Masterchef: The Professionals – Re-Invention Test The Fusion Challenge

If they are going to fake scenes on Masterchef they should at least make it realistic. Tonight there was the hanging out in a fake alleyway scene,  to make it look like they are having a break from the kitchen, but if this was real life half of them would have been smoking.

It was also the first time I can recall where Matt Preston has looked reluctant to put a dish in his mouth. He nor Marco Pierre White were enthusiastic about eating camel liver that Rhett was cooking.

Tonight the remaining contestants had a re-invention test where two knives were “randomly” pulled out to show two cuisines of Moroccan and Mexican which they had to fuse.

Rhys said he was in mass confusion but hoped it would get to fusion. He had not eaten any Moroccan and not much Mexican either. He is clearly not from Sydney where a Mexican restaurant opens up daily.

Luke and Rhett were being the alpha chefs and went for the camel meat. This was a high risk strategy. Luke had not cooked it before and Rhett had cooked camel but went for the camel liver.

Marco told Luke his camel was cooked perfectly, and Matt Preston said it was the best thing he had cooked in the competition. The same cannot be said for Rhett’s. The judges did not like the taste of the liver and even the harissa could not disguise the flavour. They were lucky Rhett had not turned it into ceviche.

Marco was critical about the amount of jars and cans Nick was using with his quail and chicken tagine, but this faded away once they tasted it and they told him it fulfilled the brief.

However Coop who did not like the reinvention tests was cooking quail stuffed with cous cous. There was not much else on the plate just a smear of corn puree.  The quail was not cooked to crispy brown and he tried to rectify it by blow torching it. He really looked like he had lost his confidence or that the competition had gotten to much for him. He was told it had not fulfilled the Mexican part of the brief.

Matt Preston got a bit hard arsed with Rhys when he brought in a beer as a sweetner to the judges. Rhys knew he had not done anything fabulous with his Mexican Spiced Goat with Cous Cous. Matt Preston ticked him off saying  “We have a rule on Masterchef: The Professionals that you don’t bring anything in that you have not made yourself.”. Now if that had been Top Chef, judge Tom Colicchio, would happily had a few swigs. [Editor’s note: Tom C hides a drink, under the judges table when he is filming]

Sarah’s Morrocan Pork Fillet looked pretty pink and Marco told her I don’t think you are good at cooking either of those cuisines, however the viewer knew she was safe as we had seen nothing of her this episode, the same can be said of Nathan as well.

Michael made Chermoula with Morwong and it was plating 80’s style. Marco was was not happy about the fish and prawns being chopped up he thought it was like baby food.

Bonny did not have any issues with her Fish dish and she had also made tortilla cous cous, which is probably a world first.  Apparently the balance of flavours was mind blowing. It was not surprise that she won the dish of the day. The other chefs in the top three were Nick and Luke.

Bottom three were Coop, Rhett, and Michael. Rhys could not believe that he avoided bottom three. Rhett who was chewing gum during the filming of this scene was made safe because he was brave and had fulfilled the brief, and Coop was sent home.

Coop must have been popular with the other contestants as there were lots of tears. He is currently trying to get his catering business Evoke Private Dining up and running.

Masterchef: The Professionals on Sunday to Tuesday on TEN at 7.30pm.

1 Carole { 02.25.13 at 7:53 am }

If the judges don’t want to eat a certain food, don’t put it there for the contestants to cook. Ain’t no way I will ever eat camel liver, or any liver for that matter. Yuk!!!!! I really thought he was going to be the one to go, but no he was safe. Someone said that Marco said it was the worst thing he had ever put in his mouth, so I was waiting for him to say that, but it must have been in an interview.

I was really happy for Bonny to finally have the best dish, good on her.

Yeah, I thought Matt was a bit harsh too, about the beer. Tell me I’m wrong, but haven’t contestants in the past bought in drinks for them to drink with the meal?

The judges complaining to Coop about only cooking 1 quail, and asking if it’s going to be enough for them, with all the other food they taste, they don’t need to eat a whole quail. It’s a shame it didn’t work out, not sure why it didn’t go brown and crispy. I’m the same, I like my chicken brown and crispy too. But it was sad to see Coop go.

2 Littlepetal { 02.25.13 at 7:59 am }

Marco was so sweet tonight and said some nice things to Coop. It made me cry too. I think the others know how hard it is for Coop to be away from his family while his little girl is going through so much.

3 brain dead dave { 02.25.13 at 9:02 am }

Two glaring lowlights for me

*the desperate blow torching of the quail.
*as RR noted~ Rhett’s chewing gum , mouth agape prior to culling. Not really professional at all.

Marco’s question “Is it a wild camel or farmed?” question was never answered, to my recollection.

4 Joseph Skyrim { 02.25.13 at 9:10 am }

Thanks for the recap RR! No witty/silly thing from me this time around since I missed the episode entirely due to a wedding! 😛 Anyway, sad to hear of Coop’s departure – but I didn’t honestly think he would have lasted much longer anyway.

Also, Matt got mad with the beer thing? Didn’t Hayden Quinn do the same thing with his “childhood memory” thing (or something similar). He had made oysters or muscles (or some other sea food I don’t eat) and put a beer beside it because it goes well together?

Will need to find a clip of Marco and Matt about to eat Rhett’s liver though. That sounded funny. 😛

5 robbo { 02.25.13 at 9:12 am }

Those “random” knife pulls are getting to me. Anyone notice that in the pull Nick had a choice of nine knives. After Luke had his random pull we saw later shots of the block with only five knives in it and the one front centre was only just in the block by its tip. Someone had taken a peek. I suspect that Matt had done his normal spiel at some stage and said it might be say “French” and “Indian” but this was edited out and in a blooper no one checked the knife block. Probably all filmed out of sequence anyway. Does anyone believe that it might have been possible to draw say “Italian” and “Thai” with the pantry stocked with camel and all the Mexican and Moroccan spices.

6 sam { 02.25.13 at 9:22 am }

Alfajores-the perfect mexican Moroccan fusion surprised no one thought of it

7 A.P { 02.25.13 at 9:27 am }

Lost interest in this show sometime back but was sorry to hear that Coop had gone,I think he was relying on the money for his daughter.
Hope she gets well soon and his business venture works out.

8 Dunbi { 02.25.13 at 9:45 am }

I felt very uncomfortable about the ‘beer incident.’ I fully expected Matt to laugh and put the beer back on the table saying something like ‘but this time we will make an exception.’ A little bit of lighthearted fun from Rhys did not deserve such crushing rudeness.

9 brain dead dave { 02.25.13 at 9:53 am }

I think it was Rhys with the beer incident ,Dunbi but in any case ~ I haven’t heard Jowl$y arc up about beer batter before. His standards are like his chins-double.

Ah, I see you’ve just edited your post to read “Rhys”.
Sorry.

10 Daisy { 02.25.13 at 9:54 am }

I know everyone likes her because she’s a sweet girl but what got me was when Bonnie said “At last I have proven my right to be in this competition”. I don’t know if you have proven it if it takes you several weeks to have a success. I think you prove it with lots of successes.

11 LB { 02.25.13 at 11:22 am }

I was sorry to see Coop go as he seems to be a likable person, but he has been struggling in the past few eps. Wish him well for the future for his family & business.
Was truly touched at the warmth MPW showed as Coop was leaving – maybe if they had promoted this side of the great chef a bit more MCP wouldn’t be struggling in the ratings. Coop seemed to be very popular with the other contestants as well.
Just quietly, I couldn’t eat anything that Nathan cooks – can only imagine how much sweaty seasoning there is in each dish with a garnish of sweaty hair & beard. Ugh.

Tonight’s challenge looks ridiculous – going around hitting up strangers for food.

12 Anna { 02.25.13 at 11:57 am }

Bit of the topic. On the cover of No Idea Stufano is proposing to Cougar

13 Anna { 02.25.13 at 5:26 pm }

What was the problem with the beer? Mexican food goes well with it!

Marco didn’t complain, good to see Jowlsy stash it so that he could have it later…. He doesn’t have to be rude to contestants!!!

Was good to see Bonnie relaxed and enjoying the challenge…

14 Georgie { 02.25.13 at 6:35 pm }

Beer and Mexican food – I’ll go along with that. Mexican beer and food – I’ll go along with that too.

Make mind Corona please – with two lemon!

15 Daisy { 02.25.13 at 8:31 pm }

I think if you have to go around scrounging food, you wouldn’t be a good chef because you’re not prepared, and can’t guarantee freshness. Are they scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas?

16 jinx { 02.26.13 at 4:26 am }

Sorry to see Coop go. He wasn’t one of my favourites but he looked very dejected in last couple of episodes and extremely stressed.

If a camel’s liver is that inedible why give the option? And I do not believe that camel is the staple in either Mexico or Morocco – if the knife block was really diverse the pantry would be stocked with produce more common to all regions. Can’t recall the last time I saw a camel take a stroll along the Seine.

I like Sarah and Rhett for the no BS but seeing Sarah’s softer side made me tear up.

I wish Nathan would get a haircut and Luke seems more weasel-y with each passing episode.

MPW’s softer side isn’t that bad and he seems to have a soft spot for Bonnie.