Masterchef: The Professionals – Curtis Stone Finally Cooks On A Show He Is On

Curtis Stone said he was nervous about cooking in front of Marco Pierre White his excuse was because it was his dish, however it may have been that he doesn’t actually cook professionally that much these days, but then again nor does Marco.

Curtis Stone is doing more hosting jobs and why not, it is good work if you can get it. It exactly what his mentor Marco has done, and they both do have a lot of endorsement deals as well. Why would you want to schlep it out in a professional kitchen.

Marco who was doing some of the prep showed he still had the knife skills. His chopping of the mushrooms was fast and precise and he even showed off by looking up at the cheftestants whilst doing it.

Tonight the chef’s had to re-make a Marco Pierre White dish the Snapper Vienoisse with Sabayon Sauce. They were  not given a  recipe nor were they allowed to take notes as Curtis demonstrated how to make it. They had 90 minutes to complete the dish.

Rhys said his memory was not the best, hinting at his drug taking past. He also thought Nathan, Sarah and Michael were the biggest threats to win the Masterchef title. Interesting he did not mention Rhett. Though Rhys was right when he said french was not Rhett’s strong point, as he tanked on the tomato fondant it was far too thin.

Rhys’s strategy was to take it slowly going for perfection. Gee Rhys was getting a lot of camera time tonight…

Rhys must not have watched the amateur version of Masterchef as he thought it he was giving the viewer a revelation when he said he had figured out how the competition worked.  He said it was not about who had travelled overseas or what chef training you had had, it was about not stuffing up on the day. For years it has been about not being the best cook, it was about just not being the worse one on the day.

Marco who would think he was quite a classy cad, tasted Nathan’s tomato fondant, found a thyme stem in his mouth took it out and handed it to Nathan. Gross. There are a lot of people out there that would like to be in contact with Marco’s saliva but not in that way.

Rhett thought the biggest threat in the competition was Sarah, however he of course thought he could cook better than her.

Tonight he did a good dish. The judges told him his fish was cooked perfectly as was his sabayon, however there was not enough tomato fondant and his crust was overhanging a tad.

Bonny’s presentation was sloppy and Curtis said her tomato fondant was too thin.

Rhys was told all his elements were good except there was not enough mustard in the sabayon. Nick was told there was lots of positives but it was not the best he had tasted today. He did not receive any extra points for using a blow torch to finish off his crust.

Sarah’s gratin was under done and Nathan was told his dish was one of the worse with his fish over done and his gratin under done.

Michael’s gratin was nice and crunchy and he was told his fish was under by seconds but Marco said it was a good job. Top three were Rhett, Michael and Rhys, with Rhys winning. It was  no surprise as he had been getting so much camera time tonight. He is the first person into finals week. Well so he thought then there was the twist, if Sarah played her immunity pin tomorrow night he would have to take her place in service. Hopefully she won’t be nice about it and play it to get herself through to finals week, because you know everyone of those guys in the competition would do the same thing in her position.

Masterchef: The Professionals – On Network TEN Sunday to Tuesday at 7.30pm.

1 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 12:39 am }

That was a great cook-off.

Again I enjoyed Rhett’s cocky expressions.

I am so envious of people who can chop quickly and evenly.

2 jinx { 03.05.13 at 2:27 am }

so happy Rhett seems to back in stride! I don’t know why people are so on about Rhett being cocky. Yes he is, but so are the other contestants. Michael thinks he is in the top half, Sarah’s said that she believes she is one of the better cooks, Nick is always confident and Nathan considers himself a threat.

these are professionals, they have skills and they know it.

Rhett has no BS and perfect deadpan delivery :)

3 Weeezza { 03.05.13 at 6:46 am }

I love Curtis. I have seen him cook on the shows he hosts many times.

4 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 7:40 am }

Love this kind of challenge. I also hope Sarah will use her pin or else she and Bonny will have to do desserts tomorrow.

I like the way Marco talk to Bonny. He always speak softly to Bonny

5 Joseph Skyrim { 03.05.13 at 8:29 am }

I really liked last night’s episode! Go Rhys! So many funny moments too:

Nick: Maybe today is the microwave challenge? (hopeful)

Sarah: Oh I’m going to do really well tonight, I have the memory of a goldfish. LOL.

Rhys: “I’m one of the weakest chefs remaining…”
Nathan: “Rhys has a very strategic mind and knows exactly what he’s doing, even though he makes out to be like the village idiot.”

Nathan(?): Rhys we have 15 minutes left!
Rhys: Wa-eeeeh!? *looks at clock* [still had 45 lol]

Nathan/Rhys(?): I tried melt a block of butter in the microwave this morning wrapped in foil and it caught on fire.
Rhys/Nathan(?): Can’t put foil in a microwave mate.

Curtis (to other judges giving pretty good comments on how the chefs are cooking): I’m concerned about Rhys, he seems to be too relaxed… [shot of Rhys whistling while he cooks]

Rhys: We’re all waiting there then I hear the *tick tick tick* of a blowtorch – It’s my mate Nick! Genious! *scrambles to get a blowtorch*
Bonny: [obviously does not hear the tick tick tick then afterwards] Where did that blowtorch come from!?
Nick/Rhys(?): I found it!
Rhys: It was in my back pocket. ;p

Marco to Rhys at tasting: What impressed me most is you used a blowtorch. (hey Nick did too!)
Marco to Nick at tasting: There are many positives, but it isn’t the best one I’ve tasted today. OWwww.

Rhett: I’m in with a chance. I’m sure of it. (and I’ll start stabbing people if I don’t make it to finals week)

I actually thought Mike could have won but no it was Rhys! 😀 Shock* (sarcasm) twist: Sarah must decide if she’s gonna throw him under a bus tommorow. *evil music*

Rhys: This is the most nervous I’ve been in my entire life! (again lol, just come prepared to cook dude – you are usually awesome in service)

Both of Sarah’s options are valid tomorrow for me, so I don’t mind either way she goes:
A) Play the pin – she’s in safe to finals week
B) Save Rhys – better odds of eliminating a stronger opponent now and having a weaker one to deal with down the track

Tonight:
ANGRY Donovan Cook: We’ve just given Marco Pierre White undercooked salmon(?)! What are you trying to do? KILL HIM!?
Rhett: *sly grin*

6 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 8:57 am }

I don’t think Rhys is a weaker contestant. I can’t remember. Isn’t Rhys the one that did well with Zumbo challenge? He is good with desserts and well.

With the service challenge, Bonny will be the weaker one.

7 donae { 03.05.13 at 9:22 am }

brilliant episode, enjoyed it so much, I went over for the last few minutes of MKR, I don’t think I’ll be bothered with the tape.

8 Carole { 03.05.13 at 9:38 am }

I have a hopeless memory & would have been no good at all trying to remember everything. Even when cooking with a recipe I have to read it over and over and make sure I get it right. And I don’t cook that complicated things.

I am always fascinated by how fast they chop things, I am so very sloooooooow at chopping stuff. It’s the one thing in cooking I hate to do. Always scared of slicing my fingers.

I thought when Rhys got so much praise his would be the winning dish. But credit to Nick, Rhys got praised for using the blow torch as if it was all his idea, and he probably wouldn’t have even thought of it if he hadn’t see Nick doing it. But does he get praised? No. But it was funny seeing the other’s expressions when they realised what they had done and thought, why didn’t I think of that?

I was surprised when Rhett was in the top 3 when his tomato was too thin.

For this challenge it didn’t matter if you had the worse dish, you needed to have the best dish to be safe. But that is so unfair that Rhys will have to stand in Sarah’s place if she uses the pin. His was the best dish, he should still be safe even if she uses the pin. It’s not fair on him and it’s not fair on her to put her in that position. They were very clever in the promo for tonight’s show, you couldn’t see either of them so couldn’t tell what she decides.

9 JK { 03.05.13 at 10:12 am }

Am I the only one who wasn’t engaged with this episode? Spent the first half gen-Ying on my iphone and saw MPW’s amazing knifeskills and then the second half changed the channel to watch River Monsters on ABC2, the elusive wolf fish was more exciting than some snapper, even though these are re-runs!

10 My Kitchen Rules – Getting Their Spice On In The MKR Kitchen | reality ravings { 03.05.13 at 11:07 am }

[…] thing in the long term for the viewer. In fact I enjoyed the Masterchef: The Professionals (recap here) episode much […]

11 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 12:02 pm }

The profuse sweating over the dishes , especially from the male contestants~ was just sickeningly unacceptable. Fail.

12 Joseph Skyrim { 03.05.13 at 12:11 pm }

BDD (11) – Sweat and tears (and sometimes hair) are the secret ingredient! ;p

I’m gonna go ahead and also say that I think Sarah will use her pin tonight, because on the last two interview things of Rhys and Rhett: a) Rhys was in his whites with his hair tied up, it wasn’t previously and b) Rhett has a haircut!

If Rhett doesn’t have a haircut next ep I think we can safely guess he’s safe too. 😛

13 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 12:18 pm }

Jinx, I agree I love Rhett.
BDD. Just wait till they get a taste of a short and curly from Nathan’s muff.

I could see MCP being made into an Agatha Christie mystery. “Murder in the Kitchen”. Marco and Jowls already look the part. Curtis Stone could be a Romeo type, with his har slicked and parted and a pencil thing moustache. Bonnie; a damsel in distress.
Sarah; the phlegmatic siren. Rhett; the evil cad. Nick; the butler. Cassie; the young heiress. Luke; with eye-patch the kitchen hand. Stacey; the bossomy cook. Rhys; the young adventurer.

14 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 12:21 pm }

I expect Sarah show no mercy and use the pin tonight, too, Joseph, in fact I’m under the impression that Jowl$y bleated that there were only two occasions available for her to use the pin-and this is the last.

If Rhett gets a haircut, I hope it’s not at the same establishment that gave Jowl$y the schoolboy look again. Just makes the jowls look even bigger.

15 Anna { 03.05.13 at 12:28 pm }

Can someone please tell me that I misheard Jowlsy last night. .. Pretty sure I heard him point out to Bonny at the end if the episode that she has a dissabity & she still did well…

Rhett can cook but his arrogance is a tad annoying.

Have to agree with Marco, Sarah will use the pin.

16 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 12:32 pm }

Rhett’s smirk is delicious. He needs to go up and down on his toes as well. If he was a girl he would flick his hair back.

17 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 12:38 pm }

Jowl$y definitely mentioned Bonny being hearing impaired. My take was that he was inferring that it was more difficult for her to understand Curtis’ recipe being expounded. Jowl$y doesn’t have much to do when there’s a guest chef in, he’s like a bloated,redundant ringmaster.
Donovan Cook tonight. Getting a bit tired of the ball busting, drill sargeant types in the kitchen.

18 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 2:10 pm }

Like JK at #9 ,I thoroughly enjoy River Monsters on ABC2.

I know it’s hard to believe- but there are hungrier creatures than Jowl$y out there.

Yes, Anna , I thought Jowl$y was patronising to Bonny. I don’t expect much better from him.

19 Anna { 03.05.13 at 2:12 pm }

Dave, Jowlsy was out of line…

Bonny is one of the junior chefs at Rockpool Bar & Grill. She can lip read , not to mention that her palate is superior to his.

Loved your bloated ringmaster comment

20 jinx { 03.05.13 at 5:09 pm }

daisy – so glad someone else finds it as delightful as i do :) i almost died laughing with the canape challenge and again with the rabbit stew – he simply has the best one-liners. that combined with his cooking skills and no sentimental clap-trap keeps me entertained.

21 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 5:23 pm }

Yes, jinx, if you wanted to toture me, tie me up and make me watch sentimental clap-trap or any kind of BS.

Rhett’s like an adorable school boy who has just come top of the class and is so proud (and smug).

I loved Wags for similar reasons.

22 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 9:12 pm }

Sarah is such s nice person. She is looking after Bonney as Bonney is the least experience.

23 Dr T { 03.05.13 at 9:20 pm }

I suspected others may have noticed this, but I thoroughly dislike the blunting of the sound in the opening credits when they show Bonnie’s hearing aid… we get it, her hearing isn’t the best. Who gives two f***s… John Howard managed to be the PM for 11 years with a hearing aid and no one ever mentions it…

PS. Akuc was from Sudan for those who have forgotten

24 Anna { 03.05.13 at 9:41 pm }

Dr T, I agree!!! That’s why after Curtis challenge when Jowlsy commented on Bonny’s hearing it got to me…

The only person with the impediment is him!! Wonder why producers let him get away with that crap