Wes Carr Tries To Excise Australian Idol From His CV

Maybe Wes Carr needs to realise the reason he is not a big rock star is because of him not because he was on Australian Idol.

This week Wes Carr, who actually won the show, spoke about how he has turned his back on his reality TV fame and is now performing under the moniker of Buffalo Tales. He is now an independent (does this mean dumped by record label?) muso.

The thirty year old has not been emulate the success of some of the other Idol alumni like Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy, Ricki-Lee Coulter and even Stan Walker and appears to blame the show.

Whether this is true or not I am not sure, personally I think these shows give a performer a huge opportunity to gain a wide audience to connect with and sell music and perform to.

However this is what he told the Daily Telegraph:

AUSTRALIAN Idol Wes Carr is performing under an alias because he says the reality show ruined his name.

“People have a perception of Wes Carr. That’s not me,” he said.

“Ironically, I had to change my own name to release my own music.

“Meanwhile, I’ve got this Wes Carr thing hanging over my head that I have to kill off.

“I’m sick of that character. It is tainted.”

Carr, 30, who won Australian Idol five years ago, now performs as Buffalo Tales.

Carr’s Idol implosion happened on a flight to Nashville.

“That was the D-Day that ended it all,” he told Confidential. I had a huge anxiety attack on the plane. It was a nervous breakdown and I freaked out.

“I got out of my seat, walked up to the air steward and said: ‘How do I get off this plane fast?’

“That was the moment I learned that, if you keep being untruthful to yourself, you end up in trouble.”

He went home and retreated to Coffs Harbour with his girlfriend-now-wife, former Home And Away beauty Charlotte Gregg.

“I’d lost my way and my intention, which is to play music and be inspired by music,” Carr said.

“My passion had gone. The biggest part of me will always be a musician.

“But it felt like all that had been set aside so people could talk about my beard. It was stupid, trivial and bullshit.

“I was a puppet on the string, then all of a sudden they cut the strings when the next puppet comes along.”

Carr is rejuvenated as Buffalo Tales – an independent singer-songwriter calling the shots.

“Buffalo Tales is my way of saying ‘Wes Carr wasn’t me. Here I am now’,” he said.

At thirty years of age may Wes might have to realise he might not be able to make it as a working musician. If my memory serves me correctly prior to Idol he was gigging at the Robin Hood Hotel in Sydney. If he is lucky his fans will go and check out his stuff on YouTube. Also if you don’t like people talking about your beard shave it off!

1 Suziekue { 02.14.13 at 10:10 am }

You have to wonder what he was smoking when he came up with the name “Buffalo Tales”. Maybe he was hoping people would call him “Buff” for short.

2 brain dead dave { 02.14.13 at 10:26 am }

This is Mr “I’ve written five hundred songs”. Yeah, but he forgot to mention that they’re all crap.

He did nothing but mindless, tepid covers on Idol and was hailed as a superstar and asked to “Let’s do lunch when you’re in LA” by Chris Isaak.

He copped a $250,000 Artist Development Fund through Idol- but still is producing over emoted garbage.

Anyone who suffered watching the doomed ,rapidly axed soapie Out Of The Blue can see Charlie can’t act her way out of a paper bag and beyond getting her gear off for Alphonse Gangitano on Underbelly has done absolutely nothing of note.

Wes and Charlie were moronically hailed by the entertainment media as a “power couple” at the time. What happened to that?

No surprise he’s now producing Buffalo Turds. Please don’t come back to Adelaide, Wankin’ Wes.

I copped plenty for bagging him at the Daily Telegraph at the time but who’s sorry now?

3 joan { 02.14.13 at 10:28 am }

haha ungreatful bloke, he was always arrogant, it still shines through even now, he is trying to do a Matt Corby, sorry Wes, Buffalo, whatever, it won’t work.

4 chasingvegas { 02.14.13 at 10:36 am }

I’d like to know what his intentions were when he auditioned for idol in the first place? I’m sure he was aware of what he was getting himself into. Another idol winner joins the scrap heap..Kate DeAraugo, Natalie Gauci, Damien Leith, Stan Walker, Casey Donovan.

5 DDD { 02.14.13 at 10:37 am }

His type of music was never going to be supported by the music company, the main skill required by them is compliance. Matt Corby was smart to realise this early and go his own way. Wes should be thankful that Idol raised his profile enough that he can continue as a singer songwriter.

6 lisa - Lybliss { 02.14.13 at 10:39 am }

It’s a shame when someone who is given an amazing opportunity is so ungrateful for the gift. Now not only will he be answering questions about the scruff on his face, he’ll also look like a complete tool as he tries to explain why Buffalo was the winning choice. Another bit of fluff who wanted the fame but not the hard work that goes with it.

7 brain dead dave { 02.14.13 at 10:44 am }

He’s been dumped by Sony and Ian Moss. Who wants an untalented, unprofitable albatross around their necks?

Not to be confused with Buffalo -a fabulous Aussie band from the 70’s.They’d be rapt to be confused with this moron.

8 joan { 02.14.13 at 10:53 am }

Maybe he could duet with Altiyan? They both complain about winning talent shows, did someone hold a gun to heads to make them enter?

9 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 11:13 am }

Last night I got around to watching Rock around the Clock and the showcased the original Platters. I don’t know the name of the lead singer but his voice really was out of this world.

Limited as the plot was, there was some great talent in this movie.

10 Sad { 02.14.13 at 11:49 am }

Whatever Wes Carr is or isn’t doing, it has to be better than sitting around in his trackydaks spewing vitriol into a computer, getting pissed while on disability, and living in houso in SA.

11 brain dead dave { 02.14.13 at 12:08 pm }

I’m drinking coffee and wearing shorts for starters,”Sad”. Yawn. Fail for you.

12 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 12:16 pm }

Sad, It’s too hot for tracky dags.

But I wouldn’t mind sitting around in tracky daks. Cosy!

13 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 12:37 pm }

Am wearing daggy shorts and singlet, drinking milky coffee, slight cough, spewing nonsense.

14 Morgan { 02.14.13 at 1:43 pm }

Seems like Guy is the only Australian Idol winner to have not completely faded into oblivion after winning. Seriously, who even remembers Kate and Natalie?

15 A.P { 02.14.13 at 2:13 pm }

You should never bite the hand that feeds you is what I say. Who was that girl from Home and Away who did the same thing and goes off the deep end if anyone mentions her time on that show, Angel wasn’t it?

16 Sad { 02.14.13 at 2:28 pm }

Not quite on the piss. Yet. Three out of four ain’t bad.

17 brain dead dave { 02.14.13 at 3:00 pm }

I’m in SA. The rest is showcasing your ignorance.

18 Suziekue { 02.14.13 at 3:02 pm }

@ Sad – one out of three’s not bad. Sitting at the computer, definitely spitting vitriol. Not only at Buff et al but also regularly at the idiot Premier we have here who is deadset intent on taking the “beautiful one day, perfect the next” out of Queensland. Apart from that, retired and sucking on the super teat; don’t drink; and usually out of my jamas by ummmm ah emmmmm well, let’s say if I have to go out and mix it with the plebs, by 10am.

19 Trent { 02.14.13 at 3:14 pm }

I remember the season Wes was on Idol and he would walk onstage acting like he was Australias biggest rockstar!!! I always said during idol he was a complete try hard with a huge ego. The judges kept buttering him up.
I Knew it was just a matter of time his true colours would show. Untalented, unmarketable and unnapealing. Sorry Wes but the truth hurts!

20 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 3:19 pm }

Stark naked, drinking vodka neat and eating a chicken sandwhich.

One out of three ain’t bad.

21 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 3:32 pm }

Suziekue 18, sounds like you have a good rap there.

22 annajjj { 02.14.13 at 4:25 pm }

lol Daisy I think I love you

23 Daisy { 02.14.13 at 4:43 pm }

annajjj OK ….Is that ’cause you think I’m naked or because I make really good chicken sandwhiches????

BTW I’d check the contents if Suziekue ever tries to give you a sandwhich. She has strange ideas about acceptable fillings.
See MKR

24 annajjj { 02.14.13 at 8:33 pm }

Naked drinking vodka and eating a chicken sandwich sounds like a perfect Thursday. I’m copying your style.