Masterchef: The Professionals – Another Chef Gone And It Was A Surprise.

It was a pressure test for the final five set by Peter Gilmore and for once it was a savoury not a sweet. It was a Poached Chicken with Scallops and a few hundred other tricky elements to make in 2 and 1/2 hours.

Nathan was looking worried as he said he was rubbish following recipes and Rhys was just generally freaking out and was taking the turtle and the hare approach making sure he was all organised before he started. He used nearly half an hour of prep time just to read the recipe.

The chicken looked delicious and not that hard to make,  just putting it in master stock if you don’t do all the other tricky elements on the dish. The recipe is on the official Masterchef site here.

It was great seeing the professional chefs cooking the dish but there was not a lot of tension in the episode. Rhett was not impressed with the fiddly plating up and said he was a chef not a florist.

Also Rhys revealed that he had never picked up a syringe in his life and hated needles so his drug use was not as hard core as the viewer thought.

It was Nathan who was in the most trouble he did not read the recipe properly and pulled out the smoked oil and eel from the cooker 20 minutes early and added in a the juice of a whole lemon rather than a half into the eggplant.

At this stage he must have been hoping someone was not going to plate up. At one stage it looked like no one was going to as at the two minute mark the chefs were still pulling chicken from the bone but after prep time had finished the chefs had 15 minutes to plate up.

Sarah was the first to plate and she was told to get cracking on it as she continued to fiddle with the radish element. Her ginger curd dripped something that most of them had an issue with.

Peter said her presentation was not perfect.

Michael who thinks plating up is his strong point also had issues with his ginger curd. The judges thought the chicken pieces were too small and the scallop too thick. Marco licked his knife again.

Rhett stuffed up his curd as well however it was Matt’s favourite dish out of the first three.

Nathan was the only one who managed to plate the curd up properly but his issue was with the two elements he had stuffed up.

Rhys looked upset with is plating up and thought he was the one to walk the plank but in fact he got dish of the day.Even though his was the last dish to be tasted Matt Preston cleaned his plate so it must have been good.

Nathan was eliminated as it lacked the subtlety and balance. This was a bit of a shock as he was a front runner. Sarah who is good buddies with him looked upset.

What is interesting in the preview of tonight’s episode is Sarah does not want to be stuck with Rhett on her team. Clearly she thinks he is not a team player. The four will become the three finalists. The $200,000 is becoming very close to a reality for the chefs indeed.

Masterchef: The Professionals on TEN at 7.30pm Tuesday and the final is this Sunday.

1 Phil { 03.12.13 at 11:21 am }

I think Sarah said ‘Rhett’ not Ryhs… Interesting episode, I was surprised by Nathan’s slip; I thought Michael’s time was up.. I see Sarah in the final almost for certain, then Rhys can make it I think, and the last spot will be fought between Rhett & Michael. Though since it’s a team challenge, I could be wrong…

2 domjr { 03.12.13 at 11:21 am }

Scallops AGAIN?!

3 Joseph Skyrim { 03.12.13 at 11:26 am }

Gotta say Mr. Gilmore’s dish looked super yummy… tempted to try it out in his restaurant some time. Anywho, good ep too (I came a little late) – though it was a shame to see Nathan bow out. Highlights for me were:

Rhys – “For me the pressure point of this dish is… well this dish.” LOL
Rhys – “I hate needles!” Guess he was more into the pill-popping and aroma sniffing variety
Rhett – “I’m a chef, not a florist.” (though that would also be a good cover for a serial killer he thinks to himself)
Mike – going so fast he shredded the chicken x.x
Nathan – after stuffing up majorly “I’m hoping my plating technique can make up for that”. When has it -ever- done that in MC? Taste comes first.
15 minute extra plating time is total BS, but I guess required in this case. +drama!
Sarah – one of her curds broke. She’s annoyed.
Mike – none of his curds set. He’s annoyed
Rhett – none of his curds set. He’s annoyed but thinks “hey, if -I- couldn’t do it then there’s a good chance none of the others can either”.
Nathan – all of his curds were awesome. Too bad the rest of the dish wasn’t.
Rhys – dish of the day! Woo go Rhys!!!

Tonight, possibly the last team challenge. Rhys and Sarah vs Mike and Rhett. Sarah: “I’m worried about being teamed up with Rhys (why?)” – Rhett (to Mike): “We’re both head chefs mate, neither of them are.” I’m actually thinking Sarah/Rhys will make a better team as she likes taking charge while Rhys likes following.

Could be wrong but I guess we’ll find out later! :)

4 Anna { 03.12.13 at 11:26 am }

Wonder how Rhett feels if he is watching, Sarah’s comment in the preview how she wouldn’t want to be working with Rhett right now….

Surprised that he survived that long, as most of his dishes are all about fish. Time for Rhett to go, some of his commentary and dead pan facial expressions have been funny

5 Joseph Skyrim { 03.12.13 at 11:27 am }

@Anna (4) – Oh, did Sarah say “Rhett” and not “Rhys” in the preview? My hearing is going >.<…

6 Ray { 03.12.13 at 11:43 am }

Yep, Sarah said “Rhett”. And I agree with the other comments re: Rhett’s time being up. He’s a good chef but he seems to come undone when isn’t cooking seafood and he’s over confident. I still don’t think Michael has what it takes to beat Sarah, and Rhys has managed to bring everything together at the right time – the end of the competition.

I think it will come down to Sarah and Rhys, and as much as I’d like Sarah to win due to her consistently good performances, I think Rhys has a very good shot and may in fact be the winner. As Nathan said in a previous episode, Rhys may play the village idiot, but he is the exact opposite and has shown a propensity to roll with the punches and adapt to ingredients/techniques he hasn’t used before.

7 Anna { 03.12.13 at 11:44 am }

Joseph, she said it when she was in the car with Rhys. They’ll be a team to beat.

Feel for Michael as he is stuck with Rhett (we are the green team, we sabotage ourselves)

8 Magda { 03.12.13 at 12:36 pm }

So far as Sarah’s comment goes, I suspect at this late stage one might reasonably be worried about sabotage from team mates…

9 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 12:44 pm }

I seem to keep harping on about this, but Nathan did an awesome job to be a contender and get that far in the competition. Everyone bangs on about how young Bonny / Cassie etc were, Nathan was also in that category age wise but was able to impress almost the whole way through. I hope this show helps him get where he wants to go. (PS I have beard envy, by marital decree I am not allowed to wear mine that long. Sadly it is compensating for the lack of hair… but hey, it’s not a bald spot, it’s a solar panel for a sex machine. Fortunately none of you know what I look like, so can’t enjoy the level of disturbing visual that would otherwise provide).

Prior to tonights episode, I really didn’t care who of the final five won, and same with the final four. It’s just great to be watching people who are skillful at what they do doing something I never could…

10 Chris W { 03.12.13 at 12:44 pm }

Given their huge egos and dislike for working in teams, it’s hard not to see one of Rhett and Michael being eliminated.

I thought the all white dish on an a white plate looked distinctly uninteresting despite the floral addition. Given how long it takes to make, I imagine it must cost a small fortune in Peter Gilmore’s restaurant.

11 Barney { 03.12.13 at 12:52 pm }

Yes, Dr T. Nathan was the same age as Bonny – 23. No simpering or tittering from him, though, and far more advanced technique and general competence.

Cassie was only 19.

12 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 12:55 pm }

Matty was 25… he was on Masterchef because he had a hat…

13 Anna { 03.12.13 at 12:56 pm }

Chris, poached chicken is part of degustation menu at Quay. 4 Courses $175

14 Phil { 03.12.13 at 1:28 pm }

was this dish meant to be hot or cold? I couldnt get it from the presentation…

15 Reality Raver { 03.12.13 at 1:41 pm }

My bad it was Rhett not Rhys she did not want to get paired with.

Phil – I think it is cold or room temperature.

Barney and Dr T – Nathan and Sarah are working at a restaurant where I live I was going to go and check it out but was trying to work out if you had to go degustation only on a Saturday night or you can go a la carte. http://restaurantblancmange.com.au/index.php/menu/

16 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 1:49 pm }

God RR… $65 for degustation… do it, do it! (I wasn’t sure if you were suggesting that was expensive, or if you wanted a la carte so you could sample different things). You could take two friends, or you could go on your own to Quay for dinner for almost the same price ($175)

Phil – yes, the dish was meant to be hot or cold… not flaming or frozen (sorry, couldn’t resist… sarcasm is the lowest form of wit after all… Now if only I had an elevated impression of my cooking abilities I could go on MKR)

17 Littlepetal { 03.12.13 at 1:50 pm }

RR- I think it is only degustation on Sat night.

18 Daisy { 03.12.13 at 2:05 pm }

Sorry to see Nathan the Wunderkind leave the MC kitchen. He will be famous because he creates his own recipes.
Dr T don’t be jealous of his beard, short and curlies should be off the face. If you must have a beard it needs to be like Rhys’s not made out of public hair.
I love Rhatt for all the wrong reasons but I think the most consistent and competent chef now is Sarah. It would be fun to see Rhys knock it out of the park though. Is he really the underdog or just doing a good job of faking it?
Michael has been a sneakily quiet achiever.

Yes it’s great to see the big guns at work now. No sympathy cards or back-stories to cloud the comp. Whoever wins will deserve it. They’ve all done a good job.
I liked last nights no-nonsense guest chef because he didn’t act like a dick.

19 Daisy { 03.12.13 at 2:07 pm }

RR my comments are disappearing. I will try again in short bursts.

20 Daisy { 03.12.13 at 2:09 pm }

Dr T, don’t be jealous of anyone with public hair on their face.
If you must have a beard it needs to look like head hair notlike, shall I say armpit hair.
Nonetheless, Loved Nathan the wunderkind.

21 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 2:12 pm }

I am jealous of quantity, not quality Daisy… I gots the quality, I wants the quantity

22 Daisy { 03.12.13 at 2:12 pm }

I love Rhatt for all the wrong reasons. I don’t mind who wins but think Sarah is very competent. I think Nathan, Michael and Rhys have shown a bit more creativity, especially Nathan.

23 Daisy { 03.12.13 at 2:19 pm }

Mrs Dr T probably doesn’t want to be staring at left-overs in your lush growth, and I don’t blame her.

As for the head, plenty of guys are driving around with the top down nowadays.

24 Anna { 03.12.13 at 2:21 pm }

RR, go on Saturday night. Go before the finale is aired this Sunday or it will be impossible to get a table

25 EmTee { 03.12.13 at 4:18 pm }

Nathan came across as a genuinely self effacing nice guy. With his creativity I can well imagine him coming up with an amazing and totally original signature dish in the future. And as mentioned previously, he is still quite young which makes his achievements all the more remarkable.

I had a chuckle at Rhett’s line about not being a florist but in a way that attitude reflects that he is no ‘high end’ chef, as with his seeming contempt for the julienne cut.

The energiser bunny (Michael) was certainly lucky that Nathan had more acid in his eggplant than he did in his batteries.

And yeah for Rhys getting dish of the day. Hope it wasn’t his last hoorah.

Looking forward to tonight. I guess Rhett will leave the dessert to Michael. Wonder what fish dish Rhett will serve up this time,lol.

26 Izobel2 { 03.12.13 at 4:58 pm }

I’m going for Rhys to win. He looks like a cool dude.

That was such a fiddly time consuming meal for what you actually get to eat. But I guess most high end food is like that. The chicken did look nice though.

At least I don’t have to watch Nathan’s sweaty hair hanging all over his eyes now. Rhys is the same. I guess that’s why Michael goes for the Hellraiser look. At least he’s not sweating it up and grabbing at his hair all the time. They should be wearing hats or nets or something. Just not an akubra!

27 Anna { 03.12.13 at 5:03 pm }

Izobel2, most of the dishes at Quay are complex to prepare, but look simple on the plate… have the cookbook. Although this recipe is missing from it. Almost every dish will take a few days to prepare lol

28 Ana { 03.12.13 at 5:10 pm }

I’m so in love with how kick ass Sarah is! It’s kind of not fair that she gets to be gorgeous on top of all that talent and awesomeness.

Something about Rhett makes me want to revisit my old psychology textbooks.

Sad to see Nathan go.

29 Daze { 03.12.13 at 6:16 pm }

Have a feeling Michael will ‘carry’ Mr Wonderful (Rhett)
Hope Sarah & Rhys win but I like Michael too

30 Littlepetal { 03.12.13 at 6:30 pm }

I like Rhett’s cooking. I will eat at his restaurant any time. He is already an head chef and is doing well.

I would like one of the younger chefs to will and give them an opportunity to go further in their career.

I don’t mind if the final 3 are Sarah, Rhys and Michael.

31 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 6:38 pm }

A point of annoyance for Sunday…

F1 GP is on – very happy about that. But then the Biggest Fat Person is schedule to start at 1845. This is on the assumption the race won’t run to it’s full allotted time (normal time for an F1GP is up to 2 hours from the start time, and there can be delays as well for other reasons. Last years race was over in 1:34).

We know Biggest Fat Person will take longer than the hour they’ve scheduled for it, which means MCP not starting until 8, and running for 2 hours…

I wandered past Jellyfish last year before all this got going with MCP (restaurant where Rhett is head chef). Looks like a great place to go. I was on a tight timeline so couldn’t stop to eat… Will make a visit next time if he is still working there.

32 Carole { 03.12.13 at 6:49 pm }

It was surprising seeing Gilmore put up a chicken dish, I had assumed when I saw the ad it would be a dessert.

When they were all putting up their dishes and the ginger curd was slipping off, I thought well they won’t be penalised for that since it happened to everyone. Ironic that Nathan was the only one to get it right, but it was the only thing he got right. I thought he was a goner when he didn’t do the oil for long enough, then when he put too much lemon in his eggplant, I thought unless one of the others really stuffs up he is definitely going.

I was really happy to see Rhys get dish of the day, especially since he seemed so disappointed in his dish and thought he had stuffed up.

I hope Sarah wins too.

33 Realitysucks { 03.12.13 at 8:18 pm }

Tonight episode is to prove Youth will defeat experienced else why would they announce something which is subtly discriminatory. I think Rhett will leave and then all other people younger than him will be final three. Then Micheal will leave because he his older than the other two. Sarah will win because she is somewhat consistent and better than Rhys or everyone so to speak, plus she has to prove that girls can be better chefs than male chefs though in my humble opinion a) women don’t have to prove anything especially if they are calibre of Sarah’s standing and make a scintillating chef.Secondly, even if Sarah wins I highly doubt that suddenly females will creep up to dominate this already male dominated profession. My point is, whoever will win will bring this fortune solely to themselves. Any kind of revolution or any change is far cry and words of a good speech.

34 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 8:37 pm }

PSEUDO – SPOILER

Salivating about the final episode… looks awwwwwwwwwwwwesome. Completely understand the elimination tonight. I was certain that the other person from the team would have gone home, but completely get the reasoning and the decision. Not upset at all

35 Moonstruck { 03.12.13 at 9:44 pm }

Dr T I disagree. The one who should have gone home is a lazy self centred individual. By keeping him laziness arrogance and disregard for the customer is rewarded.

36 Ana { 03.12.13 at 9:58 pm }

Meh. If hard work and talent were enough to cancel out sexism, we wouldn’t have needed women’s rights movements.

Sarah has a lot to prove because no matter how talented she is, she’ll be constantly put into positions where she’s shut down/overlooked solely due to her gender. That needs to change.

It’s not as simple as saying screw sexism and let your talent speak for itself when female chefs have to do their apprenticeships/build their careers in predominately alpha-male run environments.

I think Sarah being out there, starting the conversation, and helping change the thought process within the industry will absolutely help others.

Heck, just watching her win her immunity pin definitely put a little more fight in me.

Every little bit counts.

37 brain dead dave { 03.12.13 at 10:10 pm }

Well said ,Ana.

This is Male$terchef: Professionals.

Rhatt’s blow jobs for the judges keep him safe again. He’s not called a “head” chef for nothing.

38 Anonymous { 03.12.13 at 10:43 pm }

I didn’t like the fact michael was eliminated from masterchef especially because it was a non food reason. I like masterchef because it was about the food. He has been one of the more interesting characters on the show . Will watch on sunday but have kinda lossed interest in who wins now.

39 Izobel2 { 03.12.13 at 10:45 pm }

Well I’m on to my 4th cooking show for the night and Come Dine With Me UK is far and away the funniest and most entertaining!

Go Rhys for MCP!

40 Phil { 03.12.13 at 10:54 pm }

I think Michael was safe until the Pannacotta, that tipped the scale towards his elimination: you are following orders, and on top of that, your plate isn’t good, then you go home. Remember, in MasterChef (until the grand final) you just need to avoid being the worst.

I like Rhett and his honesty and conviction, he believes in himself and his food. Having said that, I think he hasn’t figured out (as Rhys and Sarah) the nature of the competition, that judges reward risk and invention over service/presentation. He won’t win until he realises that.

41 EmTee { 03.12.13 at 11:05 pm }

Hope it’s safe this time of night it’s to talk about the Tuesday episode outcome now. ( Will still try to be circumspect though and name no names, lol, just in case.)

BIG YAY for the winning team! Am thrilled to see my 2 faves get through and deservedly so.

A shame to see the THAT particular person on the other team make it into the finale though. He did so by the skin of his teeth as far as I’m concerned. If only the dessert had wobbled things might have gone the other way.

Hopefully ‘Mr Cocksure’ (I’m trying to be polite) will get knocked out in the first round of the finale. His entertainment value is pretty much at an end and I for one would not be interested on buying any magazine with his smug mutt on the cover.

42 EmTee { 03.12.13 at 11:23 pm }

Phil: Rhett has the type of ‘honesty and conviction’ and belief in himself that only a true narcissist can display IMO. He has ignored advice and even shown contempt for the opinions of world class chefs and their methods at times.

He has shown time and time again he is not really a team player (unless he gets to call the shots).

Admittedly editting may have a lot to do with him being portrayed somewhat as the ‘villain of the piece’ but what we are shown is all we have to base our opinions on in forums such as this. And what I’ve seen of him I don’t like much at all.

43 Littlepetal { 03.12.13 at 11:32 pm }

I don’t think Rhett is willing to learn from the others because he think he knows all. Its a pity because he is a great cook. I wouldn’t like to work in his kitchen.

44 Carole { 03.12.13 at 11:32 pm }

Yeah, I was annoyed Rhett didn’t go home tonight.

It’s quite ironic, that in a lot of cultures cooking is considered ‘women’s work’, and yet professionally it is male dominated.

45 brain dead dave { 03.12.13 at 11:36 pm }

Rhatt’s a serial double dipper. For me ,that’s what Dr.Phil calls a “deal breaker”.
Pigs belong on the farm, not working in a kitchen.

46 Dr T { 03.12.13 at 11:40 pm }

There was pig in the kitchen bdd… it ended up on the plate… then a lard transfer to jowlsy

47 EmTee { 03.12.13 at 11:47 pm }

“Pigs belong on the farm, not working in a kitchen.”

So true unless their carcasses are working on being the best dish possible.

48 EmTee { 03.12.13 at 11:55 pm }

Re editting tonight: It is getting more transparent?

It seemed fairly obvious which team would win/ was winning menu wise despite serving delays. (Not that I’m complaining about the outcome.)

49 Nomnom { 03.13.13 at 12:17 am }

Amazed that Michael went tonight, however I think he’ll succeed anyway because I think he’s quite likeable. I hope Rhys wins… I love the quote where they are asked to pick the ingredient that best represents them. Rhys; an egg “because I enjoy getting laid” see the link here: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/michael-demagistris-out-of-masterchef-professionals-final-three/story-e6frg12c-1226595773994

50 Phil { 03.13.13 at 12:39 am }

EmTee: I think after watching many seasons of MC, the contestants tend to say more or less the same things, recycle the same speech. In this sense Rhett for me brings some fresh air with his candor. Also, he’s been critical of himself many times and he has followed advice as well, but I don’t see anything bad in questioning sometimes what the judges say and sticking to his guns, so far it has proven to be somewhat effective (he’s in the finals; also Sarah&Rhys didn’t listen to MPW on the fact of having two hot entrees, and it was OK too). So he’s not that bad as a person :)

I do think that Sarah and Rhys are above him in odds to win, and are more ‘deserving’: have played good strategy, have more versatility and have taken more risks. Even if Rhett has a good day, I think at the end what weights more in the final verdict is the momentum you carried through the last two weeks.