Masterchef: The Professionals – Rhys Badcock’s 15 Minutes Of Fame Starts Now

Rhys Badcock won Masterchef: The Professionals last night and he now has the opportunity to use this win as a stepping stone to further his career in food. However in an interview this morning he seemed a little under prepared for the win and may not realise that when it comes to reality TV fame his 15 minutes starts now.  He  needs to get proactive and he needs to get proactive NOW!

It is amazing that Rhys and fellow finalists, Sarah and Rhett, have  zero online media presence, that is no blog, no Facebook page, and no Twitter account. So those one million viewers watching the show last night who google their names have no way of communicating with them,  nor can the chef’s tell their fans what they are doing, where they are cooking etc. By the end of the week most of those fans will have moved onto the next show.They need to make those fans stick and make them stick now.

Rhys said he wants to do his own TV show, he needs to be able to show the networks that he has viewers that want to tune in to watch him.  We need to be able to feel that he is passionate about food, but when you win a prize which gives you the opportunity to work and be mentored by some of the great chefs around the world, it would be great if you could actually name one of the chefs that you want to work with. At this stage he could not think of anyone he wanted to work with.

All of the finalists have had nearly two months since being in the final to have a think about how they  would spend the money, where they would go and how they are going to parlay their fame into something that can benefit themselves. If they don’t move fast, this media exposure and the time on the show may end up as a wasted opportunity.

In fact Network TEN and Shine Australia should have given them some advice on how to use the social media to their advantage.

The reality is it will probably be harder for them to obtain TV, book deals and media opportunities as the show was not deemed to be a ratings success. Personally I think they should do a second season the finale rated well, they just need to add a bit more drama and behind the scenes footage as the cooking challenges were great.

Rhys, Rhett, Sarah and the other contestants need to get out their pimping themselves and connecting with fans. This won’t happen if they don’t do it themselves. Rhett as the villain of the series and one of the more memorable personalities needs to promote himself fast and not shy away from his arrogant demeanour.

Hopefully Rhys as the first winner of the show can achieve something from it, though the $200,000 is pretty damn good too.

Below is my interview with Rhys:

Reality Ravings(RR): You’ve won Masterchef: The Professionals, you’ve got $200,000 in your back pocket and an around the world air ticket to work some great restaurants in the world, where are you going to go work  or what chefs you want to work with?

Rhys Badcock (RB): I have not thought about it too much, it was a pretty unexpected win, we only found out last night.

RR: Where did you watch the finale?

RB: I watched it in my hotel room with Rhett and Sarah.

RR: Did  they punch you out, did they say it was unfair or were they happy with your win?

RB: Yeah they were happy.

RR: What happens to you now do you go back to that boat in Broome or are you going to try and surf the wave of success post your win on the reality TV show?

RB: I will go back on the boat, but I am going to try and ride this wave and hopefully get my own TV show out of it.

RR: And what is the concept of your TV show?

RB: I am just going to buy a wicked old combie and drive around Australia, catching things and cooking them up.

RR: Have you pitched it to TEN? Are they interested?

RB: I have not pitched it to anyone yet, so I am going to have to come up with some ideas.

RR: Last night the show, the Leek and Lobster Terrine, I have got to say I was pretty underwhelmed by that dish did you taste it what did it taste like?

RB: Super simple but super tasty, all the flavours work really really well together, but really tricky to put together.

RR: What was the sauce on top?

RB: It was just like a warm vinaigrette, used a couple of different vinegars, olive oil, tarragon, garlic and some of the water that comes out of the terrine after it has been pressed.

RR: So what happened you obviously put too many leeks on your terrine, did you realise then Sarah told you that there only needed to be 28 or had you already taken some of the leeks out by then?

RB: I took some out as I did not think it was all going to fit. Then Sarah told me there was suppose to have 28 in there.

RR: So how many leeks did you actually have in there?

RB: There wasn’t even 28 in there, there was less than that they just did not fit.

RR: That is where you got your extra two points and got your win, moving onto the service challenge, how come Sarah got to pick who she cooked with first?

RB: I am not too sure how that worked out. But that was alright, it did not bother me I knew who I wanted to work with and I knew no one else was going to pick them.

RR: I just didn’t know if there had been some random straw draw but it was totally random? By the way good on you for picking Kiah, it was really lovely, he was knocked out earlier on for being a team player and it was good to see him get a bit more time in the spot light. Now with the service challenge and the dessert, when Marco said to Sarah do you want us to stop service was she really lagging behind in the time. Was everybodies desserts out? What was going on?

RB: There was a bit of editing, a bit of crafty editing, she was not very far behind at all.

RR: One of the interesting yesterday was how it all went in the kitchen was given a score and how it went in the top four episode it was based on flavour of the dishes. Did you think this was fair?

RB: Yes I think it was fair.

RR: Well obviously you won [laughs].

RB: Marco was in the kitchen for this challenge, he was not in the kitchen for the last service challenge.

RR: How come Rhett did not like hearing people talking in the kitchen or did he just like to hear the sound of his own voice?

RB: I think he likes to hear his own voice. [laughs]

RR: He must have been disappointed on the loss, but I found it a bit ironic that it was a dessert that stuffed it up in the end. He was definitely one of the personalities of the show. So your going to hop in a combi, you are going to do your own show, so it is is a bit like those other dudes Curtis Stone and Ben [O’Donaghue] catching seafood and showing them how to cook it. When are you hoping to have that up?

RB: I am not too sure. I will put it to Channel TEN and see what happens.

RR: Do you get to put out a cook book as well?

RB: I am not too sure, I think we probably will get approached to do a cookbook.

RR: Do you have a blog, a Facebook page, a Twitter account – What is your online presence?

RB: No haven’t got a blog as yet, and will definitely start up a Facebook and Twitter account.

RR: If fans want to get in touch with you they will just keep an eye online and you will just pop up. So just keep on googling Rhys Badcock and they can find you.

1 essenzzaa { 03.18.13 at 2:47 pm }

a lil more tinkering and the show would’ve been poifect!

thanks for having MPW on as mentor, judge and devil’s advocate…..”it’s been a pleasure!”

2 Phil { 03.18.13 at 3:32 pm }

RR: probably channel 10 didn’t allow anyone in MCP to have any social media account until they were out of the competition.

Good interview! any more coming from Sarah and Rhett?

3 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 3:38 pm }

I do like Rhys but can’t see him doing well with a TV show. He is so laid back and will be too boring for TV.

4 Reality Raver { 03.18.13 at 4:22 pm }

Phil – I interviewed the three of them last week but only the winner was doing the rounds today http://www.realityravings.com/2013/03/17/masterchef-the-professionals-interview-with-the-final-three/

Normally contestants are ready to go on social media once they are eliminated or win. I just think they needed to try and connect with fans whilst the interest in them is still around.

5 Kay { 03.18.13 at 4:28 pm }

Wow RR great interview, you asked some great questions! I’m not kidding I always find myself disappointed by interviews because a lot of journalists avoid asking tricky questions.

6 Ana { 03.18.13 at 4:59 pm }

Sarah wasn’t very far behind and it was editing? Yikes.

I couldn’t have been as nice and neutral as you were, but I’m a big grump!

I agree with you about social media/online presence! One of the very few things you can find about S is her partner’s (does that mean boyfriend or husband?) twitter page bashing their old place of employment – not a good look at all. I also looked up Luke and a few others and sadly didn’t find zilch.

A recipe blog + ads would really work well for them, not sure why no one went that route?

7 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 5:11 pm }

I guess some of them are already head chefs in restaurants and don’t have time for a blog. They want to crack the big stage and don’t want to be stuck with a blog. Those in the Masterchef series are different as most of them are just home cooks and won’t take the risk of running a restaurant. Only a handful did and blogs will be important if they want to do catering.

8 Paul { 03.18.13 at 5:24 pm }

I actually think its refreshing that some of them don’t have a social media account.

A really good series that didn’t get the numbers it deserved.

9 brain dead dave { 03.18.13 at 5:48 pm }

His own TV show? Like Littlepetal, I think he’s getting ahead of himself there. Too laid back and boring. Like most winners of Ma$terchef , I expect him to fall off the radar pretty quickly.

I found Jowl$y’s work horribly overblown and the relentless cheesy Chariots Of Fire muzak an abomination.

10 Heléna { 03.18.13 at 5:54 pm }

I can’t believe that they did not have their social media organised – there’s a few chefs on the show that I would have loved to keep tabs on – if you hear anything RR lets us know

11 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 6:28 pm }

Interesting RR when you said it will be hard for the winners to get a book deal etc because the show wasn’t a ratings success. Does that mean we can expect a book deal or a cooking show from say Tassie Dad’s or (shudder) Ashlee and Sophia because of MKR’s ratings?

12 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 6:41 pm }

BDD@overblown Jowlsy. Sounds like a pufferfish. We call them blowfish or blowies in the west.

13 Carole { 03.18.13 at 6:41 pm }

Wow, that is surprising in this day and age going on a reality show and not being on Twitter or Facebook.

Why did they do the finale for this show different. They usually film the whole series but the finale was usually done live. That’s really odd that they filmed 3 different endings, and they watched it in a hotel room. Kind of an anticlimax to find out you’ve won that way.

14 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 6:52 pm }

MKR started the trend of filming 2 endings for last year finale. MCP doesn’t want to film a live finale as the have to get MPW back for the finale.

15 Reality Raver { 03.18.13 at 6:54 pm }

I think if you are wanting to continue to promote yourself/your future ventures/ a tv show concept/ a possible cookbook, you do need to keep in touch with your fans. I am just not sure if there would be a book deal for them, sure there are potentially 600,000 fans but they would need a strong concept.
Daisy don’t think the cooking has been good enough on MKR for any of them to merit a cook book but out of this year’s lot the Bondi Boys would probably have the strongest concept as they are strictly that healthy theme they keep on pushing.

16 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 6:58 pm }

RR I wasn’t serious about a cookbook from this years MKR. I should have used my sarcastic voice.

17 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 7:05 pm }

But you’re right about the Bondees’ having a good concept (although it’s been done) but their food seems to lack on flavour and diversity techniques. I would check out any easy healthy cookbooks.

Suziekue what about it? The Bondees coffee table cookbook.
“spatchcock and buns”. Could be a hilarious read.

18 Littlepetal { 03.18.13 at 7:15 pm }

Michele Bridges already have a couple of cookbooks and you can get some nice recipes from some websites. Also market is too small for these kind of cookbooks.

Last year Master chef winner,Andy is not doing too well with his cookbook. Just because he was cute doesn’t mean I will buy his cookbook and I do love buying cookbooks,they are piling up on the floor.

19 Daisy { 03.18.13 at 7:48 pm }

Little Petal, as well as cookbooks, it’s google and print here but we have the same problem. The file is getting too thick.

20 Laura { 03.18.13 at 8:16 pm }

Great interview RR.

I really, really liked Rhys on Masterchef Pro – he is so humble and down-to-earth. I’d watch his TV show if he had a strong concept. He is very laid back and not all that entertainment savvy so I think it could work as an ensemble cast too.

You are right about the social media – if they want investors, backers, TV shows, etc, they need to ride the wave of success and notoriety via social media. It’s the way things work now!

21 Anonymous { 02.09.14 at 1:26 am }

do you like me i was supporting you