My Kitchen Rules – At Least Cooking Is Back On The Agenda

Well cooking was finally back on the agenda on My Kitchen Rules last night with the teams first off site challenge.

They had to cook for 50 people who all live in the same block of apartments, otherwise known as a block party. They also had to use their kitchens and yes they were small. I presume equipment was added in there as those tiny apartments would not have had the frypans, bowls of mix masters required to make that amount of food.

The diners were going to vote for the best dish and this team would be safe from the next elimination.

The teams who were at the top of the scoreboard of their instant restaurant round were told they were safe. This was Mick and Matt, the Bondi boys, and Ali and Samuel. Could a Tassie team win this year? No I don’t think so. They also got to sit at the party it was unclear if they got to vote for their favourite dish as well.

The teams had 90 minutes to cook their meals, with five teams cooking mains and four teams cooking dessert.

The two Vic teams had a tussle over who would cook lamb with Kerrie getting all hard arsed and winning that round, with Angela and Melina vowing to beat them. Angela and Melina made a Baharat Beef with a Sweet Potato mash, whilst Kerrie and Craig who thought since it was a yuppie crowd they were catering for when for Middle Eastern Lamb with a Quinoa Salad.

Keiran and Natassaia were bold cooking kangaroo with a bordelaise sauce. Smiley Sam did a fresh pasta with chorizo and Basil which ended up being a hit with the judges who at first were a bit dubious about making fresh pasta for so many people.

The big issue for most of the teams were the electrical stove tops and trying to get them hot enough.

Andie and Josh made a Salmon with Salsa Verde. Basically they all trashed the kitchens with Melina lucky she did not get her butt wet when she slid down in relief at the end of the challenge, as their sink was over flowing with dirty water.

There must have been some a big team to clean as the kitchen they were cooking dessert in appeared to be the same as the mains.

The people cooking dessert got the raw end of the deal as they had to set up the dining space as well. Ashlee was miffed that the teams picked Jenna to take charge over decorating rather than her. She sniffed “They think she is creative, she is wearing fuschia and red!”.

Jenna did not make herself popular when she decided she did not like the first table design and made them remove it and do it again.

Jake and Elle were being creative and made an original dessert which was a Crusted Pear with Berry Compote. It was to look like a Golden Gaytime and yes even Jake made THAT obvious joke. Pete even said it was them on a plate and thought it was great.

Dan and Steph made a pavlova with lemon curd and jelly. This was a huge hit with the diners and both theirs and the judges favourite dessert.

Sophia and Ashlee were making Chocolate Berry Tartlets because Sophia knows everything about chocolate. However the tarts did not taste of chocolate. Manu said they were not bad but not great either. The girls knew they had stuffed up when they were cooking as they said “It was a massacre, we lost control”.

Does anyone else think they are the Roy and HG of reality TV commentary?

Jenna and Joanne were making a croquembouche which of course brought Jenna to tears  something that Sophia predicted and hoped for when she said “I hope she is crying in the corner”. You didn’t need to be psychic to know that was going to occur.

It was bold to make a croquembouche, two in fact, in 90 minutes Ashlee said “Croquembouche, more like croquem bullshit!”.

Also they were using custard powder for their custard but that was not a huge issue it was the passionfruit they added to it that made the flavour a bit strange and made the diners and judges not like it.

The best dishes of the day were the Victoriana “Real Housewives”, Dan and Stephs, the Victorian cousins, and Andie and Josh’s, with Angela and Melina winning the diners vote and therefore were safe from elimination.

The ones that were not so good were Kerrie and Craig’s lamb, Sophia’s and Ashlee, Jenna and Joanna’s and Keiran and Natassia’s. In the end the Western Australian geeks were put into the elimination cook-off. To be honest I was surprised they even got a dish plated and that it was Keiran’s kangaroo that was the best part of the dish.

Whose dish did you like the look of? Have to confess I will be trying the “real housewives” beef recipe as it is on the official website.

My Kitchen Rules on Monday to Thursday at 7.30pm on SEVEN.

1 Jill { 03.02.13 at 9:14 am }
2 Daisy { 03.02.13 at 10:13 am }

Gabby@51 I looked through the whole weekends programme and couldn’t find it. I don’t know if I was just being blind.

3 brain dead dave { 03.02.13 at 11:42 am }

I’ve checked as well and it’s not listed. You must have a personality disorder Ch 7 programmers not to encore all the MKR manufactured drama or at least a highlights package including:
*Angela v Braces “fight”
*Samuel’s shirts.
*The Proposal
*Stuffano’s “risotto”
* Visa and Stuffano for all time lowest score from contestants.
*Braces and Tatt’s 2.5 hr main scoring a “10”
* “Vietmanese” food.
* Kerrie and Lambgate.

There’s always the three hr Jowlfest on 11 tonight.

4 Gabby { 03.02.13 at 12:32 pm }

Thanks so much Daisy for having a look for me, I should have done that, will do it now. I think it is on one of those Go channels. Have not been able to get Channel 7 all week and have used up my Internet. Things are bad in our household at the mo :(
By the way Izobel2 @ 35, I am sure you look way, way younger than Melina does for 37!!

5 Anna { 03.02.13 at 12:33 pm }

Saw the promo for Monday night. Braces is being her usual ‘sweet ‘ self.

Her comment re Smiley Sam ‘I’ve met children more intelligent then him ‘

6 Gabby { 03.02.13 at 12:38 pm }

Cheers BDD!

7 Gabby { 03.02.13 at 12:45 pm }

Mary @ 37, You might think Melina needs a makeover but I am sure if the magazine offered it to her she would decline. I think she likes the way she looks. As for her friend, I think she is absolutely stunning. Definitely no makeover needed there.

8 A.P { 03.02.13 at 3:26 pm }

Don’t forget Gabby and anyone else who likes a good old movie on a horrible wet day like this. Cannel 2 at 2.50pm today called “Imitation Of Life”, so good and guaranteed to make you cry at the end.
I saw that promo too Anna, Braces is so mean to Smiley Sam who seems so nice, I wonder what he did wrong?

9 Daisy { 03.02.13 at 3:29 pm }

Probably nothing AP. She just IS mean.

10 A.P { 03.02.13 at 3:33 pm }

I forgot, all you people with daylight saving, that movie has already started sorry.
I hope Daisy, that those girls get their come uppance eventually.
Poor Sam. If they think he’s a child then what are they?

11 Littlepetal { 03.02.13 at 3:38 pm }

AP – they are just spoilt brats. I will be popping champagne when they are gone.

12 Daisy { 03.02.13 at 4:09 pm }

Little Petal, I will go and buy a bottle of chamagne now to clink with you.

13 Anna { 03.02.13 at 4:52 pm }

Wondering if the producers gave Bratz high scores for their instant resto to get rid of delusional Cougar and her toy boy

Bratz are delusional as well, they tanked during the last challenge.

Their main showed some authenticity … BIG DEAL

Reminds me of a chick in high school. We had to cook something ‘authentic’…. Her food tasted like crap BUT she let things boil over and covered them with tea towel and told the teacher that it was the TRADITIONAL WAY OF COOKING.
Moron of a teacher bought it even though she didn’t like the taste… the rest of us who cooked edible food got lower marks

14 Littlepetal { 03.02.13 at 5:20 pm }

Daisy – Cheers to you when the Braces is gone (even though I don’t drink !!!)

Anna – Pete Evans is lying if he said that is the best Banh Xeo or crispy Vietnamese pancake. Firstly it is not crispy at all as you can see from the photos. Also the pork is cut too big.

These girls are liars. I remembered the interview they have with Kochie and they said they are cooking food that are not served in restaurants, just home recipes. So far nothing is unusual and they can’t even replicate an authentic dish.

Even with lower scores, Lisa and Stuffano will still be at the bottom of the table. Maybe the higher scores is just to stir the viewers up and we fell for it :)

15 Anna { 03.02.13 at 5:39 pm }

Littlepetal, this years cooking so far has been crap.

Not sure how Pete managed to eat it, since his diet these days is beyond healthy, & How the hell did Manu managed to gain weight (according to tabloids)….

If food looks like dog’s breakfast, it is dogs breakfast LOL

If the judges are commenting prior to contestants eating, then I’m surprised that they can eat it after the judges say it’s crap…

16 Daisy { 03.02.13 at 8:17 pm }

Littlepetal, me neither, so we’ll clink tea cups.

17 Christina { 03.02.13 at 8:30 pm }

I am slightly surprised at the reaction to Kerrie. Why should she have backed down? It is a competition. Am I the only one who was kinda impressed by her game/gusto?! Would everyone have been just as upset with the Italian girls if they were the ones who didn’t back down??

18 Daisy { 03.02.13 at 9:41 pm }

Little Petal. Did you watch a bit of China tonight?It was really interesting.

19 Littlepetal { 03.02.13 at 9:45 pm }

Daisy – No. What time and which Channel?

20 Daisy { 03.02.13 at 10:23 pm }

SBS2 at 7.30. It’s been going for a few weeks at least. This week they were showing various methods of transforming products. They made tofu, hairy tofu, milk curd products, cheese, rice wine. All made by hand. That’s where I’m up to now. They also showed them cooking them. It’s extra interesting for us when they show places that we have been. I think you might have seen these show before when I mentioned it, or was that Kung Fu Kitchen.

21 Daisy { 03.03.13 at 12:08 am }

Sorry Littlepetal, it’s called “A Bite of China” and you can download from CCTV:
using xmlbardownloader from:
it is in english
There are 7 episodes and a new series is planned.

22 Littlepetal { 03.03.13 at 8:06 am }

Thanks Daisy. I will have a look and remind myself to watch this Sat.

23 Daisy { 03.03.13 at 11:35 am }

Little Petal, that was Rolf, using my name in vain.

24 Anna { 03.03.13 at 6:11 pm }

Strange my last post has gone awol

A bit of the topic….. Masterchef amatar is currently being filmed & Jowlsy is posting pics of food on tweeter…. don’t think that amatas made this creme brulee,,, looks too good

25 Anna { 03.03.13 at 6:13 pm }

Strange my last post has gone awol

26 Littlepetal { 03.03.13 at 6:50 pm }

Anna-It’s lime creme brulee. Sound familiar?

27 Anna { 03.03.13 at 8:32 pm }

Sadly it does :-)

Watching MCP and keep on wondering WT?? Shannon likes the dish and Jowlsy makes a negative comment … He really shouldn’t talk when Chefs like Marco and Shannon praise the dish :-)

28 Dr T { 03.03.13 at 10:38 pm }

Back down there Anna… Jowlsy has clearly eaten more food then MPW and SB in his lifetime, and therefore has a better understanding of food…

And Clive Palmer has eaten more than Jowlsy, and Gina Rinehart has eaten more than Palmer…

29 Anna { 03.04.13 at 6:38 pm }

Dr T, inhaling food does not mean understanding food :-)

Don’t forget that both Marco and Shannon are classically trained Chefs… have eaten a few of Shannon’s dishes in Sydney… amazing

He is brilliant!!!

30 brain dead dave { 03.04.13 at 7:23 pm }

That’s why Clive Palmer wants to build the Titanic again- he needs transport he can fit onto.

31 Dr T { 03.04.13 at 8:25 pm }

Anna – no, inhaling it leads to aspiration pneumonia…

Does Jowlsy remind you of that scene in one of the Simpsons Halloween episodes where Homer is in Hell, strapped to a chair, and force fed donuts… except he eats hell out of donuts?

32 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 8:38 pm }

DrT: more like a drooling st Bernard chowing down.

33 Dr T { 03.04.13 at 8:47 pm }

That’s a bit unfair on St Bernards and Jowlsy – they’re both just doing what comes naturally… Only one of them goes around brown nosing other members of their species though

34 Anna { 03.04.13 at 8:53 pm }

Daisy, may be drooling Homer ? have to admit I like Homer more then I do Jowlsy 😉

35 baharat,spices,herbs { 05.06.13 at 2:55 pm }

Excellent blog here! Additionally your site lots up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink for your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol