My Kitchen Rules – Cooking In The Margaret River

Well it was all about the food last night on My Kitchen Rules, with Sophia and Ashlee “bingeing” at the Margaret River Food and Wine Festival and the episode did not have the ongoing running commentary because of that.

The good thing was again the cooking looked great and even Pete Evans said “Western Australia has brought out the best of the teams”. He must be relieved considering all the not so great food he has had to eat this season.

The teams had to cook for 100 farmers and also pick produce from the farm, however they did not have to kill their own protein which if the Broome fishing challenge was anything to go by would have seen a lot of vegetarian dishes.

Luke and Scott were in raptures as they were able to mention fresh produce multiple times to camera just in case we did not realise they were health nuts. But what was funny that they plated up Schnitzel with only a couple of vegetables on it. They did not even mention if they had fried it in cold-pressed oil. However the judges loved it.

Kerrie and Craig cooked Pork with Beetroot and Apple Relish with a side of dirt. With the long filming commitments it is wonder Craig who looks like a bit of a high flyer could get that time off work. Kerrie decided she did not think the sauce was good enough so did not put it on the dish, which was a bit damn if you do damn if you don’t situation.

Jake and Elle made Beef With Balsamic Sauce, they had a bit of a meltdown in the kitchen with each other. In fact it was Elle firing up at Jake for burning the sauce. Pete said the stress in the kitchen effected their dish and then went on to praise it.

Chris and Sam are peaking at the right time of the competition made Lamb with Vegetable Stack. The judges declared it dish of the day pretty good considering it looked oily. Still don’t think they have the skills to win, but as many commenters have said it is a year for an all boy team to win.

Stef and Dan make Lamb and Zucchini Gratin. They are really the quiet achievers of the competition and again put out another sterling dish that looked and tasted good.

For Luke and Scott who are into fresh produce there was not a lot of veges on there. Their schnitzel was served with a little asparagus and zucchinni, Manu loved it and Pete thought it was a show stopper.

Even though Manu questioned Jake and Elle’s balsamic sauce it was Kerrie and David put into the elimination episode to duke it out with Joanna and Jenna tonight. I think they might beat the South Australian girls as Jenna looks like she is over it.

1 Jorgmungandr { 04.10.13 at 10:38 pm }

Interesting call Stacey, I think Luke & Scott could also be good dark horse bets. After all the health food element would make it seem all the more heroic to win making healthy food.

2 brain dead dave { 04.10.13 at 10:39 pm }

Yes, layla , must confess I was laughing with my friend on the phone about Luke’s fondness for nuts …and having meat in his mouth.

3 Georgie { 04.10.13 at 10:43 pm }

Stacey – I agree it may be the year for the boys. The Bondii have done as little as possible to get through and don’t major in taking risks or using different techniques. Smiley Sam and Chris have got it all over them there, but you can’t trust M&P to do the right thing with the scoring.

I keep thinking of the 10’s they dished out in the instant restaurant rounds. It makes the scoring in these challenges look like a complete joke.

4 brain dead dave { 04.10.13 at 10:49 pm }

For those in Sydney, my friend told me she picked up a Ma$terchef Season 2 cookbook for 2 or3 dollars. At ze K Mart.

5 Marie { 04.10.13 at 10:59 pm }

Ooh there was a twist! I think Jenna and Joanna deserve to come back more than the other teams, we shall see. So do the judges pick who comes back or is it Colin who decides? Or the restaurant customers? I liked Jenna’s braid in the preview: reminded me of the way people braid their horses tails for dressage.

6 Littlepetal { 04.10.13 at 11:02 pm }

I saw somewhere that MKR cookbook vol 3 is out. Who on earth will buy this cookbook. Very soon it will also be selling at $3

7 brain dead dave { 04.10.13 at 11:06 pm }

I think it’ll be Manu and Pete doing the scoring for Kom~Back kitchen, as per last time. Which means it’ll be a rort. I only wish it was Colin doing the scoring , as he hasn’t been got at.

Lo and behold, Pete is vacillating over giving one of the dishes a “10” in the promo.

8 Jorgmungandr { 04.10.13 at 11:07 pm }

Nice Call Littlepetal, not to mention you can get recipes are available online during the season…. why bother buying it at all, just print out the ones you like from the MKR website.

9 Kirsten { 04.10.13 at 11:08 pm }

The ones that taste with their fingers and continue preparing are disgusting . The same with tasting with a spoon and putting it back into the dish. This is like spitting into the dish being prepared.
I don’t believe I am racist but I only like Asians You IDIOT

10 Daisy { 04.10.13 at 11:08 pm }

Was that meant to be a blind tasting for Pete and Manu too? I heard one of them saying something that (can’t remeber what it was now but it) clearly indicated that they knew who cooked what they were eating. They mentioned something that the girls were doing during cooking that they could only have known by seeing them cook.

I think, and hope, that we will see J&J back from Komback.

And, yes after all the rubbish that he has drooled over and given 9 to, suddenly Manu gives a 5. I think it was to give J&J the Kombak scenario because they are more interesting to watch than K&C.

Kerrie and Craig’s script is limited to Kerrie bosses Craig, whereas J&J’s plot is Jenna wilts and Joanna musters all her strength to save the day.

11 Daisy { 04.10.13 at 11:14 pm }

Two funniest lines of the night might have been:
1. Joanna saying, “Puree something” and
2. It” tastes like a dumpster/cat” implying a knowledge of those cuisines.

12 Daisy { 04.10.13 at 11:17 pm }

BDD Me too. Colin is the only one whose scoring I believe.

13 Jorgmungandr { 04.10.13 at 11:21 pm }

I’m still interested to see if Dan & Steph, will have any say on the outcome of the competition, those two have served up some very nice dishes during their time…… would not write them of as potential dark horse heroes yet.

14 Littlepetal { 04.10.13 at 11:26 pm }

So the only teams that have not been in sudden death cook off are Dan and Steph and Luke and Scott.

15 layla { 04.10.13 at 11:31 pm }

Yeah Littlepetal there’s an ad on TV saying the cookbook will be available soon. I thought they weren’t gonna bring a cookbook out this time around. I bought the one from last series but there were some great recipes last series. This series, not so much.

I am still shocked to see Joanna and Cupcake go. My money was on them to win it originally. I now too think it’ll be an all male team winning or Jake and Elle.

Here’s an article with Joanna dissing Sophia. She thinks Sophia was jealous of her as she was happily married with two children. She notes that Ashlee is married but thinks Sophia is desperate to get a BF. Also, she states that she knew it would be Jenna breaking down that would cause them to loose and she was prepared for it. Joanna seems like such an amazing person and friend. I take back those comments I said in the past about her. She’s a very courageous, kindhearted woman and I wish her all the best for the future. By the sounds of her last comments, it looks like they don’t make it through Comeback Kitchen but who knows. It was good in a way to see Pete and Manu noted Cupcake’s self esteem issues she suffers from. I hope she learns to love herself from this experience. No one deserves to feel like they’re not good enough for anything.

16 Jaycee47 { 04.10.13 at 11:34 pm }

Daisy @ 161 – I thought the one Colin said cracked me up – J & J’s dessert looked like it came from Ken and Barbie’s dinner party.

17 brain dead dave { 04.10.13 at 11:38 pm }

Not to overstate it but a backstabbing, trash talking cow with braces that eats cats and from dumpsters is going to be on the shelf a while.

18 Littlepetal { 04.10.13 at 11:39 pm }

I think the final will be between a male team and a mixed team. Can’t see A&S in it.

19 Littlepetal { 04.10.13 at 11:42 pm }

I am looking forward to Komback kitchen and see how much those cheapscakes are willing to pay for their dinner

20 Marie { 04.10.13 at 11:46 pm }

I will buy the cookbook for sure. I want the recipe for that galub jamun with baked yoghurt that the spice girls made. It will be a great one to make when people I don’t like come to dinner. I suspect the ingredient list has both cat and dumspter in it coincidentally.

21 layla { 04.10.13 at 11:50 pm }

LOL Littlepetal it should be renamed Komback Soup Kitchen as thats how many of these customers see it as.

“Yes I had the lobster, soaked in the 1864 Paris Red Wine with caviar and truffle on the side, sprinkled with gold flakes. I’ll pay $8.50 for it please.”

22 brain dead dave { 04.10.13 at 11:52 pm }

There are people called Freegans or aka “dumpster divers”. Braces may have been one.

23 Daisy { 04.11.13 at 12:01 am }

Yes Jaycee, blind tasting? Now let me see who would have made sweets for the Barbie party?

24 Daisy { 04.11.13 at 12:05 am }

Layla@171 Chuckle. :) And chuckle again :)

BDD@172 Dumpsters divers? Chuckle-up. :)

25 Daisy { 04.11.13 at 12:08 am }

Layla I hope you OK after today. You’re pretty gutzy.
Kudos.

26 Moonstruck { 04.11.13 at 2:44 am }

Marie no need to buy cookbook. As has already been suggested j ust print the recipe from website.
BTW has any one downloaded the MKR app? Saw it advertised the MKR website.

27 Anna { 04.11.13 at 7:38 am }

Last night was a farce!!! Kerrie should have gone instantly during prep time… Licking spoon & tossing it back in the pot? Bleagh

Girls dishes recieved better comments BUT Kerrie won the round??
Kerrie wasn’t impressed with Colin’s comments, if looks could kill lol

Love Colin’s honesty….

Getting rid of Kerrie would have been easy at 4/14. My guess is that one of the female teams will be back to annoy Dumpster Queen

28 Morgan { 04.11.13 at 8:22 am }

@ Littlepetal (#164): Interesting, I have to say Dan and Steph have done well to stay out of sudden death, but Luke and Scott is a bit baffling. There’s been a few times where I thought they should’ve gone into sudden death. Pete and Manu are also favouring these guys along Ashlee and Sophia and it’s annoying.

Last year the only team that didn’t go into sudden death was Nic and Rocco. Princess Jen and Leigh were only in sudden death once, and that was only because they were unfairly put into it by the jury of eliminated contestants.

29 Anna { 04.11.13 at 11:55 am }

Manu gave the girls a lower score after praising their dishes was total BS

Seems like we can only trust Colin…

30 Marie { 04.11.13 at 12:57 pm }

Thanks for your concern Moonstruck, there is no risk of me buying the book. Sarcasm doesn’t translate well over the internet. :)