Masterchef: The Professionals – The Immunity Pin Is Given Out

You cannot criticise the cooking on Masterchef: The Professionals, last night in the service challenge the food looked fantastic and both guest judge Stefano De Piero and Matt Preston were gushing over it, but last night was a bit dull, in fact I fell asleep in the episode – twice. An episode where an immunity pin being awarded does not have the same tension as an elimination.

The winning red team of Nathan, Sarah, Rhys and Nick were battling it out in a service challenge to win an immunity pin. The green team must have been relieved to be getting a rest. Though Rhett, Luke and Michael may have been wanting to give it a crack.

The theme for the service was Italian food with 120 “Italian” diners however it was not the diners voting but the judges selecting out of the four who should get the pin.

Sarah was paired with Nick, and he decided to be captain, and Nathan was captain with Rhys. Nathan and Rhys did a far more labour intensive menu particularly the dessert which was a twist on Cassata. This involved candying fruit and making the cake layers.

Their entree was Orrichette with Clams and pork, and main was veal. The green team’s dishes were less complex with a Tuna Crudo for entree, Rabbit Ragu with Pasta for main and Yoghurt Pannacotta with Raspberry Sorbet for dessert.

Sarah was all over everything she single handedly made the dessert, and made sure Nick got all the bones out of the rabbit. She insinuated she was not confident in his eye for detail to do this. Props to Nick for finally finishing prepping the fish before service had started. Regular viewers will know on other occasions he has been prepping the fish way into service.

In the end the judges thought the orrichette was the best entree, and the rabbit the best main. I did wonder if this was because the episode did involve the sponsor Barilla.

In the end the judges decided Sarah stood head and shoulders above the rest and she was awarded the immunity pin. Have to say I was happy with that.

Next week three of Marco Pierre White’s alumni will be appearing. They are Shannon Bennett from Vue Du Monde, Donovan Cooke and Curtis Stone. Matt Preston in the promo said he had been voted “Sexiest Man Alive”. Huh? What happened to George Clooney did he die?

Masterchef: The Professionals on Sunday to Tuesday on TEN at 7.30pm

1 Daisy { 02.27.13 at 11:32 am }

RR I definitely thought that they were favouring the pasta because of the sponsors. Normally competitors would get told off for using packaged pasta. They didn’t film any of the diners commenting about off-the-rack pasta and I’m guessing they could tell.

I think Sarah should have just gone leader when they were doing the “you can be leader, no you can be leader”. She knew she was the one that needed to do it. I like Sarah but didn’t enjoy this moment, especially when she atually lead anyway.

It was interesting to see rabbit ragu (foody-spellers I thought it would be ragout??? But on the MKR menu it was ragu????) cooked twice on the same night, on MKR and MCP. Not much similarity between the dishes. I suppose Manu would like to have said, “See Steffano”.

Disappointed that Nathan didn’t get the immunity pin already for his performance at the canape challenge. He got nothing for that.

2 Littlepetal { 02.27.13 at 12:08 pm }

Did I hear Rabbit Ragu ????? Funny that both were ‘cooked’ on the same night but with different outcome.

Sarah is a force to reckon with. She knows her stuff. We still haven’t hear the back story about Sarah. I think she will be one of the chefs in the finale (not sure how many in the finale).

Matt said there is only 2 more eliminations. There can’t be 6 chefs in the finale.

3 Joseph Skyrim { 02.27.13 at 12:50 pm }

Less tense indeed but still good cooking going on. Highlights for me:

-Marco trying to scare the chefs by continually reminding them that italians are coming.

-Sarah didn’t want to be captain (but secretly did) and basically was anyway despite apron assignment

-Matt P: “Team beard is together again eh?”
Rhys: “Looks that way. Also, Nathan is the captain because his is bigger!”
Me: LOL.

-Rhys saying “I’m probably one of the weaker chefs left at this stage.” His humility is refreshing compared to Rhett’s bravado (which was surprisingly lacking last episode – prolly didn’t have anything nice to say :P)

-Rhys: “Nathan is a good leader and more familiar with this type of cooking so I’ll just be his little robot and do what he tells me.” 😀

-Nathan draws, and skateboards! This must be why he is standing next to a painting in a dark alley at the start. He is waiting to creatively mug someone.

-I think I would have liked to try all the dishes last night, that’s how yummy they looked. Yes even the oyster one despite me not being a seafood fan.

-Sarah is a strong cook, she has good odds of getting to the final episode I think (more so with the well earned pin now). Also Littlepetal (2) they did show a little bit of her backstory with her working at her kitchen with her partner. I think he mentioned that she has balls. 😛 Mainly she’s out to prove chicks can do just as well as guys in the male driven environment of slaving in the kitchen (who knew).

-Next week: Chefs we’ve all seen before are supposed to excite us? According to RR, George Clooney will be showing up too. Just kidding. 😛 Wait, really? Mr. Clooney is -still- the sexiest man alive? o.o

@Daisy (1) – Yah I would also spell it as Rabbit Ragout.
@Littlepetal (2) – Matt said there are only 2 more eliminations -before- finals week, and if it follows the previous formats the immunity pin gets discarded in finals week anyway.

4 Dunbi { 02.27.13 at 1:16 pm }

Have just watched this and all the way through was hoping Stefano and Lisa were watching too. Food looked beautiful, my mouth was watering for the pasta and dessert dishes. Not so much for the squid ink thing. Loved Stefano De Piero, great comments and so obviously delighted with the dishes. Would like to see more of him on the programme. Glad Sarah won the pin, although any one of them would have been a deserving winner.

5 LB { 02.27.13 at 1:19 pm }

Really enjoyed this ep – so good to see great cooking by skilled chefs, which was borne out by Stefano & Cravatalicious’ comments.

On the down side, what exactly is the point of having the 120 “Italian” diners, other than gratuitous comments? They have no input into the final score, which is a waste. Perhaps 50% of the vote to come from the floor & 50% from the judges. Would be interesting to see if the GP vote with the judges.

6 Chris W { 02.27.13 at 4:24 pm }

Nick needs some kudos too. His dish helped Sarah win the pin and he was happy to work as part of the team with Sarah leading (despite what his apron said), and he looked genuinely pleased for her. Those on the balcony (particularly the blokes), were up there because they keep forgetting that there is no “I” in “team”.

7 Anna { 02.27.13 at 9:43 pm }

Watching it now !!! Jowlsy is patronizing even when he is talking to one of the well know Chefs ….

8 Anna { 02.27.13 at 9:48 pm }

Stefano doesn’t need to be told what he’s tasting lol

9 Carole { 02.27.13 at 10:55 pm }

It’s strange no one was eliminated this week. I was glad Sarah won the pin too.

All the dishes looked yummy. Don’t know about putting yoghurt in the pannacotta though. What is their obsession with putting yoghurt in everything?

It’s funny, usually they have to make the pasta themselves, but this time they are allowed to use packet stuff. They seem to change the rules when it suits them.

10 jinx { 02.27.13 at 11:02 pm }

So happy Sarah won! She was awesome during the entire challenge :)

Nick was good but I don’t believe he or Rhys had much chance of winning. Nick because he didn’t lead and Marco doesn’t like him and Rhys because he was put on the backburner by Nathan. I prefer Rhys to Nathan because he’s humble and a hoot.

Sarah’s dessert looked divine! Jowl$y should just hush – honestly – he is so full of hot air he could offer balloon-rides.

11 Anna { 02.27.13 at 11:27 pm }

Marco said 3 weeks till finals. Wondering if 3 or 4 people will be shown the door….

Cannot see Luke nor Nick going through to the finals