My Kitchen Rules – Melbourne Cup Canapes See A Winner

Well it was a high end challenge for the My Kitchen Rules teams with them having to make canapés for the VIP’s on Melbourne Cup day in the Emirates Tent. Considering the Emirates tent is one of the most coveted to get into it was quite a coup for the producers to get a challenge in there. Also it was filled with celebrities no wonder the teams were star struck.

Thankfully for the celebrities in the tent the teams were only doing a small part of the catering with each team only having to plate up two trays each. Hopefully after the challenge was finished the teams got to watch the horse race.

A few highlights of the episode were:

• Sophia having a celebrity sighting meltdown and gushing to Mischa Barton how she was such a huge fan since the OC whilst holding her plate of canapes. Mischa giving her the death stare which as Sophia noted she has managed to piss off her one remaining fan – her. Mischa was probably peeved that Sophia had unintentionally reminded her she had not done anything of note since The OC, and can’t even get a gig on Dancing With The Stars.
  •  Josh and Andi did a beetroot puree which could have been dangerous with all those people frocked up but ended up being one of the hit canapés;
  •  Kerrie and Craig were having a disaster as she was trying to make sesame tuilles to put the tuna sashimi in, after three goes she ended up putting them in cos lettuce cups;
  • Jenna and Joanna made raspberry tarts with Italian meringue which were well received by the judges and crowd alike. It was the gold leaf that did it. It was good to see Jenna met her contractual obligations and had a sob to camera even though they had done well this challenge;
  • Melina and Angela’s decided to go for lobster because they were catering to the stars. There lobster salad on witlof was good but not great. However they should have scored extra points for not having any carbs in them;
  •  The Bondi Boys need to relax a little they are really pushing the healthy line too much. They even told the punters their salmon rillettes on rye toast were good for them, thankfully they refrained from gibbering about omega 3’s, and complex carbs. They commited a bigger sin of making the canape far too big to get into the mouth in one go;
  •  Jake and Elle were confident with their canape, as Jake is a “perfectionist”. However they forgot about the judges hatred of anything fruit with meat or seafood. The judges were snarky when saying was it savoury or sweet. There was a prawn on top so that would have given them the hint that it was savoury;
  • The other queensland team Dan and Steph also went for a mango with a sambal prawn. They were told they had one to many ingredients in there and that it required two hands to eat;
  • Chris and Sam (who actually has a good camera prescence) made shortbread with a ginger cream which the judges really liked as well;
  • Again it was vote by the people who ate it, but looking at the voting sheets it was a wonder if the celebs would be able to remember who had made what as it just had there names there not the dishes they had cooked. Sophia and Ashlee won and they were quite cute with their shock, saying they never expected to win a peoples choice. Melina and Angela looked less then thrilled. Sophia and Ashlee also were whipping out the one liners last night – take note Masterchef Professionals Chefs.

Interesting there is going to be a team leave unexpectedly on Wednesday night, and who it is could be anyones guess. Andi and Josh because of her morning sickness, except they keep on flashing them up on the ads so that normally means it won’t be them. Joanna and Jenna because she is missing her kid, but she seems to be made of sterner stuff, or maybe Melina and Angela have had enough of being beaten by Ashlee and Sophia and quit.

The Block:All Stars won’t be too happy to have this big MKR event going up against their finale.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN at 7.30pm Monday – Wednesday.

1 JanZ { 03.19.13 at 11:12 am }

I think the girls looked lovely, except the MKR stylist gave most of them a low side bun each. Oh, sorry, is this a cooking show? lol

Have noticed the bitchiness has been less – bit of quick editing of late? Well, that side of things is more pleasant at least without the constant comments. Ashlee is quite pretty when she smiles. The other one has the more potty mouth.

Who is Mischa, lol? I would have run up to Mr Rudd, he is so cute!

2 A.P { 03.19.13 at 11:14 am }

I thought the same thing RR, how could the celebs remember who was who and what they had cooked when they had to judge the best canape?
It getting annoying to see Jenna nodding her head in agreement with Joanna with anything she said.
Loved seeing Sophia get the brush off by that snobby Mischa!
How come they filmed Lisa Wilkinson tasting a canape, is she allowed to appear on channel 7?
Sophia and Ashlee might have won people’s choice but as usual it was still Asian food, why aren’t they challenged to cook other foods and get out of their comfort zones as the others do?
The contestants must have had a complete makeover before entering the tent with their offerings.

3 layla { 03.19.13 at 11:17 am }

I will give Sophia credit when credit is due and she was SPOT ON with that Mischa Barton comment. That made me laugh.

My tweet appeared on the show last night. I made a remark about Kerrie not cooking lamb (for a change!) and it was the first tweet to appear on the show that night so I guess the producers or whoever is running the tweets through the show agree that she only cooks lamb. LOL.

I too have noticed Manu doesn’t seem to like fruit (especially a tropical fruit) with meat.

All I know is whoever Jake and Elle cook against are going home, but obviously something happens with Josh and Andi as we saw in the ad so I’m interested in seeing what it is. I only saw the ad once but it seems like maybe they use another contestant’s ingredient or something??

4 Littlepetal { 03.19.13 at 11:22 am }

The ad looked like Andi and Josh may have use the pasta from another team.

5 Christina { 03.19.13 at 11:22 am }

I have suspicion it could be the Bondi Boys, but why have no idea! Something to do with Josh & Andi, as why are they so distraught? So very curious. Time will tell!!

Oh, and I actually thought Mischa smiled at Sophia, so not exactly a brush off.

Hope Jake & Elle pull through, it’s not their time to go yet – both for cooking ability and entertainment!

6 A.P { 03.19.13 at 11:23 am }

Layla! You are famous! I saw that tweet and liked it, good on you.

7 Reality Raver { 03.19.13 at 11:27 am }

Layla – I saw that tweet! Yes I am still laughing at the Mischa/sophia encounter.

Christina – I thought Mischa had this who is this crazed woman on her face as she walked away surrounded by body guards.

Little Petal – You may be onto something, also was there an incident on Masterchef where someone grabbed the wrong pasta or pastry or was given some pasta from someone else?

8 layla { 03.19.13 at 11:27 am }

Of course they have their makeup touched up throughtout the show. If I was cooking over a stove for an hr, my mascara would be all over my face!

I see they’re cooking pasta in this upcoming challenge which sucks that A & S won’t be competing in as I doubt they cook pasta much. They failed at the breakfast challenge a few weeks back – remember those horrible pancakes they made? So we all know they have a limited range with what they can cook.

9 Littlepetal { 03.19.13 at 11:28 am }

Yes, it happened on Masterchef but remember who it was.

10 kess { 03.19.13 at 11:45 am }

Why would anyone think pasta would be difficult for the Asian girls?

Pasta is a pretty simple dish – and noodles you know the predecessors of pasta, would be dead easy for Asian cooks to pump out a pasta dish.

Why don’t posters and people understand Asian cuisine is extremelt diverse and complex, really Asian/Chinese cuisine is recognised as on a par with French food for complex sauces etc.
just because you can knock up a stir fry doesn’t mean it’s easy food, can you whip out a peking duck from scratch?

11 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 11:46 am }

I want to repeat I HATE ladies’ cup fashion. It’s so cheeeeesy.
Reminds me of:
tropic fish
tropical birds
Mrs Bucket
Kath and Kim
And smells of desperation and too much effort.

Less is more and the trick is to put in the effort but make it seem natural.

As for the people’s choice, it isn’t reliable unless it is properly judged with all people tasting. I ‘ll bet the celebs and wanna be celebs in the tent were more preoccupied with (one of the Mamas said it last night) “Look a moi, look a moi”.

I’m pretty sure that Sophia has probably already done that snub herself a few times.

Re the staging, I think the producers merely crank up and exaggerate what they see is already there.

12 KJ { 03.19.13 at 12:01 pm }

I enjoyed the challenge last night, I liked the look of all of the canapes apart from Kerrie and Craigs, theirs looked a little clumsy. And it was very plesant to have no b****ing from A&S. The cynic in me wonders if the episode was always going to be like that, or if there was some hasty editing done over the weekend! It’s a shame that the early promos showing the outback challenge have ruined any suspence about the upcoming elimination.

13 layla { 03.19.13 at 12:02 pm }

Awww thanks you guys! A few of my tweets have appeared on the show previously but I was suprised to see that one did since it was a real smart ass tweet. Haha!

Littlepetal@4 Yep. I think it’s definitely something like that. You wouldn’t think they’d be that dumb though. They seemed quite smart to me but who knows.

14 Stacey { 03.19.13 at 12:14 pm }

I agree about the ladies fashions, mostly the headpieces. They all looked like they had chook asses in their hair. All the canapes looked great, which is weird since the cooking has been terrible, and it was a bit insulting to other contestants saying that the food was the best of all the seasons. Clearly its not.

Ill admit I was really pissed off when Josh and Andi didn’t win the people’s choice. I thought it was much more deserved than Ashlee and Sophia. I’m so sick of them only cooking Asian. Its boring!

15 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 12:24 pm }

My choice was Josh and Andie (even though I don’t eat raw meat) or J&J (even tho’ I’m not much of a sweetie). Both looked the best of the bunch to me.

16 Georgie { 03.19.13 at 12:25 pm }

Oops wrong thread.

17 Danielle { 03.19.13 at 12:25 pm }

Yeah Chelsea stole Hayden’s pasta in season 3 of Masterchef early on. I saw the episode recently because Masterchef website has all the episodes and I know they tasted the both dishes at the same time.
Finally we get to see some good cooking. I would go from watching Masterchef to MKR and think the amateurs were cooking so basic! I’m glad they stopped the bitching except for A&M awkward congratulations of A&S.

18 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 12:27 pm }

I liked what I could see of Sophia’s yellow dress.

19 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 12:29 pm }

Sam from Channel 7 is so pretty and adorable. It was a cute moment between her and the cousins when she couldn’t lie about their canape.
She almost tried to for a moment.

20 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 12:36 pm }

RR Another choice moment was when Jake dropped his head and gave us a full three seconds of coif full-frontal.

21 PollyB { 03.19.13 at 12:51 pm }

Layla – I saw your tweet, yay 
The food looked so good last night. Those raspberry tarts looked gorgeous. If they did produce it themselves they certainly weren’t up against a fast clock as it was all tidy, except for Kerries. I am way over her. I actually yelled out to the TV, ‘F*cking start again then’, when she was shown going on and on and on that her tuilles hadn’t worked.
I’m sick of Josh and Andi being dressed in the same colour. Come on, this is not kindergarten.
I want a Top Chef challenge – pull a knife with a country and cook that cuisine. Helllloooo Bratz dolls. They probably do cook great Asian, but FFS I want to see them cook something else.
Jake is proving to be great entertainment, I really like him now! Loving Chris & Sam. Those Bondi boys! I couldn’t believe they mentioned healthy to the guests. Who cares it’s Melbourne Cup.
Angela & Melina and Steph were the only ones to wear hats/fascinators I think. Did you notice the God awful paper ‘fascinators’ on the other girsl! Eeek.
And this People’s Choice crap. Producers Choice more like.

22 PollyB { 03.19.13 at 12:53 pm }

Now I’m being treated as spam!

23 Georgie { 03.19.13 at 12:57 pm }

Here’s an interesting read from Jowlsy about the ‘fruit with meat’ debate. Pete and Manu’s carry on is very dismissive and sidelines a lot of different cultures and cuisines, with a long history of using these ingredients together. Even French cuisine is mentioned. Some of the combinations cited, are common everyday dishes that you tend to forget are actually fruit with meat. I wonder if they would be so critical if there was a Moroccan contestant on the show cooking their heritage dishes?

24 Picnic { 03.19.13 at 1:09 pm }

I think there has been some retrospective editing – A&S did not make one nasty comment towards the real housewives. A much nicer show to watch. I saw your tweet too Layla, well done you are famous!

A&S need to make some non asian food to proove they can cook.
I dont think the people’s choice was representative as each team only made 2 trays of canopies – most people would be lucky to get one (and some celebs said they ate more than one off a plate)

25 Anna { 03.19.13 at 1:14 pm }

Still finding it hard to believe that this years contestants cooked AMAZING dishes for Melbourne cup … so far most of the dishes they’ve cooked in their ‘own’ kitchen and HQ failed

How could dumplings be the dish of the day? it’s just dumplings? what was in them? Why are the Bratz being given the green light?

I’m sure bitching will restart tonight… no time to bitch over the last few shows… cook for your life and Melb Cup

Want clown braces off the show… will take a while me thinks….

Jut a brief comment on TBL…. if anyone wants to be emotionally abused. Loser encores in the am followed closely by Dr Phil….

26 Reality Raver { 03.19.13 at 1:23 pm }

Polly B I have fished your comment out of spam now. Sorry about that

27 J { 03.19.13 at 1:48 pm }

Props where props are due – A & S are catty and nasty but they can obviously cook as observed by one of the teams last night when they won.

Personally liked the Andi and Josh dish the best, but doesnt surpsise me the dumpling was chosen, it was the only warm dish, plus dumpling bars and yum cha type places are becoming very “in” at the moment.

Anyone know what the challenge is tonight? Re the controversy thinking if its the beach one in which Kerry faints / passes out etc maybe Andi and Josh lose tonights challenge are meant to cook off but Kerri withdraws from the competition

28 Anna { 03.19.13 at 2:12 pm }

J, Kerri faints in the dessert and it’s only 7 teams left by that time

Would be good to see A&S cook something non Asian inspired…. then we’d see if they are good or not…

The only time they made a cake in the challenge they didn’t do so well…. but were saved from the elimination challenge…. time for them to GO

29 Reality Raver { 03.19.13 at 2:16 pm }

Sophia and Ashlee remind me of Waldorf and Statler from The Muppets with their running commentary.

30 drb123 { 03.19.13 at 2:19 pm }

With her brush with fame, it looks like Sophia found someone as rude as she is

31 PollyB { 03.19.13 at 2:26 pm }

Thanks RR :)

32 Laura { 03.19.13 at 2:37 pm }

I really want to know what the “controversial” exit is… I really hope it’s not Josh and Andi, they are my favourites now and I think the strongest cooks in the competition – judges’ favourites twice in a row and this week still one of the best.

From the promos it looks like Josh asks Kerri & Craig for a favour i.e. to take/borrow one of their ingredients & get disqualified from the competition for it. There are soundbites of “but that’s not fair” coming from Josh and someone else saying “he took advantage of those good people”.

Hopefully it’s just clever editing to divert us and it’s actually another couple leaving for boring reasons.

33 layla { 03.19.13 at 2:57 pm }

Laura@32 It usually seems that way (re. the editing). They make it that one team has done a disaster of a meal but a completely different team leaves. When Mick and Matt were announced going into sudden death, the ad and whole episode focused on Angela/Melina and Sophia/Ashlee stuffing up. So I was suprised there and have learnt not to believe what the ad says because it’s usually always a storm in a tea cup.

Another brush with fame, I cooked some pancakes last night with balsamic strawberries and posted it on instagram (cause who doesn’t post food on instagram?? 😉 ) and Mr. Smiley Sam himself ‘liked’ my pic. I thought that was nice to see him support the viewers like that.

34 Morgan { 03.19.13 at 4:18 pm }

I think it’s pretty sad that the best cooking we’ve seen so far from everybody was from cooking canapes. That being said, though I did like a lot of them. I want to see Ashlee and Sophia cook something other than Asian food, making meatball subs last week does not cut it for me as being versatile. I disagreed with Jake and Elle being the worst team of the day, their canapes looked really cool and I liked Jake’s grapefruit “caviar” idea. Luke and Scott should’ve gone into Sudden Death, their canapes looked like cat food on toast, plus there was no actual cooking involved in it (no, toasting bread does not count as cooking)! I was shocked at Pete and Manu raving about it.

I really hope Josh and Andi are not the ones that leave on Wednesday (although it looks the promo for that episode pretty much gives away that they might be the ones going into sudden death), they’ve been consistently good since Kitchen HQ began and they’re such a nice couple.

35 layla { 03.19.13 at 5:29 pm }

Unfortunately we’re getting down to the nitty gritty and the teams we like will be getting the chop soon enough. I don’t care who wins, as long as it’s not Kerrie and Craig or Ashlee and Sophia. I’d pick Kerrie and Craig over the girls though if it did come down to those two in the final but it won’t though.

36 Littlepetal { 03.19.13 at 5:49 pm }

I am with you layla. Not fuss about who wins as long as it is not A&S. In fact I don’t even want them to be in the Final 2.

I quite like Jake and Elle but the strong contenders could be Dan and Steph. What a surprise they have turned out since they start cooking in Kitchen HQ.

Can’t see Bondi Boys winning it nor will they be in the Final 2.

37 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 5:57 pm }

Don’t care who wins either, as long as it’s not A&S or Kerrie.

That’s not a good sign when viewers don’t care who wins.

38 Morgan { 03.19.13 at 6:01 pm }

I really don’t think Ashlee & Sophia will win with their extremely negative edit. If they were winning, you’d think the producers would try to make them more likeable to the viewers. Jen and Leigh won last year after being portrayed as the villians for a couple of episodes but then the villian edit was passed on to Thomas and Carla, and the former team started getting a much more likeable edit.

39 Anna { 03.19.13 at 6:02 pm }

Don’t care either… usually I like at least one team, sadly this year they are all annoying as hell…

Even if annoying as long as they can cook just about anything and treat each other and others with respect…. this year MKR have outdone themselves…

40 layla { 03.19.13 at 6:49 pm }

Oh I mean I like all the teams but K&C and A&S haha. Dan and Steph have improved so much since their instant restaurant and are such lovely people. The boys (Sam/Chris, Luke/Scott) are nice guys too and it’d be great to see a male team win for a change and Jake and Elle have been my favourites since day 1 along with my Matty. They have so much passion for food and they have both said they dream to open a restaurant together.

I saw the ad again and now I think they maybe Josh has helped out another team or something. Because everyone is saying “thats not right, thats not fair” so we’ll see if that’s the case later on.

Either way it should be a good ep and look forward to the comments later on!

41 Anna { 03.19.13 at 7:06 pm }

Sadly this year I’m watching this show for something to watch factor….

Haven’t seen one dish I’d like to try making at home… The show is so scripted that it’s almost not worth watching… it’s almost a soap opera. Where the producers decide who says what and who comes and goes and who gets praised when though the audiences don’t agree….

42 Daisy { 03.19.13 at 8:29 pm }

Anna@41, I could have written this myself.

43 Gabby { 03.19.13 at 10:41 pm }

I notice Andi wasn’t speaking up with Josh about going in the cook off because of using Kerrie and Craig’s pasta. She remained silent throughout his honourable outburst. I take my hat off to him.
I felt for Kerrie and Craig but I can understand what Pete and Manu said about the plate that was dished up to them, but they couldn’t cook pasta they didn’t deserve to get through.

44 Marie { 03.19.13 at 11:21 pm }

ARGH. I got a phone call between the exact moments of the judges about to give Josh and Andy their result on their stolen pasta dish and got back to the tv in time to see everyone shaking their heads angrily and Josh and Andy walking off safe. I was only watching for that bit of drama!

45 nanaliz { 03.19.13 at 11:49 pm }

As usual the promos made more out of the drama than it was, so we still don’t know who leaves so Mick and Matt can come back, or is that a furfy too.

46 Juliane { 04.01.13 at 1:40 am }

Thank you for some other magnificent article. Where else could anybody get
that type of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a
presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

47 Daisy { 04.01.13 at 9:19 am }

Juliane, what is your presentation? Would you like any help?