Grand Designs Revisits Some Former Houses Starting April 15 On Lifestyle

Fans of the show will be interested in this two part special where , host Peter Maddison, goes back to look at some of the most-talked about building projects from the first season of Grand Designs Australia and asks the question: was it all worth it?

Lifestyle Channel reveals:

The two-part special returns us to the Surry Hills Small House and the Clovelly Modular.

In 2009, Architect Domenic Alvaro and his partner, Sue, bought small and built big in Surry Hills, Sydney. A tiny corner car park measuring just 7 meters x 6 meters was transformed into 220 square metres of luxurious, light-filled living space. Their vertical concrete house with one large room per floor and no wasted space became an ingenious solution to the issue of urban sprawl. But with no lift and 4 floors, we hoped they’d like stairs.

Now, Peter catches up with Sue and Dom and their brand new baby girl, Alessia. The house has since gained global recognition and the grand title of ‘World House of the Year 2011’. But what’s it been like to live in?  Has the novelty of over 47 steps worn off now they’ve extended the family?

In 2009, Julie and Patrick fast tracked the construction of their super slick, ultra-modern home in the Sydney beachside suburb, Clovelly, thanks to a firm of pre-fab builders in Victoria. Four top end modules built in a Melbourne warehouse were trucked to Sydney in a dramatic convoy, before being craned into place. The challenges (of which there were many) had less to do with the building and more to do with the site. And an ongoing water issue ensured their money was quite literally, going down the drain.

Peter re-visits the couple 3-years on to see how they’re enjoying their fabulous high-end house. We learn how they’ve settled in, whether it’s changed their lives and answer the key question: how is the water issue?

Grand Designs – Surry Hills Small House Revisited airs Monday, April 15 at 8.30pm

Grand Designs – Clovelly Modular Revisited airs Monday, April 22 at 8.30pm

1 Georgie { 03.28.13 at 11:41 am }

I’ve watched the UK Grand Designs on ABC for a couple of years and I love it. It amuses me, the amount of physical, mental, emotional and financial pain some people are willing to put themselves through. They come out the other end of the experience with a flogging great house, that they then have to maintain and keep clean. I can understand if you’re young and starting out I guess, but some of the people aren’t.

Grand Designs Australia – why Foxtel and not ABC I wonder?

2 nanaliz { 03.28.13 at 12:02 pm }

Georgie, I think Foxtel owns rights to Grand Designs UK and Oz as GD uk is on atm. You might find ABC has bought reruns of previous seasons. I watch it on Saturday night so probably on during week on 106 (austar).

3 Georgie { 03.28.13 at 12:15 pm }

Thanks nanaliz, that explains it, I’ve been watching old UK shows then. Maybe ABC have bought the old Oz shows too and I’ve just missed them. I’m not very organised with my viewing, unless I’m really hooked on something that is.

4 drb123 { 03.28.13 at 12:49 pm }

I’m pretty sure that the ABC has “second run” rights for the UK version in a Channel 4 deal that lets Foxtel run first.

The UK version is unbeatable, but the Australian version is very strong. Peter Maddison is a great presenter who really adds to the show. It is a bit of a rarity as these local remakes don’t always work out, just look at Australian Survivor and Top Gear

5 JK { 03.28.13 at 4:31 pm }

The UK eps on the ABC are great to watch, even re-runs are good. Some people have sooooo much money to spend though.