The Voice Australia 2013 – The First Audition Episode

What is the back stage catering as there is a lot of hyperbole by the judges “Last year I ended up having a life changing experience, and I am sure I will end up having one again this year,” said Seal, and Ricky Martin said “I wish I had had a platform as powerful and beautiful as The Voice” said Ricky Martin.

The Voice season two kicked off with a strong first episode. New Ricky Martin slipped into Keith’s swivelling chair without a hitch and the talent was strong. The coaches were show cased a lot in the first episode which indicates they are just as big a drawcards as the talent and in fact when were given just as much air time as the contestants.

The four of them did a great group number of Rhianna’s Diamond’s In The Sky there is no doubt that they can sing, but special mention must go to the Hollywood tape which must have been working overtime to stop a nipple slip. By the way she looked great.

First up was  Kaity Dunstan is a gigging school girlfriend, but her voice was an interesting surprised. It was a rocky/folksy rendition of “Brand New Key”.

All four judges turned around. Delta tried to lure her into her team by saying “I see an artist not the singer”, whilst Joel’s strategy was to layer on compliments  and told her she was a “She could be a super Dooper star”.

She ended up going picking Ricky Martin.

Nathan Allgood  was a 20 year old singer sang House Is Not A Home.  Seal was in raptures before he had sung the first note. He was a crooner.  Delta’s strategy this year appears to be to go out early and hard to get singers and she was rewarded by getting picked by him.

Third up was Simon Meli a gigging muso flying in from Sweden who auditioned after a 30 hour flight. Interesting he was wearing the same shirt from flight to audition. Of course we should not bust the smoke and mirrors of reality TV, but not sure it was filmed that day…

Simon must be on the show to raise the profile of his band. He sang Ramble On and it was good. He seems like a grounded version of Altiyan Childs. All four turned around and he picked Ricky. Joel Madden was not happy that he was not getting picked, he is turning into the Delta Goodrem of Season Two.

Celia Pavey who is a music student sang Scarborough Fair. She is very likeable. Delta said “that was the best performance we have seen” even though she forgot the words after all four coaches turned around. She picked to go on Team Delta.

For awhile it looked like there would be no emotive back stories but we had Evan Moring who lost hearing in left ear due to a brain tumour. He said his singing was a hit and miss. His rendition of  How Deep Is Your Love was average and it was not surprising no one turned around.

Joel said it did not get there for him.  Even though The Voice is meant to be about “the voice” it still is about the back story why else would they have been advertising the contestants with the stutter in The Logies ad breaks?

Also there is very few non-attractive people in the auditions.

Alex Gibson was one of these as he was slightly overweight and does not have the popstar look. However the Sydney busker did a great rendition of  Blackbird.  Seal and Joel both turned around. Seal told him he would teach him how to connect. Even though Seal speaks a lot of bollocks I think he is correct in saying that and hit must have hit a chord with Alex as he chose him.

Earlier they had ticked the disability box, and Lara Parker-Kent was ticking the father is a former rock star box ala Mahalia Barnes. Lara’s father was Fess Parker from The Radiators. She sang Living On A Prayer  and surprisingly no one turned around. Ricky and Delta gushed about how good and she was happy with that and skipped off stage.

The last singer of the night was mother of three Lyric McFarland who is also the lead singer in Brown Sugar a R&B band. Her mother died a year ago. All four turned around and she went for Joel. It is a good one for him but thought she might have gone for Seal.

The winner of this series is probably is not in this bunch tonight, however who did you like?

The Voice on NINE, Monday to Wednesday at 7pm.

1 Veronicali { 04.08.13 at 10:26 am }

I only saw about half of it, Celia is a sweetie. The others were only average. I’m not feeling it so far.

I keep reading “gigging” as “giggling”. heh.

2 Samiiluvbugg { 04.08.13 at 11:51 am }

Love ur comment RR on this:- ‘Host Darren McMullen appears to be channelling either an inner city hipster or Bear Grylls as he was looking rugged, but don’t expect the beard to be there all series as he looked like he had shaved for the Logies.
My Husband n i watched it last night n he said the samething lol, TV he looked all untied n the logies BAM what a make ova haha….But i dont mind having a guy look like that lol my Husband has that kinda look ;p
But i luv Ricky on the show but like i said on the OLDER post about te VOICE, isnt the show meant to b Australian? If so where are the Aussie judges? =s

3 brain dead dave { 04.08.13 at 11:58 am }

I saw the first act, Katy Dunstan. Just appalling . The judges are just emotionally abusing these people by gushing at them that they could be big stars anywhere. Haven’t they had enough of that bs already from their deluded families and friends?

4 littlepetal { 04.08.13 at 4:42 pm }

I heard Kaity Dunstan on radio today and I didn’t like it. I thought it was bad.

5 Daisy { 04.08.13 at 5:36 pm }

Yes Luvbug, and Aussie show needs at least mostly Aussie judges. I agree!

6 Samiiluvbugg { 04.08.13 at 5:42 pm }

Daisy 5:- Oh my *big smiles* gotta luv ya for ur comment hehe *hugs* YAY *shouts!* someone here agrees with me hehe *high five* =D

7 Daisy { 04.08.13 at 6:04 pm }

Yes I’ve been banging on about it before a few times, Samii.

8 Samiiluvbugg { 04.08.13 at 7:44 pm }

Yay, im excitied :)

9 Blake { 04.08.13 at 8:04 pm }

I thought Katy Dunston was horrific! Like, what the actual f**k was that! I couldn’t believe it when the judges lost their s**t over her.
It reminded me if a joke audition on X Factor where the person gets laughed off the stage…

10 Blake { 04.08.13 at 8:16 pm }

Overall, I thought it was a disappointing first episode. Katy Dunston was the only train wreck, the others could sing mostly in tune but nobody showed any exceptional talent.
It’s gonna get annoying watching these judges go nuts over people who can simply sing in tune.

11 VioletsRBlue { 04.08.13 at 10:48 pm }

After the first two episodes I think that it’s much more about ‘the story’ than any exceptional or original voice! The ‘biggest story’ today the guy with the stutter was ‘milked’ through the whole episode. He did have a good voice but very much doubt that he has star quality (a sweet guy for sure but not a star). Noone today really stood out from voice perspective, a number of not bad singers but noone ‘special’.

12 Littlepetal { 04.08.13 at 10:51 pm }

Sound like Voice is like all other reality show-just emphasize on the drama

13 brain dead dave { 04.08.13 at 11:05 pm }

There’s an African proverb.

“If you can talk , you can sing~ if you can walk ,you can dance”

The contestants on this show are not unique snowflakes. No need for the judge histrionics. Even an average jazz singer is received like Mozart on this appalling show.

Well okay with the stuttering dude, but we’ve had that on American Idol this year and Big Brother last year. Yawn. I don’t need Ch 9 to tell me that life isn’t fair. Life isn’t a bowl of cherries…but it’s not a bowl of $hit, either.

14 Daisy { 04.08.13 at 11:07 pm }

Those Africans have never heard me sing, and I can talk ALOT.

15 Daisy { 04.08.13 at 11:10 pm }

I thought it was good how Ricky said he’s introduce that guy to his agent. ANd even though he hit a couple of wobbly notes I liked the guy that did the Gautier song.

16 Daisy { 04.09.13 at 8:48 am }

I didn’t mind the bits I saw. But the only way I can watch is to ffd most oft he judges’ posturing and ‘out cooling’ everybody.

I didn’t see Ricky Martin posturing himeself to ‘out-cool’ anybody.

There were a few voices I liked.