisse has the bitchy look permanently on her face….

26 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 8:55 pm }

Those gate crashers look nasty. Are they cooking again in their homes? Can’t wait to see this pair of foul mouths

27 Anna { 02.13.13 at 9:14 pm }

They are arriving on Monday. This year the show is a joke… So far one couple out of 9 we’ve seen so far can cook.

Pathetic !

28 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 9:18 pm }

Follow MC. Its not about the cooking. Just drama, bad acting, crying and stupidity. Channel 7 will suffer in the long run.

29 Morgan { 02.13.13 at 9:52 pm }

Wow, it took us 9 episodes to finally get a team that can cook! Scott and Luke did a great job, even their main looked good to me, despite it’s faults. Has anyone scored four 10’s before? I know Nic & Rocco still have the highest score in MKR history but I can’t remember if they scored that many 10’s.

Why is the cast so untalented this year? They’ve gone for personalities and drama over cooking ability.

30 Littlepetal { 02.13.13 at 10:15 pm }

Morgan-Nic and Rocco only have two 10s from the judges and their total score was 95. Two 10s was the best before tonight.

31 misotto { 02.13.13 at 10:29 pm }

That middle-aged married couple from the A Group (forget their names) who feature in the “Finish” dishwashing liquid ad being shown every 5 minutes during MKR. I’m assuming that they got that gig because they won the contest. Why would the ad agency use losers. I haven’t seen any other contestants in ads. Is this the ultimate spoiler, do you think?

32 brain dead dave { 02.13.13 at 10:33 pm }

Craig and Kerrie? They can’t cook for shit.

They can’t win-unless- the other contestants die first.

33 Daisy { 02.13.13 at 10:36 pm }

Enjoying the sneak ‘preview’ listening to you guys.
Here’s a thought….not too many cook books or cooking careers will be kicked off from this lot.
Good to hear that those guys tonight can cook. I hope they aren’t the only ones. If I ONLY want to see catfights and cheese I could have watched Jersey SHore or whatever the Aussie version was called.

34 Morgan { 02.13.13 at 10:47 pm }

@ Misotto: I’m pretty sure they’re featured in that ad because they were the first team to cook. That ad was aired on the first night of the show. If Craig and Kerrie were to win I’d be really disappointed.

35 Suziekue { 02.13.13 at 10:54 pm }

Credibility Crisis!!! Why is it not ok to use bottled curry paste but perfectly acceptable to use Campbell’s stock in a box (which is pretty much tasteless salty swill anyway to half-serious cooks)?

36 Anna { 02.13.13 at 10:59 pm }

From the previews Manu is enjoying watching the new females being a pain … Sadly for MKR it’s down hill from here

What’s even sadder is that Strayan audience identifies with boganish behaviour & would rather watch that instead of professional chefs compete

37 Tyroc { 02.14.13 at 12:39 am }

I still can’t believe we had to wait this long to see people who could actually cook and legitimately compete against last season’s contestants.

If I were one of the ones who got ditched early last season, I’d be pretty miffed. Sam and Jillian, Andrew and Emma etc can outcook most of this current lot.

38 Marie { 02.14.13 at 12:44 am }

I still can’t get over the disaster the boys had where the lemon fell over on Candice’s plate. Lemon pieces falling over is actually illegal in 12 states in America such is the seriousness of the offense. The PTs should have been disqualified from the competition for such disgraceful negligence.

39 Pam of Perth { 02.14.13 at 1:22 am }

Can’t remember who is who of the two N.S.W. boys but has anyone noticed that the shorter on looks like Daniel Craig?

40 brain dead dave { 02.14.13 at 8:37 am }

Re the Bondi bluffers~ not really an episode of MKR but an ersatz trendy lifestyle show.

* No marathon trip to Coles, like other contestants
* ingredients that the average person will never use in their life
*transparent attempt to crawl up Pete’s ar$e-and it worked.
*a kitchen with all the atmosphere of a mortuary.

41 finnola { 02.17.13 at 3:52 pm }

I just have to ask… Am I the only one who finds this show quite depressing and frustrating?
Nobody can cook their meals properly – they are always a fail – except every now and then. The editing is so blatant for ‘nasty moments only’.
I thought I might get a few COOKING ideas from people selected who obviously would have been chosen because they could COOK!
Instead, I ended up watching a very negative and back-to-school type of bullying, bitching andfail, fail, fail cooking dishes.
Now they are adding some more screeching and unkind ‘outsiders’ so I’m off.
What also depresses me is that Australians seem to enjoy this very low standard and are watching it in droves.
I’m putting on my superior intelligent hat and saying to myself ‘Waste of brain time – read a good cook book instead.’
Just askin’ – is there anyone who feels the same… anyone … maybe one?

42 Reality Raver { 02.17.13 at 3:57 pm }

Finnola – are you watching Masterchef: the Professionals more about the cooking than the personalities.

43 Finnola { 02.17.13 at 7:11 pm }

Well… tried that too but SO GRIM! It’s cruel, and the way they line up beside their ‘workbenches’ hands behind their backs! WTF! How old are these people? Treated like naughty children, then as if they are doing something so SERIOUS. Then the silence as they walk slowly and carefully bearing a precious gift to two fat chefs! RR.. I like Food Safari at present .. they ccok, Maeve tastes, licks her lips, everyone laughs and I learnt how to make heavenly dishes. That’s all I ask. But not all that depressing silence, petty pickingand taking it all so seriously -all for Money and Ratings. That’s my rave!