Masterchef: The Professionals – The Canape Challenge

It is always interesting when people get to pick their teams to see who has been selected first and last. Tonight Bonny and Nathan were team captains and Bonny picked Rhett first, with Nathan going  for his mates Sarah and Rhys. Luke was left standing there on his own last, which makes you wonder if this is because of his personality or cooking skills.

There appears to be no love lost between Rhett and Luke but why is it taking this long in the series to find this out and it might even explain why they both cooked camel on Sunday nights episode.

Rhett’s ego is huge but then he backs it up most of the time, but at this stage of the competition he has decided not to be as much of a team player. Probably because he saw the ones that were, like Kiah and Cassie, be eliminated because of it. Rhett also thinks Nathan is his biggest competition for the title. Nathan has been flying under the radar with limited amount of screen time, maybe he will bust out in the finals week.

The two teams had to produce four canapes each but with produce obtained from the houses surrounding the Botanic Gardens. Coincidence the food they took from the houses were the ones that were going to attend the night? Not sure how random it was but who cares it was entertaining. If they came to my house they would have had to razzle something up from Baked Beans, eggs and coffee.

The green team were politely bitching about their captain Bonny but was it really her fault that three of their four canapes had pork in them? No one else spoke up or maybe that was the only protein they had found except for some prawns.

The red teams canapes on paper did look much better with Rhys making Prawn with Salmon Tartare, Sarah a Pulled Pork “sandwich”, Nathan a deconstructed Burger, and Nick made a Cheesecake as a sweet.

The green team was all pork, Rhett made Prawn and Pork Mar Hor, Bonny made Meatballs, Luke Made a pork neck roulade, and Michael a Chocolate Profiterole with Raspberry Sauce.

Both Bonny’s and Luke’s dishes were a disaster, however they were the pair that volunteered to go and get further ingredients which ate into their prep time. This particularly effected Luke because his meat was pork neck which can take some time to cook and is fatty. He also did not have time to sear it. It appears  being a team player in this show is a disadvantage.

Bonny’s Pork Meatballs were more like Bolognaise and between her and Luke there was only one vote. I suspect she was the person that obtained it. Luke’s dish was a disaster and  it looked inedible. Why didn’t he quickly chop it all up and drizzle a sauce on it? It would have made it easier to eat. It was describe as tough and bland.

The voting was interesting as the diners did not have to vote for best team their vote was cast for the best dish. This meant if you were on a dud team like the green one and they had put out one sensational dish they could have obtain the majority of the points.

However it was Nathan’s deconstructed burger that attracted the most votes and brought his team over the line with the red team scoring 29 points to 21. Not that it really mattered as it appears they are all up for elimination except for the person getting the immunity pin which I had thought was going to be handed out after the challenge.

If so Nathan must be the one to get it, as he captained the team with no dramas, presented a well balanced menu, and cooked dish of the day.

Rhett said that Luke was trying to blame the weather and the pork for his bad dish, but Rhett basically pointed the finger at him. Or maybe the green apron curse had struck again.

Masterchef: The Professionals – Sunday to Tuesday nights on TEN.

1 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 11:38 am }

MCP didn’t do a good job at making it not looked staged. I haven’t watched it all properly yet because of MKR but who has 4 packs of chicken sitting conveniently at the front of the fridge, or not one but two large pices of pork. They must have visited the Brady Bunch with that much meat.

Also I noted that the ‘surprised’ householders had their lippy on. If you surprised me at my house, you’d be the one getting the surprise. I’d probably be cooling off in my nanna knickers and singlet.

Not baked beans from my house RR but meat and fish I keep in the freezer. I always have lots of left overs.

2 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 11:48 am }

Did anyone else notice how massively, blatantly smug Rhett’s expression was when they said ‘canapes’?

3 Phil { 02.26.13 at 12:14 pm }

I laughed a lot in this episode. You could tell that Rhett was really annoyed at everyone but Michael. You could see how sad he was being picked for the green team. His one-liners were hilarious: “green is cursed”, “we are the green team. We self-sabotage”

4 Anna { 02.26.13 at 12:21 pm }

Staged much???

I don’t have any of those ingredients conveniently sitting in the fridge nor freezer.

People almost expected them to come knocking… they were all perfectly made up. I’m usually walking around in jeans cut offs and old singlets at home…

5 sue { 02.26.13 at 12:36 pm }

stupid challenge …. isnt this a cooking show not a sweaty marathon begging challenge…… I dont feel any off these people come across as professionals just wanna be”s wanting there 15 minutes of fame… I cant pick one off these chefs to be a winner..

6 Joseph Skyrim { 02.26.13 at 12:45 pm }

I agree that was a silly format. Foraging for food? Really? Since -when- does a pro chef do that? I guess on Masterchef. One of Rhett’s deadpan to camera lines sums it up “I forage with my credit card.” He was obviously the star of this episode as his one liners were great.

Nathan certainly seems to know his stuff and I tend to agree at this point. Quiet achiever keeps hiding behind that bushy beard.

Poor Luke, he had a really bad day but Rhett was kinda right. It wasn’t the pork, or the stoves or the weather, it’s him. Just change the menu.

As for Bonny’s meatballs – YAY I can cook something better than you! Lol. (coming from me that’s pretty bad) However I don’t know how to turn meatballs into a canape. Too messy to not have a plate. :)

Tonight will be less tense because it’s not an elimination, just immunity – but that won’t stop Marco from repeating himself.

7 Barney { 02.26.13 at 12:54 pm }

It was odd that neither Luke or Bonnie had the foggiest idea of what a canpape was.

Think I’ve seen the foraging thing done better on Top Chef; and a dim distant memory of a similar challenger, involving a street party, on an earlier series of Masterchef Amateurs. (I really doubt you’d find a top 24 MC amateur who’d not grasp the basic idea of what a canape was.)

8 Barney { 02.26.13 at 12:55 pm }

Canpape = Mexican version. hehe

9 Anna { 02.26.13 at 1:00 pm }

I’ve been to a restaurant opening and meat balls on a stick are considered canape….

So not sure why Bonnie messed up…. As far as Luke, he was way out of his depth. Time he went home

Joseph, pro chefs forage for food…. NOT in the people’s fridges. That was a joke, totally set up

10 Jas { 02.26.13 at 1:03 pm }

Doesn’t matter to me if it was staged, I thought it really showed who gets on with who and who are the power players. Rhett’s passive-aggressive one-liners had me laughing out loud and Luke just didn’t get it.
Sarah’s the real dark horse for mine.

11 Dunbi { 02.26.13 at 1:11 pm }

How many of their ‘finds’ were nicely wrapped in white deli paper, think they all went shopping that morning. Rhett was annoying and bossy, but have to say he was right. I wanted to see people taste Bonnie’s meatballs, I wonder why they left that out when we saw tastings for all the other canapes. I hazard a guess it was the little boy who voted for her meatballs, kids like that sort of food. That piece of pork was revolting, I wonder what the householder intended doing with it.

12 Barney { 02.26.13 at 1:13 pm }

Meatballs on a stick may be considered a canape, a rather unpleasant one, in my opinion, but cumbersome meatballs on a small dish with a sauce, and a blob of yoghurt, are not.

13 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 1:22 pm }

Yes I think Rhett thought, “Damn I’m on the loser team”, and it had nothing to do with the colour of the apron.
Don’t care if he’s smug if he backs it up with his food.

14 Anna { 02.26.13 at 1:23 pm }

Barney, not true!! Meatballs on a stick if tasty are a great canape. Easy to juggle with a drink in the other hand….

15 Dr T { 02.26.13 at 1:23 pm }

I’m on the Nathan and Rhett bandwagons… I’d want one of those two guys to win…

Luke just seemed lost, but it’s interesting that of all the people who initially got in, he was the one who had his own restaurant get a chefs’ hat in the past. Obviously the car crash really f-ed him up badly.

I just think it’s interesting that Bonnie hadn’t worked out that two testicles with some sauce wouldn’t look great earlier in the day. Meatballs are one of the few things I can successfully cook without causing food poisoning, and they almost never look good.

I do agree – the whole staged feel looked crap. But the households would have had a letter drop days or weeks prior to the filming, so I’m sure they all knew well ahead of time.

16 Reality Raver { 02.26.13 at 1:58 pm }

Barney – Indeed it was a street party on top chef it was quite a good episode if I remember correctly, and the MC one was where they had to cook in those people kitchens did they have to use their food as well?

Anna – yep have had meatballs as canapes her problem was she needed the sauce to give it flavour.

17 brain dead dave { 02.26.13 at 2:30 pm }

You can feel the passion for meatballs on this thread.

In Europe IKEA have just been caught making their meatballs from horse meat. They’d have a ripping sauce to go with that.

18 Reality Raver { 02.26.13 at 2:38 pm }

Would prefer to eat horse meat than camel liver.

19 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 3:22 pm }

BDD I just saw that on TV.
While we’re on balls perhaps some might be plated up tonight by Lisa.

20 Bilsey { 02.26.13 at 4:30 pm }

And wasn’t there one of these ‘forage’ tasks on MKR last year in the Blue Mountains at Bed and Breakfast places… I’m pretty sure Carly and whats her name won it…

21 Carole { 02.26.13 at 4:40 pm }

I was wondering how it was organised when I saw the ad. I don’t live in Melbourne, but assume they would have advertised on TV or in the paper if you live in the area to volunteer. I’s amazing that the houses that they knocked on, that is those that were home, magically had so much food there. I’m like most of you here, I would be wearing daggy shorts and singlet top to laze around the house and if I had just gone shopping may have some meat in my fridge. But I live alone, so would have enough for one person. I always have plenty of pantry stuff though.

One thing that annoyed me, was the judges complaining they had all pork, well they had to take whatever they found in the house they went to. Not their fault if everyone they went to happened to have pork. That’s the luck of the draw.

I love meatballs and have often served them as finger foods if I’ve had a party, they always go down well. It’s a shame Bonny’s didn’t seem to be that popular. But putting the yoghurt on then, that would have ruined them. Who puts yoghurt on meatballs?

I was a shame about Luke’s pork, but it did look terrible. But running off to get all those extra ingredients really stuffed things up for them.

But those profiteroles looked yummy. I had thought the green team were going to lose for sure, then the desserts came out, and that cheesecake looked disgusting. I thought maybe the dessert would save them, but they lost after all. I thought the person with the worst dish would be eliminated, but no one was.

I wondered when the episode was filmed. When they arrived at the park and said it was stinking hot already, I wondered if it was during the heat wave Melbourne had. They have had a lot of hot weather late last year and early this year. Cooking in 40 degree heat in the sun would not be fun, then it rains. Talk about weather for a garden party.

22 jinx { 02.26.13 at 6:59 pm }

Rhett was hillarious! i laughed out loud throughout the entire episode. Sure he’s smug but as Daisy said – who cares if he can back it up!

Luke just didn’t have a clue. Pork roulade was never going to work! Its true that running out cut into his prep time but then don’t volunteer. Another one of my favourite moments – when Luke tries to squeeze in on the stove whilst there’s another one open. Rhett’s facial expression! :)

Sarah is my favourite dark horse, Rhys is the most consistent dark horse and Nathan isn’t that bad, but the hair! the beard! ugh.

23 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 7:42 pm }

jinx, you like the same ones I do. The no-nonsense no BS ones.

24 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 9:18 pm }

Just watching this episode. Jowlsy has been rummaging in Peter Ustinov’s wardrobe again and has chosen the “Murder on the Nile Costume”. Very Agatha Christie.

How does Bonnie not know to use some oil to cook her meatballs? She is supposed to be a professional.

25 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 9:32 pm }

Damage control over Bonnie’s meatballs. The previous night she said she has finally proven her right to be inthe comp.
Luke’s dish looks like Dan from MKR helped him cook.
More damage control…hiding the pork under heavy tomato sauce.
“No thanks” says the lady to Luke’s dish. “No!”, says the kid. “Oh alright then” says the gentleman who’s “game to try anything”.

26 Daisy { 02.26.13 at 9:40 pm }

Looks like Rhett made the right call to break ranks given that it doesn’t really seem like a winning team but a best dish competition.

Wow tonight’s (Tuesday’s) meals look great.

27 essenzzaa { 02.27.13 at 7:39 am }

Can anyone confirm whether the Canape Caper was filmed on location in Richmond? They certainly love our lil piggy cousins there!

28 Barney { 02.27.13 at 9:28 am }

Matt said they were in Prahran. Victoria Gardens?