My Kitchen Rules – Getting Their Spice On In The MKR Kitchen

It was the first time in the My Kitchen Rules headquarters and after the “drama” of the instant restaurants the episode felt a little slow, however the change of pace will probably be a positive thing in the long term for the viewer. In fact I enjoyed the Masterchef: The Professionals (recap here) episode much more.

Last night the teams that were cooking had to grab one of the herbs and cook with it to ensure the flavour came through. The bottom four would go into another cook-off where the person in that round would be in the elimination episode going head to head with Keiran and Anastasia from Western Australia.  Sam and Chris proved to be nice boys, and swapped their coriander with mint with Josh and Andi, but did not want to swap the mint with basil with Sophie and Ashlee.

However Ashlee and Sophie ended up having the last as they got through with their beef and basil dish whilst Sam and Chris had to go into the final four round with a very simple Chicken With Mint Noodle dish. Can these guys cook anything with more than five ingredients in it?

What was disappointing was the standard of cooking. Because all the teams were going over the top with the herbs not a lot looked appetising. Or maybe the end dishes did not end being as good as they should have been as there was “that classic MKR twist” where half way through the first challenge Manu yelled out “stop the clocks” and one of the team had to sit out for the rest of the challenge. Personally it was a twist that was not required at this stage of the competition and it means with one person sitting back there is less interaction in the kitchens and it is all about the cooking which frankly was not that great.

Everyone was overdosing their dishes with their signature herb. Joanne and Jenna had mint on everything, as did Kerrie with her Sardines and basil, however she needed to scale the sardines better. Jake did not even realise he had grabbed thyme for someone who in an earlier episode professed to “knowing everything about food” this was a rookie error.

No surprise they with Andi and Josh, Chris and Sam and Kerrie and Craig were in the bottom four.

The next challenge was to cook with spice. Jake and Elle who appear to going the let’s go the creative route, cooked chilli risotto with chilli fried prawns, it looked hideous, however it must not have been as bad as Sam and Chris’s as Manu said their Butter Chicken did not taste of any spices at all.

Josh and Andi did lamb with cauliflower two ways. Personally I thought the lamb was under cooked but in cooking show terms it was deemed to be perfect, but it looked red not a pink. However I thought Kerrie and Craig’s Poached Pears with Cardamon Rice looked fantastic and I am not even a fan of poached pears.

Tonight either the Western Australian nerds or Victorian cousin team will be eliminated.

Also at the moment I don’t have a favourite team, but which ones are you liking and loathing?

My Kitchen Rules – On SEVEN Monday to Thursday nights at 7.30pm.

1 Roo { 03.05.13 at 11:18 am }

Last night’s promo was ridiculous and misleading in the extreme. The “Stop the clock”, “what happened to wipe the smile of Sam’s face?” and Ashlee and Sophia “I have met children more intelligent that those two” led one to believe that a dangerous accident or lapse of judgement took place. Truth be known it was an ordinary episode with the “stop the clock” a dumb and counter productive twist and Ashlee and Sophia’s comment a rather unnessacary jab at the gorgeous real housewives.

It is interesting to note that each week New Idea as the official MKR magazine has a story but Womans Day is countering with a scandal story involving the contestants or this week, claiming the whole show is staged and scripted.

I enjoy this show, I love watching the personalities at play as much as the cooking but this year has been so over-produced, misleading and over hyped I think that Channel 7 really is cooking its golden goose. And cooking it badly like the contestants have.

2 bron { 03.05.13 at 11:23 am }

i still adore luke and scott and for some reason, sophia and ashlee.

3 VioletsRBlue { 03.05.13 at 11:33 am }

I have a soft spot for the nerds although I also like the Victorian boys! It’s going to be disappointing to see any of those two go.
Sophie and Ashley are not funny they are just mean and completely delusional about their ‘intelligence’ and general superiority. I really hope that they go at least by midway of the season. I guess they will try to keep them for the ‘shock’ value as they obviously believe that this is an easy way to I increase ratings!

4 kess { 03.05.13 at 11:41 am }

Can’t stand the poached pears couple, especially her.

Love, love Jake & sis, Jake is funny and kind of cute, love the Cabramatta girls.
And I love the nerd woman and hope she gets through.
Interesting isn’t it how many of the couples have one member that is a doormat or dickhead.
Sausage man needs to ge tthe boot otherwise he may get the confidence to try poisoning the public.

5 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 11:42 am }

Bron, I’m curious. What do you like about Ashlee and Sophia. I find it interesting how we have such different responses to the various characters on RTV shows. For instances I haven’t minded ANY of the other MKR characters other than Joanna, who I am now warming to because of my dislike of A&S.
I probably dislike them because my experience of girls like that is seeing them be nasty and cruel to others. I was never bullied at school but I felt saddened for those being put down by girls like A&S.

I see them as the types who would make others feel inferior. And that’s a quality I dislike.

6 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 12:03 pm }

I will probbably like anyone who shows themselves to be funny, kind or have a generous nature. I thought Luke and Scott were generous to give up the coriander to Morticia, but not stupid enough to be complete doormats and were able to draw the line at the basil. I liked the cash converters quip.
I wonder if the outcome for both teams might have been different had they not swapped. Not getting what they wanted worked for Italia.

7 Mrs T { 03.05.13 at 12:17 pm }

Were Kerrie & Craig taking the piss with their basil overload? there was nothing appetising about that dish, but indeed they redeemed themselves with the poached pears. I don’t see them being around for very long though. I thought Sophie & Ashlee’s comment re: the italian chicks “I’ve met smarter children” was just nasty, I don’t know why I bother to comment on it, it’s what the producers & I guess some of the viewers want.
I can’t help it, I’m going for the Bondi Boys all the way!!!

8 Anna { 03.05.13 at 12:38 pm }

Boring episode !!!

Bratz dish looked as if they put up worms on the plate.
Italian mummas were right, 20 minutes is not enough time to marinade the dish

9 chasingvegas { 03.05.13 at 12:50 pm }

This being the first ever season of MKR I have watched, I can now say that Masterchef is a far superior show. Now the contestants are in the “MKR Kitchen’ the show has lost its spark. Manu & Pete are out of their element hosting, Pete looks disinterested & who really knows what Manu is actually saying? George & Gary from MC have the uncanny knack of making the MC kitchen an exciting, adrenaline rushing show to watch. I look forward to it’s return to our screens. As for MKR, i may just cut down the amount of eps I watch or it’s gonna get really boring.

10 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 12:53 pm }

Go ahead and blame the stove, Sam.

Braces and Tatts aren’t making it with me. It’s just a shame both of Braces’ jaws aren’t clamped together to shut her up.

Can’t stand Kerrie either. Craig’s growing on me …slightly.

What is that with Jake and the dog turd hair styling on top of his head?

11 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 1:05 pm }

I think Jake is quite funny with some of his remarks. I don’t mind him. I know Joanna is a pain in the you know what with her crying but to me she is just a bimbo and she does no harm. Don’t mind her. She provides some fun.

Good to see Josh being very supportive even when Andi lost the plot. He is a nicer guy than I first thought. (Maybe I keep thinking he is a dope is because he keeps reminding me of Thomas)

Least favourite will be Braces and Tatts. They just mean. If it is between Spice girls and them I will be cheering for the Spice Girls.

12 Suziekue { 03.05.13 at 1:05 pm }

You know a show is over-produced when the contestants start parodying themselves in cross-channel promos for other shows e.g. Cupcake Queen saying she was “inspirated” in a promo for Deal or No Deal. While it may not have been in the beginning, clearly it is now a scripted line. The Cupcake Queen is already a self-conscious try-hard – ffs don’t give her any encouragement to degenerate into self-parody. It ain’t funny. Anyway, it’s our job to parody, not the contestants……..

13 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 1:11 pm }

Have a read while in Coles. No Idea goss:

Colin the new judge in MKR said some of the dishes were really really bad and some were very good.

He also said he made some of them cry. If Joanna is still around, she will cry even without Colin saying anything.

2 teams didn’t take his criticisms very well and one at least in the end can see where he was coming from but the other he said may need counselling. Wonder which 2 teams?

14 Golo i Wesolo { 03.05.13 at 1:25 pm }

February 4: 1 My Kitchen Rules 2,228,000
February 18: 1 My Kitchen Rules 2,118,000
March 4: 1 My Kitchen Rules 1,791,000

Speaks for itself really. The show is dying thanks to the train wreck of the instant restaurants.

Racism should never ever be condoned or used as an angle for a reality TV show. There should be a zero tolerance policy for racism on TV networks.

15 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 1:30 pm }

It speaks more for you and your racism, troll..

16 Ruby { 03.05.13 at 1:31 pm }

Littlepetal @11 & 13, I’m a little confused…..isn’t Jenna the one that cries at the drop of a cupcake? I don’t watch it enough to know who’s who. Apart from that, what was Jenna wearing last night – a pink tulle skirt? Not exactly OHS-friendly.

17 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 1:38 pm }

Sorry, Ruby. I got confused !!!! Yes it is Jenna that cries all the time. Joanna always keep her cool.

18 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 1:56 pm }

Probably my fault Little Petal. I have been calling Jenna Joanna and probably passed it on.

Anyway JENNA was ready for her ballet performance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy. She shouldn’t go near any flames wearing all that highly flammable fabric.

If the ballet dancer from QLD had worn his leotards and pumps they could have done a lovely pas de deux.

19 Anna { 03.05.13 at 2:01 pm }

Bwahahaha Collin made a few wannabes cry.

Wondering if it was braces clown who thinks Fass needs therapy

Collin calls them as he sees them so I’m guessing the delusional likes of
Cougar were in for a shock :-)

20 A.P { 03.05.13 at 2:01 pm }

Yes, Anna@8, it was a boring episode, I even switched over to GEM for a while to watch Hoarders.
The whole drama with the Stop the Clock was ridiculous, making us tune in to see what calamity had befallen the contestants and all Manu said was that one person in each team wouldn’t be cooking. Big Deal!
Then, to make out that Ashlee and Sophia had made the childish comment about Sam and Chris in the promos was just misleading. Channel 7 are going too far.
I can’t wait for the challenges that take place outside kitchen headquarters to make it more interesting.
Hope the nerds go tomorrow night.

21 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 2:14 pm }

It’s simple, if MKR continues to resort to fake promos, they will lose whatever shred of credibility they might have. Most, if not all of us know “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”.
I recall seeing a mag headline that was something like this. “Jen’s Baby shock” and the story was Jen’s shocked she’s not pregnant. That was quite right but the point is I don’t believe there is a story to back up the headline anymore. And I don’t buy the mags.

MKR had better really watch themselves unless they want to become as ridiculous as those mags.

Notice also how they tried to drum up some drama between the Bratz and Italia by panning from Bratz to Italy.

MKR, try and keep it as real as you can please. Or would that be too boring?

22 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 2:29 pm }

The reality show without sin can cast the first stone because Ma$terchef and MKR both run misleading promos. The Block is atrocious for this, too.

How many of us wanted to see Wags yell at MPW to “shut up” a few weeks back- as the promos suggested? Never happened.

The whole “Stop ze clocks” promo was massively overblown. I’m already cringing at Kerrie’s impending “fainting”.

Daisy is right about the cameras panning to dirty looks from Italia when Braces and Tatts are praised. The titillation is too obvious.

The judges on both MKR and Ma$terchef-Amatas try to turd polish by reminding viewers that “this is a competition”. It’s light entertainment at best.

23 Gabby { 03.05.13 at 3:23 pm }

Go the Melbourne boys tonight. I have a feeling they may just win, as long as they dish up more flavour than they did last night Let’s hope the nerds run out of time.
Kess @ 4 had a good lol at what you said about our QLD snag man. Also, good spotting how one of each of most teams, not all, is either a Dickhead or a Doormat, could not have put it better myself.
Does anyone want to start lists on the Dickheads and Doormats?
Daisy, definitely on board with you about S and A, two more nasty, up themselves young ladies you would be hard to come across.
BDD, first thing I noticed last night about young Jake was the turd, I couldn’t make out it what it was.

24 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 3:33 pm }

OK Gabby, Joanna and Jenna: ventroquist and vetriloquists doll.

Or puppet and puppet master. Because when Jenna falls down, Joanna props her back up.

The doll gets all the attention but the puppet master pulls the strings.

25 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 3:36 pm }

Craig; puppet. Kerry; puppet master.

Be careful when you decide because some might be passive aggressives and rule through tactics such as crying.

26 Peppermonkey { 03.05.13 at 3:43 pm }

I’m confused…why didn’t everyone cook? I know why the two on the bottom didn’t and the two on the top didn’t but didn’t abalone dad and son have to cook? Or Luke and Scott and all the other teams watching?

thanks

27 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 4:08 pm }

Pepppermonkey-Don’t know what you mean when you say the two on the bottom didn’t have to cook.

At the start of this week, the top 3 teams from the instant restaurants do not have to cook. They are Luke and Scott, Father and son and Samuel and Ali.

Then Angela and Melina cooked the best dish and don’t have to cook last night and Keiran and Nasstasia cooked the worst dish and will go into sudden death cook off.

Bottom four of round 1 challenge will have to cook again and the worst team will go into sudden cook off again Keiran and Nasstasia.

28 Gabby { 03.05.13 at 5:57 pm }

I would say Josh and Craig are doormats, they do what they are told by Ali and Kerri. You can definitely see who the boss is in the different partnerships, for want of a better way of describing it.

29 Tyroc { 03.05.13 at 6:11 pm }

Not liking Kerrie and Craig and Ashlee / Sophia. Josh and Andi are growing on me, maybe it’s because she’s pregnant but Josh’s attitude towards her has changed a bit, he’s more attentive and protective. Kinda nice to see. I like Steph, she seems to be a genuinely nice person (as does the Tassie girl)

I’m really warming to Sam and his cousin. I suspect they’ll make it thru because they’re advertised to be on Deal or No Deal. Also I could be wrong but I seem to remember them being in the Outback promo where Kerrie ‘faints”.

30 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 7:26 pm }

I may be watching just a tad too much reality tv for my own mental health but I will share this anyway….

Am 99% sure I’ve just spotted Jenna at the local supermarket. Her hair was tied back , no pink lipstick or pink clothing and this person wasn’t crying. Was about six feet away and she made eye contact, too. She was probably thinking: “Who’s that gawking arsehole in the Rolling Stones T shirt and straw hat?”

I tried to approach her after she went through the check out and verify but she was walking so fast I was just eating her dust.

31 Morgan { 03.05.13 at 7:37 pm }

It seems very likely Keiran and Nastasia will go tonight, they haven’t cooked anything good so far, where as Sam and Chris have had some success.

32 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 7:45 pm }

What! BDD, you can’t keep up with cupcake? Your age is showing

33 drb123 { 03.05.13 at 8:08 pm }

Bold choice by the nerds serving Keiran’s testicles for entree, a classic case of used it or lose it

34 Daisy { 03.05.13 at 8:16 pm }

BDD@30. She must have been terrified.

35 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 8:33 pm }

His ha ha. Recipes already up as the show is on. You know who is going home. Something dramatic is going to happen, I think

36 Anna { 03.05.13 at 8:52 pm }

Littlepetal, nothing interesting on tonight’s show. Collin was a breath of fresh air… he doesn’t mince words :-)

Guessing that MKR is going to start loosing viewers soon…

37 Reality Raver { 03.05.13 at 9:33 pm }

BDD – Love it you are now stalking reality TV stars. some of the male readers of this blog will be jealous that you nearly had an encounter with Jenna.

38 Dr T { 03.05.13 at 9:37 pm }

Time for a new battery for your gopher BDD@30?

39 Morgan { 03.05.13 at 9:55 pm }

Kieren and Nastassia were likeable, they just weren’t good cooks.

The market street food challenge is always fun to watch, looking forward to that.

40 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 10:21 pm }

Thanks for the compliments. I move faster than Kieran, guaranteed.

RR, I think Liz Egan is a fox. She looked great tonight.

41 A.P { 03.05.13 at 10:27 pm }

Ah, poor Kieran! Tomorrow night’s challenge looks like it will be more fun.
BDD, pity you couldn’t have got Jenna’s autograph, did she look as pretty in real life as she does on tv?

42 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 10:36 pm }

If I have the right person A.P. better, in my opinion, without all the pinks, big hair, make up and rouge. I’ve still to visit the “upmarket patisserie ” she works in.

Tassie Pops and son were here over the weekend paraded in front of a huge crowd and signing autographs, as well as Lisa and Stuffano.

43 Dr T { 03.05.13 at 10:46 pm }

Golo@14 – it’s a long way from dead (sadly). Still the highest rating show

44 A.P { 03.05.13 at 10:47 pm }

Oh, lucky you!
I sneaked a look at Woman’s Day and apparently the choice of clothing is decided by the producers so if they decide Jenna should be all pink and frothy then that’s the way she’s told to dress and act, and the same for the other contestants, its all an act.
Disappointing really.

45 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 10:47 pm }

BDD-you must be busy stalking all these ‘D’ list stars and also getting the latest goss from goes mags

46 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 10:49 pm }

Oops, # 46, I meant gross mags

47 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 10:49 pm }

Oops, # 45, I meant gross mags

48 A.P { 03.05.13 at 10:53 pm }

Didn’t you mean goss mags Littlepetal?

49 brain dead dave { 03.05.13 at 11:04 pm }

You’re all getting me jumpy about going down to the servo and reading Woman’s Day. Of course they’re going to bag MKR, just as ACA often bag opposition shows with exclusive scandals..
There’s a lot of celebs of all kinds here in mad March, with V8 car races Festival Of Arts , Fringe , Womad , Future Music. Kiss, Motley Crue, Niel Young etc.

50 Littlepetal { 03.05.13 at 11:19 pm }

Yes, I mean goss mags. The spell checker keep selecting gross instead of goss and I press send before checking.

MKR not telling the truth again. The teams have 3 hrs for prep in the instant restaurants + 1hr extra for entrees, mains and desserts.
Now they only have 11/2 hrs for entrees and 1 her each for mains and desserts. They still have to prepare for 12 serves.

51 Anonymous { 03.05.13 at 11:34 pm }

I would think a lot of the time during instant restaurants is also taken up by setting up and interviews etc

52 Daisy { 03.06.13 at 12:43 am }

BDD Perhaps we could pay you to wear a camera and a wire.