The Biggest Loser – The Half Marathon Saw Some Teams Thrive And Others Crack

The reason they have to have the really really heavy contestants is that they bring the most drama, Cher the heaviest female in the house and Kevin Moore both look like they are struggling. It would be hard as they are lugging around excess baggage that most people would not be able to carry if it was luggage.

Even Commando admitted tonight he cannot lift 254 kilos. Would have thought he could bench press that with one hand. It is a wonder Kevin can even stand.

Also Cher may have a excuse for being morose and not just because her chocolate supply is cut off. In TV Week it reported she lost three or four friends in a car crash and the day she was meant to enter the house was the day of their funeral.

With Kevin looking like he is going to quit with Cher or Cherlisa not far behind, it does make you wonder what the success rate of the show is. TV Tonight actually asked Michelle Bridges this question in a recent interview.

She told TV Tonight:

“We have a very good success rate and I would say it’s more than 50%. That said, I liken it to winning the lottery. You can invest in it wisely or you can blow it up against the wall. It just depends on the individual,” she says.

“Some of the past contestants you never hear from again and you wonder ‘Is that because they’ve fallen off the rails?’ Or is because they’ve got their own life to lead now? But there are others you have a lot of contact with. Many of them have gone on to become personal trainers, believe it or not!”

She also talks about why she does not think the tears and breakdowns are a negative thing:

“The thing I’ve learned, without sounding cliché, is that the more breakdowns and breakthroughs you have, the more lessons you understand about who you are and who you no longer want to be, the more likely they are able to stick with it on the outside. So that’s why we ask people to open themselves to the process and not bottle it all up and keeping those brick walls up.

“Let’s find out what roadblocks you have and what games you’ve been playing with yourself and your loved ones.”

There was definite excess baggage for both Mark and Chris as they were trundling around the track. Chris who is the father needs to find a bit more maturity and/or learn how to communicate with his son. Mark was super keen and competitive and Chris could barely be bothered making an effort and he is not THAT big. Maybe it was a metaphor about his parenting skills as it was revealed he had only recently reconnected with his son. He just seems emotionless.

Mark was wanting to go faster and in the end Chris unhooked himself and Mark gave him a shove and looked like he wanted to deck him. However after this exchange there was a classic Commando moment, as after Chris said he wasn’t in a horse race and Mark retorted that they were in a race, and Commando grinned and gave the thumbs up to camera.

The challenge tonight was to run a half marathon in teams of three, they all had to run the circuit once and then it was up to the teams to decide who would won. The winning team would get a one kilogram advantage in the weigh in. It was a no brainer that Michelle Bridges red team was going to win as they did not have Cher or Kevin in it.

The teams that were impressive were Gerard and Todd, Robyn and Katie, and surprisingly Janet and Kirsten. Brett was seriously moping the whole way around and told Shannan to f**k off, and shoved him and nearly landed the personal trainer on his arse. His mother never says a word to him maybe that is why he is so obese because she never told him no.

I also noted tonight that Shannan’s infomercial where he was stretching on some blue elastic and talking about krill oil again had the Natures Way logo at the bottom of the screen. If you missed the previous episodes Truman Show like product placement read about it here.

Which teams are your favourites at the moment?

The Biggest Loser Australia on TEN Sunday to Tuesday at 7.30pm.

1 MG { 03.27.13 at 12:44 am }

Absolutely agree with all the previous comments about not only product placement but also exploitation of the contestants. But, I was a big lad and still am and can completely understand the contestants accepting any terms to make sure they have a future. I have kids and would agree to anything if I was in their situation. I do think that the trainers need to adapt their methods to individual contestants though. The hard core yelling till you get action method might work for some but not others. I found the same thing playing rugby, positive reinforcement did more for me than the hard arse approach every time. Although I had teammates who loved having the coach ride them. Different strokes for different folks!

2 brain dead dave { 03.27.13 at 1:42 am }

I’m not inclined to believe Michelle Bridges’ claims that the emotional breakdowns the contestants have are beneficial…except to the producers ,perhaps.

More than once I’ve seen Dr Phil advise morbidly obese people that they have fallen into the trap of using food to manage their emotions. To suddenly take away the enormous amounts of food that the Losers are used to putting away leaves them quite vulnerable in this environment. Little wonder that we see the contestants bawling their eyes out or swearing at the trainers. The verbal abuse that Michelle and Shannan deal in , just unprofessional.

The majority of contestants put the weight back on after the show, which is why we don’t see them again. That’s another crock, Michelle Bridges.

3 Joseph Skyrim { 03.27.13 at 8:27 am }

The Commando grinning and giving a thumbs up to the camera (without saying a word) was the episode highlight for me.

@MG (1) – Positive reinforcement also works better for me I’ve found. Haven’t yet seen the trainers use the “make your team mate suffer” approach which I find super effective too. For example “get back up on that treadmill now or your mom runs another 10 kilometers.”

Anywho, interesting to see the mind set of some of these folks. Gerald we know can just keep pushing. The guy with the injured knee was still “dragging” the princess along. The girls who did two back to back laps with the commando. Also the girls (Same ones?) that walked up to meet Kev which inspired him to run. All awesome. On the other hand…

The guy that unclipped himself from his kid because he’s -tired-. Ohh I see now why you were separated for 5 years. Going got too tough and you just decided to “unclip” right? He’s on the right show. Definitely a loser.

And the other guy “ohhh I’m exhausted! f*** off!” then later ‘I’m not that person.” Yes you are you piece of garbage. Your MOTHER can out run you. That’s both a fact and an insult. That burst of energy he used to push Shannan (with an “a”?) was all he needed to jog the tiny bit his mom asked him to.

Obviously I wouldn’t make a very good trainer. 😛

4 chasingvegas { 03.27.13 at 8:57 am }

LOL, the Commando is a classic, honestly he needs his own show!

Love seeing them crack it & lose it at the trainers. I saw fear in Shannon’s eyes when Brett turned on him, another classic moment. Imagine if that was Tiffany, she would have ninja kicked him fair in the balls.

Sorry Brett, I’ve got news for you…you turned Michelle, you turned on Shannon….you ARE that person! (i look forward to him challenging the Commando & we’ll see how that goes down) His mother should have slapped him around the head & told him to wake up to himself.

Don’t really have any favourites, but it’ll will be interesting when ‘the game starts’ & they have to vote each other out, then we’ll see the parents true colours. I think the Pink team & the light blue team have the potential to be bitchy! can’t wait!!!

5 Veronicali { 03.27.13 at 9:27 am }

Yes, I was like, did Commando just give the thumbs up?! heh.

Agree that the yelling approach won’t work with everyone. Shannan was like a gnat being swatted away by the big guy.

At least Commando pointed out the difficulty the contestants have just moving that amount of weight around. Kudos to Kevin for even being able to walk at that size, lots of ppl would be bed-ridden.

6 Littlepetal { 03.27.13 at 3:20 pm }

So far Todd the youngest contestant is my favourite. He has a lovely face and his father is setting a good example by doing his best.

Sometimes when there is one child in a family that needs special attention due to health, injury or disability, the other sibblings can feel neglected and use food as an outlet.

I hope Todd will do well.

Not sure why Katie cries all the time.

7 Anna { 03.27.13 at 3:29 pm }

Not watching this year. Saw the promo when the BIG KEV walked in. Michelle’s jaw hit the floor

8 brain dead dave { 03.27.13 at 3:35 pm }

Big Kev pikes the next training session. I know the idea of Big Kev “hiding” is a bit far fetched but that’s what happens and Michelle has to search for him to chew his arse out. RR is right, the mega whales like BK are just there for the drama…he’s already used up a lot of camera time.

9 sarnias { 03.28.13 at 10:53 pm }

I’m watching it.
But for some reason, and it may just be me, but I am not getting into it as much as I have during previous seasons. Maybe because it is still early days, but I don’t know, it seems to be lacking something this season. Sure, we got the obese, sure, we got the eating to take away the pain thing, sure, we got the feeling guilty coz of the stress they put their families through by being so large, but, I don’t know.

Perhaps this show has run its course, as it seems to be a bit same old same old. Every year, “Fattest, largest person to ever hit the scales” until next year when an even fatter, larger person hits the scales.

Sorry for the cynicism, and I am not Nostradamus, but any money someone who is losing the pounds and doing well will be caught red-handed in the pantry snuffling some out-of-bounds treat like 20 kilos of yogurt or seven loaves of bread. Cue camera in their bedroom crying from the guilt from what they have done…NEK MINNIT, busted in the pantry again skulling 17 once a day protein shakes in the record breaking time of 3 minutes.

*no, BDD and I are not related.

10 seepi { 03.30.13 at 10:31 pm }

I watched the re-run tonight.

The family videos were sad. and quite real – they didn’t need to milk the emotion – it was right there. I was surprised how many of the partners felt so separate from their spouse, but were hanging in there anyway.

and I was amazed how many of them apparently sit in bed eating. Is this something people do?