Masterchef The Professionals – The Best Cook On The Night Did Not Win

Look I get that Rhys has had a tough life, he touched the dark side when it came to drug use, and he is a talented chef, however not sure he was worthy of taking the title of Masterchef Professionals tonight just based on what he plated up.

So the winner who does not know that Vietnamese Pancakes are an iconic dish in Vietnam, and was about to cock up Marco’s Lobster and Leek terrine until Sarah told him there were 28 leeks in it. Also in  his service course none of his three dishes were the stand out ones. In fact his entree was by far the worst. It would have been interesting to hear what the 120 chefs who were eating the meal thought about the dishes and who should have won.

Rhys won it in the second round on Marco Pierre White’s Lobster and Leek dish which was the pressure test, and going into the final round two points ahead, Sarah and Rhett were unable to peg him back.

Sarah should have won looking at the dishes on the night.

Interestingly in the final round Marco was giving a score out of ten for how they were dealing with service in the kitchen, and Matt Preston was giving ten points for the food in the restaurant. If service had been a factor in the top four episode, Michael may have gotten through to the final, as Sarah and Rhys were making the diners wait so long for their food. However that challenge had been based totally on taste.

Tonight’s finale was based on three rounds. The first round was an invention test set and judged by David Chang, who is now engaged to an Australian girl. It was a random knife draw of David’s favourite ingredients and they had to make an original meal with Chicken, Miso and eggs.

David Chang was not joking when he said he would probably make a dessert, he would make a miso ice cream and make  a caramel from the chicken fat.

The other contestants in the show were looking down from the gallery. Cameron has gone all Romper Stomper and shaved his head, and Anthony who had the big dummy spit clearly swallowed his pride or read his contract obligations and was there as well.

Rhys was stumped by the challenge and said he was thinking of making something asian. Probably not a bad tactic as miso is not found in European cuisine. He decided to make a Vietnamese crepe with Tamarind Broth.It was thought to be lacking by both the judges.  Marco said he liked the thought and care in the presentation, however he added that it was not his greatest effort.

Whilst Rhett was making a Tea Smoked Chicken dish with a miso mayonnaise. Rhett gave his quick and easy version of mayo implying that that it is not that hard that the usual Masterchef version was a myth that all you need to do is put all the ingredient in a blender and whizz.

He received mixed reviews. Matt Preston said “Chicken skin delicious, but thought the miso mayonnaise was too sweet, whilst Marco was critical about the lack smoke flavour.

Sarah made a Quail Scotch Egg with Miso glazed chicken. David said “Given the amount of time it is not as nearly as cohesive as it should be”.  Matt said ” it was technically proficient but not delicious”.

Rhys scored from David 5/10, Marco 6/10, Matt 6/10 for a  total score of 17.

Sarah scored from David 5/10, Marco 6/10, and Matt 6/10 for a total score of 17.

Rhett received from  David 6/10, Marco 6/10 and Matt 7/10 for a total of 19.

Round two was the pressure test set by Marco Pierre White. It was his terrine of leeks and lobster. It only had two ingredients lobster and leeks and it was all about the construction.

Rhys did not hear Matt Preston say there was a recipe and thought he did not seemed to think he needed it.  He had far too many leeks and Sarah told him there were only meant to be 28 so he ended up taking some out. I bet she is kicking herself for telling him that now.

Rhett undercooked his leeks so they did not stick together and was falling apart he managed to get one on the plate.

Rhys was having similar issues but managed to get one good slice on the plate. Interestingly the rest of the terrine was falling apart but Marco thought Rhys had not realised how well he had done. If Marco was still working in his own restaurant he may not have been quite so pleased if a chef only had one presentable piece for his customers from a whole terrine.

You get the feeling the judges were always surprised when Rhys plated up a good dish so were more generous with scoring, whereas their expectations were higher for Rhett and Sarah.

Rhett received a 6/10 from Matt and a 6/10 from Marco.

Sarah received a 7/10 from Matt and an 8/10 from Marco, Rhys received a 8/10 from Matt and a 9/10. He was ahead on 34 points, with Sarah on 32, and Rhett on 31.

Finally it was the huge  service challenge of cooking a three course meal for 120 people.  They got to pick two assistants.

Sarah got first pick, not sure what the rationale for that was, and she went for Nathan and Coop. Rhett picked Michael and Nick, and Rhys picked Kiah and Cassi. Rhys wanted to cook with his mates.

Rhett’s time in the kitchen was fairly smooth “They are asking me what to do, and I’m telling them what to do, and that is how it should be”.

Kiah misheard Rhys and boiled, instead of cryo vacing  the Black Pudding for his entree of Scallops, Black Pudding and pureed peas.  They split, the presentation ended up not being as good and the texture was a bit grainy.

Sarah was also having a texture issue with chorizo she was stuffing into a zucchini, she was serving it with prawns. They were apparently good but the judges did not get the chorizo element.

The guest judges with Matt Preston were Janne Apelgran who is Editor of The Age’s Good Food Guide and Simon Thomsen a restaurant critic and former judge on Iron Chef Australia.

Rhett Poached Lobster was well received with  Janne Appelgran  saying it was a  beautiful piece of lobster.

Simon Thomson  also  loved the dish.

Main for Sarah was Bavette of Beef which was described as the best dish so far. Rhett had his dish sent back as he forgot to put curds on Matt Preston’s plate.

Rhys also made lamb with a Carrot Puree and Simon said ” I am pretty pleased with what is on the plate”.

For dessert Sarah made a Creme Chiboust with Stone Fruit and Sorbet. Matt said ” This is just so beautiful” and Simon said ” I could almost cry it is such a beautiful dish”. However because she held up service on this dessert she was penalised by Marco.

Rhett made an Eton Mess  with passionfruit which was eye poppingly sour”. Interestingly in the interview here he said desserts were not his forte.  Rhys made Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream. The judges liked it but I thought the cake looked dry and it was certainly not original.

It was then time to score.

Marco said ” Rhett you proved yourself as a had chef in prep as well as service” and scored him a 9/10. Matt said his entree was was the best but his dessert let him down and gave him an 8/10.

Sarah received a 7/10 for service and a 9/10 for food. So Rhett and Sarah were now tied.

Marco gave Rhys 8/10 for service, and Matt gave him an  8/10 for the actual food and this meant he took out the title, the $200,000 prize money and the trip around the world. It is hard to recall what his best dishes were over the course of the competition. However he peaked at the right time, he had a good back story and we got to see his journey made him tick the boxes as a reality show winner.

Rhett and Sarah were both given $10,000 each as a consolation prize.

1 Ana { 03.18.13 at 12:04 am }

So, basically Rhys’ whole career will be built on the back of Sarah’s skill and hard work. Only an asshole could feel good about that. Good luck to him with the $200,000 I guess.

2 Cookie Monster { 03.18.13 at 12:47 am }

I’m so annoyed with this decision. Sarah was clearly the best chef throughout the competition, she carried Rhys through at least twice (by not using the pin and carrying him through the final four).
At least we all know who the best chef was…

3 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 12:49 am }

I was happy to see Rhys win. I thought he pulled out a good result over and over throughout the contest and he derserved it.

He was really good how he kept his cool when Kiah stuffed the blood pudding.

4 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 12:53 am }

I didn’t mind if any of the three won. Or Nathan for that matter.

5 Kay { 03.18.13 at 12:53 am }

“I bet she is kicking herself for telling him that now.” Probably shouldn’t since whatever happened that day Rhys would have ended up the winner.

6 Natalie { 03.18.13 at 2:48 am }

Actually you made a factual error about the terrine. Sarah and Rhett were the ones with crumbling terrines. Rhys’ stayed in one piece from his 1st cut and he had no problem transferring it to the plate. While you may think Rhys’ cake dry (via a tv set) and unoriginal is beside the point, as the distinguished judges beg to differ with you.

7 Ana { 03.18.13 at 3:56 am }

RR – Someone on Facebook said that they filmed 3 alternate endings and the winner only found out they won yesterday via a phone call right before the show aired – is that true?

8 Andrea { 03.18.13 at 6:39 am }

Sarah has been the more consistent chef and stretched her menu choices each round. Will miss the personality of MPW.

9 JM { 03.18.13 at 7:02 am }

I thought Sarah was robbed. She was the best and most consistent throughout the competition and yes Cookie Monster, she saved Rhys last week by not using her pin. I thought MPW was in a strange an bad mood last night and seemed to take it out on her. Her dessert was obviously more complicated/difficult and therefore harder to plate. Rhett served up the usual muck in a glass for dessert – where’s the difficulty in that.

A really surprising result. I felt a bit empty at the end.

10 Anna { 03.18.13 at 7:48 am }

Sarah lost 200k & a trophy. She was the strongest Chef in the competition & all doors will be open to her..

If Marco gave Casey a ref letter, he would have given one to Sarah as well..,

Sarah main was faultless, her dessert was so good Simin said that it made him cry & thrust tied her with Rhett… Seriously one point separating 1st & 2nd place would have been fair. Rhys is good but not that much better then Sarah

Will miss MPW!!!

11 Anonymous { 03.18.13 at 7:48 am }

Sarah was robbed..boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
as the final scores were revealed I vommed a little in my mouth….whilst Rhys may have been people’s champ and an alright bloke, no way was he better than Sarah overall…and Rhett, what a creep. Hopefully Sarah does well regardless, she deserves it.

12 TC { 03.18.13 at 7:51 am }

Sarah was robbed, she was best and fairest overall. What a crap ending….BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

13 Danny { 03.18.13 at 7:51 am }

I don’t mind Rhys scoring the $200k, but he should’ve forfeited the round-the-world trip to Sarah so she’d be on the road to something great

14 Anna { 03.18.13 at 7:53 am }

Damn typing on da phone .., was saying they tied her with & didn’t get a chance to change it when phone changed they to thrust ….

Reception this am sucks… Phone stalls

15 Carole { 03.18.13 at 7:53 am }

That’s interesting Ana, I had assumed the finale was done live.

That’s not right Natalie, Sarah’s terrine was the only one that didn’t fall apart, both Rhett & Rhys had to cut a few slices before they found a piece that didn’t collapse.

Sarah should have got the highest score for the terrine, not Rhys, I was shocked when he got the highest score. I agree RR, I thought Sarah should have won it too. But just glad Rhett didn’t.

16 Reality Raver { 03.18.13 at 8:23 am }

Yes apparently three endings filmed to keep the result a secret as it was filmed awhile ago.

17 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 8:25 am }

In the second challenge, Rhys should not have scored 17/20. They should’t score just base on what was on the plate but also the performance on the terrine. To be able to get only a couple of slices from the terrine would be a fail. His score should be much lower than 17, maybe a 14.

Rhett still get the highest score in the service challenge as he still served easier to prepare dishes. The leek challenge was his downfall.

The scores were pretty close and there was no decisive winner based on the finale challenges. Maybe if Rhys got 14 instead of 17 for the leek dish than Sarah will have won.

18 Joseph Skyrim { 03.18.13 at 8:34 am }

Ok, I’ll go break the trend and go … whoooooo! Go Rhys! May not have been the best chef of the lot but certainly the best tactician in the end. 😀 Few highlights for me were:

Wags shaved his head!?! Also he’s clearly on team Rhett which makes sense since I think they have similar personalities.

David Chang likes the number 5. And I think he was already advised to be generous. o.o

Marco’s leek and lobster terrine is not something I would eat. Very funny Rhys just went from memory though… and then won it. 😀 While Sarah’s may have been constructed better I think Rhys won on taste hence the lead.

Picking team time – Rhett goes for big gun headchefs Mike and Nick. A good strategy. Rhys picks Cassie and Kiah (wtf). Sarah also goes wtf on that decision “given the other good cooks up there”, so she gets Nathan and Coop (erm). Who would you have picked? Anthony and Wags? 😛

Kiah stuffs up. Rhys is super cool about it though because he’s like that and doesn’t care since he’s cooking with his friends.

Rhett is in his element, bossing people around. Like Marco the only thing he probably likes hearing is “Yes Chef!”

Sarah is stuffing up!? Damnit Sarah. Cmon!

Rhys is being very vocal and encouraging to his team (possibly copying how Sarah was in her previous team challenges). This pisses Rhett off a little bit because he likes the sound of knives slicing things.

Rhys did not know this pisses Rhett off and if he did would have actually been -more- vocal just to throw Rhett off his game a bit more. Lol :)

Marco is feeling the pressure. You’d think -he- was a contestant!

Sad face: No Gary or George to be seen. :(

In the end, Rhys’ dessert and Cassie’s main (see what he did there) plus his two points were enough to get him above Sarah and Rhett. Logistically speaking it’s better he won the round world trip etc etc because the dude seriously lives on a boat on his own (based on RRs interview) where as Sarah and Rhett actually already have high level jobs in their respective restaurants?

Doesn’t matter though, to me they are all winners. :3

Crap. Now what do I watch? Fatties exercising? >.<

19 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 8:36 am }

The finalists may not know who won but Ch10 did. After the round where Michael got eliminated, all the recipes for the service challenges (where Sarah was teamed up with Rhys) were shown to be Rhys recipes on the website. I thought most of the 4 dishes were Sarah ideas.

20 Realitysucks { 03.18.13 at 8:38 am }

I didn’t mind about the results or Rhys winning. It is harsh to say he didn’t deserve to win over Sarah. We all knew that Sarah would win which actually means that she has already won. For a chef, popularity means more than damn money. Whichever restaurants or cooking places she would go, she will able to establish herself without any doubt because people are now intrigued and want to taste her food. Similarly, Rhett will continue to do with what he is doing and something he is good at-bossing around. I am glad that Rhys won, something that should inspire to some escapists that there is light on other end of the tunnel.

I laughed so hard when Rhys said that had he known that Rhett doesn’t like noise in the kitchen, he would’ve made more than he actually did. Good on him.I also think Kia is a mediocre chef and Rhys decision to bring him in solely based on friendship and not Kia’s skill also reflected upon Rhys belief on himself. Overall, an enjoyable episode.

21 EmTee { 03.18.13 at 8:40 am }

Well the ‘golden child’ jinx strikes again. While I’m happy for Rhys, I also believe Sarah was more deserving of the win.

I’m glad Sarah and Rhett got a consolation prize although I think it could have been a bit more generous.

Am I the only one who has trouble placing Kiah? I’m sure I watched every episode but I can’t remember anything about his time on the show.

22 Barney { 03.18.13 at 9:04 am }

I am baffled how anyone could think Sarah was robbed when, for no reason at all, she was offered first choice of the evicted chefs to act as her helpers. Rhys would have picked his buddy Nathan first if he’d (as highest score at that point) had that opportunity. Nathan was an excellent cook, as well as Rhys’s friend. Instead he got to pick last (why?) and took his friend Kiah in with him, to almost disastrous results. I really thought he’d lost the whole comp over that one choice. In the Donovan run service challenge, Rhys was also a standout. MPW being such an experienced chef clearly saw something in Rhys. MPW also got to taste his food. I’m very glad Rhys won.

23 JK { 03.18.13 at 9:35 am }

What? 3 alternate endings? I used to read those choose your adventure books as a kid!

24 Reality Raver { 03.18.13 at 10:08 am }

Barney – Agree that it was a mystery on how Sarah got to pick who she wanted first.

However out of the last challenge which was given the same points value as the previous challenge the judges said Rhett had the best entree, Sarah the best main, and I am presuming Sarah had the dessert. So in that challenge Rhys had not cooked any of the best dishes and he cooked the worst entree.

25 Phil { 03.18.13 at 10:27 am }

I enjoyed the show a lot, and hope it comes back though probably won’t. The show has it positives (MPW, better cooking overall) and its negatives (repetitive challenges, trying to fit it too much to the regular MC frame), bit overall it was engaging and got me salivating a lot.

It’s true that Sarah was the better/more consistent cook through the series and she would have deserved to win, but you have to see this as a sport final/playoff, where even if you were very good before, if you had a bad day and/or your rival was inspired that day, you won’t win. Sarah lost the first place in the reinvention and pressure test. Rhys won it in the pressure test. I was being surprised that Rhett might make it but when I saw Matt’s eyes popping out after tasting the Eton Mess I knew I could not be him.

Congrats to all the chefs!

26 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 10:30 am }

Joseph@18. Can’t talk now but we think alike. :)

27 Leighbee { 03.18.13 at 11:17 am }

Happy that Rhys won…. Although really, I’m happy that Rhett didn’t! I would have been equally pleased to see Sarah take it out, she has been consistent throughout the series and always does well. Rhys certainly found his stride at the right end of the competition and I love that he continued to have a laid back approach to it all right to the very end. Sarah will do well regardless, she demonstrated excelled technique, creativity and palate consistently throughout the competition and I think will end up being a high-flier in the culinary world.
I’ve loved this series and do hope they do another….especially with MPW who, I admit I wasn’t sure about at the start, but I love now!
I wonder how regular Masterchef will go after we’ve been exposed to such good quality cooking. It’s been hard to switch over to MKR and watch the sub-standard cooking there and not judge it all very harshly, good reality drama is all well and good but it’s a cooking show at the end of the day. I want to see good food that I can aspire to cook and eat not just cat fights over the dinner table!

28 Barney { 03.18.13 at 11:25 am }

RR- I think it was debatable re the entrees. Sarah’s refusal to reconsider her chorizo after Marco tasted it (and Coop also) and was revolted meant her entree was dubious. Rhys’s main recieved as much praise as Sarah’s. Her dessert was better, but she stuffed up service with it.

But it was done in terms of three rounds, and Rhys was several points ahead care of his win in the second round. Ergo, with the service points added on, he won. Seems fair to me.

29 Anonymous { 03.18.13 at 11:38 am }

Didn’t think if was that great a final or there were any outstanding dishes via the scores given by the judges. A bit of an anticlimax really. Felt the judging in the final 4 and the final ep was a bit inconsistent. I think it would have been a better final if Michael was still there. There were better eps during the series.

30 Veronica { 03.18.13 at 12:25 pm }

So of there were 3 different endings filmed, does that mean there were 3 different lots of scores?

31 Joseph Skyrim { 03.18.13 at 12:30 pm }

@Veronica (30) – would be unnecessary to have different scores, all they need is variations of Matt saying ” you are the first Masterchef Professional winner!” plus reaction shots from everyone.

Must feel ridiculous to be filming all the variations though. 😛

32 Joseph Skyrim { 03.18.13 at 12:33 pm }

Actually thinking about it they would also need to have each of them going through their “winning” speech. Then, right at the end Marco and Matt are giving scores to contestants who aren’t even standing there. TV magic. 😛

If there’s a replay try to spot a shot of the final scoreboard with the 3 finalists and the crowd. I don’t think there was one as the camera was angled down away from it.

33 sittingbison { 03.18.13 at 2:17 pm }

filming different endings shows just what a sham this show is.

Rhys’ invention test was a complete disaster and how embarrassing the Masterchef Professional had never heard of a Vietnamese crepe. His terrine was a disaster, he managed a SINGLE slice that didn’t fall apart. His entree was a disaster, his mains ok and dessert dull.

This final was pathetically inept. Make no mistake I liked Rhys, however he underperformed in the finals and did not deserve to win.

34 Barney { 03.18.13 at 3:54 pm }

If Marco was a local, I suppose they could have done the winner’s announcement bit live, as they have in previous MC amateurs, but as he was out of the country months ago, they did three endings to avert spoilers. They film two different final scores on MKR also.

35 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 6:38 pm }

Getting first pick of the contestants would have given Sarah a massive advantage, especially since there weren’t 6 outstanding chefs from which to choose.
Best chefs in the gallery were Nathan and then Michael.
Note Sarah didn’t be ‘nice’ to Bonnie this time.

Fancy Rhys choosing his mate rather than a better chef. He must have thought they were going fishing. And BLACK PUDDING???? Blaaahh!

36 Anna { 03.18.13 at 6:57 pm }

Daisy, Rhys picking his mate was idiotic!!! That almost lead to his downfall.

Was surprised that Rhett didn’t pick Wags to help him but Nick. Nick can cook BUT always ends up falling behind during restaurant challenges.

Sarah picked a good team, it took her longer to unmould dessert then again it took Rhys ages to get his entree and mains out and he won????

SHINE manipulated the end…. why doesn’t it surprise me?????

37 Dr T { 03.18.13 at 8:23 pm }

SittingBison @ 33 – there’s a good 180+ countries or so in the world… I’m not bothered that he hadn’t heard of a Vietnamese crepe…

Paying homage to JosephSkyrim – apologies for attempting to emulate your comic stylings… I had a beverage or 3 during the F1, and lost interest with taking notes after about 30 minutes… but hear are my observations…

===================

It’s weird that they’ve each been driven across town in 3 separate cars – no maxi taxis in Melbourne today? Despite that everyone gets out and hugs…

1st round – it’s not going to be set by Matt and Marco… Shock horror, out comes – JULIE GOODWIN! Just kidding, it’s David Chang. Wags goes nuts over his hero, and in his piece to camera it’s clear that he still thinks he can win MCP despite being eliminated a few weeks ago.

I turn the dictionary for the following:
Simple – not complicated
Complex – so complicated or intricate as to be hard to understand or deal with
I turn back to the TV for a David Chang pearl of culinary wisdom: “Simple and honest doesn’t mean not complex”… I’m confused

The knife block appears – eggs come out and Rhys is happy. The editing is again unkind to Rhett, telling us something Shine has already led us to believe – “I pull chicken”. Cryptic for I’m a w…er?

Weight watchers add comes on with the perfect solution for the Masterchef contestants. Just enter chicken, miso and eggs into their computer, and out comes a receipe: chicken miso ramen!

Back from the adds, Rhys reveals that he hasn’t been to Vietnam despite using a lot of magic mushrooms. We pan up to the balcony to see that Wags has been watching MKR, and has taken Mick and Matt’s advice – he’s raised over $12 in the Worlds Greatest Shave!
======================

I got bored now… If someone paid me I could knuckle down and keep the white knuckle satire going for another 90 minutes

38 Anna { 03.18.13 at 8:47 pm }

Missing MWP already… watching MKR. Babes are still cooking great dishes according to the judges…. Braces is obsessed with tabloids… Guess that is why she joined the show

I think it’s Josh and Andi who are going..

39 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 8:58 pm }

Thats what the ad is indicating.

40 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 9:09 pm }

That is why they are bringing back one eliminated team

41 Carole { 03.19.13 at 9:23 am }

I thought the same thing about the black pudding. Yuk!!! Who eats that? Why would you choose to do something like that for the finale? It is an acquired taste and most people don’t like it.

42 Liberty { 03.19.13 at 9:06 pm }

RR – too true about Anthony having to re-read his contract. When the top three came out, he stood at the back and was the only one not clapping in each of the shots he appeared in. A very bad sport! Have to agree with most, Sarah should have won, must admit very happy that Rhett didn’t!

43 Losing reality { 03.23.13 at 7:53 am }

Simple to taste, complex to prepare?