My Kitchen Rules – Melbourne Cup Canapes See A Winner
Well it was a high end challenge for the My Kitchen Rules teams with them having to make canapés for the VIP’s on Melbourne Cup day in the Emirates Tent. Considering the Emirates tent is one of the most coveted to get into it was quite a coup for the producers to get a challenge in there. Also it was filled with celebrities no wonder the teams were star struck.
Thankfully for the celebrities in the tent the teams were only doing a small part of the catering with each team only having to plate up two trays each. Hopefully after the challenge was finished the teams got to watch the horse race.
A few highlights of the episode were:
- Sophia having a celebrity sighting meltdown and gushing to Mischa Barton how she was such a huge fan since the OC whilst holding her plate of canapes. Mischa giving her the death stare which as Sophia noted she has managed to piss off her one remaining fan – her. Mischa was probably peeved that Sophia had unintentionally reminded her she had not done anything of note since The OC, and can’t even get a gig on Dancing With The Stars.
- Josh and Andi did a beetroot puree which could have been dangerous with all those people frocked up but ended up being one of the hit canapés;
- Kerrie and Craig were having a disaster as she was trying to make sesame tuilles to put the tuna sashimi in, after three goes she ended up putting them in cos lettuce cups;
- Jenna and Joanna made raspberry tarts with Italian meringue which were well received by the judges and crowd alike. It was the gold leaf that did it. It was good to see Jenna met her contractual obligations and had a sob to camera even though they had done well this challenge;
- Melina and Angela’s decided to go for lobster because they were catering to the stars. There lobster salad on witlof was good but not great. However they should have scored extra points for not having any carbs in them;
- The Bondi Boys need to relax a little they are really pushing the healthy line too much. They even told the punters their salmon rillettes on rye toast were good for them, thankfully they refrained from gibbering about omega 3’s, and complex carbs. They commited a bigger sin of making the canape far too big to get into the mouth in one go;
- Jake and Elle were confident with their canape, as Jake is a “perfectionist”. However they forgot about the judges hatred of anything fruit with meat or seafood. The judges were snarky when saying was it savoury or sweet. There was a prawn on top so that would have given them the hint that it was savoury;
- The other queensland team Dan and Steph also went for a mango with a sambal prawn. They were told they had one to many ingredients in there and that it required two hands to eat;
- Chris and Sam (who actually has a good camera prescence) made shortbread with a ginger cream which the judges really liked as well;
- Again it was vote by the people who ate it, but looking at the voting sheets it was a wonder if the celebs would be able to remember who had made what as it just had there names there not the dishes they had cooked. Sophia and Ashlee won and they were quite cute with their shock, saying they never expected to win a peoples choice. Melina and Angela looked less then thrilled. Sophia and Ashlee also were whipping out the one liners last night – take note Masterchef Professionals Chefs.
Interesting there is going to be a team leave unexpectedly on Wednesday night, and who it is could be anyones guess. Andi and Josh because of her morning sickness, except they keep on flashing them up on the ads so that normally means it won’t be them. Joanna and Jenna because she is missing her kid, but she seems to be made of sterner stuff, or maybe Melina and Angela have had enough of being beaten by Ashlee and Sophia and quit.
The Block:All Stars won’t be too happy to have this big MKR event going up against their finale.
My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN at 7.30pm Monday – Wednesday.