My Kitchen Rules – The Food Truck Challenge

My Kitchen Rules morphed into the Great Food Truck Race when the teams had to cook out of a food truck the new big trend in Sydney. The prize for the challenge’s two winners was to select the two teams they cook off against to get into  finals week.

Each truck was a different cuisine and who got what was decided by random draw. Ashlee and Sophia managed to get Asian but they were not as thrilled as you would expect as they had been hoping for American. The downside for them was they had the smallest truck, whereas Bondi Boy’s  Mexican van was five star with all the bells and whistles. However they were miffed they missed out on both the vegetarian and organic trucks.

They had one hour to prep and one hour to serve customers.

Kerrie and Craig got the vegetarian truck and decided tomake a Vege Burger lucky there were buns in the truck! Not sure any viewer would still believe the limited ingredients that were found in the fridge in the trucks and cupboard was random.

Interestingly they looked like white hamburger buns not something that is particularly healthy nor something you expect to see from a vego truck.  Ashlee thought their menu was pedestrian, however there was a huge queue, though everytime there was a shot of their line it was the same set of school girls in it.

Jake and Elle who had to cook organic made a strange pizza with beef, caramelised onion, beetroot, and cheese again not a real healthy option. Jake was in charge of the steak and Elle said to him it was too rare, hell it was raw. They made about 20 pizzas it was unclear whether they sold them all.

Ashlee and Sophia cooking Honey Ginger Steak with Eggplant they were going for a Japanese flavour to show they were diverse cooks. The customers thought for $10 the serving size was small. Welcome to the world of food trucks once you have been ripped off there go to a farmers or organic market to be further fleeced.

Dan and Steph got Modern Australian and they made Panko Crumbed Flathead with a jacket potato and a corn salad. It looked nice but was not that original.

Sam and Chris made Pappardelle with a Chorizo and Herb sauce, the judges liked the pasta but did not like the sauce.

Luke and Scott were going to make Chicken Tortillas with Pomegranate and Lime Salad, however their tortillas turned into to mini tacos and in the end they just left it off and it became a salad. Not sure what this trend is to have to make your own tortillas on cooking shows as seen on MKR and Masterchef, as Kerrie and Craig did not make their own hamburger buns. The boys truck was very swish with rotisserie oven.

Luke and Scott and  Ashlee and Sophia were the winners which elicited  “We are up on the stage where we belong”  from Sophia. However the team that made the most money out of the two got to pick who to cook against first. It would have been interesting to know the truck who had made the most money overall.

Luke and Scott selected Kerrie and Craig and Jake and Elle and the girls picked Chris and Sam first and then were left with Dan and Steph. Ashlee and Sophia are playing mind games in tonight’s episode saying the kitchen would have to burn down for them to lose.

Also there will be five or more teams in the finals next week as there are four from the remaining group but also at least one from Comeback Kitchen it will be interesting to see how they structure the week.

My Kitchen Rules on SEVEN at 7.30pm Monday to Wednesday at 7.30pm.

1 A.P { 04.17.13 at 1:08 am }

Daisy, wouldn’t A&S have made those buns a thousand times before, being the Asian food experts that they are?

2 Kirsten { 04.17.13 at 4:24 am }

The Asian is a bitch with a foul mouth, Barney Boy. Her mouth is also repulsive to look at or havn’t you noticed. I have children watching at that time and they are ask what’s wrong with her Mum. You are very precious Barney Boy. Go hide under your rock or come into the real world

3 Littlepetal { 04.17.13 at 8:21 am }

Its stated in the TV guide only one team will return to the main comp on Mon. The five teams must create an Amuse Bouche – an elaborate bite- sized creation showcasing all the ability and craftsmanship of their team. Then, the bottom two teams will battle it out in a final cook-off for the last place in the final four.

I thought at this stage of the comp they should be doing more than Amuse Bouche

4 Barney { 04.17.13 at 8:29 am }

“You think this is hatred , Barney? Boy, have you led a sheltered life.”

Actually, I haven’t. Hatred is hatred, and the fact that these misguided young women are not genocidal dictators, merely try-hard hipsters seems to make no difference to the level of contempt expressed. It’s inhumane, in my opinion.

But, diddums, sorry if I hurt your ickle feelings by saying what I perceive.

Oh, and Kirsten? You’re a mother??!!!! That’s even worse.

5 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 9:00 am }

Barney #203

“… the fact that these misguided young women are not genocidal dictators, merely try-hard hipsters seems to make no difference to the level of contempt expressed.”

I don’t know about other forums, but it seems to me that you need to cut the posters here the some slack.

They aren’t really full of hate for these try-hard hipsters, they’re merely disappointed viewers who are venting on the MKR producers. The fact that those producers have chosen to put a shield up in front of themselves with a picture of the try-hard hipsters on it, seems to make no difference?

And –

“But, diddums, sorry if I hurt your ickle feelings by saying what I perceive.”

That sounds a little contemptuous – but that’s just my perception.

6 Christina { 04.17.13 at 9:02 am }

I tgought seeing these teo goes was more appropriate for “Ding Ding The Witch Is Dead” 😉

But then of course they aren’t a tey have a 2nd chance. However tr good news is both M&M and A&M do have experience in ComeBack Kitchen, and what Colin is looking for, so hopefully that works in their favour! I just hope Colin isn’t biased as last night he obviously wanted S&S to win.

7 brain dead dave { 04.17.13 at 9:04 am }

#whinge 203

Then don’t let your touching concern for humanity be swayed by a few blogs on a contrived television show. Time for your nappy change, Barney.

8 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 9:14 am }

AP@200 So they like to tell us.

Steamed buns: Water in the wok. Elementry Watson!

Barney, speaking for myself and no-one else; I think you are right. The world would be a better place if everyone was kind, loving and thoughtful. But keeping in mind that it’s TV and not so real, I do dislike Sophia. It’s the response that is illicited in me by her nastiness.

I seriously doubt there is a poster here that would do anything more than vent their frustrations on this blog.

But I get that you want everyone to be kind and good.

9 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 9:18 am }

It’s important not to spew vitriol when accusing people of hatred.
It just makes for a better argument.

10 layla { 04.17.13 at 9:31 am }

Barney@203 Misguided? Oh they are well aware of their actions. Don’t give them too much credit.

They were on Sunrise this morning. I didn’t watch as I had to leave for work but apparently one of them says something like “we really only judged the food” in regards to their negativity of everything. Good God… This past week alone you were rude to vegetarians and Sam and Chris. The week before that you were rude to Joanna and Jenna and the previous week before that you were rude to Andi and Josh. Such a delusional twat. As I said before, she lives in her own little world and honestly thinks its ok to go around and act the way she does to the contestants.

11 A.P { 04.17.13 at 9:35 am }

Yes, I saw that too Layla, they said that people don’t like them because they are honest, weell fair enough but there’s a difference between being honest and just being plain mean.
Barney, I don’t call them bitches, I just comment on their behaviour.

12 Golo i Wesolo { 04.17.13 at 9:43 am }

@ 210: Ironic how you continuously complain about A&S’s behaviour yet ignore the other contestants’ snark and bully-like comments about them.

Takes two to tango.

13 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 9:44 am }

Well AP I don’t think A&S would know why we don’t like them.

I love authenticity in people. But that’s if their good qualities are authentic, not their bad.

14 brain dead dave { 04.17.13 at 9:46 am }

Golo i We$olo. How about some good examples of that, troll?

Chujoglowy.

15 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 9:54 am }

Layla and AP, thanks for the heads up. I just changed stations in time.
A&S are up next (or so they say. Yeah right, after about 2 more ad breaks). I’ll be curious to see how they speak in this situation, and with the benefit of some hindsight.

16 Culinary Boner { 04.17.13 at 9:55 am }

I have mentioned, haven’t I, that Karen Martini gives me the horn.

17 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 10:00 am }

That’s a step up from Ajay CB – a huge step up!

18 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 10:01 am }

This is a cooking site so that would be a cream horn.

A&S over. Short and sweet.
Again with the honesty. We were honest. There you go.

19 Littlepetal { 04.17.13 at 10:18 am }

Sophia personally said she dislike Josh, she dislike Angela and Melina. She was also mean to Sam and Chris because they really think the boys can’t cook . I am actual surprise that they never mentioned anything about Kerrie and Craig. To me, Kerrie will not stand their nonsense and would clip them behind the ears (is that how you say?)

The judging was so bias again last night. For Colin to judge based on a memorable dish rather then what was on the plate, was a joke. It would have been memorable if I served up s–t and will I get a 7??? Will Colin allow have allow that dish to go out?

Also why do the girls prepared another sauce (damn Manu and his sauce) to go with the pork belly. What about the juicy and tasty broth where they used to braised the pork belly.

20 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 10:26 am }

Yes Littlepetal, a clip behind the ears, or ‘a thick ear’.

21 Culinary Boner { 04.17.13 at 10:31 am }

*Sigh*
Sorry Ajay.
I’m dumping you as my Mrs-Boner-agreed celebrity* shag out of undeniable health & safety concerns (brought on by the pics bdd posted the other week as well as the prohibitive cost of the mini-crane we’d need to hire and have me strapped to so we could ‘do the act’) plus the fact that you appear be a faux lesbian (another fantasy shattered, sigh). But the clincher – and what a clincher – is that you seem to have drunk champagne out of the same bottle as Bryan Wiseman, whose lips I definitely will not be allowing anywhere near my old fella, thank you very much. Sorry if all this seems unreasonable after so many years of professing my unbounded lust for you.

*Shiver, shimmy and sigh*
Oh Karen. Thou art simply UNCTUOUS**. No wonder you give me the horn, my queen of porcine delights.

* Yes.Yes. I know I’m being generous calling Ajay a celebrity. But us 50-plus blokes well past our prime have to be realistic when it comes to the kind of celebrity who’d be desperate or pissed enough to rub uglies with us.

** http://foodwishes.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/caramel-pork-belly-understanding.html

22 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 10:33 am }

Rofl-tic CB.

23 kirsten { 04.17.13 at 10:42 am }

24 brain dead dave { 04.17.13 at 10:43 am }

“Unctuous ” must be the most pretentious word ever used on MKR. I don’t know what it means.

Karen Martini…the new Jowl$y.

I posted those disturbing photos of Ajay just the other day, Boner. How keen you are to get her in your rear view mirror already. It was those thunder thighs that killed the romance, I’ll wager.

25 Culinary Boner { 04.17.13 at 11:01 am }

Was it only the other day, bdd?
It seems a life time away now.

26 Barney { 04.17.13 at 12:42 pm }

bullying power move #206

“Dave” It *is* true what they say about you. You really *are* such a nice guy.

But I understand that this blog is your own little private sandpit and you like to piss on anyone who dares to enter and offer a differing opinion.

Very grown up.

27 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 12:48 pm }

In all fairness Barney, it was you who started calling people out for their opinions, which happened to differ from yours?

28 Barney { 04.17.13 at 12:59 pm }

No, I was responding to the sentiments expressed. It is quite possible to have an opinion that is not loaded with or used as an excuse to expel hatred.

I suspect anyone who posts or reads here regularly has become desensitised. So I should leave.

Don’t let the door hit you on the bum, Barney! I’ll say it for you.

29 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 1:07 pm }

I’m confused Barney? You said, “…you like to piss on anyone who dares to enter and offer a differing opinion.”

Now you’re saying you weren’t expressing an opinon, “No, I was responding to the sentiments expressed.”

30 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 1:26 pm }

Barney, what I notice and like about this blog is that the ‘regulars’ only have a go at people who attack first.
I think you’d find if you allow people to express their opinions and don’t attack them for it you’d be fine.
What I also noticed is that you came in swinging because we didn’t like A&S, and that’s fine by me if that’s what you want to say, but you have to expect that people will probably swing back.

I suggest (and I do mean this with goodwill) if it bothers you, go make the world a better place where you are appreciated.

31 Barney { 04.17.13 at 1:26 pm }

Gerogie. Here is my post that started this ball rolling, that was an inexcusable observation (or too close to home for some):

#167

So much hatred here. It makes me depressed about the human race. Far uglier things are being posted than ever came out of Sophia’s mouth.

“What is wrong with the Asians bitches mouth. It is disgusting to watch. I find it offensive and will let channel 7 know.”

Really?? What is wrong with you?

***
The quote is from the lovely Kirsten, who followed up, in her inimitable style, with such intelligence and charm:

“yes,Barney Boy I am a mother and don’t think these two Asian foul mouths should be on in premium time slot. They are wankers just like you. Your not Einstein are you. Not that bright for your age . Lets be nice to the everyone. Tell the Asian foul mouths that.”

Nice! I notice the BDD spellchecker doesn’t come out in such instances. I am sure I have left a trail of typos behind me, now, but I really do have to go now. Hope that cleared your concerns up.

32 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 1:31 pm }

Yeah I read it all before Barney, which is why I replied to you in the first place. Also, I think Daisy just summed the situation up nicely in #230.

33 Daisy { 04.17.13 at 1:41 pm }

Barney, this blog is the only place I get to be ‘terrible’ and it’s my guilty pleasure. I love it. I love the humour, the ‘friends’, the interesting and clever comments. If comments are nasty or might bring me down, I pass them by. It’s not difficult.

If the site was depressing for me, as it does you, I really would do something else. It’s a beautiful day. If you do not like it here, do something that makes you happy

34 brain dead dave { 04.17.13 at 2:31 pm }

Well, it’s obviously you full of hate , “Barney” among other things.

And that was obvious from your very first post under that name.

35 Bolders { 04.17.13 at 3:31 pm }

What photos of AJ dudes?

36 brain dead dave { 04.17.13 at 5:56 pm }

The photos posted by you yourself on 13/2 , Bolders. Here they are again.

They’re in the Ajay section on the Blog Roll for easy viewing.