My Kitchen Rules – The NSW Team Smashes It Out

Seriously Sophia and Ashlee are hilarious in fact tonight they came up with some of the best one liners of the series. Though the downside was the constant use of the word babe, and repeating the phrase we’ve got to “smash it out”.

They seemed to take a long time with their shopping which was weird as they should have been able all they needed at Bankstown which is not that far from Cabramatta. It must have been close to the end of the day as they were running around Bankstown frantically looking for gas for their blow torch and the shops were all shutting. Ashlee said I feel like we are in The Amazing Race.

Their instant restaurant was called The Factory a homage to Andy Warhol, but it was not really Pop Art but Rust Art, not a known art movement though samples might be found in downtown Detroit. However they did not have the a luxury house rented for them ala Lisa and Stefano.

Lisa said the restaurant was simple and Sophia retorted to camera “Simple? Their one looked like a pinata threw up”.

For an aperitif they served up absinthe. “Pretentious” says Natassia as she then proceeds to give the table a lecture on the alcoholic beverage.

“If you get good absinthe it is beautiful” she said. The Victorian team said “Is it good absinthe?”  Natassia responded in the negative, clearly she has imbibed it before.

Sophia was getting overly confident but still keeping her dry sensen of humour she said “If we get a good score tonight I am going to get the local council to name a park after me!”.

Their menu had a Vietnamese bent with an entree of Poached Chicken Salad with Sweet and Sour Sauce, Shrimp and Pork Pancake, and Lime Brulee.

Lisa said she expected the Lime Brulee to be on a french restaurant menu not a Vietnamese one. Newsflash Lisa, Vietnam used to be a french colony, that is why the coffee and bread is good over there or so I have heard.

Lisa also thought it was a simple basic menu. Which was a tad ironic considering she and Stefano served up a dip for entree in their first instant restaurant round and was that a choc chip cookie on their dessert menu last night.

Natassia was also saying too simple, but seriously with the standard of food being produced this round, maybe most of the teams should have kept it simple. Prior to tonight only one made it over the pass mark.

Keiran articulated that he  was worried about the sweet and sour sauce as sometimes he finds it too sweet and sometime he finds it too sour. And that is why he is working at JB Hi Fi.

Manu liked the salad but he did not think the dressing had enough impact, and Pete also thought the dressing was lacking.

“Where’s the zing we were promised?” said Lisa. Also Stephanie thought it only took her halfway to Vietnam, and Dan quipped “Yes to Bali”.

Melina was hard line “You can’t over promise or under deliver,” said Melina. Which is exactly what every team had done this round except for Tasmania.

There was freaking out going on in the kitchen between entree and main. First they fiddle with the sauce, then with the pancake mixture, and then there was the toughness of the pork belly. But it was surprising it took them 2 1/2 hours to serve up the main meal.

Pete says he has been to Vietnam and eaten pancakes there. Babe they are in every vietnamese restaurant in Sydney though they are anglocised and the prawn heads are taken off. .

Angela did not look happy about the judges comment nor the fact she was going to be eating  a prawn head, but in the end she quite enjoyed it.

Lisa thought the pork was tough and said it was average.

Interestingly Lisa’s negativity had been noted up on by the other teams. Dan said “In this last instant restaurant round we have sat down to 18 dishes and Lisa has not liked one of them”. The viewer has barely seen her comments about the food until it is time for them to score as the producers have been concentrating on the NSW teams bitchy remarks.

After battling with the blow torch, they plated up the dessert and Sophia put a carnation on the plate. Ashlee did not think it should go on because you could not eat it, however Sophia said people put umbrellas on banana splits and they don’t eat them. However some flowers are considered edible but no umbrella sticks are.

After all that running around looking for gas for the blowtorch the girls did not do a great job in using it. Manu said the brulee top was not great, but the cream was great. Pete agreed and said the praline and the cream went really well together

Stefano thought his was runny and thought it was not cooked. but then he prefers his food and women dry and Lisa thought hers had curdled. However this was probably wishful thinking.

The other teams gave low scores Western Australia gave a 3, Victoria a 4, Tassie a 4, Queensland a 5, and South Australia a 1. Vic gave a 4 saying the reason was they had to wait 2 1/2 hours for the main. Stefano and Lisa were even contemplating giving a zero. They really need to fix up the scoring in this show as this year particularly this last round it has been a farce. Pete and Manu are giving out eight and nine’s and the teams are giving out threes.

They then had to head off to kitchen head quarters the next day to hear the score and Melina in “real housewife” style managed to fit in a spray tan session before getting there.

Sophia was surprised they received that much as was  Lisa as she thought the meal was terrible.

In the end the judges scores easily got them over the line, Manu gave a seven for entree, a nine for main, and a seven for dessert

Pete gave a six for entree, ten for main, and an eight for dessert. This was a total of 64 which made them second on the scoreboard.

Everyone seemed to be sad Lisa and Stefano were going. Samuel said he was gutted for Lisa as they are really nice people.

I wonder if they still think that after seeing these episodes and the scores they gave out. Hopefully now the teams in the MKR kitchen we will finally get to see some good cooking.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN, Monday to Thursday at 7.30pm.

1 Littlepetal { 02.28.13 at 2:46 pm }

RR – Have a cold shower and cool down, babe :)

2 Anna { 02.28.13 at 2:50 pm }

I thought man child cannot get more spineless then he already is, but I was wrong …

Seriously blaming proposal on stuffing up their cooking and not beeing happy that gate crashers called Visa Cougar.

I must have missed his point if he made it…. How did they ruin his night? They were engaged prior to the episode being filmed…

3 brain dead dave { 02.28.13 at 2:58 pm }

How dare Stuffano call Braces and Tatt’s place a “junk yard” after he and his now feral cat (not a Cougar) failed miserably in rented kitchens supplied by the producers. They’ll have those gorgeous No Idea photos to cherish forever,but.

The proposal is no excuse for their incompetent cooking. It never belonged on a cooking show in the first place.

Thanks Liberty and good on you Dunbi @ 30. Agreed.

4 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 3:01 pm }

Yes RR, the mix keeps it interesting. We might us well all pack-up and go home (oh that’s right I am home) if we were going to agree on everything.

As it happens I agree with you on that. Sorry.

5 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 3:02 pm }

I’m waititng fro Suziekue. There’s something WE’LL agree on.

6 Littlepetal { 02.28.13 at 3:03 pm }

Unfortunately both Lisa and Stuffano are delusional. Lisa also said in her radio interview this morning about not concentrating on the cooking because of the proposal.

Fisrtly they put up the menu and the cookie for dessert is all wrong.

Stuffano didn’t think his risotto was bad so how did he stuff it up?

Just accept the fact that they can’t cook. 38 is the lowest score in MKR history

7 Morgan { 02.28.13 at 3:15 pm }

All I can say is that I’m relieved that the Instant Restaurant round is finally over. I agree with you guys, some serious changes need to made to make the scoring more fair, the addition of time penalties also sounds interesting. If they can’t do that, then scrap Instant Restaurant altogether I say. Please Ch7, no more third rounds of IK.

Elated that Visa & Stuffano are gone, haven’t been more satisfied with an elimination since Thomas & Carla getting booted off last year. If I’m honest, I like Ashlee & Sophia. I find them to be quite entertaining and I loved a lot of their one-liners these past two weeks, so I’m glad they stayed. They also might turn out to be decent cooks, we’ll have to wait and see. But I can definitely see why most people do not like them, and it has nothing to do with their ethnicity.

8 brain dead dave { 02.28.13 at 3:18 pm }

At least Stuffano thought it was a risotto. He as done thees deesh millions and millionses of times. He going to smash it,bambinos!

Manu didn’t. I lark it but eesa not risotto for moi.

9 kathl29 { 02.28.13 at 5:48 pm }

I am also glad the instant restaurant round is over. They have to make big changes to this format next year as this year the quality of the food had no bearing on the points the other teams scored. Apart from a couple of honest teams it was purely strategic from the start.

I also agree that there should be a penalty for taking a long time to serve courses. Each course should be given a set maximum time and points deducted for each 15 or 30 mins they are over time.

I am looking forward to seeing them in kitchen HQ as it will start to sort out who actually has some cooking ability. Although sadly this year the couples were included more because of their personalities rather than their cooking ability.

10 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 6:03 pm }

Kath29 I agree. The penalty for going over time should be predetermined and specific, depending on how much it is exceeded. It also needs to be steep enough to make them attempt to stick to time.

The WA gatecrashers blatantly didn’t care about the time. Penalties would fix that.

11 Anna { 02.28.13 at 6:14 pm }

Every time Bratz said ‘babe’ I thought of the movie with same name lol

Braces and Tatts proved one thing, they aint too bright… babe / lets smash it/ she hates us/ etc etc

let’s see how they do under pressure when cooking along side with other teams and with a new judge who doesn’t hold back.

Toby was a sweetheart, Collin is tough!!

I like Collin, he is a good chef and he never holds back…. kind of refreshing :-)

12 Suziekue { 02.28.13 at 6:22 pm }

I agree with everything Daisy says deffo (what didya say again Babes? Baaaaabes?)

13 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 6:28 pm }

Oh Suziekue. At last. I have a great idea for a challenge. Shirts off!
Or better still the “Naked chef”.
These producers are always looking for a twist.

14 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 6:34 pm }

If you saw the horrible Bratz dolls you would see the likeness to A and S. But otherwise its Braces and Tatz together.

15 Anna { 02.28.13 at 6:37 pm }

Brats dolls food didn’t look that crash hot, 2 entrees and a dessert… then again they wanted to get rid of Ice Queen and Man Child.

I’d expect the pancake as one of the courses if I’m going yum cha… time to go yum chat…

16 Suziekue { 02.28.13 at 7:09 pm }

@ #63 *punches air* Oh yes Daisy babes! what a babedelicious idea! And I do think you and I should volunteer our services to audition the blokes. In a good cause of course. BDD might like to do the honours for the lady babes.

17 Katrina { 02.28.13 at 7:13 pm }

Glad to see the tail end of Lisa and Stefano – they certainly can’t cook and their plating is dreadful – they just have no idea. Lisa was so boring and made absolutely ridiculous comments and Stefano obviously doesn’t have many cooking skills not knowing how to cook risotto and didn’t cook the rabbit as the menu suggested.
Its also interesting to hear comments from all the contestants – they all fancy themselves wonderful cooks with a great interest in food, however, their comments tell a different story. They’re all making these weired comments and you just know they don’t have much of an idea. Pete and Manu must be laughing on the inside time after time. I’m so glad Ashlee and Sophia put Lisa and Stefano out of their misery!!

18 Natassia's awful fringe { 02.28.13 at 7:17 pm }

What was the ridiculous – We can’t eat unshelled prawns? Ewwww!!!
Is this the 70s?
Do these people live off Women’s Weekly cookbooks?

19 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 7:25 pm }

Skue@66 He might like to see them bounce.

Oh and it looks like Katrina@67 is up for it. She likes the tail ends.

20 Anna { 02.28.13 at 7:26 pm }

Natassi’s actually you can eat deep fried unshelled prawns…. some Asian cultures do, that’s why they served them

21 Littlepetal { 02.28.13 at 7:30 pm }

Anna- I do eat the shells of prawns. Sometimes it is easier to eat them then to peel them, especially small prawns.

22 Reality Raver { 02.28.13 at 7:40 pm }

Anna and Little Petal – so have I but must say I prefer them (whole shelled) when they are straight out of wok or fryer not sure how great they are cold. Also Italians eat them as well in a shell I think I had them once at Icebergs.

23 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 7:45 pm }

Little Petal can ou do that clever thing that I have seen some people do? That is shells the prawn while it is in your mouth.

24 Littlepetal { 02.28.13 at 7:55 pm }

Cant do that,Daisy. I am very lucky. Hubby is very good at deshelling cooked prawns with knife and fork and he will deshell my prawns as well. With Chinese food I will just eat the shells of deep fried prawns.

25 Georgie { 02.28.13 at 8:01 pm }

I reckon Jesus thanks the lord every night before bed, that Nastassia is married to his best mate and not him.

26 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 8:02 pm }

Oh little Petal, you are spoilt like I am. Rolf shells crabs for me.

27 Golo i Wesolo { 02.28.13 at 8:20 pm }

Daisy, are you a bit of a cougar too?
And is Rolf the ‘German’ equivalent of Stefano?

28 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 8:30 pm }

Na Golo, just pretending. I’ll say almost anything for a laugh.

As for Rolf, he’s not Deutsch, nor do I get to boss him around all the time. Bummer.

29 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 8:37 pm }

To be a cougar I’d have to give up the comfy Nanna knickers.

30 Gabby { 02.28.13 at 8:42 pm }

Let’s hope we see some real cooking now.

31 Daisy { 02.28.13 at 8:49 pm }

Oh! I get you Golo. Are you refering to Rolf shelling crabs.
No he is older than I am so he’s more of a sugar daddy.

32 Calm The Farm { 02.28.13 at 8:53 pm }

Gabby, why do we need real cooking?
We already have MasterChef for that.
We want drama, that’s more fun to watch.
Do you think more than 2 million people watched last night to pick up some new cooking techniques or recipes?
Or to see the latest model blowtorch that can burn 12 creme brulees in one go?

33 Gabby { 02.28.13 at 9:36 pm }

Calm the farm, you caught me out! I don’t really want real cooking, I just had to write something, anything so I could receive the emails. I was in a hurry and hadn’t had a chance to read all the other comments. I love the drama, the more drama the better, I’m with you, bring it on!

34 Morgan { 02.28.13 at 9:55 pm }

Speak for yourself, Calm the Farm.

35 nanaliz { 02.28.13 at 10:11 pm }

Luke Ngoyen (not sure of spelling) has done deep fried prawns on Masterchef a couple times. Isn’t the head part a particular delicacy Littlepetal and Daisy?

36 Littlepetal { 02.28.13 at 10:20 pm }

nanaliz-Yes. We love to suck the heads (especially big tiger prawns). For smallish prawns, just eat the whole thing. I know it sounds gross. Also Chinese eat every parts of the pig including the ears !!! I called them spare parts.

37 nanaliz { 02.28.13 at 10:23 pm }

Have had pigs ears at yum cha also chook feet. Liked pig but not sure of chook. Bit fatty. IMO

38 Littlepetal { 02.28.13 at 10:32 pm }

I love chicken feet at yum cha. They soaked the chicken feet with something to make them puff up.

Unfortunately lots of yummy food is full of fats. Growing up, we eat pig brains. Once I am old enough to know about calories and cholesterol, I won’t touch another pig brain.

I laughed when Dan cooked the pig trotter. We used to make a peanut soup with the trotters and pig tail !!!! or a black vinegar and ginger trotters but you have to simmer them for hours and hours.

39 nanaliz { 02.28.13 at 10:40 pm }

I am hanging for a decent authentic Chinese yum cha. Unfortunately haven’t found one since living in FNQ. Used to go to Chinatown in Melbourne when we lived there.

40 Anna { 02.28.13 at 11:01 pm }

Chef Collin’s restaurant in Sydney serves Miss Puggy whole. May be I should say Babe whole :)

Have seen porker on a spit… know that some people fight to get their claws on the pigs head

He cooked pigs tail for food festival last year. Think you can order pigs head separate in some places…

Ate tiger prawn heads at a tempentaki (sp) restaurant years ago

41 Bobbykins { 02.28.13 at 11:07 pm }

Glad that Lisa and Stefano got the boot this round; while Ashlee & Sophia are quite opinionated they are at least very direct/open about it unlike that pair.

****SPOILER*****
Having had a look at the promo at the end of this episode, these are the teams that I noticed appeared in different challenges – please note there are likely to be errors.

Outback challenge – Kerrie & Craig, Dan & Steph, Josh & Andi, Luke & Scott, Ashlee & Sophia, Jake & Elle, Chris & Sam, Jenna & Joanna(?)
Outside Hall/City Challenge – Jenna & Joanna, Kerrie & Craig
Market Challenge – Ashlee & Sophia, Mick & Matt
School Kids Challenge – Ali & Samuel
Food Truck Challenge – Jake & Elle, Sam & Chris, Luke & Scott, Kerrie & Craig, Dan & Steph, Ashlee & Sophia (?)
In Professional Kitchen Challenge – Mick & Matt, Jenna&Joanna (?)
MKR Shots –
Individuals (different outfits – different eps):
Group Shot – Luke & Scott, Angela & Melina, Sophia & Ashlee, Dan & Steph
Individuals – Angela & Melina (x2), Ashlee & Sophia (x2), Kieran & Nastassia, Dan & Steph (x2), Jenna & Joanna, Kerrie & Craig, Mick & Matt, Josh & Andi

42 Pea beau { 03.01.13 at 12:57 am }

I want to know a little more about you BDD and strongly suggest you help RR with punctuation. Apologies to you RR, you must be strapped for time commenting on all these shows!

BDD, you crack me up and your grammar is impeccable! Wish I could join you at the Fringe.

43 Daisy { 03.01.13 at 12:58 am }

Nanaliz@85You’re right, but not for me. My adventures with food don’t extend to things like fish eyes, pig’s ears (which I’ve heard don’t even make a good purse), pig’s penis or uterus, scorpions, or giant bugs, or their lavae on sticks which is very popular in Beijing. I’ll head for the nearest Starbucks if it comes to that.

You can find Starbucks all over China and Japan if you need it.

44 Daisy { 03.01.13 at 1:05 am }

My thoughts too PB on BDD. He’s very clever and funny with the words. I don’t think he likes compliments too much though.

45 Pea beau { 03.01.13 at 1:21 am }

Hell’s bells! Wasn’t expecting to get through to the keeper so fast. I’m a bit new to all this but find everyone’s comments so entertaining, except for you know who!

That picture of the emus (re likeness to Visa) was hysterical. A true ROFL – even showed it to my 8-year-old daughter!!

Keep the comments flowing guys. Love this site. Congratulations RR, despite your poor punctuation.

46 Pea beau { 03.01.13 at 1:35 am }

That’s a shame BDD doesn’t like compliments Daisy, I’m becoming rather fond of him.

47 Altissima { 03.01.13 at 9:47 pm }

Carnations totally are edible! Many recipe books use them and i use them in salads all the time. They may not be entirely suitable for dessert, as they can be peppery, but Manu is displaying his ignorance, and doing these contestants a disservice by dissing them for using flowers.

48 Altissima { 03.01.13 at 9:47 pm }

Carnations totally are edible! Many recipe books use them and i use them in salads all the time. They may not be entirely suitable for dessert, as they can be peppery, but Manu is displaying his ignorance, and doing these contestants a disservice by claiming that they Are poisonous!

49 Daisy { 03.01.13 at 10:01 pm }

Maybe he will eat his words Altissima.