My Kitchen Rules – The Domestic Goddesses Turn Into Heroes As They Know How To Cook

The viewers were given a bit of a red herring when it came Jenna and Joanna from South Australia. In the promos they came across as vacuous bitches but in fact apart from mangling the english language they seem quite nice. And who knows in the future maybe ‘inspirate’ will make it into the Macquarie Dictionary.

It was their turn to cook tonight and they ended up starting their prep forty five minutes late. It was unclear why it took them so long to do their shopping, and once they got home it took them forty-five minutes to dress up their restaurant J’Adore Pink. It was like Jenna was channelling  her wedding fantasies with lots of frou frou and a lollie buffet.

At least the food was not all pink. For entree it was rolled and stuffed garfish,  main it was home made Italian Sausage with Horseradish Mash, and dessert was Pistachio and Strawberry Mousse with crystalised rose petals.

Props has to go to Joanna who cooked the entree and main singlehandedly without getting stressed, and also having time to go and talk Jenna down from a ledge every hour or so and dry her tears.

Jenna was in a flap about her dessert but some of it was her own fault. First she put the egg whites on a still warm hot plate and cooked them, but why after she had done that she then mixed them with the rest of the ingredients was a mystery to me. She should have just whipped up more egg whites, instead she had to re-do the whole mousse. Then after completing a second batch she realised she had not made enough so then had to make more. Joanna was completely calm throughout this debacle even though she was doing most of the work. Jenna’s confidence in the kitchen was similar to Jennifer’s from last year.

However not sure whay she was shocked that there were so many bones in the garfish, she was hoping they would dissolve after they were cooked.

She need not have worried, Manu Feildel said there was not one bone in the fish and that she cooked it perfectly. Pete concurred and said it was the best that he had had in the competition. And to think it was not even organic!

When Candice heard the judges review she looked like she had choked on a fish bone before she had even had a mouthful. It did not take long before she found a real bone and was quite excited by her discovery as it meant she could whinge about it.

Lisa who looked down her nose, as only Busselton royalty, can said the main was like Sunday dinner at her place, though at her place you would get the Woolworth ones.  It would have been good if Dan had spoken up at that point about how sausages doen’t necessarily mean low end dining, but maybe he was to busy swallowing his pride that he was having to eat someone elses and not his own.

Interesting the only person to mention that the sausage looked like dog poo on a plate was Joanna. Manu thought the sausage was great but wanted sauce. Joanna responded that they don’t use sauce at home and they could not come up with a sauce to go with it. Pete disagreed said did not need a sauce but he did slam Jenna’s horseradish mash.

The sausage king gave the thumbs up to the sausage in fact he appeared to gush saying  he could not believe the flavours he was tasting.

Candice thought it was too fatty and complained about lack of horseradish in mash and the lack of sauce.

Jenna’s dessert was touch and go, it was not set and they put it back in the fridge. Not sure why she did not chuck it in the freezer for ten minutes to set it. Even though she thought the Dacquoise looked dodgy the judges loved it as did the other diners. Well nearly all – Candice was underwhelmed, but this time she probably had an excuse as Lisa and Candice did appear to have been given the two worst ones. There is no love lost between the domestic goddesses and the Busselton Beauty Queens.

Candice must have blocked out the judges comments as she said if everyone votes on the food they might be in with a chance to be safe.

In the end WA only gave them a four, but it did not matter as they scored a seven off Queenlsand, nines off Victoria and Tasmania, and an eight from NSW. Which gave them a total of 37 out of 50.

Manu gave a ten for their entree as did Pete , they had to as they were saying it was the best dish in the competition thus far. Which means all the other tens they gave out should have been nines.

Pete gave an eight for main and an six for main from Manu, and he only gave a seven for dessert whereas Pete was more generous and gave them a nine. They received a grand total of 87. If the Western Australian girls had scored honestly they may have knocked the NSW boys off the top of the leader board.

With this round of instant restaurants over the Busselton Beauty Queens were eliminated, and quite frankly I was not sorry to see them go.

However for three teams they are going to have to do the instant restaurants again. These were Lisa and Stefano, Dan and Steph, and Allie and Samuel this time against the gate crashers. Not sure about the fairness of taking the bottom three scores as one groups contestants may have marked harder than the other.

After all the talk about gatecrashers, Sophie and Ashlee, so it was good to see the others, particularly Angela and Melina from Melbourne who look like their style idols are Brynne Edelsten and the full cast of Real Housewives Beverley Hills. They will be cooking tomorrow night.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN Monday to Thursday at 7.30pm.

1 Christina { 02.19.13 at 12:05 am }

Ooo now I won’t be able to stop calling her Brynne 😉 The new contestants look a bit over the top, but if their entertaining and can cook well they may win me over. Not overly eager to see the Italian and (forget her name) cook again, but do hope the couple in love from Hervey Bay and the couple that should be in love but claim they aren’t do better, as hope they all make it into HQ.

2 Anna { 02.19.13 at 4:06 pm }

First and Second round had 2 bitchy teams and both got kicked off. Now in round 3 we have 2 bitchy team and a team where she wears the pants. NICE. What the hell are producers thinking????

Sadly viewers are loving bitchy people who cannot cook. 2.2 million viewers against MCP 500K

Last year I tuned out of MC since the tears were annoying me.. this year it might be MKR, the bitchiness is annoying the hell out of me

3 chasingvegas { 02.19.13 at 4:55 pm }

so glad to see the WA biatches gone! Lets just hope the producers don’t find away to bring either them or the spice girls back. The 3 gatecrashing teams look like bad TV waiting to happen. So, i’m just hoping they don’t ruin it for me. Did i see that one instant restaurant is called Asylum? Bet its the creepy WA couple. the other couple from VIC look like those “ladies” from 4 ingredients!! SAD…

4 donae { 02.19.13 at 5:11 pm }

we now have 3 teams we know and 3 new teams and what a coincidence,
there is one team from each state; what amazing forethought from the
producers.
great cooking from Joanna

5 Littlepetal { 02.19.13 at 5:16 pm }

I think the Vic barbie dolls will be nasty too. According to their bio, they will say what they think without holding back. They are Italians as well.

Very interesting that we still have one team from each state.

I think Joanna was great in the kitchen. Have to keep encouraging Jenna and to cook under pressure. I would have love to eat the entree.

6 A.P { 02.19.13 at 5:26 pm }

I read on one of the tweets that Jenna and Joanna look like a mini me version of Mel and Nat from Sunrise, they have a point there.
Jenna will have to toughen up if she is going to go to pieces everytime, after all, Joanna did most of the work.
Her dessert looked amazing and I loved the candy bar touch too.
Don’t know how these gatecrashers will work, it seems unfair on the other teams but will be interesting.

7 Needha Bumjab { 02.19.13 at 5:29 pm }

To be fair, only one of them appears vacuous, inarticulate and highly strung.

8 Reality raver { 02.19.13 at 5:30 pm }

Apologies about site crashing one of my worst nightmares coming true!

9 Izobel2 { 02.19.13 at 5:46 pm }

Don’t worry RR, it’s one of my worst nightmares too!!

10 Georgie { 02.19.13 at 5:55 pm }

I will admit to wanting to slap Jenna last night. The ‘poor pitiful me’ pouts during judging were pathetic and the meltdowns in the kitchen were just not helpful. Joanna is a good cook and kept her head while she pretty much managed the first two courses by herself. I hope she discards the fairyfloss after the show – she doesn’t need it.

11 Littlepetal { 02.19.13 at 5:56 pm }

I was itching to post and I can’t!. It sure was a nightmare

12 Morgan { 02.19.13 at 6:11 pm }

Overall Group 2 was a lot better. Apart from Lisa and Candice (and they were to an extent, entertaining), everyone was likeable and we at least got two talented teams out of it.

I have a hunch the Barbie Dolls from VIC will be the true nasties out of the gatecrashers. Remember, all the promos that were building up Jenna and Joanna as the villains of Group 2 and they turned out quite the opposite, whereas Lisa and Candice were completely under the radar.

13 Littlepetal { 02.19.13 at 6:31 pm }

I am with you, Morgan. Watch out for the Barbie dolls.

14 brain dead dave { 02.19.13 at 6:38 pm }

I’d be dreading finding the hair extensions in the food.

15 Gabby { 02.19.13 at 6:42 pm }

Georgia I am with you, I wanted to slap that hang dog look off Jenna’s face, I think it was all about gaining sympathy points. Hate to agree with Candice there, but she said it. Jenna needs to grow up. Joanne was brilliant. She brought the whole meal together. Jenna can cook deserts but if she didn’t have Joanne holding her up I am not sure what we would have had dished up for desert. She let Joanne down on the mash too. How hard could that have been for her to do? When I think of that woebegone look on her face it just makes me angry.

16 drb123 { 02.19.13 at 6:46 pm }

Well Joanna is a good cook, certainly has her work cut out doing the heavy lifting carrying Jenna. Sweet girl, good with a dessert, but Jenna seems incapable of dealing with pressure. Hope she works it out, but it doesn’t look like they’ll go far in the comp

17 Bruiser Brody { 02.19.13 at 7:03 pm }

real thoughts by contestants on Gatecrashers:
“What fn Freakshow Alley did they scrape youse from?”
not far wrong – was there one normal head amongst the lot of them?

And wtf is with “REAL” Housewives…I’m meant to draw the connection to US reality programs with similar vacuous entities?

18 brain dead dave { 02.19.13 at 7:19 pm }

Jenna is like a reincarnation of Clare Winton Burn with all the sobbing but she’ll soon be someone else’s problem because according to the No Idea I just browsed at the supermarket, she’s getting married. $ucked in,mate.

Ali from the Ali/Samuel team has apparently found love , too- but not with Samuel. There’s four solid pages of garbage about MKR in the current issue…but again I forgot to take my reading glasses.

19 Stacey { 02.19.13 at 7:25 pm }

Great ep last night! I’m already over the two Asian twits. Im over all of their selfish attitudes to be honest. When did people stop caring about others just because ‘we’re being ourselves?’

Joanna was fantastic and I agree RR, she reminds me of Jen with her confidence and level-headedness in the kitchen. A rare kind of woman.

Bring on tonight, I can’t wait to see the intruders cook. And whoever noticed the ‘Asylum’ restaurant, that is right up my alley for sure.

BDD- I read that article too. Was sad to hear about Hervey Bay teams struggles with IVF.

20 Dunbi { 02.19.13 at 7:35 pm }

Beautiful food but I could not cope with someone like Jenna in the kitchen.

21 Anna { 02.19.13 at 9:08 pm }

I’m already over team NSW & The couger … Score of 1? Seriously WT???

22 thots { 02.19.13 at 9:36 pm }

hey RR re your comment “When Candice heard the judges review she looked like she had choked on a fish bone before she had even had a mouthful. ”
Don’t you realise the Judges comments are shown out of sequence – the plates are presented, the Judges taste and then everyone eats and comments and then the contestants come back in and only then do the Judges say what they think – the camera work is pretty good but during the Judges talks you can often see all the plates have been eaten.

23 brain dead dave { 02.19.13 at 9:44 pm }

I know Jesus is supposed to return one day, but who would have thought it would be on My Kitchen Rules? And with Anna Meares as his partner.

Lisa is horrible. Pussywhipped $tefano has to toe the line or else.

24 Morgan { 02.19.13 at 9:55 pm }

Ugh, after tonight I’m Team Gatecrashers. Lisa is a grade A cow. The food didn’t look great but definitely did not deserve a 1 or 2. No matter how well the other Gatecrashers do Lisa & Stefano and Dan & Steph will not score fairly. At least Ali & Sam seem like they’ll be fair.

25 A.P { 02.19.13 at 9:58 pm }

Everyone thought the dessert tasted awful but it still looked pretty good to me.
Potato mash not so good.
Doesn’t look too good for Dan and Steph tomorrow night.

26 Littlepetal { 02.19.13 at 10:04 pm }

I thought the dessert looked very nice. Maybe there is too much going on with the taste.

Agree that the Barbie Dolls do not deserve a 1 or 2. Maybe a 5 . Let see whether the Barbie Dolls have integrity or not. I hope they are not like Jessie and Biswa or Lisa.

I guessed the Asian chicks must be referring to Lisa when they said the quiet ones were the worst.

27 Anna { 02.19.13 at 10:17 pm }

Of the team NSW has a crash on Pete. She doesn’t stand a chance with him, now or ever

He looked uncomfortable when he sat down & she was looking at him.

When will they learn??? Ugly personality does not make you attractive!!

They know it all!!! They cook yummy traditional food ( just like the Space Cadets)

28 Gabby { 02.19.13 at 10:44 pm }

Lisa has to go. Nasty lady. Looks like she will be scoring 1 every night. How can Stafano stand her?
Who cannot cook mashed potato? It seems a lot of MKR contestants.

29 Daisy { 02.19.13 at 10:56 pm }

I haven’t read allo f the comments yet and tonight’s ep has just started but I just want to join the other slappers, Gabby and Georgie. I’m not a fan of girls that stay babies, nor women squealing when they greet each other. Jenna did that stupid squealing that some women do when they rush to hug each other. (Check the guests’ arrival). And that pathetic hangdog sulky face. Grow up Jenna. You ain’t 6.
Off to watch the show.

30 Morgan { 02.19.13 at 11:05 pm }

It seems mashed potato seems to be MKR’s death dish, just like risotto is for MasterChef.

31 Daisy { 02.19.13 at 11:06 pm }

What’s with all these contestants swooning over Pete and Manu, and when will Jowlsy get lucky?

32 Littlepetal { 02.19.13 at 11:08 pm }

Daisy, he can only wish.

33 Daisy { 02.19.13 at 11:18 pm }

RR. I have been suffering withdrawals since you crashed.

Also Rolf said I missed you on ACA. Bummer.

34 Daisy { 02.19.13 at 11:21 pm }

I just told Rolf to upgrade our internet service to speed up my RR access. The for emphasis (and to show him I meant it) I finished with a Marco flourish of the hand. That should do it.

35 Maz { 02.19.13 at 11:34 pm }

BDD@23 Anna Mears and Jesus -LOL.

As to likening the Vic Real Housewives to a particular doll that’s just mean to Barbie. Seriously people, you are far to old to be squealing in a butcher because they have beef cheeks.

What is it with the hyperventilating females this year?

Here is yet another article bitching about the whiteness of RTV

36 Daisy { 02.19.13 at 11:43 pm }

BDD I wonder if Jesus will serve his last supper.

37 Maz { 02.20.13 at 12:09 am }

I wonder who will be Judas?

38 Littlepetal { 02.20.13 at 8:46 am }

Why didn’t they complained about whiteness when the public sent death threats to Joanne from MC or Mel ? What about the criticisms for Thomas or Dr Evil?

I am really sick of the double standards with some people. They want to know tow to the minority. OK for the majority but no no for the minority.

If Space girls and Asian girls didnt make those remarks, the producers won’t have the footage to air them.

39 Izobel2 { 02.20.13 at 9:50 am }

@37 – Totally agree with you Littlepetal… as always!

40 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 10:00 am }

recap will be up in 20 mins – sorry guys.

41 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 8:34 pm }

Where’s Muststop? No comment on his dream woman, Jenna?
Muststop, are you still in love?

42 A.P { 02.20.13 at 9:55 pm }

Don’t encourage him Daisy.