The Voice Australia – A Nice Break From The Sad Back Stories

Caterina Torees is going to be the Samantha Jade of The Voice Australia. She is an attractive pop singer who also had a worldwide record contract which fell over. All four judges were in a lather when they turned around her and saw the full pop package standing in front of them. Expect to see her get to the live shows. Ricky sealed the deal as they both spoke and connected in Spanish. The judges know they only need one good singer to win the competition and he may have it with her.

There was an ebb from the relentless flow of back stories last night as last week I got emotive story burnout and by the time Luke Kennedy revealed his battle with depression I started to stop caring.

However Viva Lale’s tale was truly tragic when she revealed she was related to six of the victims in a huge house fire in Queensland. Unfortunately for her none of the judges turned when she sang One Sweet Day, and to be fair they should not have, as she had a nice voice but nothing truly special.

I was thinking last week that to get in front of the judges on The Voice you had to have a compelling back story, be related to someone famous or have slept with someone who is famous. And lo and behold Atlanta Coogan had sang with the Black Sorrows and procreated with Joe Camilleri. Her voice just did not do the Dusty Springfield tune Son of A Preacher Man justice and it was no surprise she was not selected.

Nicholas Roy a music producer sang Falling Slowly and since he was the first person we saw to audition on the episode savvy viewers  knew all the four judges would turn around and they did. He ended up going with Seal, however as a producer himself it will be interesting to see how he take direction.

Katie Reeve a 26 year old from Sydney talked about her weight because it is not really all about  “The Voice”. She sang Janis Joplin Piece Of Your Heart, which was an interesting choice as Janis was so entenched with last year’s winner Karise Eden and it was acceptable but nothing truly original about it. However Ricky Martin buzzed in as did Delta in the dying chords of the song. She went with Ricky.  For those interested here is her official website and it will be interesting to see what she does in the competition with a good song choice she could be a dark horse.

Josh Kyle who has an album out sang Fragile has just returned from London.  Delta and Ricky turned around. His My Space page has his original songs on it and it has a bit of a jazz vibe about it. He selected Delta. Hopefully a personality will emerge as the show continues.

Karen “Miss Murphy” Andrews has a covers band and she sang  I’d Rather Go Blind. Miss Murphy is her other less shy persona however I did not see much charisma emerge from her alter ego, but she could sing and all four judges turned around. After all the judges promised her the Earth she picked Ricky. She might need to come out of her shell a bit to get a fan base but if she does there could be no stopping her.

Marisa Quigley a 39 year old who gigs in hotels around Australia was looking to get a lift from her appearance on the show.  She sang We’re All Going To Die Someday which was a country song none of the judges ever looked like they were going to hit that button.

Nick Stenmark left his job in advertising in Sydney to immerse himself in music. He is in a band called Feeding Edgar. His music also had a country twang to it. Have to be honest I thought his voice was pretty ordinary but maybe the rock star vibe might come through to get him votes. Lucky for him Joel Madden turned around as the other judges did not look very enthusiastic in fact they had nothing to say to him at all.

The judges have to pick fourteen singers and the places are starting to fill up all four have some strong singers on it and that is all you need either a strong voice or someone who is connecting with the fans at home.

The Voice Australia – On NINE Monday and Tuesday at 7.00pm.

1 joan { 04.15.13 at 10:41 am }

I see Michael Paynter is on the show tonight, he must of just left his Sony contract, how convenient.

2 Samiiluvbugg { 04.15.13 at 11:15 am }

Im really shocked with, how many ppl get through n dont get through!
Ect:- The guy that started the show last night, Like hmm shouldnt of got through and the guy that played the piano, SHOULD of go through..
Im sick of seening Delta on this show, She might b an Aussie and i like having Aussie’s on the shows for judges, But shes just so fake and she really annoys me….Im embarrassed for her, when i sit n watch the show.

3 Reply { 04.15.13 at 12:07 pm }

I think the connection with RM and CT is more than they both speak spanish.

I think that Ricky was sitting there listening to the $$note, as was evry other record exec/ company in Aus who may have been watching last night.

Caterina is completely marketable- sexy and has talent. Appeals to a global audience- and could be the one that opens the door to the Latin american market. Inxs and Crowded House were our last succesful exports there, adn the occasional Kylie hit. But this girl has that Shakira/ Ricky Martin x factor appeal to the latin audience which is BIG bucks, bc it includes miami. Also global and easy to market to Asia and Europe. AND her angle/ point of difference that will make her stand out even more in the US/ South America is that she’s Latin/ AUSTRALIAN. And Ricky has the contacts/ abilities to mentor her and make that happen over 1 hit wonder Seal. Why do you think Delta backed out, and suggested Ricky would be the best fit….Caterina has just cracked that door open for other australian artists into the largest market and backdoor entry into the US market. Great news for Australian music. RM’s trip to oz was all the worth it for picking up this Caterina. Am sure they’re signing the contracts now regardless of what happens with The Voice.

4 kess { 04.15.13 at 3:57 pm }

There is also a pretty big South American population in Oz to flog to, plenty in Melbourne anyway.

When you think about it, Ricky is a pretty smart choice for anyone – I reckon he can open all kinds of showbiz doors none of the other combined can even bang on. Maybe Joel through his dad-in-law.
would have a few.

5 Daisy { 04.15.13 at 6:09 pm }

My absolute pick of the night was the incredible Miss Murphy. It’s the first time I have ever heard a singer in a comp whose CD I would buy.

She sang naturally, had an amazing voice and I could feel the pain.

6 I'manurbangirl2 { 04.15.13 at 8:01 pm }

Michael Paynter – So deserves this chance and with talent like his (tonight was just a drop in the ocean of his capabilities), I’m certainly hoping and praying that he makes the final … As far as his record deal, it’s been much longer then 3 years that Sony signed him and for anyone who has followed his career, as I have, they would know, the wait and effort Paynter has put in, has been far too long … Waiting for his cd has been as painful for him as it has been for his fan base … Hang in there, hold on tight and, TAKE IT TO THE TOP MICHAEL PAYNTER … :-)

7 Daisy { 04.15.13 at 9:09 pm }

Samiiluv, sadly we may have to give up our hope of having Aussie judges. The way the talent show producers don’t value Aussie artists makes me wonder why any of them would want to stay here for their carreers. It’s basically saying we’ll use you for the comp but if you make it we wouldn’t hire you.

8 Rob { 04.16.13 at 7:26 am }

Anyone else bored of this series yet? Seems more if the same and very repetitive.

9 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 8:33 am }

Rob I have to ff about 80% of it. I’ll only watch a few good singers.

10 Bully boy { 04.25.13 at 10:28 am }

Are you the writer a shrunken school bully? It seems you have come up
Half a step from writing insults on school toilet walls about people only
To be too cowardly to give your name so they can’t find you out!
Why aren’t you writing for a decent news paper or a real journalist ?
Could it be no one wants to employ you because of your nasty and
Disloyal nature ? Hmm. What a frightened little person you must be.

11 Reality Raver { 04.25.13 at 11:09 am }

Bully Boy – Click on the About button…..

12 Bully boy { 04.25.13 at 12:16 pm }

Just because the trash industry needs a yardstick
Doesn’t make you anything but a poisonous and
Empty soul.

13 brain dead dave { 04.25.13 at 12:46 pm }

Sounds like you never went to school, Bullshit Boy. Lol.

14 Anonymous { 04.25.13 at 12:54 pm }

If my only art form was slandering innocents
I’d expect a bashing every now and again. Lol

15 Bully boy { 04.25.13 at 12:55 pm }

If my only art form was slandering innocents
I’d expect a bashing every now and again. Lol

16 Georgie { 04.25.13 at 1:06 pm }

“No one is innocent.”

The Bible & The Sex Pistols

17 Anonymous { 04.25.13 at 11:42 pm }

I hope you read that to your baby when
It’s being publicly humiliated Georgie

18 Georgie { 04.26.13 at 12:00 am }

Oh wow, do they let babies go on The Voice too? I didn’t know that.

19 changethechannel { 05.06.13 at 12:17 am }

I detest this show. What started out so promising has shown itself to be farcical. Preselected battle winners, the best contestants booted out early with those remaining given songs that don’t support their strengths. The winner decided. For now it is the Harrison Show. Imogen Bailey made Harrison look good. They couldn’t allow another Tim Moxey to out stage him. This show is so rigged. The judges lost my respect long ago. How the country could not see that all is scripted is beyond me. Then they have the audacity to make the public spend a dollar on a vote. This was never about the singing. It was simply to make the fat cats richer who dished out this pitiful mockery and wrapped it up as wholesome family entertainment. SO ANGRY!!!!!