My Kitchen Rules – Difference Between A Hipster And A Geek

If you are confused about what is the difference between Josh and Andi (alleged hipsters) and Keiran and Natassia (alleged geeks). A person on Twitter @amyisthinking sent me the infographic to educate me and I thought it might be useful when trying to decipher the labels that are being placed on the MKR contestants.

1 Bolders { 02.20.13 at 2:26 pm }

Remember emos – what would they have cooked if they were on MKR?

Nothing. Because what would be the point.

2 wallah { 02.20.13 at 6:27 pm }

The only person even coming close to hipster is Nathan from Masterchef Professionals followed a distant second Dan from MKR. Kieran fits into the metalhead neckbeard category…the others? Just well dressed young people.

3 brain dead dave { 02.20.13 at 6:41 pm }

I have an arsenal of Rolling $tones T shirts but I ain’t no geek.

I first heard the word “geek” on a Bob Dylan record from 1965 and am sure it meant something different then. Hipster also meant an afficianado of bebop jazz, too. Modern life is rubbish.

4 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 8:03 pm }

The difference usually becomes apparent. I would agree with Jesus and his friend Denise Drysdale that they do certainly LOOK like a couple of geeks. The pretty couple are more like yuppies.
The Jesus guy needs to do a rethink on the hair.

5 Jafrad { 02.21.13 at 12:16 am }

Kieran was my housemate when he got accepted onto the show, and I went to school with (and am friends with) Naz and their whole group. We’re all nerds, to different degrees. Reidy plays 40k and has a boba fett tat for crying out loud. He’s also a metal head and a sweet guy. I’ve not seen Naz look like that before, maybe it was the makeup people.

6 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 12:52 am }

So Keiren, how accurate have we been in our assumtions.
Your friend has the Koombaya look. Christian grunge.

You didn’ mention if they can cook. Pleeeease tell us they can cook.

7 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 12:55 am }

Wallah, I like Nathan’s no BS persona but he has a muff on his chin. I’m starting to like Pete’s number 1.

8 Jafrad { 02.21.13 at 1:09 am }

Yeah nah, hes not the koombya type. He’s a serious metalhead, has a number of tats and is not an accoustic kind of guy (youtube meshuggah if you want an example). He collects medieval weapons, has number of swords and is a massive starwars fan.
He’s cooked for me many times, usually traditional foods (he was born in ireland, learned from his nan – think corned meats and roast everything) and I never complained. Naz and Reidy (with friends) put on a medieval themed feast for when Game of Thrones first aired and it was great. roast carrot and potato in duck fat, thick stews in hollowed out bread bowls etc.
You guys have been quite cruel, making massive assumptions and running with them, despite the small info you had. This tells people a lot more about you than it does about Reidy and Naz, though I’ve no doubt you’ll pick apart what I’ve said and find something new to lampoon.

9 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 1:38 am }

Oh no doubt your friends will get lampooned Jafrad. It’s par for the course but you can hang around and defend them.

They could be our favourites and still get lampooned.

10 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 1:43 am }

Jafrad, hang onto your sense of humour and you’ll be safe.

11 Stacey { 02.21.13 at 8:10 am }

Thanks for the insight Jafrad, I for one am excited to see them cook. Even though I hate Game of Thrones I still love everything medieval.

I would also remember Alice from MC last year as a hipster. And I don’t really associate geeks with wearing skinny jeans maybe more cargo pants that you cut off into shorts.

12 Reality Raver { 02.21.13 at 8:11 am }

Jafrad – well at the moment at least Kieran and Naz are scoring properly

13 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 9:56 am }

Jafrad, we might be bad but I hope join us to night and set us straight.
Nobody be horrible to Jafrad because he’s looking out for his friends.
And he’s giving us the inside scoop.

14 Barney { 02.21.13 at 10:05 am }

They’re not alleged geeks anyway, they’re alleged nerds.

15 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 11:31 am }

Barney. Looks like another guide/defintion is on its way:
The difference between a geek and a nerd.

16 jafrad { 02.21.13 at 12:07 pm }

Cheers guys. Feel free to rip on them and me all you like, I’ve been around the net long enough to be able to handle it, I just wanted to give you guys the skinny on what they were really like.
They are quite nerdy, yes, and the producers of course wanted to emphasise that and encouraged them to say/do things that were particularly nerdy etc. As I’m sure you can imagine.

The biggest shock is seeing them cook without a drink in hand.