River Cottage Australia – Paul West To Host

Unknown chef, Paul West, has grabbed the coveted role of host of River Cottage Australia. The 29 year old chef has currently lives in Tasmania and has worked in all areas of food production from a volunteer organic fruiterer to the country’s top restaurant, Vue De Monde. He also holds a certificate in Permaculture Design.

For those who don’t know the original series with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is set on his farm and in his restaurant in England. It is very much farm to plate as well as using seasonal produce. For some reason I had thought Fearnley-Whittingstall would be fronting this series, however he was in Australia this week to film the first episode of the show.

Lifestyle Cottage has also bought a “cottage” in the South Coast of NSW in Central Tilba. It is a former dairy farm.

West said: “I am humbled and incredibly honoured to be offered this role. To be honest, it really hadn’t sunk in until I was walking down the steps of River Cottage last week, cameras rolling for the first time, and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was walking up the drive, waving at me.

“I know that I could never fill Hugh’s shoes, and luckily I don’t have to – because he’s still wearing them. We share the same vision and passion for food and its production on a local, regional and national level. I hope that through River Cottage Australia I can educate and empower people to make strong decisions in relation to the food they buy and the meals they prepare.”

Paul West had decided if he obtained the role he would propose to his girlfriend so not only has he got a new show but also a wedding to plan. (Source: News.com.au)

River Cottage Australia is produced exclusively for The LifeStyle Channel by ITV Studios Australia and will be seen on our screens later this year. Even without Hugh this will be an interesting program to watch for both fans of the UK version or newbies to the franchise.

1 Georgie { 03.25.13 at 11:08 am }

Bugger, Fox again. I’ll have to dust off my Permaculture Certificate and get down and dirty in the garden. There’s nothing more satisfying than harvesting produce from your garden and serving it up for a meal.

2 gidgetvonlarue { 03.25.13 at 3:01 pm }

Isn’t there already some ex restaurant critic type fella doing the same thing in Tasmania on TV? Can’t think of the name – but he’s farming, growing, cooking etc. Still – I’ll watch this. I could not do it (too lazy)but I love watching people do it.

3 Reality Raver { 03.25.13 at 5:45 pm }

Gidget – you are thinking of Matthew Evans on Gourmet Farmer

4 Sioux Denim { 03.25.13 at 5:49 pm }

Love Matthew Evans’s show….he would have been a great choice, but gather he wouldnt want to uproot his family and lifestyle to move back to NSW…
Pity this on Foxtel, would really liked to have seen this.

5 Kaye { 03.27.13 at 6:01 pm }

I will be watching developments eagerly, to see if the producers will be interested in the history of this property at Central Tilba. My gr-grandfather (son of an Irish immigrant to Australia in 1838) was the original owner of the dairy farm. He was also a gold miner on Mt Gulaga in the early 1880’s and was an original founder, director and chairman of the ABC Cheese Factory in Central Tilba. One of his sons (my grandfather’s brother) and his family remained on the property after his death, lived in this very house and continued the dairy farm. His two elderly daughters are still living at Kiama today. Cheers and the very best of luck with the Australian series, I have absolutely enjoyed the River Cottage UK series.

6 Tash { 06.03.13 at 6:01 pm }

Thrilled it’s not Matthew Evans, I can’t stand him! The Gourmet Farmer is just a rip off of The River Cottage and a grossly inferior one at that! Bring on the ever inspring Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I know our household is really looking forward to watching River Cottage Australia.