My Kitchen Rules – Did Sophia And Ashlee Get Gifted The Win?

Josh and Andi are indicating they were always going to leave the show after the elimination challenge win, lose or draw.

If this was the case and the producers decided to make the NSW girl team win, they actually missed the opportunity for a real shock announcement.

What would have been interesting if they had let Josh and Andi win. People at home would have been cheering then after the break have it revealed that the pair were leaving which meant Sophia and Ashlee were still in the competition. But maybe they did not want people throwing their remotes at the television.

In the SMH Josh and Andi are comforting themselves that they lost because they were leaving. I am not buying into that completely as it looked pretty close to me with what they dished up and the WA’s dessert was a melted disaster.

The SMH states:

Western Australian My Kitchen Rules contestants Josh Maldenis and Andi Thomas might have lost the sudden death round to Ashlee and Sophia on Wednesday night, but the pair have revealed they had already made a deal in advance to leave the show.

Thomas was suffering morning sickness at the time and she and partner Maldenis organised with producers that they would leave the show that night – whether they won, lost or drew.

“We knew we were going home, we had already organised that with the producers,” Thomas said.

“It was too hard with the pregnancy; we wanted to give it up.

She also addresses why she wanted to cook Asian:

While viewers might have thought the pair’s choice to cook an Asian meal while competing against Cambodian Sophia Pou and Vietnamese Ashlee Pham was ill-considered, Thomas said she made the decision for personal reasons.

“I’m half-Asian, so I decided I wanted to cook something that meant to me rather than something really fancy,” she said, in a nod to her Burmese father.

She also was not a fan of Sophia and Ashlee:

“If that was their tactic to win the comp, to carry on like that, to be nasty, then each to their own.

“They fight and call each other c..ts; they swear at each other, but that can’t be used in a commercial seven o’clock timeslot.”

They will not be in the episode on Sunday trying to cook they way back in the competition.

Also here is a great interview with Josh and Andi from Pop Sugar Australia.

My Kitchen Rules on Sunday at 6.30pm on SEVEN.

1 Dr T { 04.04.13 at 12:09 pm }

Many of us are half asian Andi… for example, I’m caucasian

2 Techhater { 04.04.13 at 12:36 pm }

#22 daisy thnx am officially retired so now have plenty of time on my hands

3 Daisy { 04.04.13 at 12:41 pm }

Lucky you techhater. I’m semi and loving it.

4 Gabby { 04.04.13 at 1:54 pm }

I don’t know whether to believe they were going to leave if they won or not? I’m just not sure. Somehow I don’t think they would have.
What do the rest of you think?
I cannot believe Pete and Manu give A & S the time of day if they hear them calling each other c–ts, what is wrong with those men? Why do they have this love affair with those two evil women?

5 Techhater { 04.04.13 at 2:11 pm }

#32 daisy plant ginger and tumeric in september in hot houses when the weather cools pull them up keeping the fattest for replanting. Mince them up with a stick blender and flatten and put in the freezer. Then u can snap off what u need. It keeps indefinitely in the freezer. Make sure u replant the fat ones you’ve kept aside straight away. Make sure u keep the water up to them send me a reminder and i’ll send u a tumeric root to plant

6 Daisy { 04.04.13 at 2:12 pm }

OK Gabby now I definitely think Golo robbed your name yesterday and posted. It just didn’t sound like you.

As for Andi and what’is name, I think they would have gone regardless. But I am sometimes gullible.

7 Daisy { 04.04.13 at 2:14 pm }

Thanks TH. I will pass all this on to the ‘gardener’. He’ll be most grateful.

8 nanaliz { 04.04.13 at 2:34 pm }

I so miss being able to grow rosemary up here, it’s just too wet. I thought I was going to have heaps of butternut pumpkins the other day but our resident cassowary wanted them more.

9 littlepetal { 04.04.13 at 2:54 pm }

I think they are serious of leaving and the producers knew about it. Or else they should be in the challenge for the eliminated contestants.

10 Culinary Boner { 04.04.13 at 3:10 pm }

“They fight and call each other c..ts …”

Well, thankfully they aren’t Kardashian sisters, because then you could swap “call” for a more active verb.

11 Culinary Boner { 04.04.13 at 3:11 pm }

“They fight and call each other c..ts …”

“Babe, how does this smell?”

12 drb123 { 04.04.13 at 4:01 pm }

Please let there be an online “Black Label” or “After Dark” leak of footage of these fights

13 Golo i Wesolo { 04.04.13 at 6:44 pm }

@ 6: I am perfectly capable of standing up for myself without the need to “hijack names,” thanks. Why not ask RR to check the IP before jumping to conclusions?

Fascinating how the racist, pro-white mentality is so pronounced around here that anybody who tries to stand up for minorities (whether it be Asians, Indians or any other group) is immediately labelled ‘Golo.’ I love it.

I tried to read this blog post of yours RR but I was so disgusted by Josh’s face that I could not read the rest. Sorry! The thought of his baby and what it will look like scares me to bits though.

14 brain dead dave { 04.04.13 at 6:50 pm }

You don’t post under the same name all the time.

You can’t hide your bigotry and delusions of adequacy, troll..

15 A.P { 04.04.13 at 9:48 pm }

Are you Asian yourself Golo?
Josh’s baby will be beautiful just like all babies are.

16 Christina { 04.04.13 at 11:00 pm }

Am sure a few remotes were thrown at the TV when they won anyway RR!

Was a close call, but personally I thought J&A would just scrap through – by the menu, how they looked and the judges comments. Was shocked! And disappointed.

Also I kind of get where Manu is coming from when he was raving about traditional cooking, but doesn’t it still have to taste good?

For sure the pregnancy would have played a part in J&As cooking – from hormones to morning sickness to not being able to stand certain smells and just not being able to focus. Not 100% sure they would have bowed out anyway.. it’s so close to the end! And isn’t it a lot of $ up for grabs to start a life for your little one? But they are lovely people and their home will no doubt be filled with lots of love and lovely home cooked meals. Congrats to them!

17 Robl { 04.05.13 at 3:48 am }

Maybe they dub ‘babe’ over the ‘c–t’?

18 Georgie { 04.05.13 at 8:48 am }

drb123 – that’s what we need, an MKR ‘bootleg’ series.

Robl – lol, ‘babes’ is the new ‘bleep’.

19 Ruby { 04.05.13 at 10:20 am }

Techhater & Daisy – another way of preserving ginger is by putting in a jar and covering in either dry sherry or gin, though probably Shaoxing rice wine would be better.

20 Culinary Boner { 04.05.13 at 10:43 am }

lol Robl…Perhaps A&S should lay off listening to them old Derek & Clive tapes? – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTifRi3qDkU

21 Anna { 04.05.13 at 12:55 pm }

According to a trash mag the ‘Spice Girls’ are coming back to MKR. Their pic is published next to Pop & kid from Tassie

22 Culinary Boner { 04.05.13 at 1:15 pm }

Woo hoo… hope you are right Anna.

23 Littlepetal { 04.05.13 at 1:18 pm }

Please stop bringing back eliminated contestants. If they only bring back J&B, then it is so obvious it is for the rating and nothing else.

I can’t see the next series of MKR being a hit.

24 Daisy { 04.05.13 at 1:24 pm }

Aside from the mockery of calling it a competition, and a cooking competition, no less, if they’re going to bring back contestants, I don’t mind them bringing back J&B. I never minded them. They wouldn’t stand a chance in a bitch war against So phi a. (That’s my attempt at tal king like So ph ia).

25 brain dead dave { 04.05.13 at 1:29 pm }

Sorry to kill the buzz but I saw that article in No Idea or was it TV Weak with the Spice Girls pictured albeit without my glasses but literally as far as I can see it’s just a photo and “what if’ poser about Jessie and Biswa before it descends into a tawdry discussion of the returnees we already know about here..

26 Reality Raver { 04.05.13 at 1:44 pm }

Having issues with comments today I am keeping a close eye on them and pulling them out of the folder they are going into. So bear with me.

27 Daisy { 04.05.13 at 2:16 pm }

Thanks RR. Must get off for a little while and get some PE to walk off Easter.
Feel like Big Ted at the moment.

28 Culinary Boner { 04.05.13 at 2:31 pm }

Better than feeling like Father Ted, Daisy.

29 brain dead dave { 04.05.13 at 2:51 pm }

Don’t you mean Big Kev? You know …Heavy Kevvy. 254 kilo Kev.

30 Culinary Boner { 04.05.13 at 2:55 pm }

Some classic dialogue from Father Ted:-

Father Dougal: God Ted, I’ve heard about those cults. Everyone dressing in black and saying our Lord’s going to come back and judge us all.
Father Ted: No… no Dougal, that’s us. That’s Catholicism you’re talking about there.

31 A.P { 04.05.13 at 3:04 pm }

I don’t mind if the Spice Girls come back either, I would love to see them up against A&S.

32 brain dead dave { 04.05.13 at 3:15 pm }

A producer will just have read that, A.P and started workshopping a MKR All Stars style- “We’re Not Here To Make Friends”

*Braces and Tatts
*Jessie and Biswa
*Dr Evil &KRudd
*Thomas & Karla
*Lisa and Stuffano
*etc

33 A.P { 04.05.13 at 3:23 pm }

Spice girls should cook Asian and A&S to cook Indian only in a cook off to see how well they do.

34 Culinary Boner { 04.05.13 at 3:23 pm }

That’s a great line-up bdd.
It’d be one hell of a c_nt-tastic televisual feast (presuming we all turn a blind eye to the actual cooking).
Perhaps Seven can fast track it to knock MasterChef over, again.

35 Littlepetal { 04.05.13 at 3:31 pm }

Yes, BDD. New show for C7 and should be called Havoc Kitchens. They have to cook what the other teams want you to cook.

It was funny watching MC USA yesterday. They were cooking Chinese and most dishes were horrible.

36 Georgie { 04.05.13 at 3:31 pm }

I’d like to see a competition between all the tired old hacks that make up the judges bench for all the these cooking shows. How would we go with all that ego crammed into a kitchen at the same time. I wouldn’t mind being one of the judges of the judges.

37 Littlepetal { 04.05.13 at 3:40 pm }

No way you can fit them all in one kitchen. Some need to be in TBL first before going into the cook off.

38 Daisy { 04.05.13 at 3:45 pm }

Now that’s an idea Georgie. A line-up of TV chefs attempting to prove themselves.

BDD If Deni Hines can boil an egg I’d like to see her in the kitchen with that lot. I’d like to see the ‘rabid dog’ set on A&S.

39 Daisy { 04.05.13 at 3:47 pm }

I guess you mean the TV chefs for TBL Little Petal.

40 brain dead dave { 04.05.13 at 3:50 pm }

Altijan Juric and Deni Hines go in as the “celebrity wild card” couple.

41 Anna { 04.05.13 at 4:19 pm }

Wasted few minutes of my day reading the article… It’s just a teaser. The only people coming back are the ones eliminated from MKR HQ

Would have been good to see fights between the 2 moronic teams

42 Culinary Boner { 04.05.13 at 4:28 pm }

Seven could also draft in some of the really inept and disorganised cooks and craptastic hosts from Come Dine with Me.
Also perhaps Hedge Hay (as BDD famously dubbed him) from that laugh-a-minute dating & cooking show that I can’t remember the name of of, but which Manu narrated.
BDD, I also remember you coining the classic summary phrase ‘Poon or Spoon’ but can’t remember if it applied to this show.

43 brain dead dave { 04.05.13 at 4:37 pm }

Dinner Date, Boner .English and Australian versions. Aus version was repeated (and still may be)a couple of weeks back. No, I didn’t watch it again but I’d watch Hedge Hay again on the off chance of catching an unprintable aside to his gorgeous host that I missed first time around.

44 layla { 04.05.13 at 4:51 pm }

I think that article with Jessie and Biswa on the cover was from TV Week. I haven’t read the article but no doubt they’ve just stuck them on the cover to get reader’s attention. False advertising clearly, but it ain’t the first time they’ve done it.

Speaking of false advertising I saw it mention another pregnancy – Dan and Steph? Or something completing blown out of proportion I’m guessing?

45 Littlepetal { 04.05.13 at 4:55 pm }

Dan and Steph have been trying to conceive for the past few years. If they did get pregnant, they will be very happy.

46 A.P { 04.05.13 at 5:10 pm }

I hope its Dan and Steph, they deserve it, they want a baby so badly.

47 Techhater { 04.05.13 at 7:07 pm }

Ruby thnx for the tip will definitely try it with the shaoxing wine