Celebrity Splash – Start Date And Judges Announced

Celebrity Splash kicks off next Monday night on SEVEN in what could be car crash TV. It will screen on Channel Seven Monday and Tuesday night at 7.30pm. It will be an interesting social media aka Twitter battle between the two shows.

Joining hosts Kylie Gillies and Larry Emdur are judges Australian Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham, Australian Winter Olympic skier Alisa Camplin and US Olympic diver and mentor on US  Celebrity Splash Greg Louganis.

Hopefully the judges will be better than the reviews the ones the US show is getting which includes Australia’s Steve Foley. Reality Blurred in this article calls them the worst reality judge ever. It should be noted Greg Louganis is NOT a judge on that show so is not being criticised.

Todd McKenney revealed in today’s paper he was approached but turned it down, which is a pity as there is no on on the panel who has that a lot of reality TV experience.

The West has the drill on how the competition will work:

The stars only get one shot at the dive and during the heats, contestants will be judged on a mix of technique and courage, plus the audience at the pool will also vote for a favourite. Then there will also be a home viewer vote to put through somebody to the semifinals.

Even though it is a silly reality TV show, diving is quite dangerous and there have been a few injuries during training including Laura Csortan, Josh Thomas and Brynne Edelsten also got bruising. Also apparently Brynne’s fake breasts could be a OH&S hazard according to this interview with the Daily Telegraph.

Celebrity Splash on SEVEN Monday 29 April at 7.30pm.

1 Windsong { 04.25.13 at 6:10 pm }

I’ll be honest. Speaking just for myself… even the ads for this make it look dreadful. These “celebrities” are mostly people I’d cross the street to avoid (Josh Thomas? Brynne Edelsten?!). I don’t have the words for how much effort I’ll put into avoiding this show. Eugh.

2 daisy { 04.25.13 at 7:26 pm }

I might have to watch just once to see how to make a show out of NOTHING!

3 PollyB { 04.25.13 at 10:55 pm }

Is anyone really going to watch this? It sits about 1mm above what’s her name’s show. Michael Clarkes’ ex fiance. God, that bungle Bingle woman!!! I couldn’t remember her name for the life of me.

4 Reality Raver { 04.25.13 at 11:08 pm }

I am going to check it out

5 brain dead dave { 04.25.13 at 11:14 pm }

I’ll give it a whirl but mainly for train wreck potential.

I was just looking at a photo of Denise Drysdale as a go-go dancer in the 60’s. She was a real fox.

6 Littlepetal { 04.26.13 at 12:28 am }

I think there will be a few laughs.

7 Georgie { 04.26.13 at 12:31 am }

And a few belly flops.

8 Francis Chu { 04.26.13 at 7:17 am }

I will watch just to see if Kylie ends up in the pool – fully dressed.

9 A.P { 04.26.13 at 8:33 am }

I’ll be having a look, makes a change from cooking , weight loss and singing shows at least.

10 PollyB { 04.26.13 at 9:20 am }

Well, looks like I’m in the minority on this one!

11 Veronicali { 04.26.13 at 9:27 am }

I will watch. Denise still has good pins.
Could do with a better choice of hosts. I’m thinking Roy and HG.

12 Littlepetal { 04.26.13 at 9:33 am }

It will be hilarious with Roy and HG.

13 Rob { 04.26.13 at 9:42 am }

So….the judges should be divers, right? How can a skier judge a dive? Any pre tense of of being an actual talent just left the building.

14 Georgie { 04.26.13 at 10:03 am }

PollyB I think there’s potential for some ‘ouch’ humour in the show, but will probably wear thin pretty quickly. Personally I think the concept is foolhardy because it also has the potential for someone to get seriously hurt.

15 daisy { 04.26.13 at 10:04 am }

Polly I don’t think you will be. How can this show not flop?
I’ ll have to at least take a peek, even if it’ s for 5 minutes.
But it sure looks like another dose of bad TV.

16 Windsong { 04.26.13 at 5:18 pm }

Daisy — I predicted, amongst some of my FB friends, that “Celebrity Splash” will last maybe 3 episodes, and then get shunted onto 7mate and forgotten about. I reckon that’s what’ll happen.

17 Culinary Boner { 04.26.13 at 5:58 pm }

Given the premise of this show is all about sight gags, prat falls and the discomfort and hopeful humiliation of the contestants, they should have featured groups we hold in even less esteem than D-list celebrities.

A flock of shock jocks, led by Alan Jones in pastel Ralph Lauren boardies?
A mob of out-of-shape pollies with the likes of Dick Adams MP and Laurie Ferguson MP hitting the water at speed for Labor up against Joe Hockey MP and Scott Buchholz MP making a splash for the Coalition?
Or better still, an assortment of this nation’s world-class religious leaders which allows the show narrator to intone, “Who’s faith will reign supreme?” and has the likes of Cardinal Pell and Sheik Hilaly take the leap of faith from the top platform in full ceremonial garb? The Dalai Lama can even make a special guest appearance. Oh. Only one problem. No women.

These reality production companies and their commissioning TV networks have no imagination. *sigh*

18 Rosie { 04.27.13 at 10:49 am }

I’ll be watching the first episode….or at least the first five minutes of the first episode.

And yes, why on earth wouldn’t they try a bit harder to get actual divers to be judges? Alisa Camplin is a lovely wee girl, and we were, and still are, so proud of her for her Winter Olympic Gold Medal, but really, wtf does she know about diving?

And the injuries on the American version made me assume we’d have some here too. We can just hope they aren’t serious.

19 daisy { 04.28.13 at 8:44 am }

BDD@5 All of my primary school friends and I would have loved to have been Denise D on Komotion (I think) in the 60s. Lounge room gogo dancing was huge in those days.
I loved to shimmy-shake to the Easy Beats, I got Friday on My Mind.

20 Anna { 04.29.13 at 8:52 pm }

Flicked on ch7 to watch Revenge and ‘celebrity ‘ splash has been extended for another hour….

Tonight is the ONLY episode right? This show will be canned right? total and complete train wreck

21 Littlepetal { 04.29.13 at 9:03 pm }

I think there will be 6 episodes, 2 episodes per week. I actually quite enjoy it. They do have guts to try to dive.

22 cathie { 04.29.13 at 9:30 pm }

sick of these reality shows running over time… might get to see revenge at 10pm :( hope this celebrity splash gets canned

23 nanaliz { 04.29.13 at 9:34 pm }

Agree cathie, its like watching grass grow. I want my favorite show, revenge. Get this rubbish off.

24 twodogs { 04.29.13 at 9:38 pm }

Please channel 7. Pull this show and Save face. I have only one word for it- S.H.I.T.

25 cathie { 04.29.13 at 9:41 pm }

wish there was a channel especially for all these sorts of shows ie mkr, dancing with the stars, the voice, australia’s got talent etc etc, then they can run overtime all they like and not interfere with decent shows !!!

26 Techhater { 04.29.13 at 9:51 pm }

One dive was enough for me, didn’t even wait for the score.

27 Littlepetal { 04.29.13 at 9:56 pm }

I love all sports and I think it take lots if courage to do one dive. I surprise myself by saying I don’t mind the show, I always admire people who are willing to train hard and do their best. Just my kind of stuff.