Masterchef: The Professionals – Cassie Got Shoved Onto Dessert Again

Big fan of Michael and Rhett, however Cassie should have told them to get stuffed when she was shunted onto dessert again. This was the second challenge in a row where she had to cook dessert. Also in a lot of the service challenges the girls have been put on desserts. It is is quite sexist. She said desserts were not her thing. As Michael said “even though she does not like desserts she is going to take one for the team”. Clearly Rhett and Michael were not prepared to make that sacrifice.

Rhett said he had been in every service elimination challenge which is not quite correct as he was not in last Tuesday’s one which was between Cameron and Michael. What he meant was he had been in the team that has lost every team challenge. He believes the green apron was cursed ala the blue apron on the amateur version of the show. Maybe they need to do an exorcism over them at the beginning of the season.

Rhys, Coop and Nick were in the red team. The theme tonight was perfection, with Marco saying “everything must be perfect”. They had to make dishes that had been prepared for them. For the red team it was Sixty Three Degree Egg with smoked potato puree, main was Confit of Ocean Trout, and dessert was a fancy Cheesecake.

Coop made the entree, Nick the main and Rhys did the dessert. If Cassie is a team player, Nick is not. For a second service challenge he has taken a long time on the fish and not had it prepped by main. At one point he was sniffing around Coop to see if he could help.

Also when service for the entree was occurring he was still doing his own main whilst Rhys and Coop had to serve up, whereas on the other team it was all hands on deck even though the other courses were not prepped. Needless to say he got great reviews for his dish, as he did in the other challenge where Kiah was eliminated because he had been helping him rather then prepping his dessert.

The green team had to make Seared Scallops with Celeriac, main was duck with sweet potato mash, and dessert was Black Forest Mousse.

Michael who is amazingly fast in prep, was told to take it a bit slower and to cut everything the same size as they will then cook all the same.

However it was Cassie that was struggling burning the caramel and having to redo it, and when Marco was giving  his perfection mantra, the chocolate mousse boiled over and burnt.

Marco told Rhett off for not julieanning the celeriac properly. Rhett said to camera he did not believe in that cut. He did not elaborate why. Maybe because it is precise?

During service it was Michael cooking the scallops for entree, with Rhett and Cassie plating, and for main it was Cassie cooking the duck. Maybe they thought presentation was more important then how it was cooked. Whereas on the other team Nick cooked the fish and the others plated.

Matt Preston’s egg was overcooked for his entree, also Michael who thought his duck was perfectly cooked was not done to Sarah and Bonny’s liking,  however the big disaster dish was the burnt taste of the mousse.

What was interesting was that Matt Preston said they had to wait a long time on their mains. It would have been interesting to know how long. The editing is trying to suggest the kitchen is a well oiled machine.

In the wrap up Marco told the chefs he thought it was the best food they had put out in the restaurant so far. Really over cooked egg, imperfect duck and burnt chocolate? Rhys’s cheesecake was the dish of the day.

It was no surprise that Cassie was flicked, Marco said he would write her a letter of recommendation and told her to find a chef to guide her and teach her philosophy. Who would that be? What frigging chefs in town are philosophy experts and how does it help your cooking skills? These are things we will never find out.

Anyway bad luck for Cassie as she did deserve to go for what she plated up tonight,  but was it  really fair to be dumped on desserts again?

1 Carole { 02.20.13 at 8:59 am }

I really felt for Cassie. Bloody Marco caused her to ruin the mousse. I was really getting pissed off at him last night. You could see while he was giving his ‘pep talk’ that the mousse was starting to boil over. Then he has the hide to go to her and say that it was a disaster. I was yelling at the TV, IT’S YOUR BLOODY FAULT!!!!!!! Then she had to help with the duck, which Michael told her was perfectly cooked. But the others didn’t think so. I was just waiting for Matt to find a bone in his fish, but miracles or miracles, he didn’t. That boning of fish, looks like a fiddly, time consuming pain in the arse thing to do.

I knew it would be the green team that had lost and that it would be Cassie that would go, because of the mousse and she got blamed for the duck too.

2 Littlepetal { 02.20.13 at 9:01 am }

Cassie will be a great chef with a few more years of experience. I don’t think she can manage with the entrée or the mains. They all worked like crazy. Rhys is the quiet achiever. He is very good with desserts. Can’t remember how he performed in previous cooking/challenges.

3 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 9:20 am }

Aside from the fact that I don’t like half raw meat or fish, I thought that the food looked pretty good. It’s gettin gmore interesting watching as the less capable cooks go. But I wish Wags was still in.

I thought Matt was channelling Peter Ustinov from Muder on the Nile in his pale camel suit.

I noticed 2 of the diners had caught Marco’s flourish and the O. When commenting the man made the O, the lady did the flourish.
I like the way Cassie left with dignity. She held it together and took her elimination like an adult that she is. It was refreshing after some of the chef babies like Jenna on MKR.

Although I like Nathan, his hair is bordering on disgusting. The top looked greasy last night and he needs to trim his beard. I don’t like beards that (and I’m going to be discreet here) look like arm pit hair. He needs smarten up the bush.

4 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 9:25 am }

It’s just my opinion that you don’t wear anything that resembles pubic hair on your face.

5 Anna { 02.20.13 at 9:51 am }

Was wondering last night if Oompa Lumpa has an off switch .

What was he thinking telling Chefs what it tastes like? Bonny has a better palate then he can ever dream of having

The more I see Luke the less I like him, comes off as a $uck up when dining with Jowl$y

6 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 10:11 am }

Agreed Anna, Luke is starting to exhibit a bit of weasel. I’ll wait and see a bit more.

7 Barney { 02.20.13 at 10:13 am }

It’s a bit rich to have Cassie leave before Bonnie, who couldn’t cook meringue, twice.

Am also missing Wags the dog.

8 Joseph Skyrim { 02.20.13 at 10:17 am }

Hey, good to see the site back in operation RR! Couldn’t get to it yesterday at all. Anywho it’s good that the chefs were back from the spectacularly beautiful yet fly infested mountains into the more sterile environment of the MC Kitchen.

The taste test yesterday was the “reward” for the winning team with Bonny showing she has the tounge of her group. Coop however failed in both taste and cooking rounds being distracted (gee I dunno by his sick kid maybe?) and now joined the mountain losers who I thought should have won. Pretty sure that was Cassie’s fault since her crumble crumbled.

Also caught Sarah calling Nathan “roomie” (which used to be Akuc) which means Shine are saving more money by slowly compressing the number of rented apartments as the cheftestants get eliminated.

On to this challenge, I’m growing a liking to Rhys being the laid back dude that he is – he did the best tonight. Marco made sure to tell him that too.

Rhett on the other hand was his usual stone-face. I caught him self-censoring himself when he was saying “Mr. Consistent. Consistenly in these F…. elimination challenges.” Maybe that’s why he looks so murderous, because they have to keep retaking his camera pieces so that he doesn’t swear on this family time-slot show.

I think Marco conspired with Rhett and Mike to make Cassie the fall girl tonight, timing his speech perfectly to make a disaster of her chocolate thingy. Perfection indeed.

Found it funny too when service began that Nick was still off prepping his fish and Marco said something like “It would be great if you could join us here Nick.” Yeah, sure but I think it’s more important to let him prepare your “perfect” dish first Marco. Look what happened to Cassie.

Intellect Nathan wasn’t cooking tonight but certainly liked pointing out the good thing about dishes. Pirate Luke was not so positive, perhaps having watched too much MKR. Also just noticed, people commented on the opening song where it goes slightly muted when it’s Bonny’s intro. Luke’s intro has him standing infront of a wrecked car, because he was in that accident you know.

Fortunately Cassie will get a letter of recommendation from Marco despite being eliminated. If she’s smart she’ll photocopy that a lot. 😛

Next week comes the Camel, and one of the dishes will be the worst thing Marco has ever put in his mouth.

9 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 10:26 am }

Joseph, I like Rhett too, and Sarah. I prefer gruff to fluff.
But not the muff!

10 Buzzy { 02.20.13 at 10:47 am }

Did anyone notice how Matt Preston did not ask Bonny’s opinion at all? When Bonny spoke up Matt P never looked at her when she spoke. He was dismissive and very rude. I think Bonny needs to be congratulated; she perservered and stood up for her self.

The sexism is MCP is destroying a fun time. My question is why do the girls accept the tasks nobody else wants and then accept the negative feedback?

11 brain dead dave { 02.20.13 at 10:47 am }

Rhett’s not working for me. Sexist ,ageist and worst of all ~monumentally boring.

12 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 10:50 am }

Joseph, I didn’t notice the car wreck that apparently defines Luke.

I’d like to go on MC just to give them a creative back story. It wouldn’t have to be true.

13 brain dead dave { 02.20.13 at 10:55 am }

The entire cast ought to be standing in front of a train wreck.

Jowl$y would be in front of the trashed dining car, Daisy.

14 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 10:56 am }

What can Jowly stand in front of?

15 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 10:59 am }

Joseph – day from hell yesterday and in fact it is the longest my site has ever been down. Not good as Tuesday is a big day for the blog traffic wise.

Daisy – you are right re: back story. MC needs to put in a little more drama either what is happening in the kitchen or what is happening between the contestants just to give it some oompf.
Having said that I am really enjoying the series but it only rated 411,000 last night and deserves so much more. Good cooking, good editing they just need to ramp up the contestants more. These chefs are big boys now they are not always polite to each other.

BDD – yeah I know what you are saying about Rhett, however he is one of my favourites and is blunt to camera as was Cameron.

16 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 11:02 am }

Yeah blunt. I like it. No BS. No sookiness. No fluff.

17 Joseph Skyrim { 02.20.13 at 11:07 am }

Hehe I actually like everyone that’s still in (Cassie included), though I miss Wags too. Other than being good TV, his expressive personality was a nice counter to Rhett’s stone face. :)

I’m of the opinion Coop, Bonny and Luke are the weaker tier remaining but of the other six – it’s pretty hard to rank them because they seem to all be so good. o.o

Fishman Rhett could be in trouble with the camel, but I think anyone would have trouble with it unless they’ve cooked it before.

@RR (15) – Hey at least your blog gets traffic! ^_~

18 Littlepetal { 02.20.13 at 11:58 am }

I wish it is horse meat they are cooking with

19 brain dead dave { 02.20.13 at 12:03 pm }

I’m seeing what I think was unfair assistance to Nick by him being alerted by MPW to several large bones in his Ocean Trout before service. Nick was blissfully unaware of his boning incompetence.

20 Danielle { 02.20.13 at 12:31 pm }

Don’t care about ratings. It wouldn’t affect the watching of the show. They should take into account online viewing if they decide to renew the show. I always find it funny that people want to focus on the cooking but straight cooking shows don’t rate well.
Some people who watch MKR admit to only watching it for the drama and the comedy. I prefer to watch it when people do well.
Anyway I’m glad Cassie didn’t leave just because of her dessert but I think she could of started again. Rhett had the biggest advantage because he was cooking seafood. But on Sunday I think he mind be the one to cook Camel liver, which is the worst thing Marco has ever eaten. My mum thought that Rhett would win but I don’t I think it could be Nathan or Rhys. For all the chefs hating desserts if you get it right it would be the dish of the day.

21 Carole { 02.20.13 at 1:17 pm }

I agree Joseph. Marco telling Nick, it would be great if he could join them, when he was the one who complained about the fish still having bones in them. Make up your mind.

Really looking forward to Marco eating the worse thing he has ever put in his mouth. Should be interesting.

22 Dunbi { 02.20.13 at 1:18 pm }

Agree with Carole – Marco’s fault the mousse was ruined. Agree also with BDD, unfair assistance from Marco re bones in the fish. Cassie should have stood up for herself and told them she was not doing the dessert again. There seemed to be no discussion between the three of them as to who would do what. Can’t wait for the camel liver episode.

23 JK { 02.20.13 at 1:35 pm }

Cassie went too early as I wanted her to stay til the end to form a romantic relationship with Michael, just because he is kinda cute!

Back to the cooking, yeah it sucks that Cassie had to do desserts AGAIN!

24 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 1:42 pm }

JK – now that would be a scandal as Michael is married…

25 Dr T { 02.20.13 at 1:45 pm }

Littlepetal @ 2 – I don’t remember Cassie getting much of a chance to do main or entree in the last few weeks (please correct me if I am wrong) – but the last few activities she’s ended up on desserts, so I’m not sure it is fair to assert that she can’t handle those.

Luke is channelling Ian Parmenter…

Marco was picking fault with alot of them. I think he was waiting to the top 10 to start dishing out more pain…

26 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 1:50 pm }

Little Petal – Horsemeat? ROFL – more common than camel that is for sure.

27 Littlepetal { 02.20.13 at 1:59 pm }

Its only my impression, Dr T. Cassie like to do pretty things and she is good at it. When you have to cook quick and fast she doesn’t handle that well. I think it is not her cup of tea.

28 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 2:07 pm }

Here is a link to TV Week interview with Cassie and apparently her and Cameron clashed – why have we not seen any of this on screen.

29 JK { 02.20.13 at 2:37 pm }

Oops I should pay more attention to the contestants personal life! my bad

30 brain dead dave { 02.20.13 at 2:44 pm }

The camel meat is apparently lean protein and low in cholesterol.

It’s quite possible that those of us partial to a regulation Aussie meat pie have already sampled it.

31 Anna { 02.20.13 at 3:03 pm }

Why did Cassie mess up the duck? She knows how to do basics like that!

She worked in two of the biggest kitchens in Sydney! Bilsons and Becasse.

From the start I thought Coop would go… Still don’t get how Jowlsy always gets a dodgy dish and everyone else gets a perfect one

32 Joseph Skyrim { 02.20.13 at 3:37 pm }

Anna (31) – re: Jowlsy dodgy dish – bad luck perhaps. Some lady also found a pinbone in her fish too. Also good to note: all the diners get one dish each (whatever they ordered). On Matt’s table the contestants swapped plates between them to taste (good thing none of them are virulently ill with contagion huh).

Matt himself has two plates though for -each- course, increasing chances of flaw detection. No swapping necessary. It’s official: He counts as two people. O.O

Just came to mind another funny moment – Marco saying “Tonight is all about perfection. I turned a blind eye to flaws in the past but no more. If it isn’t perfect, it isn’t leaving the pass!” (insert Gandalf -you shall not pass- image)

Then I remembered: “Where’s the duck Cameron?” Hehehe. Blind eye indeed. ;p

33 Carmen { 02.20.13 at 3:53 pm }

The following are quotes from an interview with Cassie on the 9th February which would suggest that she had skills which she was not given the opportunity to show. It would seem that desserts were not her strength. At 19 I guess it’s hard to stand up against those who are older and, supposedly, more experienced.

……”(Cassie) said she hated being dismissed to desserts duty while her mostly male leades take care of the tough stuff.”

“That was the part I hated the most. I got put on desserts all the time and that’s my weakness (skill). You should play to people’s strengths regardless of whether it’s for an elimination.”

34 Anna { 02.20.13 at 4:02 pm }

Joseph, Jowlsy doesn’t need 2 big plates, or should get 2 small plates. This year he is lucky doesn’t have to find for scraps with G&G 😉

The fact that he tells chefs at the table what they should be tasting, is ridiculous. Each time I think he cannot look dumber he does…

Carmen, some of the big boys are much stronger then Cassie. They go for the mains and entree as it’s their strength. Being the youngest and least experienced she needs to roll with the punches….. like we all do in life.

35 Phil { 02.20.13 at 7:38 pm }

Cassie was sent to desserts again since she was the one who cost her team a win in the high country challenge. Though her fall from grace started already some time ago with mediocre dishes. She’s good but too inexperienced, she has a bright future.

36 donae { 02.20.13 at 10:12 pm }

I’d like to see Rhett on dessert, he seems to be pretty good at getting himself the entree to do

37 jinx { 02.21.13 at 12:35 am }

I’m a big fan of Rhett’s in general. He seems more no-nonsense than the rest and I enjoy the deadpan immensely as well as self-editing F-moments :)

starting to wish Wags had shouted at MPW because he drives me insane! I believe he is/was a brilliant chef but honestly his tactics are annoying. what was the purpose of him going to Cassie to check on something she is discarding? also since his speech cost her, her place on the competition I doubt she’s still a fan.

“don’t let them see you sweat” maybe someone should have said that to Rhett. as much as I like him that just grosses me out.

did anyone notice the editing around the desserts? why would they show the original plated dessert during their comments, rather that the product that left the kitchen?

38 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 12:45 am }

Jinx we’re on the same page with Rhett. I like the ones like Rhett and Sarah who don’t try to impress with their persona. Sarah looks like she doesn’t even wear make-up.
No BS.

39 Littlepetal { 02.21.13 at 8:41 am }

Daisy-I didn’t like Rhett at the beginning. He was full of himself but he now realise that this comp is not as easy as he thinks. He can cook and I actually like his cooking.

Sarah is another one who is can cook and go about quietly with her business.

40 Dunbi { 02.21.13 at 11:05 am }

Maybe they should stipulate that if you are in a team situation you may not do the same course you did the last time. I would like to see Rhett do a dessert, after all if you are going to be the winner of Masterchef The Professionals you should be able to do any of the courses. I would liked to have seen Sarah making that dessert. I don’t think she would have allowed Marco to ruin her mousse and had it not gone well she would have been making another batch rather than cooking duck.

41 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 11:37 am }

Dunbi@40 Yes, that’s a great idea. No back to back courses. They producers try to create diversity with differnet challenges, but your suggestion makes them diversify and would be more interesting.

42 Mazey { 02.21.13 at 6:13 pm }

I think Cassie’s lack of experience showed in her failing to take the mousse off the hob when Marco summoned them to listen to him spouting off. She should have twigged by week 2 that MPW loves the sound of his own voice and fake accent.

Agreed, Dunbi, no repeat/back to back same courses allowed. MC Pro UK has had dessert only types get through to the last weeks, one of the judges started as a pastry chef so favoured them; a Pro should be able to do all courses IMO.

Nick seems to be getting a bad edit and not liked on here, he seems to me a good competent chef getting messed around by MPW. I dislike MPW, he is a jinx on any show, killed off Hells Kitchen UK and had a show on US tv cancelled after about 4 episodes.