The Biggest Loser – Not The Injury That Was Expected

Oh those cheeky buggers on The Biggest Loser  they were building up the suspense of who would be taken away in an ambulance. Would it be Big Kev infarcting because he is just so big? Or was it Amber who was struggling.

In the end it was Brett with a broken hand. It was a pity because the former basketball player and fan was having one of the best days ever. He was genuinely happy. However in a game with the other contestants Mark bumped into him and he tumbled over and crack.

He was distressed at first but then he was calm and was treated on site by a medic. It was slightly bemusing that each weekend amateur sports people are taken to hospital casualty departments by their family and friends in cars. However maybe it is policy on the Loser set that any injury or trip to hospital must be via an ambulance even though in this instance a medic may have been available to travel with him. You have got to love those sirens.

I am liking this year’s series of The Biggest Loser, the three episodes a week means there is not as much filler and it is much pacier. Also the back stories or emotional journeys are connecting with me. I have genuine empathy for their situation and food addiction.

In fact hopefully the show will be manipulated so Gerald and Todd win the $250,000. Who could not be moved when Gerald spoke about losing their home because the cost of staying at the hospital took its toll. His daughter was born with Spina Bifida and a heart condition which has required extensive medical treatment. He has also said at times he has been working two or three jobs at a time.

Also it was interesting when Kirsten and Janet were looking at their photos that Kirsten revealed that a major stress had occurred in the household when she was a teen and that is when she took to her room and started eating excessively. We were never told what was causing so much stress in the house but it may get revealed later.

Clearly for some contestants life events may have had an impact on them, as Brett also revealed in a previous episode he can’t remember being happy after the age of 12. I don’t want to know about things they may not want to reveal but hopefully we will get to learn more about their life as it is interesting.

Sure criticisms have to be made about the intensity of the exercise and training however remember the contestants train without the celebrity trainers most days.

The Biggest Loser on Sunday to Tuesday at 7.30pm on TEN.

1 littlepetal { 04.02.13 at 3:24 pm }

I still think it is very wrong for Big Kev to be on 1000 cal a day. Cher is on 1000 cal a day. Every cat and dog is on 1000 cal a day if you want to lose weight. This is very wrong when you are not taking into account their starting weight and height.

I can make do with 1000 cals a day (if I want to lose weight but I don’t have much to eat) but I am only 64kg and Big Kev is 5 times my weight.

This is from the American College of Sports Medicine, the guru for exercise and nutrition:

The American College of Sports Medicine warns that your calorie intake should never be below certain minimum amounts. It advises that women should consume a minimum of 1,200 calories per day and men should consume 1,800 daily calories. If your calorie intake drops below these levels, your body will enter survival mode, slowing your metabolism and making it difficult to lose weight.

2 bron { 04.02.13 at 3:37 pm }

1,000 is ridiculous. considering these spuds work out for like 6 hours a day, what nutrients/fuel are they getting into their bodies. if i was eating just 1,000 calories a day and working out that much, i wouldn’t be able to get out of bed the next day. hilarious when the show producers/trainers complain that past contestants have put on weight. tell me how in the world can they keep up that forumla on the outside world? their bodies must be messed up.

3 LB { 04.02.13 at 3:42 pm }

Agree with you RR re Gerald & Todd. Gerald seems like a genuinely good person who has passed those traits onto Todd. They always seem to be the first to congratulate others or encourage them. Hope they don’t slip beyond the yellow line as I think they would have a target on their collective backs as they appear to work hard, don’t bitch & genuinely want to lose weight.

4 brain dead dave { 04.02.13 at 4:53 pm }

Tonight Uncle Fester lookalike Richard spits the dummy and refuses to adjust the teadmill incline for trainer Michelle. She cracks it at him, should be fun viewing.

Uncle Fester was the one blowing smoke up his own arse about bringing “oomph”‘ to the house and being successful on the outside. A successful wimp, perhaps. I ‘ve never liked him and the bollocks he bleats.

I can’t see a broken hand stopping Bratt shovelling lard down his gullet.

5 A.P { 04.02.13 at 6:06 pm }

Yes I hope Gerald and Todd win too, they deserve it.
In the Woman’s Day this week Lisa Curry has said its wrong to treat people this way, by humiliating and berating them the way they do. Apparently she had a real go at Michelle who says she is quitting although I didn’t get a chance to read the full story. If anyone else has seen it, please let us know.
The bullying on this show by the trainers is getting a bit much.

6 Littlepetal { 04.02.13 at 7:07 pm }

A.P. The story just speculate that Michele has too much on her plate with her other business doing so well, she may be quitting TBL. Hubby think she may be pregnant by then o_o

7 A.P { 04.02.13 at 7:18 pm }

Thanks for that, hasn’t she just split from her husband?
New Idea have the same story I found out, Lisa against Michelle.

8 Littlepetal { 04.02.13 at 7:22 pm }

Yes, she split with her husband but you still can get pregnant !!! The rumour is that she wanted to have children but not her husband and he is much older than her.

9 Golo i Wesolo { 04.02.13 at 7:45 pm }

“Who could not be moved when Gerald spoke about losing their home because the cost of staying at the hospital took its toll.”

Sounds like another bogus reality TV sob story designed to tug at people’s heart strings. What’s not to say that they were told to say that by the puppeteering producers?

After watching the total farce that is My Kitchen Rules and hearing about the exposed fake sob stories on X Factor etc., I don’t believe anything that comes out of reality TV contestants’ mouths anymore.

10 brain dead dave { 04.02.13 at 7:48 pm }

#9 ~Village Idiot: “I don’t believe anything that comes out of reality TV contestants’ mouths anymore.”

Then you know how I feel when I read one of your moronic posts, troll.

11 seepi { 04.02.13 at 9:14 pm }

the pictures of Gerald’s daughter in hospital and her scars were very scary.

I am also fascinated by what drama happened in Kirsten’s family to cause her to take to her room eating.

From watching this series I have decided that regularly eating in bed is a very very bad sign.

I wish Michelle would lay off the botox. for someone who needs to show a bit of emotion, her face does not work well. but shocked bulging eyes are kind of scary, but not in teh way she is after I’m guessing.

12 Veronicali { 04.03.13 at 7:22 am }

Kirsten said it was major family stress, so … parental discord/divorce? Same with Brett? Yeah, he didn’t need an ambulance.

RR have you seen Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, on Gem? Their weight loss regime is done over a year, the trainer -lovely bloke, Chris something- lives with them for the first three months, they have a room in their house converted to a gym. And at the end they get skin removal surgery before their big reveal.

13 Georgie { 04.03.13 at 7:47 am }

I had a friend who had excess skin removed after dramatic weight loss. She used to tell her lovers she’d been attacked by a shark.

14 Natalie { 04.03.13 at 6:54 pm }

Do you think Shannan was doing another little advertisement for Weetbix when he talked to “the kids” about different low cal breakfast options. I then noticed Weetbix was advertised during the commercial break after that…

15 Littlepetal { 04.03.13 at 7:03 pm }

And Cher said it taste good too. Really?

16 Littlepetal { 04.03.13 at 7:35 pm }

Next week Mama KeV blows up and protects her baby.

17 fiona { 04.03.13 at 10:42 pm }

Did anybody notice on Tuesdays episode during the break there was an ad for Sunday night and it totally spoiled the weight in coz kev and mum were in the elimination room with the trainers and kevs mum is going off at the trainer defending kevs eating habits. Then at the end of the episode the preview also said the trainers would be the ones voting a team out of the house. So we know one of the two teams that fall below the yellow line wonder who the other team will be???

18 brain dead dave { 04.03.13 at 10:47 pm }

Michelle and $hannan should be eliminated. They’ll say anything for money.

Only Commando has any cred left.

19 Littlepetal { 04.03.13 at 10:54 pm }

Only a little left from Commando. He is also flogging Krill oil

20 brain dead dave { 04.03.13 at 10:59 pm }

I take that back. I didn’t know. He’s on Satan’s payroll, too, now.

You’d rather look good than be good, Commando-you wimp.

21 Joseph Skyrim { 04.04.13 at 12:04 pm }

Hehe yeah Shannan was advertising Weetbix, though not as heavy handed as the previous product. Must have missed commando doing his advert though? I know he had his training tips last ep where he was doing squats (RR would have been drooling I guess :P) and at the end he mentions something like, “If you are over 40 then you may get soreness in your knees. Take some [generic med type] supplement to ease any discomfort.”

This is directly followed by Shannan’s [branded med] ad. Also, good to see the old standing-on-block torture method going strong. Modified slightly with the water and the very short and cushioned “stands”.

You can see a more correct (sadistic) version if you ever get to watch the polish fantasy series Witcher (Wiedźmin) episode 1. The thing you stand on is around waist/chest high, and you only have room for one foot and a bit to stand on. In the show I think punishment for falling off was a whipping followed by resetting your time to stand on that thing. Either they finished their time or they die. Obviously can’t do that in reality tv though. 😛

22 Reality Raver { 04.04.13 at 1:07 pm }

Veronicalli – no I haven’t I will have to see if I can find it.

Joseph Skyrim – LOL I think Commando is getting even better with age.

Natalie – I noticed that little infomercial as well.

Little Petal – Cher is the go to person for the infomercials on The Biggest Loser

23 Anonymous { 04.07.13 at 5:26 pm }

Argh, the ambulance infuriated me. The use of the ambulance was so innappropriate. With a gym full of cast, crew and support, nobody could drive him over to the local hospital? It just reinforces all the stupid reasons people call ambulances for.

24 brain dead dave { 04.07.13 at 5:34 pm }

Not sure I’d want a sweating lardarse in the car, wrecking the seats and suspension , plus the extra fuel consumption. Could be picked up by the cops for overloading. Why risk it?

25 littlepetal { 04.07.13 at 5:38 pm }

Remember in the previous series someone when to hospital but they showed it out of whack. He has the hospital tag when he was exercising in TBL house.