The Block: All Stars – Mark Leaves But That Was Not The Only Drama

Last night Mark from the tradies team was taken to hospital with a cardiac condition he won’t be returning but will be replaced by Dale, as in Sophie and Dale, Β who will probably be on the show tonight.

In the Daily Telegraph today Mark tells his fans that he is OK and that it was a previously undiagnosed condition. The enormous stress he put his body under must not have helped.

There was other drama on the episode:

• Josh moaning about the judges who he thought could not see the brilliance of his bland lounge room and hallway;
  • The judges do seem to score higher for design than renovations and Dan’s man cave would be more likely be a factor in people buying a house than some art work on a wall;
  • Josh and Jenna and Dan and Dani’s hatred of Amity and Phil, obviously they think they are the bigger threats. They have cooked up a “secret” plan to make sure P & A don’t win the using the least electricity challenge. They were letting Dan and Dani plug into their electricity supply, but with so many people and camera crew on the block it was not going to remain a secret for long;
  • Brad the builder was a bit underhand using supplies from Dan and Dani’s to start the build for Phil and Amity’s mezzanine. Whether it was an accident or not is up for discussion. However for starting it early and this their tradies were sent off site for six hours. At this stage with a third bedroom and a mezzanine Phil and Amity are going to be hard to beat.

The Block: All Stars on weeknights at 7pm on NINE.

1 Maz { 03.05.13 at 2:29 pm }

There probably should have been harsher penalties (including financial)if Brad was fliching off Dan and Dani.

Agree, think the man cave will pay off on auction day but we don’t know how the points were allocated across the three areas after all the man cage was just storage.

Think J&J miss the point between netrual and bland. No one in their right mind would buy a property for a picture (unless its the a Van Gogh) but hanging a picture on a wall (something which can be easily changed) is different from an inbuilt feature (say freezers in weird positions to stash body parts or their wardrobe with used suitcases from a previous season). Their living room really needed something.
Also, why no televisions?

Really not liking J&J, D&D. They are arrogrant and self entitled. The crocodile tears last night was really off-putting. Jenna is not doing her career any favours at the moment.

2 JM { 03.05.13 at 3:43 pm }

Dan’s man cave feels claustrophobic and is hard to get to up those rickety stairs. Also a worry dragging storage/furniture up the rickety ladder and small manhole opening entrance.

I was surprised at Jenna calling any potential buyers “nobs” or “idiots” or whatever she called them if they were buying for artwork. Of course no one would but she automatically offended 90% of her potential buyers with that offensive inference. Am also sick of hearing that she knows about design because she is studying it. The Judges, like them or loathe them, are at the top of their design fields. She has a long way to go. Such delusion.

3 Weeezza { 03.05.13 at 5:00 pm }

+1 ‘Jenna is not doing her career any favours at the moment.’

4 AJ { 03.05.13 at 5:18 pm }

I had hoped that given their prior experience Josh and Jenna and Dan and Dani would have tried harder to maintain an exterior of kindness and intelligence this season, but it appears not. I didn’t mind Josh and Jenna’s two bedrooms and their bathroom was my favourite, but the hallway and formal living were terrible. Maybe not as terrible as Mark and Duncan’s hallway, but still pretty bad. And their “storage” was extremely impractical. Dan and Dani had a great storage area, but I’m not sure how easy it would be for the future owners to effectively utilise the space given that it is only accessible by a ladder.

I’m forever confused about the “rules” on the block. It seems quite common for the various tradies to “borrow” (or outright steal) from the supplies for the other houses, yet last night seemed to be the first time that a penalty was imposed. I also had concerns about the roofing issue from last week as it seemed that Mark and Duncan and Phil and Amity didn’t get any kind of compensation or extension of time even though they were substantially delayed by Keith’s tradies.

5 Ted { 03.05.13 at 9:47 pm }

Jenna and Josh are just straight out scumbags. They have their heads so far up there arses it is not funny. I dont mind Dan and Dani there constant bickering makes me laugh

6 Anonymous { 03.05.13 at 11:10 pm }

Aha so that’s why they are annoyed…Dan said they are upset that Amity found styling easy as a slap in the face to Jenna who is in design school. It’s not really Amity’s fault Jenna is finding it hard to please the judges (Amity wasn’t at the start either so is obviously learning as they go) plus J&J have actually won more rooms haven’t they?! Also not Amity’s fault that J&J have decided on to do the minimal boring approach! I like both D&D and J&J but I do find all those excuses petty and without substance.

I highly doubt P&A mean to “rub” anything in or be “bitchy” – I tend to think it’s more D&D’s and J&J’s insecurities taking comments the wrong way not to mention ego’s being a little bruised. Besides, J&J definitely should have used the freezer money for artwork.

So very sad for Mark. I didn’t think Dani and Jenna’s tears were crocodile tears, it would have been a shock. It was also lovely that Amity was so worried for Duncan as well as Mark.

I don’t mind that the Gen Y teams have ganged up on the power challenge…it is a competition! I just don’t like their nastiness about it. They are actually the ones who are saying nasty things behind P&A’s back….and from what I can tell at least that couple seem to be having some fun!

7 Sue N { 03.06.13 at 6:45 am }

I certainly hope that D&D and J&J get penalised or disqualified for the week for their cheating. Obviously Ch9 knows about it, so if they don’t address it- it makes the competition even more of a farce!

I hope Mark is doing ok now, and I feel sad for him not being able to finish the comp. I hate how Ch9 are milking his health scare for ratings- I’m not saying other stations may not have done the same thing- just dislike it immensely.

I am very much looking forward to Dale coming in to partner Mark. I had wished for him & Sophie to be there- not D&D, but half is better than none. He is quirky in his own way too- so seeing Mark & he work together and what ideas they come up with should be interesting! πŸ˜‰

8 Veronicali { 03.06.13 at 7:36 am }

The penalty was over the mezzanine. About the thievery, Keith just told them all to keep to their own houses! I guess that’s building sites … Doesn’t look like Houses 1 & 2 got any form of compo over the roof delays.

Anonymous, yes it’s the Js &Ds nastiness about it that grates. They need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Having Dale around should be good, even better if Sophie was there to help Duncan decorate!

9 Mandy { 03.06.13 at 9:18 am }

Amity, Phil, Mark & Duncan are the true competitors in the block all stars…. Josh, Jenna, Dan & Dani show the worst kind of sportsmanship possible! It’s one thing to be competive but the nastiness from Jenna especially is not good for the competition & especially her career!!!

10 Christina { 03.06.13 at 9:59 am }

If Js and Ds want future businesses and jobs in the industry they almost need to think of the judges as their client! Rather than being so bitter and backstabbing. They will find many customers with different tastes and ideas to their own, try need to learn to adapt while also keeping their own style.

11 drb123 { 03.06.13 at 11:31 am }

Unfortunate to see the 6 hour exclusion for using other peoples building supplies. Whose tradie was stealing Phil and Amity’s cement when they were doing their bathroom? No penalty there.

Dan and Dani laying a slab well ahead of time? No penalty there.

J&J slamming the judges and buying public is just plain stupid. Their matching up with fellow petulant children D&D is a marriage made in heaven

12 Fiona { 03.06.13 at 1:06 pm }

I think Josh and Jenna are just mad because they judges don’t think their rooms but there no need to hate on the other peoples rooms!
Dan and Dani are just ridiculous! I actually cannot stand Dani! Why are they even on Allstars anyway? They have already made a whopping profit! Should be for teams that didn’t win much! Or it should all go to charity!

Love Mark and Duncan! And Amity and Phil! They seem like such genuine people!

J&J and D&D should get disqualified for the task this week! Plus I thought they got the power to take away a point … Whose going to get that? Looks like their plan failed! Idiots!

13 bella vita { 03.07.13 at 7:53 pm }

Josh is just trying to create controversy as his 30 mins of fame will be up soon.
I remember reading some tweets from him when he was in the last season. He was having a tweet bash with someone, as they called him arrogant…and his replies were basically “I’m someone, you’re not and I have a career in the media industry in the future”. He really let the fact that he was on a TV show go to his head and I am cheering him and Jena to a big fat loss.

It goes to show when a tradie makes a comment to the camera on this season, when Josh wanted a favour and the tradie said Josh hadn’t spoken a word to him in weeks and how rude he was. Says it all really. Nine chose to edit that for a reason. Josh and Jenna are way too arrogant.

Go Amity and Phil or Mark and Duncan for the win. Hard workers, play the game family and treat each other with respect.

14 Christina { 03.10.13 at 11:00 am }

Looking forward to The Block tonight! Can’t wait to see who scores the 10s and what all the controversy is about!

15 SB_Australia { 03.10.13 at 5:40 pm }

I don’t watch a lot of “reality” TV but I don’t mind The Block. I quite like Mark & Duncan (& Dale). The other couples annoy me a bit. I don’t know why Amity annoys me, she seems like such a sweetie but there’s just something about her that makes me think she could be a giant pain in the arse.

16 Maureen { 03.10.13 at 7:08 pm }

I liked all the competitors at the beginning, but as time goes on, Josh is coming across as a real spoilt brat! He seems to think that he and Jenna should win everything and he whinges all the time even when he actually wins a room reveal! The way he speaks about the others, including his own wife when she isn’t around, is very distasteful. I hope Phil and Amity kill it tonight.

17 SM { 03.10.13 at 8:20 pm }

Using another house’s electricity? It is blatant cheating. The goal was given to REDUCE your electricity use. Clearly if Dan & Dani are using Josh & Jenna’s electricity, they are NOT reducing electricity use. An average usage from the younger contestants’ houses does not put them as the lowest electricity use. This is all very unfair that this has been allowed to slither through by the producers.

18 kell { 03.10.13 at 8:32 pm }

I think the only people who aren’t cheating or being sulks at the moment are Mark and Dale.

19 Christina { 03.10.13 at 9:23 pm }

I agree its a game so am not sure if its brilliant strategy or cheating (though a few of you have good points for the latter)! But what really annoyed me tonight was when Josh ran out and told the others that Amity “had a go at him” when all we heard her say to Ds was that they didn’t have to use the point. It was a true statement, and of course they would be upset at losing so closely, who wouldn’t?! She actually said it in a jovial manner and I don’t think it was nasty at all. In fact I think Phil and Amity have taken it extremely well considering! I wonder what Dan and Dani think now they know Phil and Amity could have swapped houses with them right in the beginning (but chose not too, and not tell them as they didn’t want to upset them or make them feel they them owed them anything)? Right gooses am sure. But I bet P&A wish they had told them now! I also would LOVE to have seen what J&J and D&Ds reactions would have been if the roles were reversed tonight…it wouldn’t have been pretty, and not nearly as calm as P&A reaction.

20 Christina { 03.10.13 at 10:05 pm }

Would love to know others thoughts on the layouts. Personally I much prefer how D&DS and A&P went for kitchens first after the hallway which means their lounge rooms will lead out onto deck. Whereas M&D&D and J&J went for living area first and kitchen at the back. The only way I would think that would make sense is if they had made it so the kitchen had a servery out to the deck, but neither did. I think J&Js was a beautiful huge kitchen but when it comes to layout just find it impractical and not the best use of space.

21 Maz { 03.10.13 at 10:35 pm }

1. As mentioned previously, Jenna (and Josh) are coming across as rather horrid people. Last week she was espousing that its all about selling a house competition , this week she is insistent that it is a design competition. I would never contract the services of people who come across as absolutely morally bankrupt.
2. Dan and Dani. Absolute hyprocrites regarding the deduction of the point.
3. Next week it looks like its all about morally justifiying their actions.

Layouts
1. J&J was light and airy. Long term not sure about the desirably of a plant wall within the house. Too high maintenance.
2.D&D..what was it. 25 revisions with Freedom Kitchens? Did not like it. That painting by Sarita King is probably going to be covered in grease. That polished floor was nothing to write home about. Bland.
3. Mark, Duncan and Dale. At least theirs is consistent with the Rhinos. Not sure about the fish tank. Keep thinking about Baz Luhermann’s Romeo+Juliet.
4. Phil & Amity-didn’t like the handles but as the judges stated it was the most flexible kitchen.

22 Anonymous { 03.17.13 at 2:40 pm }

I used to visit the block Facebook site. But it was disgusting. The amount of bullying and intimidation just turned me off. I don’t mind any of the couples, but if you went on there and didn’t say “phil and amity are awesome. Josh and Jenna suck” then you get hounded. To full on for me….I left.