Masterchef: The Professionals – Rabbit Stew

Just as well George Calombaris was not a judge on Masterchef: The Professionals tonight as it was rabbit, rabbit and more rabbit. George recently has taken rabbit off his menu after he met with protest group Freedom for Farmed Rabbits. Maybe he would have had to not tasted the dishes in solidarity with this fringe group.

Shannon Bennett was the guest chef and judge tonight for the re-invention test.  The dish was one that inspired him when he was younger. Sarah who decided not to play her immunity pin pulled out a “random” knife and the chefs had to re-invent rabbit stew.

By the way does anyone else think that Shannon Bennett could play Willy Wonka in the next re-make of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory?

The definition of reinvention is a tad arbitrary, Sarah just turned it into another dish completely and did a crepinette. Also Rhett turned his into rabbit stew gyozas, don’t expect to see that on a menu anytime soon.

Shannon had asked him “What are you doing?  and Rhett had retorted “well some sort of stew obviously” as he was rapidly boiling the rabbit away in a pot.  Which was amusing as it WAS an obvious question. At that stage Rhett thought everything was going perfectly but he ended up stuffing up the pastry for the gyozas because he over worked it.  Matt Preston said they were terrible. Rhett said he didn’t want to go home on this dish. Is there any dish he would want to go on?

Nick made Rabbit Terrine with a Bone Broth he served it with carrots.  Shannon liked the simplicity of the presentation. Matt thought it needed something else to make it a complete dish.

Rhys made Asian style Rabbit Stew with Potato Dauphine. Potato Dauphine is a mix of potato and choux pastry deep fried. Matt loved it  and the rabbit,  as did Marco who said took him down memory lane to 1978.

Michael  was making crepinette, and twice to camera he talked about about ensuring there was no bones in the dish. Regular viewers will know this is the sign that there will be bones in the dish, and there was two in fact in Marco’s. However it did not effect the positive reviews he received. Matt Preston said it does not look like a rabbit stew but it eats like a rabbit stew.

Bonnie made Carrot Tortellini with Rabbit Broth. It was clever putting jelly cubes in ravioli, but Matt said it does not work in terms of flavour. Marco liked she like the risk she took but he wanted more on the plate and told her it was not her greatest dish.

Rabbit Two ways with coffee and date jus was cooked by Nathan. Marco thought the coffee was a little too strong for the rabbit. Though Shannon thought the dish had promise in the future. The presentation did look nice.

Luke made Rabbit Braised in Red Wine and it was like there were two croquettes on a plate.  “I’ve got to say Luke, it is not looking good” said Marco. Luke’s problem was that he did not really reinvent the dish, even though he did serve it with a hazelnut and liver paste. It must have tasted fine as Marco said he would have been happy with the dish if it had been served to him in Northern Spain.

Sarah’s Rabbit Crepinette with Liver and Kidneys was a hit with the judges. Matt thought it was wow and Marco said it was a fabulous dish. Smart move in holding onto her immunity pin.

Top three were Michael, Sarah, and Rhys and then it went all cheesy with Marco declaring Sarah had his dish of the day, then Shannon said he thought dish of the day was Michael and Matt said his dish of the day was Rhys’s.

The bottom three were Rhett, Bonnie and Luke and it was no surprise that Luke went home. As he said  “shoulda, woulda, coulda doesn’t win challenges’’. It was sad to see him go as he is one of the more interesting personalities on the show.

Masterchef: The Professionals on Sunday to Tuesday on TEN at 7.30pm.

1 Dr T { 03.03.13 at 10:46 pm }

“Michael – what I don’t like is two bones in my mouth” – good thing you didn’t go to Mardi Gras then MPW…
It was probably last in 1978 that he was that lowly in the kitchen

I hope Rhett gets his spark back and quickly. It is interesting that in every reinvention test the person who doesn’t re-invent is the one who goes home. At least that has been consistent. But I wonder how badly Rhett would have had to have done for Luke to overcome that point.

Went past George C at the airport on Friday in Melbourne… At least he doesn’t have far to go to get to the ground if he falls over, and he can still go on most of the kids rides with his son!

2 Carole { 03.03.13 at 10:59 pm }

Yeah, I was sad to see Luke go. I knew it was going to be him, Bonny & Rhett in the bottom 3.

There were some interesting dishes. That potato dauphine sounded interesting. I love choux pastry, and have only ever had it in profiteroles or chocolate eclairs. It would be interesting to mix it with potato.

That coffee sounded a bit strange. Couldn’t imagine putting it with rabbit.

And trust Marco to get the bones, usually it is Matt Preston. Although, he said his grandmother’s rabbit stew always had bones in it, so it sounded like he wouldn’t have minded.

3 JM { 03.03.13 at 11:44 pm }

I’m a bit sick of Rhett’s negativity, especially in the team challenges. Don’t like his attitude at all.

4 brain dead dave { 03.04.13 at 12:07 am }

I agree. Rhett’s not happy unless he’s unhappy. I was hoping he’d get culled tonight, but he seems to be a protected bird.

5 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 12:25 am }

I couldn’t imagine Rhett without his signature smirk.It would be like Wags without his puppydog face and auto-pilot comments. I just hope Rhett gets his cooking back on track but it’s looking like Sarah and Nathan might be the last men standing.
Yes RR, the bones were predictable once they were mentioned.

6 Joseph Skyrim { 03.04.13 at 9:05 am }

Hehe good recap RR! Poor Lukey the spanish pirate, it seems we rarely got to see him cook “his best” (until the highlight reel). No surprise he was going though I was worried for Rhys for some reason.

Sarah can just waltz past the next elimination now really which is great – she may not even need the pin. Also Rhett and his smirky smartassness “well some sort of stew obviously” are awesome. He is a pessimistic perfectionist.

I”m guessing it’s Bonny or Rhys (hope not) to go next, based on percieved skill/luck anyway. Also Shannon Bennet can definitely be a scary Willy Wonka! 😛

I liked that shot of him and Marco both holding spoons the same way while the cheftestants were cooking. Funny stuff. ^_^

7 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 10:13 am }

Must try cooking potatoes Dauphin. They looked a tasty treat and I got the impression from Marco’s reaction that he might be cooking some soon.
Joseph, I always look forward to your witty and insightful comments.
Thanks for the recaps, RR. I don’t know how you keep up.

8 2ndhand { 03.04.13 at 11:01 am }

One has to wonder at the “random” selection of knives for the re-invention tests. Did anyone else notice that in the ‘pantry’ the only food in the meat section was … you guessed it… rabbit.

9 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 11:16 am }

2ndhand I don’t think too many people are believing the “random” knife selection.
Any magician shows there’s “nothing up his sleeves” so why not MCP. Wouldn’t it be even more interesting to show cotestants and viewers the options they missed (if it were authentic). I bet the contestants know that it’s staged.

I suppose, even if they did show the other knivs they would cut and exchange. If they want to fool the viwers, they need to do better than make it so obvious.

10 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 12:43 pm }

My tele-guide for tonight says The project from 6.30-9.30 and no MCP. Is this a mistake?

11 Joseph Skyrim { 03.04.13 at 1:12 pm }

Daisy(10) – must be a mistake, Curtis should be on tonight.

As for the knife pull, I agree it would be better if contestant drew first – THEN Matt went “oh are you glad it wasn’t this (draw) or… this (draw)?” However you have to remember they’ve probably done a few takes and the pantry (last shelf) can easily be stocked between knife pull and the cheftestants actually going in there.

12 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 1:17 pm }

Good point, Joseph. It would be good to be a fly on the wall.

13 brain dead dave { 03.04.13 at 2:02 pm }

Yep, it’s Curtarse Stone tonight. The contestants have to re- create his dish from memory,which Jowl$y thinks is extremely amusing.

14 Jas { 03.04.13 at 2:41 pm }

I believe I read somewhere that they stock the pantry with any number of ingredients that go (or don’t go) with the selected meat after it has been selected.
TV doesn’t get filmed in real time.

15 Anna { 03.04.13 at 4:02 pm }

Marco wasted his time on training Colesman! Watching Jowlsy eat is a great appetite suppressant :-)

Didn’t want to break my TV, but yesterday was tempted to throw something at the screen. Jowlsy seems to think that he knows more about food then World renowned Chefs like Marco & Shannon

16 Littlepetal { 03.04.13 at 4:12 pm }

Anna, I can tell that you loovvee Matt Preston…..:) Don’t throw your shoe onto the computer.

17 Anna { 03.04.13 at 5:51 pm }

Littlepetal, yup lurve him lol

He might be a nice person in life, but doesn’t come across like that on tv

18 Carole { 03.04.13 at 7:10 pm }

My Guide does strange things like that too Daisy. Lists shows for weird times.

19 Littlepetal { 03.04.13 at 7:25 pm }

Anna- I don’t like the 3 judges from MC. They are too full of themselves. Maybe Gary is slightly better

20 Anna { 03.04.13 at 8:51 pm }

Littlepetal, neither do I!! I’ve met Gary at the book signing… he seemed a lot nicer then he is on tv…

21 Daisy { 03.04.13 at 9:00 pm }

When those 3 MC judges get tofether they are so smug. But Jowls on his own with Marco comes across as just “trying to fit in”. I feel a little sympathy for him in his Peter Ustinov/almost safari suits and cravats. He must have lots of special cravat hangers.
Gary just looks like a rodent.

22 Izobel2 { 03.04.13 at 9:34 pm }

Just watched this episode.
I’m liking Shannon Bennett but geez Louise buy a hairbrush. It was all I could focus on.
I’ll miss the pirate. His meal looked terrible though!
Rhett looked scared out of his skull.
I wish MPW would hang around and that George would bounce on out of Masterchef.

23 Moonstruck { 03.05.13 at 12:06 am }

On a lighter note, George would have have looked so short next to the three judges!!!!
After watching the professionals it will be really hard to watch the home cooks, especially ones like the ones that have appeared in recent seasons who can barely boil an egg.
It might not be rating but I prefer Masterchef to MKR with the uneven cooking and the bitchiness.