The Block Finale – And The Winner Is….

Well after over an hour of recap montages we finally got to the reserve prices but we were still not at the auctions.  However first congratulations must go to Scott Cam who has turned into the Eddie Maguire of reality TV for drawing things out.

There were mainly winners tonight but unfortunately for Duncan and Mark it was a tad disappointing. However to the auctions.

The first house to go to auction was Josh and Jenna’s. Their reserve was $1.375 million, both theirs and Amity and Phil’s reserve were set higher than the others but not by much.  It was a slow start for Josh and Jenna but it then kicked off and sold for $1.65 m for a profit of $275,000.

Auction number two was Duncan and Mark but where was Dale? The  poor sod had to stand out in the holding room with Shelly and the other teams, whilst the boys were on the couch with Scott Cam.  This seemed a bit unfair.  I wonder if he was going to get a split of any profit made.  Their reserve was $1.345 million. It stalled on $1.35 million clearly the fish tank was not going lure the buyers in. It ended up selling for $1.37 million they made a small profit of $25,000. They were clearly disappointed. Scott Cam again could not think of much to say except it is just a sign of the real estate market in Sydney. Thankfully Duncan stepped in to fill the silence. It was probably their design that did them in as it was so unique and people spending that amount of cash would have a lot of their own stuff. Also their back yard was totally impractical they turned it into a walkway.

Dan and Dani were next their reserve was $1.355 milion and it sold for $1.575 million making a good profit of $220,000. They also made over $400,000 last year so they must be very happy indeed.

Last  to go for sale was Amity and Phil’s house their reserve was $1.375 million and they sold it for $1.67 million obtaining a profit of $295,000, which made them  the winners of The Block: All Stars. Add in the extra $100,000 for winning and they made a well deserved $395,000 all up.

Poor Duncan and Mark everyone reaped the rewards of The Block:All Stars except them.

1 Mia { 03.20.13 at 10:15 pm }

A very satisfying result. Phil and Amity totally deserved the win. Gorgeous house and good people. Congrats to them.
I felt bad for Mark and Duncan. They deserved a bit better profit. Having said that, their house would only appeal to a very niche market. I didn’t really like their styling (especially the bathroom). Great guys though, and I loved watching them.

Already looking forward to the next ‘regular’ season!

2 Tickled Pink { 03.20.13 at 10:24 pm }

I can’t help but think a little bit of karma came in to play tonight with Amity and Phil beating Josh and Jenna! Very happy that A&P won well deserved! But sad for the boys.. They deserved more of a profit, Nice boys always finish last unfortunately :(

3 bella vita { 03.20.13 at 11:24 pm }

So happy that they won.
Loving the insincere clapping from Josh. I think Jena is pregnant…she was looking quite puffy (and started wearing pants a lot which she never did)
Disappointed for Mark and Duncan….Dale did better from the deal than they did.

The winners of the series however were Iselect and Mitre10…two businesses I will never ever buy from

4 nate { 03.20.13 at 11:30 pm }

I couldnt understand why the boys had a kids bedroom but a very unkidfriendly backyard.. I think this lost some market… either be afamily home with sspace for the kids to play or dont

5 Eliza { 03.21.13 at 12:14 am }

I was very relieved that Phil & Amity won. Don’t mean to be spiteful (well, maybe just a little…), but I wouldn’t have felt content with Josh & Jenna winning. Their house was beautiful but their constant whinging and contradictory comments through the series really turned me off.

Disappointed for Mark and Duncan (and Dale). It would have been nice to see them walk away with a bit more profit, however they definitely did shoot themselves in the foot with all the crazy styling choices. I agree that for the money spent, you wouldn’t want to be making too many adjustments. I also agree with nate – the house did seem a bit confused with the kids room then their really being no other kid friendly elements to the house.

I am kinda sad though that it is all over!

6 Kareena { 03.21.13 at 12:20 am }

I would like to know why online it said the Auction times where >
Amity & Phil – 12 Tasman Street, Bondi NSW 2026 Auction: Tue 19-Mar-13 2:00PM
Dan & Dani – 6 Tasman Street Bondi NSW 2026 Auction: Tue 19-Mar-13 5:00PM
Josh & Jenna – 8 Tasman Street, Bondi, NSW 2026 Auction: Tue 19-Mar-13 5:00PM
Mark & Duncan – 10 Tasman Street, Bondi, NSW 2026 Auction: TBA

And yet that makes it that Phil and Amity would have gone 1st at Auction J&J D&D at the same times ? going both 2nd at Auction.

What a crock of shit ,I feel for Mark Duncan/Dale .
What happened to their safe being opened ??
I would of also like to have seen their Laundry and linen press/storage.

So Glad Amity and Phil won over J&J !

7 Christina { 03.21.13 at 1:31 am }

So heartbreaking for Mark, Duncan and Dale! 2nd is the kiss of death it seems, perhaps they should have gone fourth when offered. (Kareeena i dont think that was a reliable source…or i think the auction times changed, doubt it was re-edited). But sadly yes their styling wasn’t to everyone’s taste..but that buyer certainly got a bargain as it wouldn’t take 200k to change the styling to your liking. I liked their kitchen/dining layout and gorgeous backyard…although admitly it wasn’t family friendly. They really were so nice, honest and funny good Aussie blokes. I really hope Channel 9 pick them up for a panel show or some kind of gig…and one that pays well!! They’d also be good spokespeople in advertising campaigns. Or radio. Hopefully they get a good agent and make some coin for their beautiful families. Just so sad for them, a real downer for the night :(

On the positive I quite enjoyed the episode and actually thought it wasn’t as drawn out as the Bbro or BLoser finals, for example. Was happy Phil & Amity won!

Just very sad for the boys…plus The Block production team…. and us as viewers….as this no doubt means less interesting rooms in coming seasons. No more horns but a lot more bland white, cream and grey.

8 JM { 03.21.13 at 6:48 am }

Relieved P&A won but couldn’t enjoy the result because I was so disappointed for the boys. They handled it well and were real gentlemen who hid their disappointment well.

How about replacing the gormless and boring Scott Cam who can’t do anything writhout a script or autocue (he really is embarrassing in the auction situations where he has to wing it verbally) with Duncan/Mark. Duncan would be a fantastic host of that show. Does anyone agree with me?

9 Lebay { 03.21.13 at 7:52 am }

What a good idea JM. An endless supply of bad Dad jokes!

10 Lebay { 03.21.13 at 8:05 am }

Better than replacing Scott, How about getting Mark and Duncan to run the challenges….. Better than Shelly….. At least Scott has some value…

11 drb123 { 03.21.13 at 9:31 am }

I’d like to think M&D will be considered for a home improvement show, or a Block regulars (hopefully taking place of the annoying Shelley). You only need two people to really want your house to drive a big profit, and they didn’t produce this (the backyard, while serene was a huge waste of space). While I don’t like J&J, they certainly created a lovely house

12 Maz { 03.21.13 at 9:33 am }

Disappointed for the boys and I still wonder what the profit split was between Dale, Mark and Duncan.

The Js must have been told to modify their on-screen behaviour. Though still did not buy into the sincerity of the consolation that Jenna was offering the boys.

Thought it was a bit harsh that Phil and Amity were blamed for the presence of the Dept of Fair Trading when it may have had more to do with the significant “profits” that were made last year.

What I would like to know if the winning are indeed tax free for all the contestants. Yes, generally a windfall gain is tax free but some of the contestants are trying to leverage business of appearing on the show and are in the business of renovating.

Hey Lebay, since you actually saw the properties, was the boys’ property really that bad? Or too customised?

I agree Jm, think Ch9 should find a role for Mark and Duncan.

13 Lebay { 03.21.13 at 9:44 am }

Maz,
Not only did I see the properties but I was on the show last night! I am the fat chick in the pink shirt that was talking to Phil and Amity about their bathroom….. My husband is now copping untold stick at work about his wonderful pink handbag….

The boys house was great. There were a few things that I didnt like, but how hard would it be to take them out and flog them on eBay ‘As seen on The Block’…. I think D&D and J&J’s places were much too safe. Loved the fishtank and the prop on the wall in the lounge. The Alice in Wonderland room was a bit much, but would not take much to pare back. Also the backyard was a bit unuseable if you had a pet or some kids, but I really liked it. Our kids are a bit old for backyard cricket, and I would love to sit by the fishpond with a book.
IMHO the best house won, and the boys were robbed by a dodgy auctioneer.

14 seepi { 03.21.13 at 10:13 am }

It is such a shame that bland white and grey wins the day. Not a good sign for the future series – which is why they have to focus more on how exhausted the contestants are, and the silly challenges etc, cos the actual renos are soooo boring.

but maybe mark and duncan and dale had a strategy for focus on getting airtime, for future work possiblities, rather than trying to win at acution – they certainly added interest.

15 PollyB { 03.21.13 at 10:32 am }

I was imagining the boys backyard once the plants had grown – on hot steamy nights in that little oasis, it would be heaven. However, it did not fit with the children’s bedroom, which would be a real pain to change.
Were the auctions held at the times mentioned by Kareena @ 6? I was truly thinking ‘rigged’. During P&A’s auctain Scott Cam said no they can’t stop there, and suddenly we have a huuuuge bid to get P&A $10K above J&J so they win All Stars. They won so much money during the series to ensure they could build what they wanted. Were they chosen as the winners from the beginning? Cyncial I know, but these ‘competitions’ are really long adverts.

16 Hailie { 03.21.13 at 10:42 am }

@ Lebay – i agree, the boys’ auctioneer was not that good.

im a dan and dani fan, and so was hoping that they would win, but am glad they sold after seeing how little M&D sold for! am glad that P&A won over J&J tho.

would be interested to hear what J&J and D&D thought about P&A offering their promotional services to the person who bought their house. i imagine there would have been a lot of bitching!

still think the block houses sell quite cheap considering its bondi and you have thousands of bucks worth of furniture etc in the house.

wonder how much brad the builder gets as a cut of phil and amity’s winnings? any guesses?

17 Hailie { 03.21.13 at 10:45 am }

@ maz – not sure if there would be a profit split with dale considering how small the profit was. at most it would be 10:10:5 but i almost doubt that..plus they gave dale the bike!

18 Mahlia { 03.21.13 at 10:51 am }

There’s a lot of sympathy for Mark and Duncan today.
But I think they bought about their own fate. Their styling was extreme and so they exluded many buyers.
A house with a child’s bedroom but no play room in the backyard.
A child’s bedroom that needed replastering and painting if you didn’t have a child.
A very polarising bathroom and kitchen – the biggest money earners in the house.

I don’t feel so sorry for them. They forgot about to style in preparation for an auction of wide demographic bidders.

19 PollyB { 03.21.13 at 10:59 am }

Dale would have to have been paid by the production company wouldn’t he? He wasn’t part of the comp, upheaval to his own business/earnings, ensuring the show was able to continue. I’d expect he’d have to be guaranteed something worthwhile.

20 AJ { 03.21.13 at 11:02 am }

I’m glad Phil and Amity won. Their house was the best by far.

I’m disappointed, but not surprised, that Mark and Duncan did so poorly. I’m not sure who they were trying to appeal to with their bizarre and inconsistent decorating. If they had at least managed to create a consistent “style” throughout the house, that would have helped them. But the only constant appeared to be over-sized items in each of the rooms which is a very niche market. The person who purchased their house will probably spend $50,000 removing the more extreme elements, putting it on the market again and making a very quick profit.

21 Hailie { 03.21.13 at 11:09 am }

@ pollyb @19 – i think ur probably right. dale might have signed on for a set fee from the production company and with no share in the profits from sale (or a share in the winnings left to M&D’s discretion pending on the amount).
I agree with everyone else about M&D styling letting them down and feeling disappointed for the boys, but not sorry for them.

22 Veronicali { 03.21.13 at 11:34 am }

Congrats to Phil & Amity.
Yeah I’d reckon Dale was handsomely paid, as they all would be, as “All Stars”
Ch 9 how about a home improvement show with Mark & Duncan, Dale for garden and Sophie for interiors?

23 Maz { 03.21.13 at 12:13 pm }

Thanks Lebay. If I manage to catch an encore screening shall keep an eye out for you. Really only saw the last half hour last night.

Agree AJ. The guy who purchase M&D’s place is going to make a quick profit in twelve months’ time.

24 Hailie { 03.21.13 at 12:17 pm }

seems the next season of the block set in melbs – i thought it was going to be another in bondi! The Block: Sky High will set its contestants the challenge of turning a drab Melbourne motel into a high-end apartment tower.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/the-block-finale-towers-above-mkr-20130321-2ggye.html#ixzz2O8HuoYNy

25 Reality Raver { 03.21.13 at 12:37 pm }

Lebay – Noooo I think I have deleted the show I will have to record it again to see you.

Haile – I agree I wonder what cut Brad is getting and so he should as Phil said he had a lot of input into design etc.

Re: the auctioneer for the boys house I think it was their house that stopped it from going. Backyard too impractical and if you did not like the design you probably were not going to purchase it as you would have to change it too much. For example if you did not have kids it would cost to re do their kids room including removing the bunk from the roof

26 Anna { 03.21.13 at 3:16 pm }

Boys kids bedroom was good BUT the garden was not practical for someone with kids… beautiful but not practical.

The horns inclusions and the propeller can be removed…. may be a ‘family’ friendly garden without fishes could have earned them more

27 Bea Tee { 03.21.13 at 8:09 pm }

I agree with the comment you made RR re Mark and Duncan and the backyard design. PLUS the bathroom – sheesh! Totally not buyer friendly on so many levels. JJ and DD had the right idea, reno the house with the buyer in mind and not the weekly win in mind. Still $25,000 is a bit poor.

28 CAM { 03.21.13 at 8:17 pm }

I am not ashamed to admit I did an actual fist pump with P & A won….I just did NOT want J & J to win at all!! Thrilled the best house won the Block All Stars and rapt for P & A who seemed lovely. Their house HAD to win: three bedrooms, a study, two bathrooms….or you could easily convert the third bedroom if you wanted more living space. It was miles ahead of the others and it showed.

I felt gutted for the boys. Glad to hear Duncan was also given a travel voucher by iSelect…I thought it was a bit off that Mark received one when Duncan had done all the hard work.

Anyone else notice Jenna terribly over done hair and make up? She looked like a prom queen!! I bet she’s curse when she watches the footage 😉

29 Lebay { 03.22.13 at 7:06 am }

After some booze and a brainstorming session last night (please read drunken bitch session) we have come up with the PERFECT show for Mark, Duncan and Dale….. They can have a lifestyle type show, kinda like Backyard Blitz, but where they come over and fix what your husband f**ked…. Id watch that….. Hell, I have the first house they can come to!

30 Georgie { 03.22.13 at 7:40 am }

Lol Lebay, glad your head is clear enough this morning to share that. I’d also watch it and I’d strongly suggest the ‘husband’ did too.

31 Lebay { 03.22.13 at 9:05 am }

The husband should be forced to watch, maybe taped into a chair… with a ball gag… Maybe using all the duct tape they remove from whatever was ‘fixed’ I cant have the only husband that thinks duct tape and a hammer is all you need to fix anything

32 Georgie { 03.22.13 at 9:37 am }

I think over tightened screws need to be used to help secure the husband in the chair. Once the slot becomes unusable he’ll be ‘screwed’ so to speak.

33 Lebay { 03.22.13 at 10:51 am }

I love the way you think Georgie!

34 carnival cruise new orleans louisiana { 04.19.13 at 10:12 pm }

Whats up! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for
the great data you will have here on this post. I shall be coming back to your blog for more soon.