My Kitchen Rules – Pastagate Was A Bit Of A Beat Up

We need to see more of Pete Evans getting a bit hard arsed. He did this with Josh when he was having a meltdown saying ” it was unfair”  about Kerrie and Craig not being safe after they had given him and Andi some pasta to use.

” You plated up a dish which we had to judge, if you did not want to use it, you did not have to use it” said Pete through gritted teeth. What did Josh think was going to occur that they would both be safe? Didn’t they realise the producers would want to make some drama out of the the fact that Josh and Andi were not using their own?

In a way Pastagate was a bit over promoted. The challenge for all teams was to make their own pasta dish as decided by MKR Facebook fans with one of the four selected ingredients. Josh and Andi were making Open Pumpkin Lasagne but they could not get the pasta right it was crumbling. Josh tried it twice and Manu told him they might have to get the packaged stuff out of the pantry to use. Josh at this stage turned to Craig and Kerrie who were beside them and asked them if they had any left over and they handed it across.

This meant Josh and Andi were able to plate up using fresh pasta. Sure there could have been a risk the pasta was bad, however it was always going to be better than what they had been using.

Craig and Kerrie were quite magnanimous about it, saying they preferred Josh and Andi were safe with their pasta because it was good rather then put in an elimination because it was bad.

Josh was upset and teary, clearly feeling guilty but Andi who was probably pregnant at the time looked quite happy not to have to cook again.

The Italian mum’s Angela and Melina were thrilled with the challenge, and they did get great reviews of the pasta and were told their presentation was restaurant quality, however the lemon sauce that came with it was that great. They would have to cook again.

Joanna who also has Italian heritage was on fire and just before the end of the challenge decided to turn her pasta into a squid ink one just so she could show the judges they were pushing themselves. The judges loved it and said it was genius.  They were safe.

As were the Bondi Boys who can do no wrong in Pete Evan’s eyes. Luke and Scott made a Salmon Pappardelle with quite a few ingredients which apparently went together well.

Whereas poor Dan and Steph decided to take the judges advice from the canape challenge and keep their dish simple. However their Pumpkin Pappardelle was not good enough and they had to cook again, as did Sam and Chris who made a Smoked Salmon Pasta.

The theme for the second cook off was use your favourite ingredient.  Angela and Melina used mushrooms and were making Scallopini with a mushroom sauce. Sophia did not think this showcased the ingredient and said it was just a side dish. The viewer did not get to see her opinion on Kerrie and Craig’s parsley veloute on whether they thought it fulfilled the brief.

Kerrie and Craig’s dish of Blue eyed Cod with Parsley veloute looked great even though it is a bit retro. Dan who seems to make all the decisions in his team was making Steak, Eggs and Chips. He is bossy, he told Steph to make the garlic aioli again as there were pepper flecks in it. They ended up plating a nice dish and Manu said the steak was perfectly cooked, which he achieved by using a hell of a lot of oil.

Sam and Chris were making a Chocolate Gateux for dessert. It did not set and they pumped badly swirled meringue on top. It looked like a puddle on a plate. However it must have been their lucky day as the over cooked veal on the Victorian’s team pushed them into the elimination final.

Angela said there was an evil eye on their dish and this was coming from Ashlee and Sophia. Was she trying to shift the blame from her too tough veal which was the product of her starting to cook it too early.  Jake looked happy with the decision, as he must feel confident he can beat them and they should as they have not cooked well since coming to kitchen headquarters.

Who do you think should have been sent to the elimination challenge? And should Josh have been penalised for using someone elses pasta?

My Kitchen Rules on Monday – Thursday on Seven at 7.30pm

1 Anna { 03.20.13 at 4:46 pm }
2 Littlepetal { 03.20.13 at 4:50 pm }

#50 I meant to say “I don’t think the Final 2 knew who won”

3 Anna { 03.20.13 at 4:54 pm }

The filming finished before Xmas…. will not take long to figure out who are the final 4

4 Daisy { 03.20.13 at 4:54 pm }

WHAT MICKEY MOUSE! Again someone thinks an Asian is and Asian and duzzn’t madda.
As I recall the girls said that they are Cambodian and Vietnamese.

5 Daisy { 03.20.13 at 5:30 pm }

Sorry Mickey Mose. I didn’t mean to throw you under the bus (watching too much Doc Phil).

6 micky mouse { 03.20.13 at 6:01 pm }

Showing your ignorance here a bit Daisy . Asian is a generic term for a wide variety of asian peoples as caucasian is for a wide variety of European peoples. As I do not know if the two girls are of Chinese ethnicity or Cambodian or Vietnamese it is reasonable to use the term Asian as best describing them. I do know that my Chinese Indonesian now Australian wife is very embarresed by their rudeness. No offence taken

7 Liberty { 03.20.13 at 6:05 pm }

I wish they’d do an episode where Manu and Pete get to cook – like they do near end of season Ma$terchef. Would love to see what they’d produce within the time constraints of some challenges.

8 Anna { 03.20.13 at 6:18 pm }

Liberty if you live in Sydney Pete and Manu do cooking classes… you just sit and watch them cook. You get a chance to sample the dish at the end

9 Daisy { 03.20.13 at 6:26 pm }

MM You called them Chinese not Asian. I am not aware that they are Chinese.

10 Daisy { 03.20.13 at 6:29 pm }

I’m sorry to take it out on you but there have been so many odd comments made regarding race that I must’ve got my back up. Sorry again for picking on you.

11 Liberty { 03.20.13 at 7:12 pm }

Thanks Anna #58 I’m not a fan of Pete since his lifestyle channel days. Manu would be interesting to watch. Will keep that in mind!

12 Anna { 03.20.13 at 7:21 pm }

Welcome :-) I’ve been to a few of Manu’s cooking classes. Knew the dishes well as I usually order one of them when at his restaurant LOL

13 kirsten { 03.20.13 at 7:49 pm }

The two asian bratz suffer from reverse snobery /racism. They can,t cook and they wish they were white. Manu apparently has an asian partner. Dont waste your time.

14 Littlepetal { 03.20.13 at 7:56 pm }

The ad just gave away who is leaving tonight. Not that we need to know ad we already know

15 Anna { 03.20.13 at 8:15 pm }

Littlepetal, the editing is amazing this year LOL

16 Littlepetal { 03.20.13 at 8:27 pm }

Finally A&S will be in sudden death cook off. I hope it happens sooner than later

17 Anna { 03.20.13 at 8:32 pm }

Think they are going up against Jenna and Joanna

18 Ann { 03.20.13 at 9:17 pm }

I am not sure who will win tonite – leaning towards Angela & Melina. Find Sophie & Ashlee immature, rude mixed with lack of class and intelligence. Looking forward to seeing who wins

19 Gabby { 03.20.13 at 9:54 pm }

Well what a load of bullshit. We were led to believe all sorts of exciting stuff was going to happen, and what happened, zero! What a big let down that show was. Every promo is getting worse. They didn’t show us what the Bitches had to say after they left, did they? I am so disappointed in this show this year. Angry and disappointed. What a load of rubbish about Jake and his siter’s dessert, completely load of shite.

20 Littlepetal { 03.20.13 at 10:06 pm }

Its so sad that it is not funny. We sort of know that when Ch7 want us to believe there is a disaster, there isn’t. If they show one team is in trouble, we know they are safe.

They were still promoting shock elimination and one of your favourites got eliminated. They are all favourites to different people.

Looking forward to Josh and Joanna standing up against Sophia. They still want to cook Asian and Josh said ” We walk straight into your trap and you win”

Joanna also said something about we will stuff it up for you when they have to cook as a group of 4 teams.

Noticed A and S sitting with the Bondi boys again. I guess no one want to sit with them.

21 Anna { 03.20.13 at 11:05 pm }

The judging is not consistent …. The team the producers want to do better does better… Total BS

Now with A&M gone looks like Bratz are starting shot fights with Josh/Andi & Jenna/Joanna. They are so bright! What moron cast then? It’s not controversy nor entertainment … It’s annoying to watch.

Feel for the contestants who had to put up with them, no one needs to be in that toxic environment

Sorry but Pete’s explanation re Pasta gate made no sence …

22 Littlepetal { 03.20.13 at 11:21 pm }

Angela called A and S behaviour spineless.

23 A.P { 03.20.13 at 11:31 pm }

I agree Anna, its just all so ridiculous.
Maybe Pete and Manu shouldn’t judge at all, just let the others do it with blind judgings but don’t tell them which team cooked each dish so they can’t work it out for themselves.
A&S look like they will go back to their nasty ways next episode, they need to concentrate on the cooking and be a bit more humble.
Couldn’t stand it if they get in the final showdown and win on an Asian dish, its all they can cook by the looks of it.

24 Cravatski Fat { 03.20.13 at 11:36 pm }

Ashlee and Sophia should still go very far in MKR…

Why?
1. Asian. Multiculturalism tokenism at work here and redneck guilt.
2. Producers respect shock value to bump up ratings…
3. Pete Evans cant keep his eyes of them & promotes Sumo Salad.
4. Manu Fieldel has an Asian girlfriend.
5. Daisy is their ‘hen’ mother…

25 Littlepetal { 03.20.13 at 11:37 pm }

If A and S is one of the final 2, I will not watch the finale.

26 Daisy { 03.21.13 at 12:07 am }

CF@74 Are you kidding??? I can’t stand those 2. They are ruining the show. Plus I don’t mother anyone over 18.

I am loving Joanna. She has a backbone.

I don’t know why MKR think we want to see them fight. I enjoy seeing them get along and have a laugh.

27 layla { 03.21.13 at 12:10 am }

Well an obvious conclusion as we all knew who was being eliminated, but can I just say BRAVO to channel 7 for showing that ad promoting Ashlee and Sophia’s “next victims.”… I mean Angela and Melina hadn’t even served up their main course and channel 7 are already informing us that they’re getting the boot. I just can’t with their level of genius. It’s honestly mind-blowing….

By the looks of the previews it seems the other teams are turning on Ashlee and Sophia to give them a taste of their own medicine. I won’t be surprised if Ashlee and Sophia are in the final 3 or hell even the grand final but will they win? God no. No matter how much Pete praises them and even with all the 10’s in the world, the producers would not have promoted these girls as the nasty villains, wanting to make us viewers turn off our TV every time their faces appear on our screens only to have them win the grand finale. Viewers would be outraged and would most definitely refuse to tune into future series – the producers would not make stupid decisions on something that is so important to them (the ratings).

Anyway, I am so thrilled for Jake and Elle, those kids CAN cook. The mummas did their best but it appeared to me it was their time management that let them down and since they’d been in sudden death before you knew they weren’t gonna be around too much longer. It was sad to see them go, but I’d rather them loose to a team like Jake and Elle then to someone like Kerrie and Craig or the obvious Ashlee and Sophia. Anyway, looks like they’ll be back in the next couple of weeks along with the others.

I too noticed again Bondi Boys sitting with Ashlee and Sophia. Scott has a girlfriend, but who knows maybe Luke and Sophia have hooked up on the side. I think I read he said he was single but still a possibility. I’d loose a lot of respect for him if he’d date someone as childish and rude as her but who knows what he’s into besides Pete that is.

28 Daisy { 03.21.13 at 12:14 am }

Interesting theory Layla. So who do you think will win?

29 layla { 03.21.13 at 12:27 am }

My money has been on Jenna and Joanna for quite some time now Daisy and I think I’ll keep it with them. Bondi Boys are a close second due to the fact they haven’t produced a bad dish…yet. Jake and Elle are a strong contender for third.

I’d love to see a male team take out the prize since we had a female team win the last 2 series, but it’s hard to say, it’s honestly anyone’s game. It only takes 1 bad dish to send you packing. Who I want to win though is definitely Jake and Elle. They are young and honestly have a lot of passion for food, especially Jake. They’ve both said they want to open a restaurant someday so this would be an amazing opportunity for them to fulfil their dream.

You?

30 Daisy { 03.21.13 at 12:37 am }

For cooking probably J&J but mainly due to Joanna. But it could be Jake and Elle. Josh and Andie seem to be creative but lack certain skills. I don’t mind if the the Bondees win or Sam and Chris, but I can’t see it happening.

As you say anyone could win. It depends on the twist on the night.

I’d like to see A&S out asap.

I love the way Jake and Elle get on so well with each other and the other contestants.

I hope we get to find out why the Bondees keeps sitting with A&S. It might be because they are to slow to sit down and get the only empty places.

31 Anna { 03.21.13 at 9:03 am }

AP, no matter who judges the producers will manipulate the shows… So tired of watching reality TV scripted to the microsecond

The producers might be telling the teams where to sit as some couples sit at tables for 2. No matter what happens in the next challenge where Braces ONLY wants to cook Asian food, she’ll end up in sudden death

‘Interesting’ that the food is labeled ASIAN & not Vietnamese nor Cambodian. Flavored water sorry I mean dipping sauce & finger food does not make it ASIAN food. At least they should make it authentic

I think I mentioned that Bratz will need a new victim & more then likely it will be Jenna or Chris. Guess they didn’t count on Joanna to give them a serve …,