Masterchef Australia Has Started Filming And They Would Be Feeling The Pressure

Masterchef Australia has started filming in Melbourne and there will be a different mood on set from previous years. This year for one of the first years since it started they will not be filming as the top reality cooking show on our screens.

In fact there is a lot of pressure not helped that Masterchef Professionals did not rate as well as they hoped. To be fair the Professionals series was good television most of the time, but was up against My Kitchen Rules that was pumping out the drama.

George Calombaris talks about the pressure in today’s Daily Telegraph.

It will be interesting to see if the producers of Masterchef will try and amp up the drama, the back stories and the inter-contestant dynamics or if they will focus on the cooking.

One of things I hope they get rid of this year were the immunity pin challenges where the person could win a pin off the back of other peoples good cooking. That never made sense to me. I would also like to see George, Gary and Matt Preston intespersed with more guest judges like Dan Hong, Chris Mansfield, Donovan Cooke and other established stars of the culinary scene.

What would you like to see on this series of Masterchef?

1 mtats { 03.25.13 at 1:57 pm }

i would like to see it filmed and shown in High Definition, adds a big layer to the way food looks

2 brain dead dave { 03.25.13 at 2:06 pm }

It’ll be the same. People who can’t cook , crying a lot.

3 Joseph Skyrim { 03.25.13 at 2:10 pm }

I’m looking forward to seeing Gary and George again. Hope Marco and ch10 are willing to do another professional series later on too! :)

4 2paw { 03.25.13 at 2:18 pm }

Fewer people crying, in fact less crying all round.
Fewer challenges that are based on stupidly short amounts of time.
More emphasis on the cooking and seeing ALL the food made.
More blind tasting.
And none of that weird thing where contestants do timey-wimey talking after they’ve cooked, pretending they don’t know what has/was/is happening. (I know, the tenses are all wrong)

5 Tanya Murphy { 03.25.13 at 2:31 pm }

Interactive scratch and sniff pages that work with the show so we can smell these awesome foods

6 Daze { 03.25.13 at 2:40 pm }

Off topic, but just read that Manu is cooking on Grand France 3 week cruise in June. Gary and George are cooking on a 3 week cruise Amsterdam to Budapest at the end of August, just after filming I presume which generally is about 3 months I think. Half their luck.

As for changes for next series of MCA, would like to see less obvious editing and rigging (for ratings) – can we please just have a serious cooking show without the tears. Drama in the kitchen will always exist but Ch.10, please don’t ‘stage’ the show.

7 Joseph Skyrim { 03.25.13 at 2:46 pm }

What I’d like to see -less- off is stuff like “describe your journey”, “what does it mean to you to be in the competition”, “tell us of your food dream”, and backstory overkill.

I’d like to see -more- cooking! :3

8 Rachel @ Reality Chick { 03.25.13 at 2:53 pm }

AGREE Joseph. Far less of the sob stories, which – like American Idol ones – are just fecking boring.

And, actually giving them a decent slab of time to whip something up would be nice.

9 Daisy { 03.25.13 at 3:16 pm }

It might sound cheesy but I really would like to see some inspirational cooking. I don’t watch the usual, boring cooking shows where you watch and learn how to make a dish but I like shows that make me google recipes and try them. MC does that and MKR used to before the drama took over.

10 JK { 03.25.13 at 3:22 pm }

I am looking forward to the series being filmed in Melb :)

11 Maz { 03.25.13 at 3:25 pm }

No more sob stories. If they want back-stories Ch10 should produce a local version of Dr Phil.

Also a judge that knows Asian food.

The contestants should not utter the words “I have never cooked before…” dishes/techniques that have featured in every single series including:
-pasta
-risotto
-scones
-tempering chocolate
-filleting fish
-mayonaise/aoli
-beating egg whites
-pastry
Though we could play bingo and devise a list before the season commences and gradually tick the list off.

12 hailie { 03.25.13 at 4:12 pm }

@ 6, 7 ,8 : agreed would like to see far less crying and obvious editing.

one of the most irritating things about MC is how they drag out the announcement of how something tastes or who goes home etc – its so predictable that you can change channel, go to the toilet, make a cup of tea and return without worrying that youll miss anything – all before it even cuts to that annoying fire/logo screen shot and ad break.

if i have to see matt preston pause with that smirk on his face again ….ohh the tension…yeh right. one of the best things about MC professionals was that Marco would just say immediately who was going home or who had lost without any sappy or faux drama.

MC needs to just cut the crap and focus on cooking like it used to. MKR used to do that and it was great and rated well. But now MKR has started fake drama and moved away from cooking and everyone is complaining.

13 Culinary Boner { 03.25.13 at 4:26 pm }

More offal, less sweets.
More chilli, undercooked garlic and Asian dishes for George.
More lashings of Western Star butter.
Another failure to get a stock manufacturer (now Campbells’ stock is on MKR?) and then continued but inconsistent demands by Gary and George that contestants use 95% of their allocated cooking time to make a lovely stock from scratch.
More hot MILFs and less bunny-in-headlights, twenty-something blonde babes – mainly so George and Gary don’t go the grope again (or play favourites by waiving the stock-from-scratch rule for said babes).
More players and root rats, a la Chris Badenoch.
Less cringe worthy fawning over the visiting the celebrity chefs.
More restaurant service challenges.
The return of Jake.
More bogans. More hipsters. Less scones.
A Batman challenge that involves Matt Preston emulating The Penguin.
More exotic ingredients that we’ll be on the look out for at Coles. Penguin? Whale meat?
Status Quo doing “Roll Over Lay Down” live.

14 The Idiot Box AU Blog { 03.25.13 at 4:35 pm }

Best chance for Masterchef to succeed is to follow the formula that made it successful in the first place.

No need to try and copy the drama of MKR for ratings. Masterchef: The Professionals was well liked by everyone, it was just put in a bad timeslot against MKR – and hence the ratings suffered.

15 brain dead dave { 03.25.13 at 6:00 pm }

Time to junk Jowl$y. I’ve literally seen too much of him.

16 Carole { 03.25.13 at 7:14 pm }

I think it should do better than the Professionals, since it won’t be up against MKR. It didn’t rate too badly on Sunday nights when it wasn’t on.

17 Daisy { 03.25.13 at 8:23 pm }

I think MCP gained credibility and viewers as it progressed whereas MKR might be doing the opposite so far this season.

18 Jaycee47 { 03.25.13 at 9:55 pm }

It should be like MasterChef UK where it is all about the cooking and less about the contestants! The to-cameras grabs here are seriously a turn off! How obvious….I don’t want to get eliminated today so I will do my best….well hello!!!! Are we stating the obvious!! Less of the to-camera grabs would be a start! And let’s get on with the cooking and showing EVERY dish cooked liked the UK version does.

19 Sree Vani { 03.25.13 at 10:43 pm }

Love the new characters in Home and Away and how they interact with Heath Braxton (Dan Ewing)

20 Culinary Boner { 03.26.13 at 8:59 am }

A mystery box challenge featuring Krill Oil and Horny Goat Weed. C’mon Ten, you know you want to.

21 Gabby { 03.26.13 at 12:12 pm }

More blind tasting. Show every dish.

22 brain dead dave { 03.26.13 at 12:38 pm }

A new name for the show. I suggest;

” Sweating , Double- Dipping , Deluded Wannabes “

23 A.P { 03.26.13 at 8:40 pm }

Back to basics, no background sob stories, easy to find ingredients from Coles, no deconstructed messes or scientific stuff, let us see all the meals,blind tastings, no immunity pins, no bullying of contestants judges don’t like, show all contestants instead of ignoring some til over half way through like Andy from last year who came out of nowhere to win, we hardly got to know him.
No crying or saying they’ve never done something before and judges don’t make pigs of themselves by eating too much.

24 norbert { 03.29.13 at 12:25 am }

i love masterchef. it’s better than mkr which is all about the drama and bitchiness.

25 Daisy { 03.29.13 at 12:31 am }

The thing that spoils the MCP show for me after awhile is that too many of the dishes are “English” and some of them seemed a bit “same-again”. I know it is England but the food looks heavy. I will, however, watch it again and see if they have some variety.

26 Cory { 03.30.13 at 10:24 am }

My Kitchen Rules was just hours and hours of nastiness. I didn’t watch more than ten minutes of it.
If MC tries to copy the ‘drama’ with their own horrible bitter fire spitting squabbles and tears… ain’t watching it. I’m interested in good genuine people. Not a bunch of whining sabotaging assholes.

27 Norma { 04.25.13 at 6:31 pm }

Are you kidding me. DONT change anything .. Love it. I use to be a pie in the microwave type of cook. . Now get out of my way in the kitchen .
Masterchef showed me that normal people can be great cooks .
If it aint broke. Dont fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 Miss Bubbles { 05.05.13 at 3:51 am }

Cant wait for this season to start !!!
Waiting for ur witty comments BDD and CB and George :)
I just found this forum a month ago and boy am i addicted :))

29 Emulen { 05.06.13 at 7:52 am }

A mystery box with Swedish fermented herring..(surströmming)
The most epic Adriano Zumbo creation to date.
A judge with knowledge of Asian cuisine .
Scandinavian themed cooking for a change
Some more non Australian proteins like Moose or elk .
Bring back some of the chefs loosing a chef challenge for a shot at redemption.

30 New Englander { 05.13.13 at 2:17 am }

We love Masterchef Australia and only wish it were aired in the US. The US version stinks and we don’t watch it at all. We’ve tried several new things based on the cooking challenges and really like the contestant stories and the Master Classes too. Please please bring the show to the US.

31 natasja { 05.28.13 at 11:09 pm }

I love watching Masterchef Australia, as George always say food is made from the heart let this show be from the heart America gives us enough drama, sobbing, fake taste of life let this be about food and a festival of joy to watch.

32 Bobby Allen { 06.02.13 at 11:26 pm }

I like the USA format the most.

33 MIUAWGA { 06.03.13 at 1:01 pm }

I’d love to see :
– The tasting of the dishes when the dishes are actually still hot. I cannot understand how the judges can pretend the dishes are still yummy when they are aready cold.
– Less crying also, just share their joy of cooking.
– Please don’t do any bitching as I hated that in MKR. It is a family show and I want to teach my children the good sides of human nature.
– More real life challenges. I wonder if they let local people know in advance so we can try their food.
– I want to see a challenge for people with food allergies – cooking with no nuts, dairy, egg… and see if they can still make good dessert.

34 Zee Chen { 08.13.13 at 4:01 am }

Love the Au version. So much better than the US version.
also I love what I learn from the AU version. It is very well rounded. Teaching and competition. We love it.

35 Charlene { 08.22.13 at 9:15 pm }

What a poor display of a Masterclass for the final five with Rishi & Samira baking bread with dough already made and excluded for a significant portion of the class. I thought the two, given they’ve made the final five would be at least well included in the last half of the Masterclass but Samira wasn’t shown to be included for a single tasting even given she could eat both of the last two dishes, chicken & cupcakes. Their appears to be obvious favoritism in this show. The judges should be doing blind tastings going forward, otherwise this poor display of exclusion or obvious favoritism may continue. I can only hope there are no elements of what appears to be a degree of potential racism.
Get it together Masterchef by showing all your contestants treated fairly & equally.