Survivor Caramoan – One Of The Best Tribal Councils Ever

Survivor again showed last night why it is one of the best reality shows on television when it gave the viewers an edge of your seat tribal council, but before we talk about that lets start from the beginning.

After last week’s confusing tribal council it was unclear whether Malcolm favourites alliance knew he had turned. This episode certainly showed he had ostracised himself from his main alliance with him not being included in the group meetings. The alpha males were definitely vulnerable. At some point it looked like Andrea might have the potential to flip as she was enjoying their company and who wouldn’t as those boys are definitely eye candy. However as soon as she realised this hanging out was making them vulnerable she stopped talking to them.

Phil and Cochrane’s alliance appeared tight and they thought Dawn would be impossible to beat but were pleased she had betrayed so many people in the game but Cochrane should realise none of these are not on the jury! Michael is the first jury member and she did not have anything to do with his demise.

Dawn was unravelling though. She was suffering from sleep deprivation and losing her retainer in the water sent her into hysterics. She called out to Brenda asking her to find it and threatening to pull herself from the game if it was not found. For some reason she did not want the other team mates to know about the retainer. To think after nearly three weeks in the same clothes and unwashed there was still a shred of vanity there.

Brenda dived and did retrieve it and had a relieved Dawn sobbing on her shoulder. Brenda seemed to think they both had each others backs and it will be interesting to see if this holds true in the up coming episodes.

For once Phillip  was right whe he said Dawn was living in a total paranoid state and Cochrane bought up his One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest analogy again.  However unlike Brandon at least Dawn admitted she felt unstable but her equilibrium was restored after a good nights sleep.

The reward challenge was similar to one in the previous season an obstacle course with buried sacks in mud. Malcolm first team mate up did what Jonathan did last time and pulled all the bags out of the mud so his team mates coming through behind him can just grab them. This strategy saw a win for Jonathan’s team last time but the other team got cluey and did the same thing once they saw what Malcolm was doing and grabbed the prize.

The reward was a trip to a resort with food, a shower and a pool.

Phillip just dived into the pool without taking the time to  wash the mud and rice making it dirty. It was a low move. Who did he think was going to clean it after him? Erik looked like he was fed up and gave his longest grab to camera for the whole game saying that this was just his style that he did not think before he does something.

Cochrane was happy at the reward as he was eating protien so it could turn him “into the immunity challenge monster he has become”.

The immunity challenge was a water one and was always going to favour the alpha males. Alpha male in his mind Phillip decided to sit the challenge out as it was too long under water this fear evolved from an incident he had as a boy being trapped in a pond.   It was no surprise that Reynold won, battling it out with Malcolm.

Then a desperate Malcolm decided to try and find the immunity idol which he did but Dawn and Andrea were there with him when he got it so it was no secret. What was a secret was that he had another one and at tribal council he handed that one to Eddie.

This led to host Jeff Probst looking like this!

Also Cochrane who is a scholar of the game at least looked amused by it all even though this meant one of his main alliance was going home. There was whisperings by the favourites, which I thought should not have been allowed, and it looked like the target was going to be Andrea. However Malcolm declared his alliance were going to vote for Phillip  as he “sucks the fun out of the game”.

Phillip who thinks he is such a clever strategist told his team to vote in the original way, that is for the alpha boys, his rationale was they might not play the idol. This meant their three votes plus Erik’s vote for ‘Fillup’ (I am hoping he deliberately spelt it that way) meant he was eliminated and in fact Phillip was author of his own demise.

Survivor Caramon on GO Channel Thursday nights at 7.30pm or repeated on 4.30pm on Saturdays on GO. Well worth watching.

1 Trent { 04.19.13 at 9:25 am }

This is why i love Survivor.

Could almost say this has been my favourite season of all time!
The tribal councils are epic viewing.

This show should be rating through the roof.

Loved Dawn’s comment the next morning when she mentioned having that shower was the best feeling ever as she eleqouently put “I am losing my marbles” i totally agree i gained respect for Dawn because atleast she recognises she was acting like a crazy woman.

Nice to see a smidge more of Brenda.

2 JStar { 04.19.13 at 9:42 am }

Don’t worry Phil from TAR. Dimples has nothing over you when it comes to eyebrow arches. Excellent screenshot RR. I think that move by Malcolm was so shocking that even botox could not stop a furrowed brow appearing on the perfect features of Dimples!

You can guarantee that Malcolm will be asked back for another season of Survivor in the future (although he will have a massive target from Day One now). Malcolm has been involved in several crazy tribal councils this season and last season with immunity idols being thrown everywhere.

Cochran’s analogy about “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest” pretty much sums up this season. Crazy Phillip. Crazy and angry Shamar. Certifiable Brandon Hantz. Cuckoo Dawn. And crazy antics and blindsides at Tribal Council. The part of the Jack Nicholson character is played by Malcolm. Brenda and Erik both inhabit the roles of the silent chieftain. Cochran, obviously, will play the role of the narrator (with that biting wit of his).

3 Daisy { 04.19.13 at 9:56 am }

Wow!
Phillip was a pig, and a selfish one to get in the pool like that. He probably went to the toilet in there too. People in America now know not to swim with Fillup. ( Is Erik referring to his undies?)
Dawn has forgotten people all over the world are watching and now know she wears a retainer. But thank goodness, at least her team mates will never find out. ^-^
I hated Brenda last season, but this time around she’s a lovely Wonder Woman. Considering her scheming and power in the last season, I’m sure her brain is cunningly plotting. She may easily get to the final three.
I hope the hot boys last. I’d love to see them in the final three. But what are the chances. Call me RR when the Survivor Hot Boys calendar comes out.

4 Trent { 04.19.13 at 10:02 am }

Phillip irritated me on so many levels.

When the grub jumped in the pool all dirty without showering that was disgusting.

He was a bad sport when he refused to compete in the water challenge. That was total crap about being scared of water (Hes competed in many water challenges)

Karma came and bit him on the ass and i am sure Dimples loved that!

Yes please a calender of Malcolm and Eddie would be great.. Not so keen on reynold!

5 Daisy { 04.19.13 at 10:10 am }

Trent, there are one or two hotties from the other seasons that could appear in the calendar. I would love there too be a Survivor Hot season. Brenda could be in it.

I do think Reynold looks cute but sometimes I usually think the good looking survivors look better in their wild state than they do with the spit and polish.

Any of those 3 guys should go on the Bachelor. Women would kill to get a chance to vie for them.

6 fiona { 04.19.13 at 10:11 am }

Finally Brenda gets her second confessional.
After Brenda found Dawns retainer she said she would never betray her, is this a foreshadowing of Dawn stabbing another player in the back to further her own game.
Tribal council was interesting but the three amigos only bought themselves three more days, lets hope that they are able to infiltrate SRU now that Phillip is gone. He was the glue that was holding that alliance together.
This season is starting to redeem itself after the horrible first half.
Can’t wait for next week!!

7 Daisy { 04.19.13 at 10:17 am }

Fiona, Trent who do you think will step up as the new apparent front man to replace Fillup? I am thinking Cochran will be pulling the strings.

8 Trent { 04.19.13 at 10:25 am }

Brett from Samoa definately Maybe Matt from Redemption Island too.. could be added to that list.

For the girls, Totally agree about Brenda i would say also Amanda Kimmel, Whitney Duncan and Angie the cookie lover was gorgeous..

OMG i love Survivor!

Fiona – I thought the same thing about that when you mentioned Dawn going to stab Brenda in the back in a future episode! It is a shame really i would like to see a Dawn Brenda and Malcolm final.

9 Trent { 04.19.13 at 10:31 am }

Daisy – I think your right, Either Cochran will step up (Who i think may win if he makes the finals)..

Or Andrea who i think is at the bottom of her alliance.

Sherry is also at the bottom but may be a good one to take to the finals as i dont think she would get many votes maybe?

10 Daisy { 04.19.13 at 10:40 am }

Yes, I was thinking Sherry would try to step in but I think she joined too late. Cochrane may have been quietly pulling the strings all along. I think only Dawn seriously thought Fillup had the power. The rest were letting him mouth off and were ALL trying to do a Boston Rob on him.
Thank God (and not in a weird survivor religious fanatic way) that Fillup is gone and we have hopefully seen the back of his pink undies for the last time.

On the otherhand, if I didn’t think Shamar was probably still suffering PTM, I wouldn’t mind seeing them together on the Survivor Mixed Nuts season. I might be scared that cannabalism could eventuate though.

11 Q { 04.19.13 at 10:46 am }

Even though I’d prefer someone else to win,I think Cochran will win this season, he’s had prominent confessionals every episode so far.

12 Reality Raver { 04.19.13 at 10:50 am }

JStar – Forgot to say you have taught me well I saw two flags in the episode which indicated it was about to go pear shaped. First early on when Andrea said it was going to be a straight forward or uncomplicated tribal, and later when Phillip getting cocky thinking he could get to final three and possibly the win.

Daisy – Agree think they all look hotter/better in their natural state on Survivor.

Tend to think at the moment Brenda, Dawn and Cochrane are looking the strongest but think Erik who is doing nothing will get there by accident as no one thinks he is a threat!

I have just put up a really good interview with Corrine she was hilarious and she tells us why Brenda has not been getting any air time.

Yes Trent add in Parvati and Yul and Jonathan please to the hotties list and can’t believe I am saying this but what about Boston Rob?

Fiona – agree has turned into a ripper season

13 Reality Raver { 04.19.13 at 10:51 am }

Q – yep Cochrane is looking strong. I hope he does win as he is a fave of mine. I am liking Dawn as well.

14 fiona { 04.19.13 at 10:54 am }

Daisy- I’m hoping Cochran will step up in some form or another because i love him to death. I don’t think it will be as the “figure head” like the specialist was but i can see him influencing the votes. I think he is in the best position right now. Nobody is trying to target him from what we know of.
Trent- If Sherri gets to the end she will get zero votes. I can’t think of one person who would vote for her, Reynolds and Eddie wont vote for her. I doubt Michael will since she helped vote him out and Phillip wants a favorite to win.

15 Daisy { 04.19.13 at 11:08 am }

Fiona, Cochrane knows the better position is often the invisible power behind the throne. And I think he has already been reigning from there.

RR, Boston is icky to me and will have to get to the gym.
I think he has seen the back of his prime.

16 A.P { 04.19.13 at 11:30 am }

What a fantastic tribal council! I was on the edge of my seat.
Did you see Malcolm say “bastards” in Phillip’s direction once he realised that the vote was still going the same way planned in order to flush those idols out? But Phillip must have known the three amigos would vote him out so he cooked his own goose, serve him right!
Phillip jumping in the pool filthy was absolutely disgusting, what a pig!
Can’t wait for next week, hope the three amigos can get the others on their side.

17 Q { 04.19.13 at 11:39 am }

RR- did you interview Corinne/Julia etc over a week after their elimination is aired? If so, are you allowed to asked about future episodes that have aired (e.g. could you have asked corinne what she thought of michaels exit etc)?

18 Reality Raver { 04.19.13 at 12:02 pm }

Q – Thanks – no I interviewed her last week before Michael’s exit. Also Micheal’s interview should be up this evening.

19 Izobel2 { 04.19.13 at 7:23 pm }

Great tribal!
Go Cochran!
Does this mean there will b2 idols back in play? There’s hope for Malcolm yet !
Good luck with your interview with special agent underpants RR!
Hi JStar.
Add JT to the hotties list!

20 rob { 04.20.13 at 8:03 am }

Dawn didn’t get upset due to her losing her retainer. She lost her retainer during a challenge weeks ago. She got upset because her bottom teeth fell in the water since she didn’t have a retainer. Not sure if it was the whole row of teeth or just a few. She went nuts though.

21 Anonymous { 04.20.13 at 9:34 am }

Yay, finally we got to see Brenda speak!!!!!! We thought all this time she was being ignored by the producers, but turns out she just didn’t say much.

Yeah, Phillip jumping in the pool without showering first was disgusting. That aerial shot of the beautiful blue pool, and him there surrounded by all that mud, looked horrible.

Yeah, Tribal Council was brilliant. Seeing them all whispering trying to decide what to do, was hilarious. I was trying to listen to what Jeff was saying, while trying to read what they were whispering. Wasn’t sure if Malcolm was going to play is idol after all. He seemed to hesitate, but then played it. He really didn’t want to though, but lucky he did or he would have been gone.

22 Sioux Denim { 04.20.13 at 10:43 pm }

Whoop, whoop…loved it!
I was thinking they may have targetted Andrea, but overjoyed beyond happiness with Phillip’s demise….please RR grill him hard in his interview! Especially about his pig-dog behaviour getting in the pool filthy…
Finally Brenda speaks…..agree with above that she and Erik are the dark horses, hoping for a Cochrane win.
Eye candy has been exceptioal this season too!

23 daisy { 04.20.13 at 11:07 pm }

RR Your Fillup interview; be vewwy, vewwy carefuw. You’ll be like Jodie Foster interviewing Hannibal Lecter. Make sure he wears his muzzle.

24 emp { 04.21.13 at 1:02 am }

i don’t think the season is particularly great with characters such as shamar and phillip. i do think it has picked up post merge and it is the tribal councils that are the most exciting.
however the amount of idols being found is ridiculous. i liked it when they actually had clues but now it seems so easy that one person can simply ‘find’ one just by poking around some holes. either make them very difficult to find or don’t use any!

25 Carole { 04.21.13 at 8:30 am }

That anonymous post was me, didn’t realise my name wasn’t on it. Watched the Ponderosa clip of Phillip and ironically the first thing he does when he gets there is have a shower. Go figure!!!!!

26 JStar { 04.21.13 at 11:12 am }

@Izobel2 – Hi back to you. I have been reading, just not posting but have emailed RR with questions for the latest boot and my predictions for the week. Was way off with Phillip because he just had so much screentime. I know people here have wondered if Brenda or Erik actually existed. Corrine’s interview gave a hilarious insight but I also think it would be also intimidating for returning players to play against people who have done better than them (Phillip); or were more memorable than them (Cochran); or had such suffocating personalities (Phillip and Brandon). Well that’s my belief as to why Brenda may be quieter this season. Plus, she is not controlling the alliance as in the first time she played.

If we look at screentime as a template to decide who might make it to the end, a lot of people here would hope that means Cochran is in the final three. The only caveat is that like Penner last season, Cochran gives great one-liners the producers and audience love. So his screentime emphasis may be more to do with his biting wit than his longevity. Still, unlike Penner, Cochran is in the majority alliance. So what about “crocodile teeth” Dawn who is getting a lot of screentime and losing it mentally at camp. I think she is getting the sort of edit Lisa got last year – always shown crying – plus Dawn is being set-up as the backstabber of the season (Fran, Corrine, Malcolm, and Brenda’s second ever confessional of not ever wanting to turn against Dawn seals it for me). I suspect Dawn makes it to the end but will be torn to shreds by a very bitter jury. Who the other two finalists will be is anybody’s guess. We all want my alter-ego “Clark Kent Cochran” to be there. The game is afoot. :)

27 Techhater { 04.21.13 at 6:03 pm }

Desi and I have just watched this week’s ep and seriously after 2 challenges how is Phillip still covered in mud. Just don’t get that. We are so glad to say Bye Bye to Phillip “Best Tribal Council EVER.” Didn’t see that coming at all but WTF it was the best!

28 Jilly { 04.21.13 at 10:53 pm }

Yah! We were off our seats cheering that Phillip was gone. This was the best tribal council ever, and the reason after all these years that I don’t miss Survivor. I hope the boys make it a long way, but I would like Cochran to win this time.

29 daisy { 04.23.13 at 10:57 am }

I don’t know why Survivor is getting so few comments compared to MKR which has had a pretty crappt seasons. Survivor keeps yo hanging out for the next hair-raising week.

30 Carole { 04.24.13 at 9:17 am }

I agree Daisy, Survivor is a way better show than MKR.

31 Carole { 04.29.13 at 7:53 am }

Is there a recap of last weeks episode or did I miss it?