The Voice Australia – Enough Of The Nepotism

Totally over having to watch lame arse auditions of people related to famous people, or are semi famous or slept with someone famous when they are just not THAT good.

After last week having to listen to Darren Percival’s brother, tonight it was music promoter Michael Edgeley’s son Jake auditioning. His father can get a demo tape on any record company CEO’s desk, maybe the reason he has not been signed is that he is not good enough, and he wasn’t. But why let an opportunity of having famous actress sister Gigi Edgeley accompany him. The most interesting thing about the audition was whether his other sisters breasts would stay contained within her top! Ricky looked a bit sad to see the good looking lad go but his voice was ordinary.

Barry Crocker’s great grandson Wade Smith also auditioned. He sang Fast Car and had an interesting voice but his nerves got him. Would be interested to see what he could do in a few years time. At least the judges did not ask about his famous relative as they would have no idea who he was. By the way how old is Barry?

Also there was “semi-famous” in the US, fifty one year old Steve Wade who was the lead singer of The Little River Band from 1996. He wants to be better known in Australia and he said The Voice was his last chance to make it happen. He sang Boys of Summer and sounded like any old rocker singing in a pub on a Saturday night. Not surprising no one turned.

Michael Paynter is a professional muso and he has released singles and played with The Veronicas and also Ice house. His contract with his record company has ended.  He sang Somewhere We Only Know. When Delta turned around she recognised him and then banged Joel and Ricky’s buttons to turn their chairs around. She then gushed about how this guy could win the competition or at least make the finals. He went with Joel but I hope he does not become a protected species on the show like Glen Cunningham was last year.

Mitchell Steele has also had some music success. We heard about his horse wrangling but not his stint  on Australian Idol in 2008 where he made the top 24. He has a very nice voice and much better than his last performance on Idol (see below). Seal and Delta turned and he went with Delta. Though Delta might get more than she bargained for with his best friend saying to camera “You better do your job Delta”.

Rebekah Davis kicked off the episode and for once no chairs turned around. She did  a very quirky and not very good rendition of a Delta song Not Me Not I. Delta was very sweet to her and sang a little bit with her as they sat on her chair together.

Tim Moxey a pastor and singing teacher from The Shire had a nice voice. He thought because he was not that good looking a blind audition might help him more and it did. He sang I Want To Know What Love Is and he got on Team Seal.

Sophie Phillips  was in an Abba tribute show but she moved back home to Emerald after she became a single mum. She sang Beautiful Disaster. She had a really nice voice and three judges turned after Delta played the Aussie card she picked her.

Imogen Brough sang Never Let Me Go and all four hit the buttons at the same time. She had a great voice and will be there at the end. Ricky asked her “Where do you see yourself in ten years time?” asked Ricky. Unfortunately she did not say “Married to a Russian Billionaire” she gave the usual response of singing to a worldwide audience. She went with Ricky.

Do you think if you are related to a famous person you have a better chance of getting to the audition rounds?

1 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 9:46 am }

I think the fame card might get them in but not through, obviously.

Barry Crocker is amazing to be a great granddad to a young man.

NO WAY should Delta have forced the hands of Joel and Ricky by pressing their buzzer!!!!

Imogen was great, of course.

I hope Ricky, who started so well doesn’t catch the ‘People pay to smell my farts” attitude and manner that the other judges have.

2 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 9:49 am }

It’s frustrating the way the Voice plays out in the battles because good are pitted against good, and weaker against weaker, which results in some weaker singers outlasting some good ones.

3 Mia { 04.16.13 at 9:56 am }

According to Wiki, Michael Paynter has also been a support act for Seal in the past.

4 A.P { 04.16.13 at 10:27 am }

Sorry, I don’t watch this show but I’ve definitely heard of Barry Crocker so wouldn’t the judges have been informed who he was, and Delta would have heard of him surely?

5 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 10:32 am }

No AP. The boy had a different surname and didn’t mention his great granddad. Barry was in the backroom. I think if the judges knew, they would have made a fuss like they usually do when they know someone. They actually seemed really nice and if they wanted to show favouritism they could have let him through based on his voice because it was easy listening but he was nervous.

6 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 10:33 am }

@5 By nice I meant the Crockers, not the judges.

7 A.P { 04.16.13 at 10:45 am }

Oh, okay Daisy, that explains it and shows you what a gentleman Barry is not to push himself forward. How does he look now?
It would have been good to see him come out and sing, I bet he would have got through!

8 Daze { 04.16.13 at 11:00 am }

Oh what a Crock
I think anyone ‘connected’ has connections already (or in the past) I’d rather see unknown raw talent who might not know anyone in the industry vie for a place. I wonder if many are hoping for the Susan Boyle ‘moment of fame’ of old which was a world wide sensation.
I agree RR, I know as a viewer, I’m not interested in seeing old rockers at 45 trying to make it, if they haven’t made it by 45 ish …… then go figure.

Am enjoying The Voice again and have completely stopped watching MKR after Andi left – the show is a total joke & embarrassment

The ratings for MKR have dropped by 50% 2.1m TV v 1.4m MKR –

9 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 11:38 am }

I don’t think anyone should be favoured or penalized for their family or other connections. They all deserve to be judged on their own ability.
AP Barry looked amazing for the great granddad of an adult.

10 Culinary Boner { 04.16.13 at 11:49 am }

Had Bazza’s great grandson reprised some of the old, old, old man’s best and most iconic work, this may have been worth watching –

‘Oh, me one-eyed trouser snake
Oh, me one-eyed trouser snake
God ‘elp me if I ever lose me one-eyed trouser snake’

11 Bolders { 04.16.13 at 11:52 am }

Funny how quickly the worst aspects of a show becomes the most prominent (Hello Sophia and Ashley from MKR who have darkend the visage of that show for me this season – thanks for making me miss weeks of MKR).

In the Voice it seems to be showcasing the antics of the judges and their fake grooving in their chairs and schmoozing of the poor hapless contestants.

I mean how can bloody Ricky think that every contestant is a Star ? And earlier the hyperbole reached overdrive when apparently he just witnessed Australian music history. History! And it just happened.

12 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 11:55 am }

CB In the 60s and 70s silly rude humour was considered hillarious fun to be shared with the whole family. My parents had whole albums of rude and suggestive albums that tittilated all the oldies.
And then there were the lovely little toilet ornaments and knick-knacks like the monk that lifts his frock to show his penis.
For those who don’t know it was about about the same era as the lava lamps.

13 Culinary Boner { 04.16.13 at 12:23 pm }

I also recall the smut and ribaldry of those days, which would pop up in all sorts of places to amuse me when in my early teens.

The tit mag collection at the local barber shop – which made the inaptly named Mod Hair Ken the go-to place for us greasy long-haired dandruff factories to get a trim (needs an inch off, please).

The surfing mags featuring Captain Goodvibes – http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f24ZCYpiuLQ/Ta–jpTADmI/AAAAAAAAA_Q/DdMtMR6w-_A/s1600/Captain+Goodvibes+DB.jpg

The Suzi Quatro album my uncle bought me that featured the chorus-
“Whatcha doin’
Who ya screwin’ ”
– that the whole family got to bop to and enjoy.

Raver, will probably find this thread now hijacked by all us old farts who inhabit this site.

14 DDD { 04.16.13 at 12:43 pm }

Delta should at least know Barry Crocker, he was the original singer of the Neighbours theme song.

15 brain dead dave { 04.16.13 at 12:45 pm }

Did someone say “hijack’?

Well now , “One Eyed Trouser Snake ‘ et al should be credited to Barry Humphries, the songwriter. Crocker merely played the role of Barry McKenzie in the film. Crocker has always made me want to chunder.

I treasure my copy of Barry Humphries Live At Ear’s Court circa 1967,which features One Eyed Trouser Snake., I’d Love To Have A Sheila Called Sheila and more.

Here’s a favouorite lyric from my teens. I’ll take it over Gotye anyday.

“It would take a gold miner
To find her vagina
Cos the hair on her dickie dinah
Hangs down to her knees”

16 brain dead dave { 04.16.13 at 12:49 pm }

Oh, ****. make that “Earl’s Court”….and pass me a Foster’s.

17 layla { 04.16.13 at 12:57 pm }

Michael Paynter is an amazing young guy. I’ve known of him before his days with The Veronicas. He used to perform in Youth Week programs/ Battle of the bands and other contests. He comes from my area. Hoping there’s a repeat on so I can watch his performance.

I have to LOL at some of the comments here calling MKR a joke. The Voice is no different. The judges are there simply to revamp their own careers and once the hype is over the winner will be dropped from their record label never to be heard from again. It’s happened with majority of contestants from these singing shows – The Voice will be no different. But you know, feel free to be sucked into believing what actually happens on this show is legit, it makes great comedy for people like myself.

18 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 1:01 pm }

Well it didn’t quite die after the 60’s & 70’s, look at all the stuff that came out during the 80’s where hard rock/hair metal bands took that stuff to new levels, just look at some of the song titles bands like W.A.S.P. put out. Unfortunatly all the crude songs overshadowed some of their more brilliant songs such as “Forever Free” or “Sleeping in the Fire.” Those songs got virtually no publicity in Australia.

19 brain dead dave { 04.16.13 at 1:05 pm }

If Michael Paynter is desperate enough to be on The Voice-he’ll be shit, too. The Veronicas were shit.

The upside of The Voice, is that it’s light hearted and doesn’t include the likes of Braces and Tatts being sucked up to each episode..

20 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 1:09 pm }

Agree with you Layla, just look at the artist that are being selected to represent the Voice. I havn’t seen much that impressed me. Would love to see someone try something like this.

21 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 1:20 pm }

Sorry wrong version in previous post. This is the real one.

22 2ndhand { 04.16.13 at 1:29 pm }

Wow, Hammer, that is amazing. Would the judges know how to cope with this sort of talent?? (No offense to the judges, they just appear to have diminished THEIR talent by all the buffoonery and theatrics they are carrying on with. ) And GOD I wish they would change their clothes.

23 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 1:31 pm }

I don’t think the chairs would turn the judges would be too scared to be shown up by a voice that leaves their own for dead….

24 2ndhand { 04.16.13 at 1:35 pm }

I actually preferred the version in your first post. Both are brilliant though.

25 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 1:36 pm }

Can you believe they kicked a girl with that kind of a voice out of their band.

26 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 1:48 pm }

BDD@15 The young louts I sometimes hung out with liked the song about the hirsuit young lady.
But the parents and grandparents had the not-funny rude albums and ornaments. All the children could join in for the laugh. I was just old enough to think it was lame, but not old enough to think it was hilarious.
Mind you there were those times when everything was funny, but they went with a lot of snacks are are a different story althogether.

27 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 2:03 pm }

Would also love to see a guy who could rival a voice like this.

Although once again I don’t think the judges would be able to work with a voice like this.

28 Joseph Skyrim { 04.16.13 at 2:19 pm }

@Hammer of Thor – Awesome! I love Nightwish! Also a fan of Within Temptation. I have no sound on my compy here but will certainly give those links a listening to when I get home. :)

29 Hammer of Thor { 04.16.13 at 3:10 pm }

Well Joseph you might also enjoy this one, Have you listened to much Leaves Eyes .

30 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 3:43 pm }

I can’t let the day pass without expressing my heartfelt sympathy to those affected by the Boston bombing.

31 layla { 04.16.13 at 3:51 pm }

Its so horrible Daisy. Reading about it is one thing but seeing photos of children covered in blood and being wheeled into an ambulance is another thing all together…

32 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 4:07 pm }

Same Layla, seeing and hearing about those people, especially the kids.

33 Littlepetal { 04.16.13 at 4:11 pm }

The Boston bombing is really really horrible. I have been to many running events. I have ran them, volunteered in them or just being a spectator in those events.

My mind keep visualising all the occasions where I was near the finishing line. Where will I be? Being me I know I will hang around for a while.

Hubby has a friend who was in it. Luckily for him, he was a fast runner and he crossed the finish line before the bombs went off.

34 Littlepetal { 04.16.13 at 4:11 pm }

35 layla { 04.16.13 at 5:09 pm }

An 8 year old boy was killed watching his dad run in the race. No words.

To hear of people having limbs blown off or horrifically amputated in medical tents is just so traumatising to hear.

36 Jeremy { 04.16.13 at 5:26 pm }

That fat chick friend of Mitchell Steele is downright annoying and scary. Who the heck does she think Mitchell Steele is? Some kind of princeling? Saying crap like “You better do your job Delta”. You should consider your friend to be lucky love that Delta turned around at all because he was pretty mediocre.

37 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 5:44 pm }

Heartless animals to bomb the innocent without care.

38 Loz { 04.16.13 at 8:03 pm }

Well, Delta would know who Barry Crocker was, after all she was in Neighbours and he was once the voice of Neighbours (and should be again IMO).

39 Daisy { 04.16.13 at 11:23 pm }

Loz, Delta would definitely know Barry Crocker but I don’t think she saw him. There was no reason for them to fake not knowing he was there because they didn’t let the great grandson through.

I think BC was doing the right thing and laying low, and the kid didn’t try and use it for his ‘story’.

40 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 10:14 am }

The line-up last night was pretty mediocre. Delta draped herself on her throne to try and entice one male contestant into her team. Maybe she doesn’t have much confidence in her ‘singing’ talent either. Funny but I can’t remember whether or not it worked.

41 brain dead dave { 04.17.13 at 10:27 am }

Mediocre I’m sure it was , Georgie. The Today Show was reprising the “highlights” and furiously turd polishing the acts this morning.

I saw Delta’s lame seduction routine , a “highlight’ apparently.

The acts are so offensively inoffensive and beige while the embarrassingly parasitic families and friends are a disgrace to humanity. The nauseatingly overblown back stories have sod all to do with the noble art of music.

Still, the big attraction is that it’s basically good, clean family viewing ~ without Braces and Tatts.

42 Georgie { 04.17.13 at 10:44 am }

Damn right about the attraction of The Voice bdd. I’ve even considered taking up reading again.

43 suesnews { 04.23.13 at 10:11 pm }

I thought Louise Roussety was HEAPS better than Michael Paynter tonight, and it’s so wrong to the nepotistic way in which Delta just rolled Paynter through the whole thing, red-carpet style. Wrong wrong wrong.