My Kitchen Rules – Why Bother Letting The Diners Score

Has anyone on this show been cast for their cooking skills? Yet again there was an average meal, however it did not deserve the low scores some of the diners gave them. It was a joke.  Lisa and Stefano gave a one. Lisa gave a lame excuse that the meal was average. Well average is not one out of ten, it is a four or a five. She then admitted she will do anything that has to be done to get through. So it was a strategy vote. Truly pathetic.

It was a pity that most of the food comments were coming from the new teams, as it would have been interesting to see what Lisa and Stefano had to say about the actual dishes. Did Stefano say anything this episode?

It appears they have cooked up this strategy with Dan and Steph from Queensland as they only gave the meal a two as well.

What is interesting that in this round of instant restaurants there is a team from each state. Thanks Donae for point that out. Was this a coincidence or were there other gatecrashers waiting in the wings from the other states if they needed to be represented?

It was gatecrashers from Victoria turn to cook. Angela and Melina are “housewives” but really Angela has her own beauty business and Melina is a personal stylist, as well as being mothers. Melina is 31 years old and Angela is 37, and they “tell each other everything”.  Their restaurant was Bella Nonna which was to pay homage to their grandmothers whose food they were cooking.

Their meal was not outstanding but it was certainly not the worse that has been plated. Andi and Josh’s was about the same if not worse and they are somehow safe from this third round.

For entree it was stuffed Zucchini Flowers with stuffed eggplant. It looked a tad greasy but what was the weirdest thing was they spent valuable time making three sauces just so it could be put on the plate to look like an Italian flag. A fresh tomato one would have been enough.

The girls were clever with their main making Beef Cheeks in Red Wine, until they decided to puree the mashed potato. It turned into glue like substance not helped that cream was added to it as well.

For dessert it appeared they made it up which was a Mango and Passionfruit surprise, it was sponge and mousse layer cake. It looked good, but did not wow the judges who thought the mousse was too much like cheesecake. In fact the judges did not appear to eat much of their meals at all.

Sophie and Ashlee the asian girls who have been promoted as the new villains went hard but they did sprinkle it with positive comments, they particularly liked the main much to the mirth of the other diners. They ended up scoring them a five. The big issue of the week is whether MKR has been casting villains according to race, I will write about that in a separate post for discussion.

The Western Australian pair of Keiran and Natassia are apparently nerds not hipsters or hippies. Keiran who is a metal head (is that different from nerd?) is best friends with her husband. What is interesting is she said she learnt to cook when she moved in with her then boyfriend, now husband as “she had to feed him”. That is what she has said on the publicity blurb. Clearly she did not think that maybe he could also contribute to the meals.  They ended up scoring them a generous six.

Ali and Samuel gave a four which was the highest score of the original teams.

The judges were far more generous with Pete giving a six for entree, a seven for main and a three for dessert. Manu gave a five for entree, an eight for main and three for dessert. This probably did reflect what the meal was worth.

They scored a low 50 out of 110, expect low scores to be given by the Victorian team over the next few nights and of course from Lisa and Stefano.

My Kitchen Rules on Monday to Thursday at 7.30pm on SEVEN.

1 Anna { 02.20.13 at 9:49 pm }

Dave, will you be calling her ‘babe’ friend Tattoos?

The way they keep on calling each other babe was freaking me out tonight… OH YEAH they think they will do better lol

2 LB { 02.20.13 at 9:49 pm }

Am starting to seriously like the Italians from Vic. They were quite kind in their comments on the train wreck that was tonight’s dinner. And they absolutely seem to have taken on The Bitter Sisters from NSW if the promos for tomorrow nights show are anything to go by.

I can’t believe the crap that these two women spout. Unless they are aiming for a post MKR career as female Kyle Sandilands, they are not doing themselves any favours. I can’t wait for the press articles claiming they were taken out of context.

3 A.P { 02.20.13 at 9:52 pm }

Yeah, my team Dan and Steph scraped through, just!
Can’t wait til tomorrow night for The Asylum, they are a bit creepy and kooky.

4 Morgan { 02.20.13 at 9:54 pm }

Dan & Steph scrape by again. They really should’ve been on the bottom, IMO. They clearly can’t cook but their dessert and Ali & Sam scoring them high for whatever reason saved them. Angela and Melina have every right to feel annoyed. Now hoping for Lisa & Stefano to crash and burn on their night.

God this season sucks so far, hopefully it will pick up when they finally hit Kitchen HQ.

5 Littlepetal { 02.20.13 at 10:03 pm }

The other night Braces can’t figure out the dessert made by the Italian mamma. She said she was not sure whether it was an omelette. Who serve omelette as a dessert? They are the last team to cook. I won’t be surprise if they get 1 from each team.

6 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 10:05 pm }

Morgan – agree that meal was not a seven. one course was unedible Pete gave it a one. Mateship got them through not cooking

7 Littlepetal { 02.20.13 at 10:12 pm }

They were on Kyle Sandilands show this morning. They didn’t like Lisa and said they didn’t really make any friends. Hopefully they got kicked out any didn’t have the chance to meet the other nicer contestants.

At least Jessie and Biswa were having fun but this 2 are so serious and painful to watch.

8 Gabby { 02.20.13 at 10:17 pm }

Those pork things looked disgusting. Whatever made them decide to cook them? That’s two disgusting pork meals they have cooked. So much for the sausage king. Once again she has to say to her husband for all television viewers to hear, ‘don’t go mad at me’, what is it with these two? Does he usually get stuck into her if she does anything wrong? Why doesn’t she say this off camera?
I think the two Mummas at least have manners, they laugh, they talk, they are not snide or rude. I hope they don’t get sent home.

9 LongTimeLurker { 02.20.13 at 10:18 pm }

Something very odd here, Ashlee Pham is apparently a ‘blogger and photographer’ according to interviews, but has no online presence at all. False name? False job? can we have some investigation please Ravers?

10 Reality Raver { 02.20.13 at 10:24 pm }

Long time lurker ashlee has a twiter account under ashlee laird but agree she has a very small digital footprint and have not found her blog yet

11 LongTimeLurker { 02.20.13 at 10:28 pm }

If she’s as crap as cooking as she is at blogging we will be in for a fun night next week!

12 Anna { 02.20.13 at 10:37 pm }

RR, team 2 is sticking together

From the promo thought it was funny that team mammas said that if team NSW were their kids they’d be ashamed

13 A.P { 02.20.13 at 10:41 pm }

I guess its all fair in love and war RR. It may be mate ship that got them through but to me it was obvious that the original three teams would stick together against the gatecrashers ( although Lisa and Stefano scored them low ),and this will continue to happen all the way through, this is what the judges wanted and they can manipulate the scores however they want.

14 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 11:21 pm }

I have just finished watching the mains being made. It looked like they were preparing toxic hospital waste. Like they cleaned up after an operation and said, “We can’t waste that. Let’s cook it in bile and make a casserole.”
I wonder how they go inviting friends for dinner.
And they said of the pork, “We usually cook only 2”. I don’t know how they eat like that.
It is just sickening to watch. Whatever made these 2 decide to enter a cooking comp.

15 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 11:28 pm }

Oooohhh! And an ad just came on showing the fat inside a guys waistline with the voice-over saying “toxic fat around your vital organs”. It showed all this gizzardy veiny fat and I thought I was still watching MKR. Please, Dan and Steph, whatever you’re doing, STOP.

16 A.P { 02.20.13 at 11:35 pm }

I do agree Daisy, their sort of food is definitely not my cup of tea at all, its all too fatty and greasy, I don’t eat pork, but their advantage is that they are still part of the original group and I don’t think any of them want a gate crasher to win so the scores will continue to be manipulated and they will stick together.
I’m dying to see how the Asian girls cook when its their turn, hope they have a chocolate dessert for the chocolate hit.

17 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 11:50 pm }

Sorry AP. I know they’re the guys from Hervey Bay but OMG I’m not thrilled about the look of Jesus and Denise Drysdale from WA. I knew a lady that used to cook a lot like Dan and Steph. But she cooked food that could sink a boat whereas Dan and Steph use enough fat to keep a ship afloat. Like Dan and Steph my friend thought her cooking was great but it was damned hard to eat.

Having gate crashers this early in the comp doesn’t bother me. I just wish someone could cook so we can see some nice food.

18 Daisy { 02.20.13 at 11:53 pm }

AP Do you think we missed Survivor last night? I’m pretty sure it was on Tuesday last week.

19 A.P { 02.20.13 at 11:58 pm }

Yes, I would have to agree with you. They are nice people but I couldn’t eat their food except maybe the dessert.
Jesus and Denise Drysdale LOL, tha’ts a good name for them, she reminds me of someone else but I can’t think who.
They look like devil worshippers or something, it will be interesting to see the Asian girls reaction to their food, it looks like the claws will be out between them and the Italian Mamas.
Not sure about Survivor, I’m hoping its tomorrow night.

20 Gabby { 02.20.13 at 11:58 pm }

Daisy, I thought exactly the same about those horrible looking pork knuckle things. They were disgusting. You think they would have learnt after last time to at least cook something presentable if not a bit more healthy. When he was ripping all that fat off, that he was originally going to put on their plates, I thought I would have thrown up if they had dished that up to me.
I noticed they didn’t go back to Scottie the butcher in Haervey Bay. They will be giving all the HBay butchers bad names. They will all be closing up shop when they see those two coming. Sorry no pork for sale today. How to wreck a pork meal in two easy lessons!
Hear the way he was talking to her when she was making the dessert? Then she ended up making the best meal, better than anything he made, she saved his bacon!

21 Gabby { 02.21.13 at 12:06 am }

Well A.P. at least you are still in there with a chance. You never know what could happen in this game. The way it’s going nothing would surprise me. I just want to see some half decent meals. I have a feeling tomorrow night may be ok. I am hanging out to see how Lisa and the gelding go. I hope they fall on their faces again. She deserves it. He has also come out with some smart remarks, when considering how woeful he went you would think he would keep his comments to himself. Some people never learn.

22 A.P { 02.21.13 at 12:14 am }

I’m feeling sick reading that Gabby, I can’t understand either why they do that sort of food unless the producers thought it was a good idea.
They were in the local paper again today with Scotty, where they were saying how bad they felt making that comment about his meat and they were all friends, no hard feelings so I was surprised when they went to the butcher at Eli Waters which is only a couple of minutes drive from their home.
They could have chosen some nice fish or Hervey Bay scallops, something lighter I would have preferred.
You are right, Steph did save the day with the dessert, it looked quite good even if it wasn’t chocolate.

23 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 12:27 am }

Gabby, saved his bacon. Good one.

They have cooked on coke and they have cooked in beer. So we may yet see them cook a fanta marinade.

I don’t know if it’s the producers, because it seems like this is how they eat.

I’m giving up hope of seeing some real cooking like we have seen in past seasons.

24 Gabby { 02.21.13 at 12:30 am }

I know A.P. they should have promoted some of the beautiful seafood from up your way. I hope you didn’t think I was too hard on them. Nothing personal. I just get so angry. They get this great opportunity, and as Pete said, they didn’t even take into account the timing because of the extra numbers. He said, it wasn’t good enough. You would think they would cook these meals dozens of times and have them down pat if you were going on a show like this, with the chance to set yourself up. To muck it up because you cooked twelve the same way you would cook two. It’s not just them, it’s all of them, they all seem to lose it over silly little things, ie mashed potatoes. Last years contestants were far better calibre. Well I think so anyway. I know it must be nerve wrecking for them, but you would expect that, wouldn’t you?

25 Jill { 02.21.13 at 12:39 am }
26 Littlepetal { 02.21.13 at 7:25 am }
27 Stacey { 02.21.13 at 8:55 am }

Littlepetal – It must be as it has her full name at the bottom of the photograph.

I don’t really think its been racist this year. What about the beauty queen mum and daughter… They were Australian and they were awful!

28 Maz { 02.21.13 at 9:28 am }

A.P@66- I do hope the Italian Mamas bring the Cabury chocolate when its Sophia’s and Ashlee’s turn to cook.

29 A.P { 02.21.13 at 9:34 am }

I hope so too Maz, that would be funny.

30 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 9:51 am }

Stacey@28 Wow! That is an excellent likeness. Especially the one in the rear because she’s pulling her head back a bit.

I don’t care who gets through as long as we start to see some cooking. I don’t mind Lisa and Oedipus staying in because they have already provided plenty of fodder for our amusement on RR. But they haven’t shown any potential in the kitchen, except maybe the kind BDD mentioned on the bench.
I’m still a bit in shock about last night’s meal. I didn’t notice if people ate it.

31 Veronica { 02.21.13 at 11:19 am }

Have I missed something, are dessert forks no longer included in cutlery sets? Last night, Pete was forced to push his dessert onto the spoon with his finger.

32 Dunbi { 02.21.13 at 11:44 am }

Yes, noticed this all through the series, Veronica. They appear to open plastic packs of cutlery, so whoever buys them either doesn’t know or doesn’t care about dessert forks. I have also been surprised that the cutlery (and the boxes of wineglasses) are not washed before use.

33 Golo i Wesolo { 02.21.13 at 1:05 pm }

“Sophie and Ashlee the ASIAN girls who have been promoted as the new villains…”

This is so astonishing, I can hardly believe it. First, the producers ignited a racist verbal shitstorm on social media against the Jessie/Biswa team, and now they’re doing the EXACT SAME THING here. Apparently, all minorities are “villains” in Australian society, according to the caucasian MKR producers.

This show is offensive, racist and deserves to be pulled from the air. I hope this leads to a protest against this complete joke of a television station.

Channel 7, treat our minorities with a modicum of respect and equality, you bunch of racist, caucasian pigs!

34 Littlepetal { 02.21.13 at 1:25 pm }

Golo-Why didn’t you complain last year about how Thomas got treated by the public or you think he deserves all those backlash?

Lisa and Candice got their fair share of criticisms. They are not the minority group. Its their behaviour and comments that the public didn’t like. Nothing to do with race or colour.

35 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 1:25 pm }

List of villains:
Indians, Chinese, bogan ladies from Busselton, people who cook, eat and probably bathe in fatty/sugary food, ladies dating young Italians, Italian ladies, boring looking geeks, seventies professionals, nouveau riche kids, Krudd&co …….. etc.
Anyone want go on with me and it could be the villain grandmas (cooking skills not essential).

36 Georgie { 02.21.13 at 1:43 pm }

So Sybil #83, you know all the producers and the production staff personally do you? Are you certain they’re all “caucasian pigs”?

37 brain dead dave { 02.21.13 at 1:45 pm }

1) The producers can’t force Braces and Tatts to act like arseholes.
2) Trollo obviously has no idea of the ethnicity of the production team.

Just a bottom feeder trolling homophobia and racism.

38 A.P { 02.21.13 at 1:55 pm }

Everyone on the show has copped ctiticism Golo, it will be the turn of the nerds tonight so why do you keep saying its a racial thing, its not, its a behaviour thing first, cooking abilities second.

39 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 2:05 pm }

Golo, I think they’re all pretend villains ….like you. Keep up the good work. I suspect you’re just stirring, but your secret’s safe. The others wouldn’t believe me anyway. Almost no-one believed me when I said J&B were just playing the part and goofing around. Hell they even laughed at themselves.

40 brain dead dave { 02.21.13 at 2:10 pm }

It is never “stirring” when words like “faggot” are used ,nor are jokes about rape “stirring”. Trollo is a serial offender in this area.

I must be missing something here.

41 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 2:12 pm }

To everyone else : Shhh! Am I naive thinking Golo is just pretending?

42 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 2:25 pm }

I’m sorry BDD. I guess it’s because Thought he MUST be kidding.
It just doesn’t seem for real. I think I”M missing something.
BDD, you’re better at this than I am.

43 brain dead dave { 02.21.13 at 2:31 pm }

No need to be sorry, Daisy. It’s OK.

You’re not the one(s) doing the offending.

“One thing you can’t hide- is when you’re crippled inside”~ J.Lennon.

44 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 2:32 pm }

So if I changed my name you’d know it was me???

I’m referring to your knack of recognising Golo under his various pseudonyms.

45 A.P { 02.21.13 at 2:43 pm }

Are you Needha Bunjab Daisy? LOL!

46 Daisy { 02.21.13 at 2:53 pm }

I WISH!!!!! She’s a dear sister!

47 JJ { 02.27.13 at 7:59 pm }

i hate lisa!!! stefano i dont mind but lisa is such a bitch!!

48 Dennis { 08.01.13 at 12:30 am }

I think the uneliminated teams should have done the scoring. TBH.